The Pen & Sword Lounge

Ren✧

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I can go both ways

2. What genre do you like to write about? Honestly? Whatever I can push myself to do.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? Again, whatever I feel like doing at the time.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? ...to make people happy

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Broke. N

If you want deck ideas, then I recommend going to the TCG deck section. You usually see a lot of decent decks there, creative ones too. It's worth it to dig bout, 5 pages or so.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been thinking about Bujins as well, just trying to create a character to match the play style. As of right now, I have...

An old-timey detective who is just learning how to duel - Chronomaly

Misguided, fiery youth - Battlin' Boxer

Natural leader girl - Noble Knights? Heroic Challenger/Champion?

I am thinking maybe cybers, what with their new support and all.

Fire Fist. I've actually found Fire Fists to be one of the most Joyful Fic decks to use because they have such a wide variety of stuff you can do with them .

Also if it's a choice between those two, Noble Knights for the leader girl. Noble Knights work better as a repeated deck than Challengers because they have a lot of room to work around.

Boxers work pretty well as well.

Bujin... I don't so much like as a not antagonist deck because either side of the playstyle doesn't feel right for a protag to me. But it is your fic of course. They make such a lovely deck for an antagonist however.

Bujin... I don't so much like as a not antagonist deck because either side of the playstyle doesn't feel right for a protag to me. But it is your fic of course. They make such a lovely deck for an antagonist however.

I've thought that; that Bujins would be better served as an antagonist deck than protagonist. I haven't played them, but from what I gather about how they started with Yamado or whatever it's called and then it recycling and ditching and adding all its servants to protect it with trolly hand and grave traps, it just give me the impression of "It's all about Me, and everyone else in this deck is going to serve and protect Me."

But other people disagree with me and think "durr, it's definitely the Hero's deck."

I've thought that; that Bujins would be better served as an antagonist deck than protagonist. I haven't played them, but from what I gather about how they started with Yamado or whatever it's called and then it recycling and ditching and adding all its servants to protect it with trolly hand and grave traps, it just give me the impression of "It's all about Me, and everyone else in this deck is going to serve and protect Me."

But other people disagree with me and think "durr, it's definitely the Hero's deck."

The deck can basically play like that, which lends itself a lot to an antagonists playstyle, or it can go overwhelming offence, which again lend themselves to antagonists more, and they can basically swap between the two in fic. Which makes it really nice for an antagonist again.

I mean... the playstyle of: Sit back and let you break yourself on me has never seemed like an especially viable one for a protagonist who plays a lot.

The deck can basically play like that, which lends itself a lot to an antagonists playstyle, or it can go overwhelming offence, which again lend themselves to antagonists more, and they can basically swap between the two in fic. Which makes it really nice for an antagonist again.

I mean... the playstyle of: Sit back and let you break yourself on me has never seemed like an especially viable one for a protagonist who plays a lot.

There is one other thing. Baddies with Light Decks are automatically cool. (See Sartorius, Kaito, others?)

In fact baddies using anything besides Dark is a welcome change of pace.

On that note; what about Artifacts? Would they be viable as a villian deck or are they definitely only viable as a hero deck?

Also, spoilers?

There is one other thing. Baddies with Light Decks are automatically cool. (See Sartorius, Kaito, others?)

On that note; what about Artifacts? Would they be viable as a villian deck or are they definitely only viable as a hero deck?

Also, spoilers?

I don't really mind the whole: He's evil, he uses a DARK deck, because I'd rather it be a good fit playstyle wise than care about that.

Artifacts... Whilst they are a very villanous deck in theory more than protagonist, I don't think they should be either. Even if it's a bit cliche, they lend themselves to the role of  Mystic more than anything else I think. Either than or Villian yeah, since they are by far and away good enough for a Villian.

Spoilers?

1. Do you prefer to write or to review?

Write! I just get too lazy to review cards; reviewing someone's fan-fiction makes it worse.

2. What genre do you like to write about?

Sci-Fi/Fantasy; Fanfictions sometimes but I got addicted at one time and had to stop. I mean, I could go with any genre as long as it has a supernatural element or something with pizaz to it.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)?

I've tried to do short stories, but I end up with novels. I do like to read short stories though; I don't have the time with long books right now. Also the fanfiction but still trying to hang in there.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write?

I was told I had a voice by my 11 grade English teacher, Ms.T. I have a long life a self-esteem issues, so being told I have a talent in something has inspired me to take this path, but I believe I might have lost it.

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Sanji.

[spoiler=The good life] Download-Sanji-One-Piece-New-Wallpaper.j

If only I had the lungs of a English street walker and the suit, I would do this as I write.

[/spoiler]

Accepted!

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I can go both ways

2. What genre do you like to write about? Honestly? Whatever I can push myself to do.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? Again, whatever I feel like doing at the time.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? ...to make people happy

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Broke. N

If you want deck ideas, then I recommend going to the TCG deck section. You usually see a lot of decent decks there, creative ones too. It's worth it to dig bout, 5 pages or so.

Accepted! The reason that I don't like using most of the decks in the TCG section, is that they are not pure enough(insert pretentious hair flip). No, but really, you'll see decks that use a lot of different archetypes in conjunctions and I prefer my characters to stick with a more exact theme.

Fire Fist. I've actually found Fire Fists to be one of the most Joyful Fic decks to use because they have such a wide variety of stuff you can do with them .

Also if it's a choice between those two, Noble Knights for the leader girl. Noble Knights work better as a repeated deck than Challengers because they have a lot of room to work around.

Boxers work pretty well as well.

I've been going between Fire Fists and Battlin' Boxers for some time. I definitely don't want them on the same 'side' but I suppose Fire Fists could definitely go with a minor antagonist or something.

Also, spoilers?

I think Artifacts as an antagonist's deck would be interesting. Send in a hot headed protagonists, tries to destroy opponent's face downs, and WOOPS you have just unleashed a can of whoop ass on yourself. But I think they could be a viable option for either. And are you asking for spoilers from me? I guess I could post the prologue...

I think Artifacts as an antagonist's deck would be interesting. Send in a hot headed protagonists, tries to destroy opponent's face downs, and WOOPS you have just unleashed a can of whoop ass on yourself. But I think they could be a viable option for either. And are you asking for spoilers from me? I guess I could post the prologue...

Antagonist first turn. Sets 4 and ends turn.

Hero thinks whut, attacks anyway despite friends pleas not to...

MalevolentCatastrophe-SDCR-EN-C-1E.png

Yeah I have got to stop thinking about this sort of thing but so many fun looking decks since Cosmo Blazer :D

I wouldn't even do those sorts of things with Artifacts. I'd have the protag play some kinda Continous spell, or something that's MST-able, Antag plays MST, targeting his own thing, gets out an Artifact, who then gets out others, and Blue guy goes slice. 

It seems less dumb on the Protags part that way.

It was just an idle thought. I'm not writing a f*cking Yuma character, but then in fanfic world all cards often aren't universal knowledge (see DZ).

I'm never gonna do anything with it.

Hmm, good writing? Well, not writing like a five yar old is a start. Decent grammar while trying not to be pretentious helps. But honestly, so long as a story and protagonists are good most readers will overlook even the most horrific spelling and grammar so long as you don't it too often.

Also, Bujin are an evil deck, just syaing. It used to be squat on Yamato so he fills the grave with Turtles, Quilins and Hares, whilst also loading your hand with Cranes. But it now has a meaner turbo variant that makes malicious use of Hirume. It used to be all about Yamato, but he still plays a very integral part in the start-up of Bujin.

Just for discussion, can anyone put into words what constitutes to good writing?

Depends how you define good writing.

I generally like to draw a distinction between the schools of it being a technically brilliant piece of writing, and being a good story. Since, the former doesn't actually lend itself briliantly to the latter I find; technically perfect writing lacks the passion that brings a story to life I tend to find. It's true of other styles of fiction as well I think: Technically perfect poetry is really dull, and I would much rather read something with only decent technical writing, but has a lot of passion behind it.

This is ignoring the obvious stuff like spelling grammer punctuation, it being of a suitable standard ect

But it's more an entirely personal thing to what constitutes good writing in the first place.

It was just an idle thought. I'm not writing a f*cking Yuma character, but then in fanfic world all cards often aren't universal knowledge (see DZ).

I'm never gonna do anything with it.

You might end up writing something else after this you know. Twas just how I'd approach the situation at hand.

This is like the only interesting club in all of C&O.

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I've only written a review once and while I did enjoy myself -mostly because of good company- I do prefer weaving cloth to poking holes in others'.

2. What genre do you like to write about? Sci-fi is what interests me the most. I like my stories speculative, but not outright improbable. F*** fantasy settings.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? A catchy novel will always be best. But short stories cut it too if they're juicy enough.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? Broken's kind of been my indirect mentor on writing for some time.

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Muge. N/The one who has the key to the room

This is like the only interesting club in all of C&O.

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I've only written a review once and while I did enjoy myself -mostly because of good company- I do prefer weaving cloth to poking holes in others'.

2. What genre do you like to write about? Sci-fi is what interests me the most. I like my stories speculative, but not outright improbable. F*** fantasy settings.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? A catchy novel will always be best. But short stories cut it too if they're juicy enough.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? Broken's kind of been my indirect mentor on writing for some time.

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Muge. N/The one who has the key to the room

Accepted! 

As for what constitutes good writing, I've never been one to care too much about appropriate grammar and whatnot(as my numerous English teachers will attest), so stuff like that really doesn't bother me(unless of course you are just making painfully obvious mistakes). What I really like in writing is for the story to take me out of my head. If I am still thinking about my own problems while I am reading, I often deem the piece not worth my time. I need to be full captured the imagery and characters to truly like a piece of writing. Now that of course applies mostly to novel and fanfiction-like pieces. In short stories I'd much rather it pose a problem that I have to think about. So I guess in short, I don't really care about the technicalities of writing, but I need a story that can capture and hold my attention. 

As for what constitutes good writing, I've never been one to care too much about appropriate grammar and whatnot(as my numerous English teachers will attest), so stuff like that really doesn't bother me(unless of course you are just making painfully obvious mistakes). What I really like in writing is for the story to take me out of my head. If I am still thinking about my own problems while I am reading, I often deem the piece not worth my time. I need to be full captured the imagery and characters to truly like a piece of writing.

My thoughts exactly. I value my entertainment over how well-written something is. Perhaps this is why i enjoy bad movies so much....

Although an otherwise mediocre piece of fiction that does a good (read detailed) job of building its world will keep me just as engrossed as a much more entertaining work. Of course, This really only applies to science fiction and fantasy....

My thoughts exactly. I value my entertainment over how well-written something is. Perhaps this is why i enjoy bad movies so much....

Although an otherwise mediocre piece of fiction that does a good (read detailed) job of building its world will keep me just as engrossed as a much more entertaining work. Of course, This really only applies to science fiction and fantasy....

I think that is why I liked Narnia so much. The world was so interesting, but I thought the story was a little lack luster. 

Question for you all, how long do you think a prologue should be?

I think that is why I liked Narnia so much. The world was so interesting, but I thought the story was a little lack luster. 

Question for you all, how long do you think a prologue should be?

As long as it needs be to suit it's purpose.

I actually like whole chapters as prologues best of all if I'm honest. It lets you do a lot more with the prologue than it just be a brief bit of establishing text.

But really, it can be anything, so long as it's the length that suits what it's trying to do. Be it a full chapter, or just a couple sides of A4.

As long as it needs be to suit it's purpose.

I actually like whole chapters as prologues best of all if I'm honest. It lets you do a lot more with the prologue than it just be a brief bit of establishing text.

But really, it can be anything, so long as it's the length that suits what it's trying to do. Be it a full chapter, or just a couple sides of A4.

It's so hard, at least for me, to decide on appropriate length for both chapters and prologues. I have seen the fics by Bahamut and Vector Nightmare who have chapters that can reach to around 20 pages, and then I have seen fics that have 5-10 page chapters. So far for the prologue I have just a few pages worth, but now that I am going back to edit it I feel like it is too short. The struggle...

Trust me when I say that you don't need to compare yourself with other people. Quality over quantity is best, and prologues and chapters need only be long enough to keep the plot moving. There is absolutely no need to faff around with fluffy language

The insecurity is getting the better of me I guess. Can't help but feel somewhat inadequate after reading some of the works here, lol. I'm adding on to the prologue to establish a better setting and introduce a few more characters that will be seen later down the line. 

Archived