Liking users' status updates.

Glitch

I think we should have the ability to like statuses. There already seems to be a community within the status bar, why not add this option?

This also helps if you don't necessarily have a response but you would like to show that you like a status update instead of letting it seemingly go unnoticed.

I've wanted to, but this is not facebook. So no support.

Many sites have a like system. Not just Facebook. I also feel like that is a very lazy excuse. If you like something from another site why not add it to yours? It's not like you're completely copying that site.

Agree with the above.
If a user likes a status, they could always notify that member in a PM or something.

That's too much work, and it also feels pretty awkward. What if you just got a random PM that just said "Nice status"?

Or just do like I did for something funny Koko posted earlier: tell them 'I like this', then go and like a random post. It all adds up to the same total.

That also feels very awkward imo.
If everyone does that it kinda makes repping posts pointless because you're not liking the post itself, which is the whole point.

Many sites have a like system. Not just Facebook. I also feel like that is a very lazy excuse. If you like something from another site why not add it to yours? It's not like you're completely copying that site.

That's too much work, and it also feels pretty awkward. What if you just got a random PM that just said "Nice status"?

That also feels very awkward imo.
If everyone does that it kinda makes repping posts pointless because you're not liking the post itself, which is the whole point.

Funny, as laziness seems to be the core reason for you wanting this to be a thing. So you can like, like, like in silence with little proper interaction. :mellow:

What's the problem with just saying 'this is funny/I like this' in the status?

Personally I feel like it will just kill the site even more. 5 posts is all it takes to make it into the daily top posters. That's pretty bad for a site as supposedly active as ours.

Likes on status's will just make it even worse since you have people like me just blatantly fishing for reps. No support.

EDIT: Plus that means even more random spambot likes

Personally I feel like it will just kill the site even more. 5 posts is all it takes to make it into the daily top posters. That's pretty bad for a site as supposedly active as ours.

Likes on status's will just make it even worse since you have people like me just blatantly fishing for reps. No support.

EDIT: Plus that means even more random spambot likes

This. Exactly this.

The difference between the spambot and average YCMer is decreasing as it is -_-

I mean FFS; I'M in the top 20 posters of the day! That never happens. With 9!

Why is it that every time someone pitches a suggestion, someone always has to say:

"It will kill the site"
Or
"This is not Facebook"

The status updates are basically carrying this website, might as well get rid of status updates completely if we don't want to be anything like Facebook.
The fact that we aren't open to new ideas is what will "kill the site".

I like the idea of liking a status. Why go through all the trouble of commenting on a status and liking a post when you could just like the status?

The problem is that people will just simply move away from posting anything in the forums. Now you don't need to know anything about anything. You can post zero times and have a pretty big status following. This isn't a chatroom, this is a site that generally revolves around card games, but sometimes has other interests. Instead the status bar doesn't even offer that and just gives us pure unfiltered drama and spam.

I know the slippery slope fallacy isn't a true argument, but I feel it applies here. If we continue to expand the status bar, the status bar will simply replace the site. Even C&O died, which is something no one would have believed two years ago. It isn't so unreasonable to restrict the influence the status bar should have.

EDIT: Case in point, right now (even in the future, if you're still reading this post). Seriously just go monitor the bar for a day and count all the things you genuinely would rep someone for in a post.

I don't think we can with the current status bar plugin, but saying this isn't Facebook is hardly an argument, but honestly you can just say lol. I remember one status of mine where everyone actually commented GDI on it so its not like its a serious bother.

The problem is that people will just simply move away from posting anything in the forums. Now you don't need to know anything about anything. You can post zero times and have a pretty big status following. This isn't a chatroom, this is a site that generally revolves around card games, but sometimes has other interests. Instead the status bar doesn't even offer that and just gives us pure unfiltered drama and spam.

I know the slippery slope fallacy isn't a true argument, but I feel it applies here. If we continue to expand the status bar, the status bar will simply replace the site. Even C&O died, which is something no one would have believed two years ago. It isn't so unreasonable to restrict the influence the status bar should have.

You don't seem to realize just how much no one posts here anyway. I don't necessarily support this or go against it, but I am sick of some of the crappy logic shutting it down. (Not just yours)

ONE. See above

TWO. This forum is hardly about YGO

THREE. I see the status bar as a good way to not deal with ignorant idiots who think they are the god of children's card games

FOUR. Do you propose we have unfiltered drama and spam on the forum itself? No? Didn't think so. Statuses are fine. 

FIVE. Do you REALLY think Repping a STATUS will stop activity here? I don't.

SIX. This isn't Facebook, you're absolutely right. Facebook freaking sucks. 

SEVEN. Repping a status? Like Facebook? Sure. But that's like saying anything that's like Wikipedia is bad because Wikipedia exists.

EIGHT. I now know how high I can count. Oh wait....

NINE. Use some logic, for god's sake. THIS QUOTE BELOW ME IS LOGIC

TEN. "Dur hur facebook" is not. 

Sorry for the rant but this feels as stupidly shot down as Instant Chat.

This.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible given what powers the mods have. It certainly wasn't possible way back when. It might be, but... more likely than not it's a YCMaker-only issue.

Feel free to read this in Denis Leary's voice

You don't seem to realize just how much no one posts here anyway. I don't necessarily support this or go against it, but I am sick of some of the crappy logic shutting it down. (Not just yours)

ONE. See above

Aix's post?

You're right. If TCG disappeared tomorrow, nobody would care right since this forum clearly operates on something other than YGO.

THREE. I see the status bar as a good way to not deal with ignorant idiots who think they are the god of children's card games

Instead of, oh I don't know, thought out constructive replies? If they still act like idiots LEARN TO IGNORE THEM AND LET BLACK SNARK AT THEM. 

FOUR. Do you propose we have unfiltered drama and spam on the forum itself? No? Didn't think so. Statuses are fine. 

Group PMs work out just fine. Besides I'm not arguing to remove the effing status bar, I just don't see any need to update it.

Instead of someone making a snappy response elsewhere, they make it on the status bar. Interesting update that could easily be a thread in General? Status bar. Ninety percent of what Black says? STATUS BAR.

I literally didn't even mention the Facebook issue.

SEVEN. Repping a status? Like Facebook? Sure. But that's like saying anything that's like Wikipedia is bad because Wikipedia exists.

Not even close. Nobody is saying Facebook is bad. Most of the people arguing against it using the Facebook logic don't want to see another clone of a social media site that could easily just be implemented in place of using the site. Plus you just said Facebook sucks.

This list should have ended at seven. Oh wait this needs to be ten items long let me just....

...bullshit some more arguments. Pika's statement was a technical detail. Our argument is a substantive one. Only difference. The fact that we are arguing using rational points lends itself to logic.

Pretty sure you said the exact same thing three times now.

And it deserves to be.

I just want to post that a lot of what goes on with the status bar doesn't fit anywhere else on the forum the majority of times, so claiming that it "kills the forum" is like claiming that planting a flower is killing the rain forests or some equally dumb analogy.

There is no reason to not allow statuses to be repped, aside from the fact that we don't know if the technology we have allows it.

ONE. See above

Aix's post?

You're right. If TCG disappeared tomorrow, nobody would care right since this forum clearly operates on something other than YGO.

Instead of, oh I don't know, thought out constructive replies? If they still act like idiots LEARN TO IGNORE THEM AND LET BLACK SNARK AT THEM. 

Group PMs work out just fine. Besides I'm not arguing to remove the effing status bar, I just don't see any need to update it.

Instead of someone making a snappy response elsewhere, they make it on the status bar. Interesting update that could easily be a thread in General? Status bar. Ninety percent of what Black says? STATUS BAR.

Not even close. Nobody is saying Facebook is bad. Most of the people arguing against it using the Facebook logic don't want to see another clone of a social media site that could easily just be implemented in place of using the site. Plus you just said Facebook sucks.

This list should have ended at seven. Oh wait this needs to be ten items long let me just....

...bullshit some more arguments. Pika's statement was a technical detail. Our argument is a substantive one. Only difference. The fact that we are arguing using rational points lends itself to logic.

And it deserves to be.

b**** this isn't even my final snark

If I snarked at you as much as you/this post deserves you would never get a moment's rest again. I just choose not to chew people out as much anymore.

And hell, if I actually care enough to "snark" at people, I actually post. I just get tired of it because posts like this exist and it's never going to end. I make statuses when I jsut want to express a quick sigh/thing i read/etc. that's not worth a thread/not worth openly starting an argument over.

Only reason I'm addressing this particular one is because you feel the need to drag me into an unrelated issue and put me down over and over for some reason =/

ONE. See above

Aix's post?

No what I just said.

Yep

I'm just saying you can avoid the whole stupid thing all together with status.

Fair enough, I just saw the logic behind why we shouldn't to be very poor at times.

You see, snappy responses start flame wars and get threads locked. People realize they can grow a pair and not continue it on the threads, which I daresay are more important/noticeable at times then the bar.

Note how I said "Not just you"

It's not a clone in anyway though- we have a narrow audience who the majority of are a minority of people. Are you implying minorities don't deserve the same as *shot*   I mean Facebook as a whole sucks- not its individual mechanics. 

I'm saying that "this would be like facebook people would post less" is bullcrap. 

Because two people mentioned FB I had to one up them *shot*

And it deserves to be.

Sure.....

Or, how about this instead of arguing with no goal: the feature is implemented while those who supported it are glad and those who do not support it see absolutely no change for the worse.

If posts can already receive reputation without needing a reason (like they used to) and you desist from refuting against the significance of those, how do you find reason to capriciously attack the repping of status updates?

It is not directly the logic being questioned, but if one is to resist against repping status updates, they are providing the same EXACT premises and conclusion that can be applied to repping posts; a widely accepted system.

More so, has it ever come across any of your minds that the concise nature of the status bar adds potential social interaction?

Here, even put simply so the illogical masses could understand.

Premise 1: Status updates are quickly made by people to quickly post thoughts and invoke small conversations.

Premise 2: Many status updates are not significant enough to warrant a topic nor are the participants desiring to have the dedication to longstanding topics.

Conclusion: People who would not post topics anyway create more social interactions by allowing rapid, transient conversations to take place where none would be allowed otherwise.

By virtue of this, status updates serve absolutely no purpose besides a means for the unmotivated or apathetic, who would otherwise lurk, to interact in some way.

I sincerely invite you to even try giving me stupidity that people should motivate themselves to post when that is of THEIR discretion (which nobody here should have any right trying to influence) or that giving people who are otherwise inert the ability to participate kills the forum.

I am genuinely one of the more unmotivated individuals of this community, which is why my interactions are almost purely through status updates. Many are very similar to me and, without the status bar, a large portion of the community would have no other means rapid, concise and entertaining enough to make participating at all worth their time.

Archived