[Sakura] Renko, Angel Rider of the Ice Barrier

J6eCS9q.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner WATER monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: Add 1 "Ice Barrier" Spell Card in your Graveyard to the hand. During either player's turn, when a card effect is activated: You can banish this card; negate the effect of that card, and if you do, banish it. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this banished card. The effect of "Renko, Angel Rider of the Ice Barrier" can only be activated once per turn.

I went for an Ice Barrier version of Stardust that can recycle a Spell when it's summoned. In terms of that effect, it doesn't destroy the card like how Stardust does but banishes it [and hits any card effect]. However, it carries a hard OPT clause, so no spamming multiples of this card.

I originally planned on having it recycle the Spell Card after it revives itself, but thought that would be pushing it considering how frequent card removal is.

It also fills the Synchro Summon spectrum for Ice Barrier monsters (Brio/Dewloren -> Gungnir -> this -> Trish)

IMG Credit: http://static.zerochan.net/Cure.Beauty.full.1221995.jpg

With that said and done, CnC/love/hate/fix OCG, etc.

Good reviews get repped.

...You can banish this card; negate the effect of that card, and if you do, banish it. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

I believe you meant " You can Special Summon this banished card" in the last sentence.

The negation effect seems to be particularly strict, since most forms of removal nowadays are spot removal rather than any degree of boardwipes. I might be wrong, though.

Spell recycling has very limited targets, seeing that there are only 3 cards that qualify. Fortunately, Medallion is a tutor, which will pretty much be the major reason to run Renko. Ice Barriers don't swarm very well, unlike other archetypes with similar tutor abilities, so the reuse of tutors would be acceptable.

Yeah, I meant to said "banish". (Forgot to edit that part after I copy/pasted off of Stardust)

Recycling Medallion helps though [Triangle is nice, but requires 3 separate IBs in hand to pull off; I don't know about Mirror]. Should I change it to recycle any "Ice Barrier" card then?

I'm not too sure about what types of removal are being used nowadays (I know this stops stuff like Mirror Force/Torrential though). But you could be right about specific targeting destruction though.

You can banish this card; negate the effect of that card, and if you do, banish it. During the End Phase, if this effect was activated this turn (and was not negated): You can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is meant to SS itself from the Banished... whatever that place is called. Otherwise things get pretty weird.

Getting a spell back on summon is good on paper, but it's so restricted that it really doesn't feel good enough even with the pseudo-SLR. Sure, it can hit TT, Mirror Force and Dark Hole, but those are limited cards that don't even see that much application nowadays, considering how good alternatives are. Not to forget you still need to have 2 or more monsters out, which is a challenge on the same turn that you summoned this, and makes it a sitting duck. Plus it doesn't even destroy, so it won't get rid of Exciton.

Overall; too situational even if it were generic. The first effect is largely fine, but the second definitely needs a buff, preferably in the conditions. Even if you were to add some effect upon return, it's not going to change things, because your opponent just isn't going to trigger it - you're just giving him more incentive not to. They'd just individually get rid of it with one of the many more targeting effects around (101 and what have you).

One possible option is

During either player's turn: you can Banish this card and 1 other "Ice Barrier" monster you control and if you do, during the End Phase, Special Summon all cards Banished by this effect.

This makes it a generic dodge-anything card that extends its protection to an extra IB monster (at the cost of being unable to use it while she's alone).

Another is making it respond to any card effect, Banish itself, negate the effect and Set the card face-down, preventing it from activating until the End Phase and Special Summoning itself then. That may be more in line with the ice / freezing theme, too.

EDIT: Didn't get the new posts notification, weird. Changing the first effect to all kinds of IB cards would be a buff, but not in the right direction. You don't generally want people to only Synch into a card just to get a card back out of it, it generally just defeats the purpose. Keeping it specific is good, while powering up the second effect to make it worthwhile. Targeting removal (and targeting skills in general) is way more widespread and potent than field-wide wipes.

I fixed the banishing part on the last edit. But yeah, it will sound weird if I mention banishing for an effect but it SS from the grave.

Though point taken, I'll go and modify the effect to deal with any card effect instead of stuff that hits an Ice Barrier and seal it off until the next turn. (Though in a way, this does make this like Solemn Judgment or whatever generic card negation exists)

Thanks for the CnC though.

While it might seem like a persistent Solemn Judgment, it's not exactly like that. First, it can be run over; 2700 ATK isn't small, but even without the use of effects, it isn't exactly insurmountable either. Then there's the fact that because it's visible to the opponent, it can be baited easily. And of course, SS2 instead of SS3, although that's not a major thing.

However, upon closer inspection, I do agree that it feels just a tad too versatile. First, I'd add a blanket OPT clause - "This effect of "Renko, Angel Rider of the Ice Barrier" can only be activated once per turn". Getting 2 or even 3 of these out at once is hardly an issue between Tidal, Salvage and all the general recycling and toolboxing WATER does, and given this card will generally stick around for a while... yeah, we don't want 3x negation per turn. Also, my rulings are kinda rusty on this one, so I don't remember if it's necessary or not, but add a "and cannot be activated during the Damage Step" clause (I -think- that quick effects that negate can generally be activated during the Damage Step). Removing that will at least let the opponent try their hand at running it over with Forbidden Lance and such.

Also, since "Angel" is generally not used in the TCG, what would its TCG name become?

Just out of curiosity, but do you think the effect is fine this way, TC?
Not saying anything is wrong with it, but like... Lets say, for example, they go to use Redox' revival effect. They Discard Redox and an EARTH, you chain this(Assuming it works this way), and they now have a 3000 Wall. Yes, it's Face-down, but still. Add to it, how would this work if it were up against someone who used Honest against it? O,o

Oh, and with regards to the Ice Barrier Spell recycling part; Ice Barriers only have, what, Triangle and Medallion? Either way, that part is fine.

@Vector: I though about that after I left yesterday and considered adding an OPT clause to it. Either that or having a "You can only control 1 of this card" clause at the end to deal with multiple abuse. I'll update it later when I get home from college.

@Armz: They have Mirror but I haven't seen it used too much [Mirror / Triangle are the usual stuff]. As for hand traps, that's a good question. I would assume that the effect is negated, but as for setting it (which doesn't work in hand); that part of the effect wouldn't trigger but the lock still applies. I originally had it banish the card in question, but Dragon Rulers wouldn't care about it too much.

I'll probably change it back to banishing stuff, so it clears up that issue about Honest and other things that trigger in hand.

Either way, a limitation effect will be added to cut down on the abuse, that much is certain.

For TCG naming, probably will omit the Angel part.

Thanks again to both Armz and Vector for comments/CnC.

EDIT notes: Put a hard OPT clause at the end; meaning you only get to use this once per turn; changed the effect back to banishing the negated card.

There is a reference in this card; whoever figures it out gets repped.

Archived