Blueblood [ OoC | PG-16 | Started | Not Accepting ]

Aix

Raspberry nippon, Aix! What else must we do to appease our all mighty RP master before he gifts us with an IC worthy so much foreplay! (Aix, could I pretty please have an update to the progress on getting the IC? Maybe a date for launch? We got a lot of work here. Heck, Blu's RP is on OOC page 11 and it's been up since January while we're on 10 and pioneering the way applications are made before we even launch.)

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll wait until Vector Nightmare creates his app since he reserved early on, but I have already started working on the opening post.

Not sure if Tim Tim is serious but okay. Accepted. Rose is accepted. Mithna is accepted. Roy McQueen is accepted. Verena cannot possibly run at the speed of lightning and I'd like to know how she can emit electricity.

A lot of you are forgetting that Alfar can use Spiral Power. I even forgot lol. Spiral Power's role in mecha combat is that an Alfar pilot would often be in close proximity to his comrades. Raw channelled Spiral Power should improve a mech's durability or allow it to function for a bit longer if damaged.

For Keto's character, I'd like that the shapeshifting take a few days. For the mech, I'd actually rather not have organic mechs as Alfar would really be hunting them down for this technology.

Mech combat is similar to human combat, the typical mech's durability in comparison to their weaponry is the same as an armored human's durability compared to the weapons that a human can carry, so it is possible to cut a mech in half if you get a good opening for a very strong hit, but I'd rather not the ridiculous strength involved cutting a mech from head to toe, separating a mech's top with its bottom half is okay.

Wow. Ouch. I had assumed I had been forgotten, buried under that metric f'ton of posts. Glad to know I'm still in. As I said my week's busy as hell, but now things are getting survivable again.

Fair warning; I've only skimmed through a couple of the first applications, so I have no idea what characters we have and such (will do the rest tomorrow hopefully; ideally I wanted to do that before creating my character, but I'll just post a v1 of the app in order not to keep everyone waiting). This will probably need tweaking and such but yeah. And the whole relationships thing. For now, here's what it is:

[spoiler=Rygan]kiriga_53936.jpg
"You won't escape! Lock On!"
Personal Information
Name: Rygan Ravandwyr (Pronounced: Raigan)
Race: Alfar
Date of Birth: December 13th

[spoiler=Appearance]Pretty short, around 1.65m. Has a light build, around 60kg. Dress code varies. His preferred casual clothing consists of a red open-neck shirt (see picture) and white pants, with tall leather boots.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Personality]The number one keyword that defines Rygan is loyalty. Whether it is aimed towards his family, or towards his seniors and superiors in the Academy, or towards the Alfar race in general, it is almost his nature to obey orders and strive to fulfill others' expectations, even against his own desires and better judgment. Due to the pressure he is receiving from his family, he feels as if he is in a perpetual need to prove something. Perhaps because of these traits, his character has developed a steadfast resolve, a quiet, stoic ability to endure what he feels has to be endured.

Contradicting, or perhaps supplementing, this side of his personality, is Rygan's competitive spirit. Beyond the need to prove himself for the sake of his family, he is a person that flat-out dislikes losing, and always fights to the fullest. This sometimes leads him to reckless actions that result in reprimand. However, even upon losing, as long as he feels he tried the hardest he could, he will gracefully acknowledge the opponent's superiority and try even harder in preparation for the next time.

With the aforementioned exception of being carried away in the heat of battle, Rygan is very much willing to obey rules and instructions, maybe overly so. Arrogance is not among his traits - one of the lessons he learned from his family is that one can fall or rise in the blink of an eye. However, he tends to be self-conscious and distant, which, along with his tendency to always trying to prove himself, often comes across as arrogance and tends to make people negatively predisposed towards him.

Though he might seem like an accomplished, aspiring young soldier with a bright future, a shadow hangs over Rygan's head, as he tries to cope with the overwhelming expectations from his family, while at the same time honing his skills on the battlefield, and coping with a question that has been looming in the back of his mind for a long time - Am I following the right path?[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Backstory]Rygan is the latest progeny of the Ravandwyr family, a noble Alfar family whose past history and accomplishments stand far above its current state. Due to recent mishandled political maneuvers, as well as a series of members that failed to distinguish themselves in any notable area, the family has largely fallen out of notice and favor, and is suffering a significant financial decline. According to his father's word, Rygan is the one who will change this state of affairs, and restore the lineage to its former glory.

From a young age, Rygan showed significant aptitude in Spiral Power control, as well as exceptional talents as a pilot. Thus, he was accepted into Academy 9, where he earned some recognition and renown, and any scorn due to his family origin was generally pushed aside in favor of his ability. He was acquainted with Admiral Lonn prior to his admittance in the Academy due to his, however weak, ties to nobility. The relationship between them is rather formal - the Admiral sees potential and promise in the cadet's abilities, and Rygan respects the Admiral due to his position, reputation, charisma and sheer power.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Abilities]Expert Ship Pilot: Rygan's by far most prominent skill that has earned him most of his reputation. Rygan might not have any real talent in piloting mechs, but in the cockpit of a ship, he becomes deadly. The keyword here is accuracy. Rygan has an uncanny talent to see things, aided greatly by the way he manipulates Spiral Power. Be it dodging enemy shots, or firing his own, he can do both with extreme efficiency, which earned him the moniker 'Shooting Star', due to how he seemingly blazes in-and-out of the battlefield in simulations, delivering precise strikes in the enemy ranks' weak points while avoiding retaliation.

Spiral Power Control: Rygan does possess some distinguishable ability to manipulate Spiral Power, but the impressive part isn't in the volume - it's in the delicate, refined way with which he can shape it. He mainly uses Spiral Power as an aide to accuracy, with stunning results - he can go as far as influence his ship's sensor and tracker systems, and he can also use it on his own eyes, allowing him to perceive and predict the paths of multiple incoming projectiles at once, which he can then dodge with relative ease. He does have some ability to fuel Spiral Power into offense, defense or pure speed, but he does not focus on those aspects.

Hand-to-Hand Combat: Rygan has studied some basic martial arts and melee fighting skills. He never excelled in any of them, but he can hold his own in a brawl.

Focus: The type of fighter that can turn their sole focus to a fight, ignoring distractions. This allows Rygan to utilize his skills to the fullest. However, this trait sometimes backfires, when he becomes too caught up in the moment and forgets the larger picture.

Winged Form: This is a specific use of Spiral Power Rygan came up with during a combat simulation, where battle was taking place close to ground surface. The ship he was piloting was irreparably damaged, and he had to abandon it, which led to a quite harsh landing and death inside the simulation. To counter this inherent weakness of ships, that are way more difficult to control and land when damaged than mechs on average, he practiced an ability to apply Spiral Power in order to modify whatever uniform he's wearing into an armor equipped with wing-like appendages, that can offer some protection while allowing him to land safely. This is rather draining, and obviously a last-minute emergency measure. The wings aren't capable of sustaining flight, simply slowing down the landing.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Other]Lack of Leadership / Command Skills: Rygan excels at following orders; not so much at giving them. Basically, he's a soldier through-and-through. He neither cares about nor has the capacity to think complicated plans and maneuvers. He focuses on the enemy he must destroy, and those he must avoid, and that is all. He trusts in his superiors to decide the general course of the battle, and simply follows the commands he is given to the best of his ability, only occasionally slipping and performing some reckless stunt when things get a bit heated.

Emotes: Though he generally maintains a serious / composed expression, Rygan often smiles when anticipating a challenging battle - that smile sometimes turns into a savage grin when cornered. His catchphrase is the words "Lock On!", which he calls before delivering an enhanced-accuracy strike to a key target. (This is a tribute / reference to the character Rygan is inspired from)

Quirks: He spends an unnecessary amount of time each morning on his hair.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

(like I said, no idea what others made. Hopefully some of what I wrote is kinda different somehow)

I added Rose and Tim Tim to my application's interaction as well as a clause detailing that Lucius does not have a personalized mech unit at the moment and requisitions a standard human Valkyrie modified for combat. 

Speaking of, what are the standard mechs for the empire, anyway?

For Keto's character, I'd like that the shapeshifting take a few days. For the mech, I'd actually rather not have organic mechs as Alfar would really be hunting them down for this technology.

Well, alright I guess.  Kind of thought it made sense for the mechs to mirror the people using them.  They're also really not organic, given the whole explanation about their cells essentially being a cross between normal living cells and nanomachines.  As for the shape-shifting, making it take a few days essentially makes it useless in any real practical application.  Just thought I'd bring up a defense for things to stay the way they are.

A lot of you are forgetting that Alfar can use Spiral Power. I even forgot lol. Spiral Power's role in mecha combat is that an Alfar pilot would often be in close proximity to his comrades. Raw channelled Spiral Power should improve a mech's durability or allow it to function for a bit longer if damaged.

And the Spiral Power thing that the Alfar can do is the main reason why I feel hesitant to make the changes.  I mean hell, with the Alfar able to use Spiral Power there's nothing overpowered about Draegan as he sits.  This is, of course, just my opinion but I do feel it's a logical one.

Except the thing is that it makes no sense for another race to really be able to fully compete with the Alfar in the context of this RP. Spiral Power also has its downsides and control of it varies.

[spoiler='Typical Valkyrie']Colours may vary.

jehuty13.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Typical Mech]For more epic image (but unfortunately it's not full view): http://i.imgur.com/hEl7hGY.jpg

Gawain-line-art.jpg[/spoiler]

Except the thing is that it makes no sense for another race to really be able to fully compete with the Alfar in the context of this RP. Spiral Power also has its downsides and control of it varies.

Well, the only way he's competing with them in a physical sense is because of his own personal skill and regeneration.  As for the shapeshifting, I really didn't do a very good job of wording it but the point was for it to take about a minute so it really wouldn't come into play during combat and he personally can't grow weapons from his body.  The regeneration can't heal fatal damage anyways, and the only place where it's powerful enough to take effect is during combat.  Back on the personal skill thing, that's the result of him training heavily in close combat to make up for the shortcomings in his physical attributes, which are themselves only higher than the norm because of his training.

Ultimately, you are still the host so if this doesn't convince you I'll just be going back and making the changes necessary.

And now Verena's back story is complete. It mentions a little about her powers origins but not much. That was the thing that was giving me writer's block this whole time :/

Now all I have to work on is Verena's relationships with the others, but as I said, I wanna work on Harley first.

Which I'll do soon.

One would think they'd pay a little more attention to a virtual superhero than just letting them in willy-nilly into a military academy.

I can only speak for myself, but I wish you'd just drop the electricity. From what I've read you have no way of explaining a power like that without going into superhero grounds, and it's not like your character needed to stand out like that to be accepted.

There really isn't a need for Verena's abilities. I also dislike that she can basically kill someone by touching them as even 0.1 amps is enough to kill.

Well, the only way he's competing with them in a physical sense is because of his own personal skill and regeneration.  As for the shapeshifting, I really didn't do a very good job of wording it but the point was for it to take about a minute so it really wouldn't come into play during combat and he personally can't grow weapons from his body.  The regeneration can't heal fatal damage anyways, and the only place where it's powerful enough to take effect is during combat.  Back on the personal skill thing, that's the result of him training heavily in close combat to make up for the shortcomings in his physical attributes, which are themselves only higher than the norm because of his training.

Ultimately, you are still the host so if this doesn't convince you I'll just be going back and making the changes necessary.

The regeneration is fine, shapeshifting is rather extreme. You can just have it that he can survive the vacuum of space if you really want, but otherwise, I'd do away with it.

Rygan is accepted.

Archived