Lord Death Archetype: Rise of The Grim Reaper UPDATE 2.0

Nolan Bailey II

Archetype based around fueling the boss of the deck, "Lord Death, The Grim Reaper", summoning conditions..

The Boss

59bTi59.jpg

Cannot be Special Summoned except with its own effect. If "Death's Immortality" is face-up on your side of the field or in your graveyard: Once per turn, you can Special Summon this card from your hand or graveyard by banishing 1 Fairy-type and 1 Fiend-type monster from your graveyard. This card cannot be banished. This card gains 100 ATK for each of your banished cards. If "Death's Immortality" is not face-up on the field or in the graveyard: destroy this card.

The Effect Monsters

92ceWKL.jpg

This card cannot attack your opponent directly. Once per turn, you can banish 1 Fairy-type or Fiend-type monster from your graveyard; to target 1 monster your opponent controls: negate its effects until the End Phase. If this is banished: you can either shuffle 1 of your banished "Lord Death" monster(s) into the deck or add 1 "Lord Death" monster from your graveyard to your hand. If you control a face-up "Death's Hell Gate" you can activate both these effects. You can only use 1 effect of "Lucifer, Demon General of Lord Death" per turn, and only once that turn.

rHToQDE.jpg

This card is also Fiend-type. Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn, you can banish 1 "Lord Death" monster from your graveyard; Return 1 banished "Death's" spell/trap card to the deck. If this card is banished: you can target 1 level 4 or lower "Lord Death" monster banished or in your hand except this card and Special Summon it in face-up defense position. You can only use 1 effect of "Loyal Soldier of Lord Death" per turn, and only once that turn.

6ohVsZN.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can add 1 level 4 or lower "Lord Death" monster from your deck to your hand except this card. Once per turn, you can target 1 of your banished "Lord Death" monsters and return it to the graveyard. If this card is banished: You can add 1 "Death's" spell/ trap card from your deck to your hand. You can only use 1 effect of "Lisa, Daughter of Lord Death" and only once that turn.

Z3mVlml.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: you can add 1 "Grim Reaper" monster from your deck to your hand. Once per turn, you can target 1 of your banished "Lord Death" monsters and return it to the graveyard. If this card is banished: you can special summon 1 level 4 or lower "Lord Death" monster from your deck in face-up defense position except this card. You can only use 1 effect of "Luke, Son of Lord Death" per turn, and only once that turn.

NjWqyTZ.jpg

When this card is special summoned by the effect of a "Lord Death" monster: Target 1 spell/ trap on the field and destroy it. If this card is banished: you can send 1 level 4 or lower "Lord Death" monster from your deck to your graveyard and draw 1 card. You can only use this eff of "Lyla, Fairy General of Lord Death" once per turn.

The Spell/Traps

nEF2rs2.jpg

"Grim Reaper" monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponents card effects. Except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard: you can banish this card from your graveyard to target up to 3 of your banished "Lord Death" monsters and return them to the grave. 

bF24yPs.jpg

Each time a card(s) is banished place 1 "Cross" counter on this card for each card banished. Once per turn, you can remove any number of "Cross" counters: Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower banished Fiend-type or Fairy-type monster with the same level. If "Death's Immortality" is not face-up on the field or in the graveyard destroy this card. Except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard: You can banish 1 "Lord Death" monster from your graveyard; shuffle this card into the deck.

3bnyvp8.jpg

Once per turn, if a "Lord Death" monster would be destroyed by your opponent's card effect: you can banish 1 monster from your graveyard instead. This card gains effs based on your number of banished "Lord Death" monsters:
1+:Once per turn, you can target 1 of your banished "Lord Death" monsters and return it to grave.
3+:This card cannot be destroyed while you control a face-up "Grim Reaper" monster.
5+:Once per turn during your Main Phase, you can draw 1 card.
Except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard, you can banish this card from your graveyard: target 1 "Grim Reaper" monster in your graveyard and special summon it.

The Xyz
1EnQmfn.jpg
2 level 4 "Lord Death" monsters
This card cannot be banished. If this card is special summoned: you can target up to 2 of your banished "Lord Death" monsters and return them to the grave. If a "Lord Death" monster(s) would be destroyed: you can detach 1 Xyz material instead of destroying 1 of those monsters. When a Xyz material is detached: this card gains 100 ATK for each of your currently banished "Lord Death" monsters.

48PFJhl.jpg
2 level 8 "Grim Reaper" monsters
This card cannot be banished. When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can activate 1 Death's spell/trap card from your deck or grave. You can detach 1 Xyz material; Special Summon 1 of your level 4 or lower banished Fairy-type or Fiend-type monsters in face-up defense position. If you activate this effect you cannot special summon "Lord Death, The Grim Reaper" for the rest of this turn. This card gains 200 ATK for each of your banished cards.

I'm looking for CnC (constructive criticism) so don't hold anything back as long as it contributes. The ideal play style, at least as I see it in my head, is speeding through the deck by means of cards such as "Upstart Goblin" and "Pot of Duality". I was thinking that cyber valley and trance archfiend might be possible monster techs. Maybe even, with some thinking, a hybrid build with Agents. I can't even state how good Allure would be in here lol. Thanks for your time.

Updated with changes in mind thought up by The Card Elephant.

Mostly very well-balanced here. I can see Grim Reaper being a formidable boss, but not too strong. The ATK is just right and complements the high strength of the archetype perfectly. However, if you are intending for him to be summoned from the Graveyard, you need to specify, and you also need strict restrictions on that to prevent the archetype from becoming really overpowered.

Lucifer is really nice. I like the effect, but because there are no negative effects associated with his Summoning (e.g. changing to Defense position, being destroyed at the en of the Battle Phase) his ATK is too strong for a Level 4. Either add one of these effects (and if you add the first, reduce the DEF) or tone down both the ATK to 1900/1800 etc. (I understand you want ATK/DEF equal.)

Loyal Soldier. Now this is really nice and perhaps a little too powerful. The "not being destroyed by battle" is a rare effect for a reason: It's pretty hard to get over without wasting resources. And running 3 in-archetype? I don't know, and in the end it comes down to how powerful you think it needs to be in an already very strong archetype. The SS effect is scary, but scary is good in Yu-Gi-Oh.

Lisa is an extremely strong searcher, perhaps a little too strong again. I would either tone down the ATK and DEF or make it so she activates when Special Summoned - or you could leave it, but then she'd probably be limited. She's nearly as powerful as Stratos, or a slightly different version thereof, depending on your viewpoint (since she can search S/Ts). She's really cute though, and hot anime girls should not be underpowered.

Wow - this deck is shaping up to be pretty spammy, with two insta-Special Summoners and searchers apiece. I think you should restrict each monster (maybe leaving one untouched) to "You can only use 1 "XXX" effect per turn, and only once that turn" so the combos don't get too crazy.

Yay - I love Evolsaur Diplos! Especially 2000-ATK Diplos! Again, I think 2000 is too much with no restrictions, but other than that, it's a great and pretty original card, and one of my favourites (apart from Grim Reaper, who is one of my favourite bosses EVAR). Provides much-needed draw power too, so a good fit.

Lilliane is... married? NOOOOOO!!

That aside, she needs to be nerfed because of the uber-protective S/Ts plus her effect making her a Maestroke on heavy steroids. 2100 ATK is fine, I think, to balance her. she feels a little linear, though, in terms of effects and playstyle, as some other cards in the archetype do. Fortunately her husband is a nicely balanced, "different" card.

Lord Death, Grim Reaper - O Lilliane, why did you have to marry this guy! He's definitively an awesome boss, but again, his Summoning effect feels too linear and general. Spice him up for me, will ya? Maybe something to do with LIGHT monsters... I don't know.

I'll review List and Immortality together; first off, the names are AWESOME. Immortality is pretty much a needed-but-slightly-boring Continuous. List is a great in-archetype Chaos Zone so you don't have to run the real thing, and its restriction is good too, preventing it from being broken, so I like it more than Immortality. 

Death's Strongest Scythe - I don't like the name much because it doesn't feel to fitting as a Field Spell. You could perhaps make it something to do with Hell/The Underworld. You could try "Highway to Hell" if that's not too corny or "Death Zone"/"Charon's Price" (if you get that one). :) The effects are good for the archetype, but again, they feel pretty linear and run-of-the-mill. You could try something with banishing your "Lord Death" monsters to banish opponent's cards or banishing from their hand (be wary of overpowering these effects, if you implicate them).

OVERALL REVIEW

The archetype is in danger of being EXTREMELY overpowered if Grim Reaper can be Summoned from Grave (which, I'm guessing, you meant for him), so I'd add a heavy restriction, such as 1500 Life Points/banishing cards from hand/field when Summoning from Grave. I think banishing from field and hand would be best. I like the mechanic personally, but turning something that would normally be a cost (e.g. Tributing with Hieratics) needs careful handling to avoid being really powerful. Both Scythe (with first effect, of course) and Immortality feel a little too strong: I would restrict one to once per turn and the other to twice per turn, depending on your thoughts over which should be nerfed more.

To end, a solid archetype, with a solid chance of becoming Tier!

Nice changes, all very well balanced and a great archetype on the whole now! I also like  I think the original Reaper needs more nerfing, sorry. That is, if you're going to keep the part where he destroys if Immortality is not on the field or in Graveyard. I would suggest that he banishes 1 Lord from hand/field and 1 from Grave. Also, I think if you Summoned Reaper by banishing any of the Lv4s, the "you can" effects would miss timing, so you need to make them compulsory (at least I think so)...

This is quite an interesting Archtype you've got going for yourself. If you don't mind, I would just like to take the time to point out a few things that I found to be rather unconventional in terms of effects and stats.

http://i.imgur.com/Jbzq4Zv.jpg

I think a good starting ATK stat for this monster should be somewhere around 2800 ATK points. This will automatically boost itself to 3000 ATK points- a standard ATK stat for level 8 beaters such as itself. This will give it enough of a boost to take down troublesome cards, like Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand and others. Now if Lord Death, The Grim Reaper's effects were more threatening (i.e. destroying a monster(s) or banishing a monster(s) or returning card(s) from the field to the deck/hand or etc.), then and only then would his current ATK stat be justified, imo (although the ATK stat would be at its highest peak). The DEF stat for such a beater I find is perhaps a bit too great for something that can summon itself and only get more and more powerful and be used as a wall as well. I find the current DEF stat to be uncompromising, imo. Something a bit more balanced and justifiable I feel would be a DEF stat of something around 2100-2300 points. This will make the monster possible to be destroyed by battle, by normal means and with crutch cards such as Book of Moon and so on. Completely fair, given the ATK and DEF stat boosts it gains anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/MlByEjX.jpg

Where is this "Death's Strongest Scythe" card? I don't see it in the OP. I can't tell just yet if this monster is just making too many pluses or not. I do believe that it being able to activate all of its effects once per turn is a bit much, imo. Something along the lines of "You can only use 1 "Lucifer, Demon General of Lord Death" effect per turn, and only once that turn." would be fine and balanced.

http://i.imgur.com/nwWkNZe.jpg

When and where is this monster considered to be a Fiend-Type? You should state where in what constant is it considered a Fiend-Type. Is it considered to be one while on the field or graveyard or banished or deck or hand?

http://i.imgur.com/vMO5bCT.jpg

I am possibly seeing a lot of pluses for this card. Something to level the playing field would be again, imo, "You can only use 1 "Lyla, Angel General of Lord Death" effect per turn, and only once that turn.". If you still would like to use both effects per turn however, I would suggest making the first effect of Lyla non-optional and mandatory "If this card is special summoned by the effect of a "Lord Death" monster: you can target 1 spell/ trap on the field and destroy it.". This levels the amount of backrow fairness on both sides of the field, given if your opponent controls no S/T and you do, then this initial effect will target one of your S/T cards instead, being completely fair, imo.

That's pretty much all I have to offer in terms of tips/advice. Good Archtype and very interesting mechanics. Keep up the good work.

This is quite an interesting Archtype you've got going for yourself. If you don't mind, I would just like to take the time to point out a few things that I found to be rather unconventional in terms of effects and stats.

http://i.imgur.com/Jbzq4Zv.jpg

I think a good starting ATK stat for this monster should be somewhere around 2800 ATK points. This will automatically boost itself to 3000 ATK points- a standard ATK stat for level 8 beaters such as itself. This will give it enough of a boost to take down troublesome cards, like Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand and others. Now if Lord Death, The Grim Reaper's effects were more threatening (i.e. destroying a monster(s) or banishing a monster(s) or returning card(s) from the field to the deck/hand or etc.), then and only then would his current ATK stat be justified, imo (although the ATK stat would be at its highest peak). The DEF stat for such a beater I find is perhaps a bit too great for something that can summon itself and only get more and more powerful and be used as a wall as well. I find the current DEF stat to be uncompromising, imo. Something a bit more balanced and justifiable I feel would be a DEF stat of something around 2100-2300 points. This will make the monster possible to be destroyed by battle, by normal means and with crutch cards such as Book of Moon and so on. Completely fair, given the ATK and DEF stat boosts it gains anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/MlByEjX.jpg

Where is this "Death's Strongest Scythe" card? I don't see it in the OP. I can't tell just yet if this monster is just making too many pluses or not. I do believe that it being able to activate all of its effects once per turn is a bit much, imo. Something along the lines of "You can only use 1 "Lucifer, Demon General of Lord Death" effect per turn, and only once that turn." would be fine and balanced.

http://i.imgur.com/nwWkNZe.jpg

When and where is this monster considered to be a Fiend-Type? You should state where in what constant is it considered a Fiend-Type. Is it considered to be one while on the field or graveyard or banished or deck or hand?

http://i.imgur.com/vMO5bCT.jpg

I am possibly seeing a lot of pluses for this card. Something to level the playing field would be again, imo, "You can only use 1 "Lyla, Angel General of Lord Death" effect per turn, and only once that turn.". If you still would like to use both effects per turn however, I would suggest making the first effect of Lyla non-optional and mandatory "If this card is special summoned by the effect of a "Lord Death" monster: you can target 1 spell/ trap on the field and destroy it.". This levels the amount of backrow fairness on both sides of the field, given if your opponent controls no S/T and you do, then this initial effect will target one of your S/T cards instead, being completely fair, imo.

That's pretty much all I have to offer in terms of tips/advice. Good Archtype and very interesting mechanics. Keep up the good work.

Death's Strongest Scythe has been renamed + repictured as Death's Hell Gate.

To answer Elephant's post If you still think that the eff is too strong I will have to seriously think about it since I pretty much want its cost to be only in grave. Plus I also added in the part in his wording so you cannot summon the same reaper twice in one turn if that doesn't make up for it then I'll have to think of other ways. Also the banish effects are all if so they can't miss timing.

For Mihe I understand what you mean so do you think that dropping his original ATK and DEF will be enough or making it so he only gains ATK through his eff. As for Lucifer I forgot to change the Death's Strongest Scythe to Death's Hell Gate so I will fix that. I will look at my archetype as a whole and decide to add the once per turn and only once that turn effect to some or all of them if needed. I assumed with the way I worded it that meant that he will be fiend-type everywhere but if not I will change that as well. I don't think I can in right mind restrict both of Lyla's eff to once per turn so I willtake your advice and make it mandatory.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived