Bring back the Trading/Selling forums

:^)

Because scamming kids is fun :^)

But it doesn't even need to be all person to person. Possibly a moderator could be an in between person like they have on DNF. Both people send cards to mod, then mod sends off cards to people. If the mod doesn't receive cards and isn't able to contact the person who hasn't sent cards, they can send back cards. 

????

Why not :^)

inb4 long list of reasons for this to not be a thing

If people want to trade/sell stuff, they can just use Pojo or some other sites that sponsor it.

Even so, keep in mind that a lot of the staff here are student-aged [if we do have a mod keep things together, they need to be responsible with handling people's cards and such].

This would also require said parties to exchange physical addresses and whatnot in order to mail said cards over. (Then, there's the issue if two members live in different countries and shipping is a problem)

You'd have to have mods from certain countries, I'd think. Shipping would be a pain otherwise.

America to Europe etc etc.

The mod idea sounds nice, imo.

We can't trust everyone, of course.

But overall the idea sounds bad on paper for various reasons and we might as well PM.

A thread would be nice for discussing what you'd like to have though- this leaves room for more and better PMs etc etc.

Meh. Staff have enough to worry about so adding the burden of giving a fuck about some random persons cards isn't really ideal. At most a sticky in the CG sections where you can trade with someone. Aren't there some easier to use websites dedicated to this, anyway?

Aren't there some easier to use websites dedicated to this, anyway?

I mentioned Pojo earlier (that one should be pretty obvious). Not sure if Yugico does; probably do. Bottom line, there are sites that allow you to trade online. Try googling "trade cards" or something in Google; I vaguely remember a third one existing.

As Striker mentioned though (and assuming TC already knows), there were some scams that led to its end (I joined in 2009, so I wasn't here when that idea existed).

So it's a -1 on my end as well.

So that's like saying that just because Facebook exists means we don't need/have the right to such and such.

There are people I trust here and I'd rather have a community I am familiar with than some stranger-filled one that I'm going into just for trading.

Just because we can do it elsewhere does not mean it is a bad thing here; it is somewhat bad here for different reasons.

I'd appreciate it if you'd stop using things like that as support against things.

Scams and more work on mod's shoulders are perfectly legit examples; "better" places existing are not.

The forum used to have a trading system in place years ago. If I recall, there were issues with trade scams and other issues along with that. So no support.

You didn't even read the topic.

I would support if there's a moderator willing to support it who has a credible background. By that I mean if it's someone who's active enough and is known enough by pretty much everyone, so not someone like Yankee and moreso someone like Aix as an example.

My ideas against are mostly just aimed at "won't someone please think of the poor mods!?"

To make a long story short, if anything goes wrong anywhere (if the cards get lost in the mail which happens every once in a while, if the user is an asshat and 'cries wolf', if the mod is an asshat and keeps the cards and deletes/bans both users after getting their cards) the mod completely loses everything. There's no reason to take on the risk and responsibility for absolutely no reward.

And then there's the subject of if they do get a reward. That just crosses into a weird boundary I personally wouldn't want us to get involved in. If the mod does get some kind of (financial!?) compensation from this, like even just a buck or two here it feels kinda creepy.

It's not a very strong argument, and I hate that I have to use "hurr, it feels weird!" as an excuse but... that's just my thoughts on a trade forum. Shouldn't happen because extra work and extra risk for no reward feels weird for the mods, and it's not that I think the mods shouldn't be rewarded for their hard work, it just creates a weirdness to have someone accepting money for something like this.

It's alot of work for the mods to have to deal with the postal service and checking over trades, whilst trying to do other things like work or school.

Mods have a life outside of YCM? :O
jk
That's a lot to ask for of mods.

But yeah anyways, scams and such, no support. Just buy/sell each other's items on eBay or some other site if you want, idk.

Archived