Merge General with Multimedia forums

Frunk

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the proposal and reasoning outlined below?

The idea is that the cumulative amount of content posted in the multimedia forums and general has decreased since the split.  While we can't be sure its because of the split, it wouldn't hurt to try merging them and see if it has any impact.

Well... there is all but one thing about the proposal that seems fine.

Keeping them separate actually harms nobody, as far as I'm aware. Unless having to scroll through one section you never check, which can be hidden with a button, is that much of a problem, in which case we're talking a different issue.

The separation is done solely for the purpose of indexing. If "strain on general" was the original reason for it as you say, it doesn't have to be the only one. Throwing in five books together makes one bigger book, but it doesn't make the content in question any more. You'd be making nothing be more active.

The idea is that the cumulative amount of content posted in the multimedia forums and general has decreased since the split.  While we can't be sure its because of the split, it wouldn't hurt to try merging them and see if it has any impact.

Welche has hit the nail on the head here. There is clearly a lack of activity with the forums being segregated.

Welche has hit the nail on the head here. There is clearly a lack of activity with the forums being segregated.

Science+Bitch+.+Source+imgur_ad1096_5100

It's a possible cause. I'm all up for trying to merge them together and see if there's more activity; but if it's not the case then it's better off as it is right now.

Science+Bitch+.+Source+imgur_ad1096_5100

It's a possible cause. I'm all up for trying to merge them together and see if there's more activity; but if it's not the case then it's better off as it is right now.

No, I fail to see how, even if it weren't to bring about a flurry of activity, how it would be "better off as it is right now." If my idea was implemented but its expectations not yet, the only difference is, as I've already stated, we go from 5 inactive forums to 1 inactive forum. There is no benefit to maintaining the status quo. Instead, we can have a reorganised forum index, more compact and easier to understand.

For example, there are two music-related threads that were posted in General recently, however, they were correctly placed their as one was news-related and the other was opinion-related, rather than being specifically related to artists' music. However, what is the point of having these separate? This is not a music forum. It's not even a multimedia forum, so there is no reason to attempt to segregate the two. If I was browsing a music thread, why should I not be able to click out of it and also see music news, instead of going to General?

Are you going to buy your lunch from 4 different restaurants? A burger from one, fries from another, a drink from another and a dessert from another? No. You want everything from the one place, because that is simpler, and makes more sense, especially to people who are new or not regulars here.

No, I fail to see how, even if it weren't to bring about a flurry of activity, how it would be "better off as it is right now." If my idea was implemented but its expectations not yet, the only difference is, as I've already stated, we go from 5 inactive forums to 1 inactive forum. There is no benefit to maintaining the status quo. Instead, we can have a reorganised forum index, more compact and easier to understand.

For example, there are two music-related threads that were posted in General recently, however, they were correctly placed their as one was news-related and the other was opinion-related, rather than being specifically related to artists' music. However, what is the point of having these separate? This is not a music forum. It's not even a multimedia forum, so there is no reason to attempt to segregate the two. If I was browsing a music thread, why should I not be able to click out of it and also see music news, instead of going to General?

Are you going to buy your lunch from 4 different restaurants? A burger from one, fries from another, a drink from another and a desert from another? No. You want everything from the one place, because that is simpler, and makes more sense, especially to people who are new or not regulars here.

This feels like a circular argument. I already mentioned indexing. Indexing doesn't hurt anybody because buying your lunch is easier when the menu is orderly and not all over the place.

This feels like a circular argument. I already mentioned indexing. Indexing doesn't hurt anybody because buying your lunch is easier when the menu is orderly and not all over the place.

Buying your lunch is harder when you have to walk in and out of different stores to find something you want compared to having it all in the same location.

Buying your lunch is harder when you have to walk in and out of different stores to find something you want compared to having it all in the same location.

You mean going into and outside of threads in general anyway?

Opening a new tab is also an option for the particularly lazy one. And that's, as I said, a totally different issue.

Archived