[Sakura] Number 90: Psychic Storm Guardian Lugia

No.90 心霊防風守護者ルギア

(Nanbāzu Kyūjū Shinreibōfū Gādian Rugia)

cRV7mMj.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
This card is also treated as a Psychic-Type monster. When this card is attacked: all damage you take this turn is halved. If this card attacks a monster with 2500 or less ATK: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Banish that monster at the start of the Damage Step without applying damage calculation. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked: Change it to Defense Position.

Yeah, this is Lugia as a ZEXAL Number card. I was going to post this in RC with a different name/pic, but since none were found, I had to resort to this pic and posting it here (might as well just call it by its real name)

The RC-related business aside, some analogues to its effects.

• First effect is a reflection of it being part Psychic in the actual anime/games. (It's a Dragon-Type because of its origins to the Ryujin in Japanese mythology).
  • Detach effect references Multiscale.
  • Third effect somewhat is a reference to Aeroblast (to convert Pokemon mechanics into Yugioh stuff; regular damage = Battle Destruction, critical hit = effect destruction).

Lugia's Number references its attacking stats in the game, both of which equal 90.

IMG credit: http://fc08.deviantart.net/images/large/indyart/indymisc/Dragon-Lugia.png (Thank you dragongirl on dA)

With that all said/done, CnC/love/hate/fix my OCG, etc.

Good reviews get repped.

Hmm. What I'd do:

1) Remove the detach part from the Multiscale. Instead have it trigger when attacked, and halve any damage for the rest of the turn as usual.

2) Change the Aeroblast effect to detach, up the ATK to 2500 or so. Then have it always go to Defense after battle, regardless if it used Aeroblast or not.

The reasoning is this: first of all, flavor-wise, Multiscale is an Ability while Aeroblast is a move, so it would make considerably more sense that the detach cost would go to the move (PP cost) rather than the passive ability. Next, the Multiscale effect feels... too useless here, especially when viewed in conjunction with the second effect. It's weak enough to just be a free bonus on a R8. Third, while upping the ATK limit on Aeroblast is important against certain targets (some Bujins etc), but more importantly allowing it to go on defense more consistently is crucial because not only does it dodge retaliation against things in the 2600+ range, but it lets it always dodge SHARK.

So I'd change it to:

This card is also treated as a Psychic-Type monster. When this card is attacked: all damage you take this turn is halved. If this card attacks a monster with 2500 or less ATK: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Banish that monster at the start of the Damage Step without applying damage calculation. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked: change it to Defense Position.

Overall it's a nice card, an interesting spin to R8s. Gotta say though, I'm really not feeling the picture... I've seen much more badass Lugia pics around the internet.

Oh and obligatory harf darf why Numbers complaint here, but I'm overlooking because it's Pop Culture.

EDIT: "Psychic Storm Guardian" has a better sound to it than "Storm Psychic Guardian"

Yeah, the name change sounds better (and goes with the Japanese naming I noted above)

Effect-wise, it does help keep some of the meta at bay (I considered raising its DEF to be higher; matching Lugia's base 154 SP DEF, but that would most likely require me to add a 3rd Xyz Material requirement [but I guess this correlates to its physical one])

From an RC sense, the new changes help it to survive longer and tie into its actual stats. If I do a Rank Up of this (which is unlikely), maybe I'll incorporate its main ability Pressure.

Picture-wise, I was looking for a more draconian Lugia pic for said other card [because I was going to post this in RC with different name], but that's all Google wanted to show off. I probably could've done it in Written Cards, but oh well.

Anyway, thanks for the CnC.

Archived