What would the punishment be for a necrobump?

Glitch

Question

25 answers to this question

Again, I feel the above 2 points fall back on the moderators. Periodically mass locking old threads in those particular forums will remove the issue entirely.

I don't exactly know how the system works, but after a while threads get archived and impossible to comment on, or if you go waaaaay back, you can't even like comments there anymore even as the topic creator. Furthermore, profile history no longer shows all threads ever made by a user, and rather focuses on the last 5 or so posts and 5 or so latest threads. That also helps.

There is also that the way I see it, the same argument that low activity makes sure the work doesn't look THAT hard to do, can very well be used to say exactly because of low activity, the few instances of necrobumps happening are easy to go and address.

I'm not sure if I'm just not quite understanding your proposal, but it looks to me that it's easier to address a few necrobumps a day than to go and lock a million pages of activity from the last 8 to 10 years... on each sub-section of each section of each forum of the site.

Yes it'd be taking care of the problem before it starts, but it's also not such a big matter to warrant that kind of devotion.

How often do necrobumps even happen in this site by the way?

I never said it takes a minute per page

I'm saying it takes a minute per page. It takes a minute per page.

My terrible ideas? So if some kid necros two threads in one day you want to swing the ban hammer at them? Brilliant

Take all things on a case-by-case basis.

I don't care what mods do in CC and TCG as I never have and never will use those sections.

Then stop making suggestions that include sections you don't understand.

My point has always been that there is no reason to discourage it in a forum like General, where any contributory activity should be encouraged.

I violently disagree. You shouldn't encourage posting for the sake of posting. You should encourage quality posting.

No, it's not. The reason is eliminating an issue before it starts, and it's part of the job to keep the forum maintained. It would literally take 1 minute a day at most.

There's literally 600+ pages on TCG right now that haven't already been archived. Assuming it takes a minute per page, that's 10 hours of work.

If it's an issue of time, we don't get a necrobumped topic every single day. Lock it if it's a problem. Ban it if it's a repeated problem.

Your reactionary and extremist opinions make me very glad you're not a mod.

Your terrible ideas make me glad you're not one as well.

Phosphorus had a pretty great remedy that I believe took out a great deal of the necrobumping happening in the RP section. Just make the default setting for the forum so that threads olding than X number of days/weeks don't display unless the user purposefully changes their view settings with the "Custom" button.

And evilfusion is wholly right, it's not a particularly big issue and the easiest solution is to do as we always have.

I actually very seldom do anything about necrobumps other than lock the thread and remind the offender to check the date next time before posting since most of the time it's new members who don't know the rules who do such things, and if an older member necrobumps, it's usually just a harmless mistake, they misread the date or something.

Necro bumps aren't common. I've been suggesting a work around for those forums (CC, TCG, etc.) where necro bumps are wholly unwanted.

Clearly, necro bumps do exist, so whatever the forum software does on its own is not enough to regulate old or inactive threads. Bulk locking of threads used to be as simple as finding the page you want, clicking one tick box to select all, and clicking lock selected. I imagine it should be even easier now, with mods able to specify a date range (lock all threads inactive since x).

It's the way necro bumps are sometimes handled by members and mods alike - poorly - that needs to be avoided, so that no one, particularly new members, is discouraged from using the forum.

In forums like General, where content is often open ended, necro bumping should almost be encouraged.

I never said it takes a minute per page. It's two clicks a page - the time depends on your Internet connection. I also speculate it's much easier than a page at a time anyway, with mods possibly being able to specify a date range, or do something via the ACP. Perhaps a moderator could clarify for us.

My terrible ideas? So if some kid necros two threads in one day you want to swing the ban hammer at them? Brilliant. That's sure to correct the forum's waning popularity and encourage new members.[/terribleidea]

I don't care what mods do in CC and TCG as I never have and never will use those sections. I have been offering a suggestion based on my past experience as a moderator. If you want to discourage our moderators by assuming simple work is going to be too time consuming for them to grasp, I would suggest you either alter your thinking, or keep your opinions to yourself.

My point has always been that there is no reason to discourage it in a forum like General, where any contributory activity should be encouraged. Perhaps read the OP again, as you often seem to lose sight of the point of the thread and go off on your own self-aggrandising tangent. I believe there should be no punishment for it. The forum is not active enough for it to be any concern, in TCG or elsewhere. Punishment of any kind needs to reserved for extreme cases only, otherwise it only serves to inflate egos and create disunity around the forums. THAT I know from experience.

Ehh tops for me it just pisses me off to see 3 year card sets that suck ducks get bumped by new members who sign up just to comment on said set.

Well really, if a moderator takes exception to necro-bumping in their section, they should take the time to lock old threads. It would be ridiculous to "punish" members - and members who necro bump would generally be new, not just to YCM but to foruming in general - when, if a thread is unlocked, someone who doesn't know better surely would see no problem with posting in it. Moderators should take some responsibility themselves.

I think Frunk raises a great point here.  Necrobumping seems like something that is punished for the saking of punishment in a lot of sections.  What is wrong with reviving an old thread to discuss a card in TCG as opposed to creating a new one?  Either thread will be just as useful for discussion.  Same goes in any of the multimedia sections, general (maybe to a lesser extent because news articles stop being relevant), games, and probably other subforums too.  

If a topic dies out, it's probably due to a lack of interest (or discussable content).

Though in the case of TCG stuff, if interest is renewed or more information comes back, I don't see anything wrong either. Probably the reason a new thread is made is to keep discussions separate (ideas in the older thread will most likely differ from the newer one), and for comparison reasons, I would assume.

Given YCM is a lot less active than how it was in the older days, the rules on necrobumping could be relaxed a bit. If it's a month or something, not too bad [if it's still on the first page]. If you're bumping something all the way from a couple years ago, then there's a problem with it. If I remember correctly with the Fanfic section, a user can technically necro their own thread at any point in time (assuming new content), but anyone else who does so gets punished. For instance, Card Contests would fall under the usual 1 month rule w/out posts (especially if they finished). There are several of them that have ended for some time now and need to be moved; if unlocked, a new member would most likely post in there for entry and not read the thread/posts that it's already done. It depends on the section to determine how severe necrobumping should be considered as, and punished accordingly.

Granted though, I agree with Frunk that mods should be periodically checking for old threads and locking them to cut down on any necrobumps, either intentional or accidental by new members. (Or we can modify the forum's settings to cut off threads w/out replies for a month; I remember Rinne setting the thread view to 2 months w/out replies in the RP section.)

There are a few reasons why Necrobumping can be an issue.

-In the case of Custom Cards, it often happens that the card creator of the bumped thread is no longer active, making any kind of advice on that card(s) pointless. On top of effects more often than not being horribly outdated. Take this for example:

[spoiler=One of the first cards I ever uploaded]

GBkPVe8.jpg

The pic is sketchy, badly colored, the user doesn't know how to make capital letters be tinier and still capital, the edition doesn't exist, it's automatically secret rare because it's kewl, has a generic name, and to top if off, it was a thumbnail instead of the correct way to upload them, but I'm not even referring to all those things.

The card is a more expensive Krebons that is once per turn, requires a Tribute, has mediocre stats, and is not a Tuner. This felt ok 7 years ago.

[/spoiler]

-At TCG, because the game changes every once in a while, new threads are made to discuss the current standing on a certain card. For example, Dark Hole is an OMGBroken!!! card at any point in time from the dawn of Synchros and back. Put it on nowadays and very often there is at least 1 monster on the field that brushes it off or floats, or another card that reacts and helps as a result.

Old opinions can be useful too, but a bit more often people want fresh opinions on things.

I personally don't give warns for necrobumps, unless it's a member who should know better.

The only real issue with necrobumping an old TCG topic is that if enough time has passed, the opinions are outdated, and anyone re-reading the thread without noticing the dates might reply with a "WTF are you talking about, card X is super-broken!" because between the two dates, Konami released support for that archetype that indeed makes it incredibly powerful.

To avoid confusion, it's usually just better to make a new topic. Very few people necrobump with a proper "well, now that X happened, what has changed involving this card?"

I don't think anyone's actually warned a necrobump for a while. I do find warns for necrobumping to be pointless when seen in this light, but going through old dead threads and locking them is, as I'm sure someone else has already pointed out, a load of work for very little payoff.

As long as we lock the problem thread the issue is fixed. Simply not giving any warning points is fine; I more often than not give the member a warning issuing 0 warning points to tell them to not do it again.

If by making them aware of the issue I can save the mod of every section trouble of having to lock every thread from page 3 onward, I say good riddance.

As an aside, if locking old threads can be automatized then this entire discussion is moot.

Depends on the mod/section.

I would assume it'd be an Intentional Spam warning though, since you knowingly did it. (If you post in a sticky thread, technically you aren't necrobumping as far as I recall)

You'd need to ask one of the mods to clear this up, since things may have changed since 2011 before I went on a break.

No, it's not. The reason is eliminating an issue before it starts, and it's part of the job to keep the forum maintained. It would literally take 1 minute a day at most.

Your reactionary and extremist opinions make me very glad you're not a mod.

So...is this topic now about two former mods butting heads in regards to what the current mod roster should do about an issue that's actually extremely rare and minor?

Necrobumping isn't a persistent issue. Mods COULD backtrack through dozens/hundreds of past pages and lock them, if only to prevent a very rare occurrence that is remedied by taking 10 seconds to simply lock the offending thread when it surfaces and giving a gentle, but firm reprimand. OR we could go extremist style and start swinging banhammers at new members that used the search function and didn't notice dates.

OR, how about the moderators continue handling necrobumps as they always have, and the random argument about which ex-mod had more terrible/extremist ideas can be laid to rest? Considering you're both retired, this is beyond a pointless hate-fest.

Archived