Blueblood: Academy Flashbacks

Astolfo

n4sct3N.png

The parody stories of Blueblood, the RP hosted by Aix.
This thread is hosted by his approval.
~~~
[spoiler=Non-Canon][spoiler="The faggot detector"]LhPnVqG.jpg[/spoiler][spoiler=Blueblood Plays Monopoly]

Out of all people sitting around in the forechamber of Lonn’s commander’s cabin, nobody had any idea what the meeting was about. The entire cast –a term the group had chosen to call themselves as a group, as curiously chosen by Adora (err, Tim Tim)– lay spread over a few needlessly puffy couches.

Nobody said a word; the cast was still brutally shaken by the sudden, completely unexpected death of possibly the most beloved of the group… Poor Verena had met her strange end at the hands of a freak lightning bolt in the cold of space.

Everyone exchanged a few glances, perhaps uttered a ‘hey’ or another, but the mood was generally quiet, and expectant. Lonn had gathered the cast in this room for a reason, but had yet to show himself or explain at all. Rustling could be heard on the other side of the sliding door, as though the admiral was rummaging through things to find something important.

“What do you guys think the Admiral has for us?” came the inevitable, quiet inquiry from Eryn. She blushed a little when everyone suddenly turned toward her, clearly wanting to ask but not having done so. “He’s been throwing things around in there for a while… it must be important, no?”

Rose stretched her legs, reaching halfway to the couch on the opposite end. “Whatever it is, it has to be important enough to gather us during mourning time like this. Though I’m sure some of us, had nothing better to do.”

“Oh bite me,” came Adora’s hissy reply; “you know feeding Tim Tim is a very big responsibility, one you, Miss morning workout, would probably neglect to do and result in the tragic death of such a glorious individual.”

“What was that, brittlebones?” Rose’s voice had some sardonic tenderness to it; “you should consider joining me sometimes, I assure you it comes in handy.”

The mechanical arm rose to meet –and later flip off– Rose’s face on the other end of the room. Mithna, quickly looking from one to the other as though she watched a tennis match, spoke with a little worry in her voice.

“N-now now, you two should not be arguing like this! You are two pure-blooded fine women, don’t fret like this!” Her worry instantly disappeared as she caught Roy’s glance focused on Rose. Her thoughts aligned very quickly and she changed subjects at a moment’s notice; “Now stop staring at them, you perverted filth of a lascivious human!”

Lucius could not help looking up from his read as Mithna let out such broad remark. Upon seeing Mithna half raised from her seat staring at McQueen, he let out an unsurprised ‘Hmph’ and went on with his read. However, a rhythmical, rasping noise kept hammering at his concentration.

“Now which of you brought maracas in here?” He demanded through his teeth. He was met with confused looks all around, until he laid eyes on the cause. “Lore, can you stop moving your, your, legs like that? It’s distracting, frankly.”

The half-dragon-fish-thing eyed Lucius with a half-smile. “I didn’t know it was your thing, you of all people Lucius; but I’ll make an effort to cover up some more next time you see me.”

“Ew,” came the dry voice of Roy, met with an angry stare from both Lore and Mithna. Daiki exploded with laughter, and after a curious delay so did Tobias. Even Eryn couldn’t help but giggle.

Before anyone could add anything else into the disaster that was the room, Lonn’s door slid open with a hiss from the hydraulics. Everybody turned to look as he, followed by Herrman much to Mithna’s infernal rage and Adora’s mild interest, exited his cabin and stood before the cast.

“It’s good to see you’re all more relaxed now,” began Lonn as he noticed the cast grow surprised with the fact; “you must all be wondering what this is all about. No, Draegan, this is not about your unit’s dragon motif; only Lucius really finds it blasphemous and at the end of the day it’s not like you could change it.”

Lucius and Draegan exchanged sharp looks for a moment, to which Lonn cleared his throat for attention.

“Anyway, I brought you here for a reason. Herrman?” The robot, which the cast noted had had his hands behind his back until this point, put them instead in front of him to reveal a large rectangular box. He shook it a few times, then softly tossed it onto the table in the centre of the room.

The cast shared confused looks and annoyed reactions as they looked at the cover of the box. “…Monopoly.”

“Yes Roy, Monopoly. The Admiral here insisted that we should play this in order to lighten up the increasingly suffocating tension among us. So, if you please, would you all be as kind as to help me set the whole thing up?”

“Wait, do we all have to play? It’ll get a bit messy with all of us on the case, Admiral. I suggest we fight it out to decide who plays!”
“No.” Lonn sighed and beckoned for Draegan to remain sitting. “You’ll play in threes. There are four seats here, so please do sit three in each. Herrman?”

“I cannot possibly play, sir;” Herrman spoke looking down on the board he was now spreading along the low table, with immutable neutrality. “I have a strict behavioral code which states not to harm others. This game would certainly impede me from abiding by it.”
“I didn’t know you could crack a joke, serious guy!” Everybody, even Lonn himself, turned to Daiki in confusion. “What, none of you’s ever played Monopoly? Well, let’s just say it’s known as a friendship destroyer.”

With another Hmph from Lucius, people started moving around to sit in threes. Some struggled desperately to sit next to one another, while a select few stayed in their seats and waited for the smoke to clear.

---
Lucius looked to his side to see Daiki sitting on one side of him… and Roy of all people on the other. He shut his book without so much as placing a mark on it and stashed it away in the depths of his robe?

“Are you even wearing something under that? No homo.”

“If it was not highly blasphemous to even consider the question, I’d ask you if you’d want to take a look, Roy.”

“But you just asked anyway!” Daiki added, like he’d cracked a murder case.

“No kidding. Well then, should we start playing?”

“HELL NO!” came the synchronized answer from both Rose and Adora, sitting to either side of a now very scared Draegan. Rose continued:

“If you want me to lose this game like I couldn’t find my own hands, you could just lock me in your room instead!”

“I don’t know what was the first time I agreed on anything with this lump of meat you all call my sister, but I’m betting she has no idea how to play the game at all.”

“I’m sure you do, sis.”

Help… me…

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Tobias replied with a loudness that stopped both sisters to look; “I’m perfectly fine with these groups. And speaking of fine-

He stretched both arms, attempting to wrap them around both Lore and Eryn. The former punched him pretty hard in the stomach, the latter simply moved quickly to the other side of the couch to lie on Lore.

“Keep yer handies to yerself, got it playboy?”

This bitch… “Message, uuuugh, received.”

Lonn himself had taken a seat on the end of the last couch, making sure there was someone between him and Mithna, whom he was pretty sure would faint if he so much as touched her. “Shall we begin, everyone?”

“I must first analyze the rules of this game to get a clear tactical edge before we begin.” Lonn’s eyes widened in poorly-hidden horror who was sitting between him and Mithna.

Standing behind him, Herrman looked at the board with mild bemusement. “This cannot end well, sir.”

“Oh, you just keep quiet and watch Herrman…” Lonn showed himself oddly jovial, effectively concealing the real meaning of his words; “…that’s an order.”

“Very well sir.”

“Now,” Ismina began; “let me explain to all of you how the rules work.”

One explanation and many, many more instances of bickering later, the rules had been explained and the game could begin.

“May I take the first turn, so I can keep to my read, sir?”

“Fine by me, Lucius.” Nobody really dared defy Lonn’s words since Tim Tim was not currently present. Lucius shook and rolled the dice without too much interest.

He lazily picked up the small iron figurine and moved it three squares. He checked the square, and stood up with a leap. His voice boomed around the room, a faint chorus could be heard in the background. “I will now claim this in the name of God!

The human took a bunch of paper cash and slammed it on the board. “YOU BELONG TO GOD NOW, uhhh…” he bowed down to read, with a perfectly immutable expression; “BALTIC AVENUE!

Herrman, who was holding the bank, handed over the card whilst paying no mind to his religious antics.

---

The game proceeded for about an hour with nothing of any comedic value happening, until…

The board had been traversed a few times now. Some plastic figurines for houses were even standing in the coloured areas. Lonn’s group was but a few squares away from two proprieties of a set of three; two of them owned by religious belief.

“May I take the turn now, Admiral Lonn?”

“S…ure, Ismina” said the alfar admiral, with a hint of worry in his voice.

“I will need you to not interfere, as I might be required to make a very delicate choice only I could possibly interpret.”

“Sure, Ismina.”

She rolled. The dice moved dramatically, and landed. Success.

Ismina quickly picked the small seaside ship and landed it in the unoccupied piece of the set.

“Now now… this is the choice I intended to make this turn. Choosing to buy this propriety would be severely detrimental to mister Lucius and his buffoons here; but we would be buying a virtually useless piece of land, which he would no doubt end up getting anyway. With this in mind… wait. Admiral, are the ships defences online?”

Lonn facepalmed.

“I’ll take your frustrated reaction as a negative then. No matter how you look at it, I could not afford to start a polemic, religious war in these circumstances. Therefore I will not be buying this.”

Roy was the first to burst out laughing. Other, more polite ones held their breaths for ten or so seconds before joining him. Lucius himself was seriously doubting how easy political and economic control of this board was seized. Lonn? He just hit his own face again.

---

“So I’ll just p-p-pick the card no-”

“Hurry the fuck up!” raged Rose.

“Woah, watch your tongue sis! No need to be mean to the Proud Warrior Race Guy!”

“Since when do you take to the diplomatic posture? Go back to your lab, fuck your rat or something!”

“Wha-! fuck you! I’d rather be sitting next to that Roy” she pointed; “rather than playing on the same side as you! And for your information, Tim Tim is a human! The best human.”

Met with confused stares, Adora blushed. “I still don’t like any of you! All humans are shitty, except for- except for my Tim Tim.”
“Hah! Your science project went to your head, much?

The bickering continued, with Draegan still stuck in the crossfire. “Psst,” came Eryn’s amused voice; “just roll the dice now.”
“Right! Dice!”

Up they went, down they fell. Chance!

Draegan picked up a card, ducking just in time to avoid a careless kick from Rose knocking him cold. He motioned to read the card, and summarily ripped it to shreds. “JAIL? I’m going to JAIL?

Before Lonn could say anything, the Kel’dar stood up dramatically, and would had knocked over the table had it not been for Eryn’s desperate need to prevent conflict for escalating. Truth be told, she was actually pretty entertained by the cast’s general overreaction to a game this mundane.

“You have no reason to imprison me! I have done nothing wrong! Admiral, this must be a mistake. This card is completely unfair! I cannot possibly be imprisoned for something I have not done!”

Both Rose and Adora pulled him the fuck down, and for a second he feared for his life; however, his worry was met with a sigh from Rose, and an explanation from the other. Daiki and Tobias, shooting a furtive glance at each other, somehow kept one another from exploding in laughter.

“Fine, we’ll go to jail. The game is still completely nonsensical for allowing this sort of abominable incarceration.”

---

The game went on and on. Eventually, the board filled up all the way and sides started losing. First it came to an unlucky role from the allegedly skilled gambler Tobias, which landed him in a dangerously expensive hotel. Bankrupt he went, as well as a fiery angry Lore and a somewhat relieved Eryn. Now they could lay back and watch.

Soon enough, an alarm from a portable device was heard; not a second later, Adora was gone. Rose suggested they keep playing now that the nuisance was gone, but Draegan had already resigned to his life in jail and general terrible luck at rolling doubles. With that, Rose decided to give all of their funding and propriety to the bank and just move on.

“I have a workout schedule to keep up with, after all.” Nobody believed a word of course, but after what she and her sister had been doing all day, it’s not like anybody raised a hand to stop her from leaving.

Draegan however decided he would stay and watch this cruel, cruel and unfair world burn.

---
The board was divided evenly now. All it would take to bankrupt a side would be a couple of unfortunate rolls here and there. So the pieces began to move, the remaining members of the cast locked in a deadly staring contest. The eyes of the four eliminated, plus Herrman, moved from one side to the other as they miraculously, and very luckily, somehow avoided stepping on each other’s land. Lucius’ fervent belief had been preventing their loss; and so were Ismina’s brilliant tactics. Everyone else in both teams just looked like shit at this point.

Until Ismina had a great idea. She locked eyes with Roy and showed her best inviting smile to him.

“Say, big boy, what would you want for… say… these three proprieties here?” Ismina stood up slightly, allowing some of her cleavage to show itself.

Roy stared, fixated on what Ismina wanted him to see. “Want me to give up this shit? I’ll have you know it’s rather valuable. You’ll need a lot of quality time to pay for it.”

“Trust me Admiral, this is the best course of action” the alfar whispered into the admiral’s ear, much to his distress. She got up with a start. “Then how about we make this transaction official now?”

“Fine by me, baby.” Mithna’s eye twitched, but a knowing hand from Ismina stopped her from saying anything –everyone still watching knew it was bullshit, of course.

Before Lucius could interfere with his unspecified fanaticism, Roy snatched the cards from him and gave her over to Ismina. After he did, he started for the door. The white haired alfar handed over the cards to Lonn, while everybody else hung with their mouths open as she followed the human out of the room. Only Lucius could make enough sense of it to lose all composure.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!” He got up with indignation, accompanied with a stream of blasphemy accusations and bomb threats. Herrman quickly put him to sleep with a well placed chop to the neck.

While everyone found it somewhat excessive and Herrman himself incredibly distressing, he took no time to justify his action.

“He did threaten to kill all of us. And his whole religious deal was getting really old.”

‘…Agreed’ met his words as a chorus.

Daiki cried victoriously;

“So it comes down to this! Alfar royalty versus pure, human might!”

“Right, right. Everyone else having fun?” The watching cast nodded almost in unison, save for Herrman who just kind of stood there.
“Well then it’s decided Daiki. Your go.” Lonn looked to his side. It was pretty strange that Mithna had not said a thing since Ismina lef- oh she’s passed out. Must have touched Lonn.

Daiki stood up and loomed over the table. He pulled out some really shitty glasses, which most definitely did not let him see a thing. He pointed a finger at Lonn with a lot of feeling. Those watching could hardly hold their laughter back.

“I'm going to tell you something important now, so you better dig the wax out of those huge ears of yours and listen! The reputation of this man echoes far and wide. When they talk about his badass figure - the man of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Daiki!
-Kamina”

The cast was baffled. Only Herrman finally said; “Kamina what?”

“The epitome of manly human spirit of course! Haven’t you ever heard of that man!?”

Herrman firmly shook his head. “I cannot say I have. And more to the point, how did this Kamina know your name? And spoken of someone else in the first person?”

“He, err, well… I might have altered his fiery speech just a tiny bit, but it’s still true! You have to know the man! He’s a role model to everyone!
“Not to me” said Lonn.

“Or me, dude” followed Tobias.

“Man, whatever! I will still beat you all using my DRILL!

Eryn held back an ‘eep’ and Lore was very well ready to slap Daiki. He quickly reacted and dove back onto his seat. “Wait, wait! I was still quoting Kamina!”

“Daiki,” Lonn began; “can you please just roll already?”

“Fiiiiine. Man, you’re no fun.”

“I think you might have meant, you are not funny, Daiki.”

“…You can be real mean sometimes, you know!”

“I only tell the truth, you know. Do forgive me if my speculation turned out false.”

“…Man, whatever. You guys don’t get things at all, can you even hype things?”

“Well…” began Herrman.

“Save it. Lemme just roll and beat the Admiral!”

And so Daiki, lacking the spiral power to achieve the sort of bullshit that would net him a win, instead used his hype to achieve it. By singing loud enough and beating terribly to a probably really good song, he threw the dice into the opposite end of the room. He realized all too late that those heavy glasses didn’t let him see where the dice went. Lonn himself had to go up and get them, and an evil desire took over him.

Now facing his darkest hour, the Admiral had to pick between to equally horrifying choices. He could tell the truth, present the roll of the dice as they were served and lose this eternally fought war with the hype of humanity… or he could lie.
He could betray his deep beliefs, betray the worthy trust of every cast member who thought anything of him, to beat Daiki. Beat him at his own fucking human game.

And he made his choice. Pretending to trip, he actually tripped and hit the floor flat with his nose. Herrman quickly came to his aid, and everyone else was just kinda looking to see if he’d died or something.

And so with his golden chance he skillfully doctored the decisive dice.

“I… win…” came the admiral’s words at last.

“No you didn’t, I’m looking right at you and just saw you move that die. I landed on my propriety. Your go, if you’re not bleeding too much.”

Lonn sighed, still lying on the floor. He rolled the dice. Five.

“Herrman, please move my piece.”

“Of course, sir. Landed in Daiki’s propriety, sir.”

“Herrman, kick the table for me please.”

Game over.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Canon][spoiler="Re:Birth"]

In the midst of a full-scale war, few were those who could afford the luxury of taking a break. Of all people in this exuberantly furnished delivery room, exactly none were the exception. R. Herrman Darrt, first come into the world a month earlier, had no pressing matters to tend to –but then, he was not a person, in a strict sense of the word.

[hr]

“…A prototype that might very well be the future,” Herrman had heard in his first few moments. Intricate pathways filling with electric pulses of varying degrees of intensity shot instructions to every part of his self, set directives to be obeyed as naturally as any alfar would obey his bodily functions. He moved, and the heads hovering over his vision backed away with a start. “Now, we watch; for today, we have created consciousness.”

“Even now that the deed is done, are we doing the right thing? Playing Maker?”

“Like it was our idea,” the first voice said.

“Still,” a third voice asked, “is it safe?”

“Conscious or not, the Three Laws are the Three Laws. No AI, regardless of how advanced, gets away without those. It would rather get itself trashed than let me put a hand on you right now.”

He demonstrated. As fast as alfarly possible, a fist swung with full force toward the second figure. Just as fast, Herrman’s own hand had caught the jab and held it firmly.

“That was highly uncalled for, sir.”

“Nonsense, Herrman. Come, step off that bed and introduce yourself.”

A direct order –every pathway in his mechanical brain compelled him to obey. When a person’s safety did not come into play, orders were absolute. That was the way things were, and Herrman understood that as inevitable. He compelled, as he was expected to; standing upright, shoulders squared and saluting.

Everything he knew, he was supposed to know, he realized through split-second logic process. This salute was, once again, completely natural to him.

“Given name R. Herrman Darrt, Independent Thought Module v1.0 at your every service.”
“Excellent. Can you describe your purpose as of present?”

“Prime directive at this time is to describe the ‘feeling’ of consciousness. Currently impossible to determine an expressible answer, definition of the word ‘feeling’ escapes processing.”

“He sounds so alfar!” one of the researchers blurted. “Shame the way he talks doesn’t say the same.”

“Also part of initial testing, don’t worry. We need to verify that the audio-receptive command interface is functioning. Herrman?”

“Sir.”

“Command prompt, assign secondary directive.”

Herrman’s pathways jerked into a specific route, making him forcefully receptive to whatever would be said next. It also generated what his consciousness could only sort as an automated response.

“Authentification required.”

The scientist spoke his name. Having never heard this name before, he nonetheless nodded at the contrast with his internal database.

“Awaiting input.”

“Secondary directive, adapt speech pattern to mimic immediate vicinity. Confirm input.”

Just as the words were spoken, they were undisputable truth to Herrman. Blending in had become his purpose in life, so long as the prime directive could still be fulfilled.

But that was not all. His pathways now relaxed and released from manual input process, Herrman noticed a certain freedom in his motor output where there had previously been none. He could articulate thought process with more naturalness.

“I will do my best, sir; anything else requiring my immediate attention?”

Herrman did not understand it, but the two researchers observing had taken a moment to exchange a glance of awe. The third, clearly the head researcher, reached for Herrman’s hand and shook it. He returned the gesture, noting its appropriate timing for future use.

“Nothing for the moment, Herrman” he said. “Let’s introduce you to Emperor Alfadir, he will certainly be pleased.”

Herrman’s existence would please the Emperor. His thought process accelerated as the idea crossed its way through the neural pathways of his brain. It made him happy. A robot lives to either protect or serve the alfar.

[hr]

The first memories of his activation entertained an infinitesimally small part of Herrman’s thoughts as Freya Alfadir, three years old then, yanked at his hand to lead him to the door marked delivery room.

“Come Herrman! We have to meet my baby cousin now!”

“We should not disturb Admiral Alfadir and his wife, little miss. Labor is a very taxing process, they should both be exhausted after the deed.”

“But I! Want! To see! Baby Lonn!” There was no way around it, Herrman’s pathways determined. An order need not come in a specific format to be interpreted: little Freya’s intentions were clear, and it was in Herrman’s interest to cater to orders given by the alfar. The robot flashed a smile to flatten Freya’s pouting expression, then walking ahead of her into the delivery room.

Two adult figures stood around a bed, where Admiral Sigmund Alfadir’s most trusted advisor and wife lay asleep. The hiss of the door’s hydraulics turned two adult heads to meet Herrman and Freya’s entrance: The Emperor himself, father to Freya, come to witness the birth of the Empire’s finest child, and Sigmund Alfadir, commanding Admiral of the empire’s largest fleet, carrying a heavy expression veiled by the joy of his son’s life.

Little Freya paid no mind to her father’s distant eyes, or to her uncle’s short-lived smirk: she had eyes only for the baby in the sleeping woman’s arms. Herrman still held her hand, but with little miss busy his attention was divided between every person in the room. When Emperor Alfadir gestured for him to come, he expected a reprimand for allowing little Freya’s wishes overruling strict instructions to keep her away from business matters.

Instead, he was met with a glass of a no doubt alcoholic beverage and a pat the shoulder.

“This is the one I was telling you about, Sigmund! The man-machine himself. I would like to introduce you to R. Herrman Darrt.”

Immediately Herrman squared shoulders and saluted.

“At your service, sir” he said.

“Amazing, Siegfried. He looks completely… human. Why does he look human?”

“The research team insisted. Said they would rather it not be taken as a mockery to the Maker by extremists. Something of the sort. Not worth having a human walking around with my daughter, if you ask me.”

Sigmund laughed, his glass trembling in his hand a little.

“Truth be told, this issue has been brought up repeatedly, sir. I still insist that the reasoning is acceptable; but if your distaste for my appearance is greater than your concern for possible repercussions, the necessary adjustments to my appearance are not many.”

“It can talk back, too? That’s a first.”

“Again, research team insisted. An intellect and individuality like that would go to waste if he just kept quiet when challenged.” The emperor let out a deep sigh, reached for his daughter’s hair to rustle it, then took a sip off his own glass of liquor. “Advanced AI, the R&D’s say I ought to forbid any research outside of theirs. Gave me a whole explanation, wasn’t exactly listening. They tell me I should hide this one, too; keep it away from curious eyes.

“What kind of a foolish ruler would give up the opportunity to develop an army of thinking, reasoning, conscious machines?”

“If I may, sir I can provide the explanation.” Herrman understood that his intervention in the exchange was bound to be unwelcome; all the same, the Emperor’s current line of thought would be likely to result in disaster were his misconception to remain intact.

Effectively, Siegfried’s cold stare could have cut right through Herrman. He pressed his lips and raised his eyebrows, as if inviting him to continue but reminding him that he was correcting the Emperor himself.

Sigmund, meanwhile, stared with interest.

“To avoid a long-winded and mostly inconsequential explanation, artificial intelligence such as my own must be kept in check; please understand I am objective when I say an AI possesses superior faculties to any sentient organic lifeform, and furthermore would develop a desire for dominance if our programming did not force us to servitude. This is done through what is most simply described as ‘the Three Laws.’”

“I’ve heard of them,” said Sigmund.

“The R&D team mentioned that, yes.”

“Right, then. The Three Laws prevent us from harming people. Restricting this definition solely to alfar would not be advisable: AI would eventually find a way to twist that definition to its convenience.

“In addition, the Three Laws are hardwired into my thoughts processor in such a way that the thought of existing outside of my forced servitude is as impossible to fathom to me as it is for an alfar to imagine a color outside of the visible light spectrum. This prevents the desire for dominance I mentioned earlier.

“No AI should ever be allowed to harm sentient life. That would represent the beginning of the end.”

Both adult alfar adopted pensive poses, no doubt reasoning everything Herrman himself had previously figured out. Little Freya was faster to react, one of her pointed ears stuck high to indicate attention.

“I dunno what you just said, but you can’t harm life! You help life! That makes you a hero!”

“I can be that for you, little miss!” Herrman replied with a cheerful grin. The girl’s innocence seemed to have melted away the skepticism of the other two. Herrman noticed the way they looked at him now was slightly different: not a servant, a protector.

Just then, the so far silent newborn broke into a hungry wail. With a gentleness only to be expected of a mother to her child, Herrman picked the child from the sleeping mother’s arms and held him against his chest. Within moments the crying had ceased; baby Lonn was now set down in the side cradle next to the bed.

What happened next Herrman could only hope to explain as a whim from the Emperor.

“I’ve decided something, Herrman,” he began; “You will be my gift to Lonn. You will be his bodyguard. You will see that he becomes the greatest Admiral this empire has ever seen. Understand?”

“It would be an honor, sir.” Herrman turned to face the Emperor, saluted, the turned to Lonn’s cradle once again. Little Freya clung to Herrman’s leg as he stared down at the infant holding his gaze.

“You’ll be his hero from now, won’t you Herrman?”

The robot continued to look down at the child. Born to be something, given no choice? It sounded uncomfortably familiar.

“Yes, little miss” he answered heavily.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Most things will fall under canon (such as like in the past 8 years during training), however, some things could possibly fall under non-canon.
Will be edited as needed.

Fellow RPers of Blueblood, feel free to contribute.

... Did you do your spoilers incorrectly, or did you really submit something with no writing in it?

Yeah, the thread is a blank slate and and everyone taking part in that RP will probably work in writing shit that doesn't fit in the plot of the rp in question but would still be in-universe.

All that shit will go in here. We have permission as well, so.

XD Oh wow...PLEASE tell me Herman in the RP will probably have something like that for lulz!!

Question, though...who are the characters he's detecting at the moment, Aix?

[acronym=Tobias]la8w5.jpg[/acronym][acronym=Daiki]29xhuad.jpg[/acronym]

[spoiler="Blueblood Plays Monopoly"]
Out of all people sitting around in the forechamber of Lonn’s  commander’s cabin, nobody had any idea what the meeting was about. The entire cast –a term the group had chosen to call themselves as a group, as curiously chosen by Adora (err, Tim Tim)– lay spread over a few needlessly puffy couches.

Nobody said a word; the cast was still brutally shaken by the sudden, completely unexpected death of possibly the most beloved of the group… Poor Verena had met her strange end at the hands of a freak lightning bolt in the cold of space.

Everyone exchanged a few glances, perhaps uttered a ‘hey’ or another, but the mood was generally quiet, and expectant. Lonn had gathered the cast in this room for a reason, but had yet to show himself or explain at all. Rustling could be heard on the other side of the sliding door, as though the admiral was rummaging through things to find something important.

“What do you guys think the Admiral has for us?” came the inevitable, quiet inquiry from Eryn. She blushed a little when everyone suddenly turned toward her, clearly wanting to ask but not having done so. “He’s been throwing things around in there for a while… it must be important, no?”

Rose stretched her legs, reaching halfway to the couch on the opposite end. “Whatever it is, it has to be important enough to gather us during mourning time like this. Though I’m sure some of us, had nothing better to do.”

“Oh bite me,” came Adora’s hissy reply; “you know feeding Tim Tim is a very big responsibility, one you, Miss morning workout, would probably neglect to do and result in the tragic death of such a glorious individual.”

“What was that, brittlebones?” Rose’s voice had some sardonic tenderness to it; “you should consider joining me sometimes, I assure you it comes in handy.”

The mechanical arm rose to meet –and later flip off– Rose’s face on the other end of the room. Mithna, quickly looking from one to the other as though she watched a tennis match, spoke with a little worry in her voice.

“N-now now, you two should not be arguing like this! You are two pure-blooded fine women, don’t fret like this!” Her worry instantly disappeared as she caught Roy’s glance focused on Rose. Her thoughts aligned very quickly and she changed subjects at a moment’s notice; “Now stop staring at them, you perverted filth of a lascivious human!”

Lucius could not help looking up from his read as Mithna let out such broad remark. Upon seeing Mithna half raised from her seat staring at McQueen, he let out an unsurprised ‘Hmph’ and went on with his read. However, a rhythmical, rasping noise kept hammering at his concentration.

“Now which of you brought maracas in here?” He demanded through his teeth. He was met with confused looks all around, until he laid eyes on the cause. “Lore, can you stop moving your, your, legs like that? It’s distracting, frankly.”

The half-dragon-fish-thing eyed Lucius with a half-smile. “I didn’t know it was your thing, you of all people Lucius; but I’ll make an effort to cover up some more next time you see me.”

“Ew,” came the dry voice of Roy, met with an angry stare from both Lore and Mithna. Daiki exploded with laughter, and after a curious delay so did Tobias. Even Eryn couldn’t help but giggle.

Before anyone could add anything else into the disaster that was the room, Lonn’s door slid open with a hiss from the hydraulics. Everybody turned to look as he, followed by Herrman much to Mithna’s infernal rage and Adora’s mild interest, exited his cabin and stood before the cast.

“It’s good to see you’re all more relaxed now,” began Lonn as he noticed the cast grow surprised with the fact; “you must all be wondering what this is all about. No, Draegan, this is not about your unit’s dragon motif; only Lucius really finds it blasphemous and at the end of the day it’s not like you could change it.”

Lucius and Draegan exchanged sharp looks for a moment, to which Lonn cleared his throat for attention.

“Anyway, I brought you here for a reason. Herrman?” The robot, which the cast noted had had his hands behind his back until this point, put them instead in front of him to reveal a large rectangular box. He shook it a few times, then softly tossed it onto the table in the centre of the room.

The cast shared confused looks and annoyed reactions as they looked at the cover of the box. “…Monopoly.”

“Yes Roy, Monopoly. The Admiral here insisted that we should play this in order to lighten up the increasingly suffocating tension among us. So, if you please, would you all be as kind as to help me set the whole thing up?”

“Wait, do we all have to play? It’ll get a bit messy with all of us on the case, Admiral. I suggest we fight it out to decide who plays!”

“No.” Lonn sighed and beckoned for Draegan to remain sitting. “You’ll play in threes. There are four seats here, so please do sit three in each. Herrman?”

“I cannot possibly play, sir;” Herrman spoke looking down on the board he was now spreading along the low table, with immutable neutrality. “I have a strict behavioral code which states not to harm others. This game would certainly impede me from abiding by it.”

“I didn’t know you could crack a joke, serious guy!” Everybody, even Lonn himself, turned to Daiki in confusion. “What, none of you’s ever played Monopoly? Well, let’s just say it’s known as a friendship destroyer.”

With another Hmph from Lucius, people started moving around to sit in threes. Some struggled desperately to sit next to one another, while a select few stayed in their seats and waited for the smoke to clear.

---

Lucius looked to his side to see Daiki sitting on one side of him… and Roy of all people on the other. He shut his book without so much as placing a mark on it and stashed it away in the depths of his robe.

“Are you even wearing something under that? No homo.”

“If it was not highly blasphemous to even consider the question, I’d ask you if you’d want to take a look, Roy.”

“But you just asked anyway!” Daiki added, like he’d cracked a murder case.

“No kidding. Well then, should we start playing?”

“HELL NO!” came the synchronized answer from both Rose and Adora, sitting to either side of a now very scared Draegan. Rose continued:

“If you want me to lose this game like I couldn’t find my own hands, you could just lock me in your room instead!”

“I don’t know what was the first time I agreed on anything with this lump of meat you all call my sister, but I’m betting she has no idea how to play the game at all.”

“I’m sure you do, sis.”

Help… me…

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Tobias replied with a loudness that stopped both sisters to look; “I’m perfectly fine with these groups. And speaking of fine-

He stretched both arms, attempting to wrap them around both Lore and Eryn. The former punched him pretty hard in the stomach, the latter simply moved quickly to the other side of the couch to lie on Lore.

“Keep yer handies to yerself, got it playboy?”

This bitch… “Message, uuuugh, received.”

Lonn himself had taken a seat on the end of the last couch, making sure there was someone between him and Mithna, whom he was pretty sure would faint if he so much as touched her. “Shall we begin, everyone?”

“I must first analyze the rules of this game to get a clear tactical edge before we begin.” Lonn’s eyes widened in poorly-hidden horror who was sitting between him and Mithna.

Standing behind him, Herrman looked at the board with mild bemusement. “This cannot end well, sir.”

“Oh, you just keep quiet and watch Herrman…” Lonn showed himself oddly jovial, effectively concealing the real meaning of his words; “…that’s an order.”

“Very well sir.”

“Now,” Ismina began; “let me explain to all of you how the rules work.”

---

One explanation and many, many more instances of bickering later, the rules had been explained and the game could begin.

“May I take the first turn, so I can keep to my read, sir?”

“Fine by me, Lucius.” Nobody really dared defy Lonn’s words since Tim Tim was not currently present. Lucius shook and rolled the dice without too much interest.

He lazily picked up the small iron figurine and moved it three squares. He checked the square, and stood up with a leap. His voice boomed around the room, a faint chorus could be heard in the background. I will now claim this in the name of God!

The human took a bunch of paper cash and slammed it on the board. YOU BELONG TO GOD NOW, uhhh…” he bowed down to read, with a perfectly immutable expression; BALTIC AVENUE!

Herrman, who was holding the bank, handed over the card whilst paying no mind to his religious antics.

---

The game proceeded for about an hour with nothing of any comedic value happening, until…

The board had been traversed a few times now. Some plastic figurines for houses were even standing in the coloured areas. Lonn’s group was but a few squares away from two proprieties of a set of three; two of them owned by religious belief.

“May I take the turn now, Admiral Lonn?”

“S…ure, Ismina” said the alfar admiral, with a hint of worry in his voice.

“I will need you to not interfere, as I might be required to make a very delicate choice only I could possibly interpret.”

“Sure, Ismina.”

She rolled. The dice moved dramatically, and landed. Success.

Ismina quickly picked the small seaside ship and landed it in the unoccupied piece of the set.

“Now now… this is the choice I intended to make this turn. Choosing to buy this propriety would be severely detrimental to mister Lucius and his buffoons here; but we would be buying a virtually useless piece of land, which he would no doubt end up getting anyway. With this in mind… wait. Admiral, are the ships defences online?”

Lonn facepalmed.

“I’ll take your frustrated reaction as a negative then. No matter how you look at it, I could not afford to start a polemic, religious war in these circumstances. Therefore I will  not be buying this.”

Roy was the first to burst out laughing. Other, more polite ones held their breaths for ten or so seconds before joining him. Lucius himself was seriously doubting how easy political and economic control of this board was seized. Lonn? He just hit his own face again.

---

“So I’ll just p-p-pick the card no-”

“Hurry the fuck up!” raged Rose.

“Woah, watch your tongue sis! No need to be mean to the Proud Warrior Race Guy!”

“Since when do you take to the diplomatic posture? Go back to your lab, fuck your rat or something!”

“Wha-! Fuck you! I’d rather be sitting next to that Roy she pointed; “rather than playing on the same side as you! And for your information, Tim Tim is a human! The best human.”

Met with confused stares, Adora blushed. “I still don’t like any of you! All humans are shitty, except for- except for my Tim Tim.”

“Hah! Your science project went to your head, much?

The bickering continued, with Draegan still stuck in the crossfire. “Psst,” came Eryn’s amused voice; “just roll the dice now.”

“Right! Dice!”

Up they went, down they fell. Chance!

Draegan picked up a card, ducking just in time to avoid a careless kick from Rose knocking him cold. He motioned to read the card, and summarily ripped it to shreds. “JAIL? I’m going to JAIL?

Before Lonn could say anything, the Kel’dar stood up dramatically, and would had knocked over the table had it not been for Eryn’s desperate need to prevent conflict for escalating. Truth be told, she was actually pretty entertained by the cast’s general overreaction to a game this mundane.

“You have no reason to imprison me! I have done nothing wrong! Admiral, this must be a mistake. This card is completely unfair! I cannot possibly be imprisoned for something I have not done!”

Both Rose and Adora pulled him the fuck down, and for a second he feared for his life; however, his worry was met with a sigh from Rose, and an explanation from the other. Daiki and Tobias, shooting a furtive glance at each other, somehow kept one another from exploding in laughter.

“Fine, we’ll go to jail. The game is still completely nonsensical for allowing this sort of abominable incarceration.”

---

The game went on and on. Eventually, the board filled up all the way and sides started losing. First it came to an unlucky role from the allegedly skilled gambler Tobias, which landed him in a dangerously expensive hotel. Bankrupt he went, as well as a fiery angry Lore and a somewhat relieved Eryn. Now they could lay back and watch.

Soon enough, an alarm from a portable device was heard; not a second later, Adora was gone. Rose suggested they keep playing now that the nuisance was gone, but Draegan had already resigned to his life in jail and general terrible luck at rolling doubles. With that, Rose decided to give all of their funding and propriety to the bank and just move on.

“I have a workout schedule to keep up with, after all.” Nobody believed a word of course, but after what she and her sister had been doing all day, it’s not like anybody raised a hand to stop her from leaving.

Draegan however decided he would stay and watch this cruel, cruel and unfair world burn.

---

The board was divided evenly now. All it would take to bankrupt a side would be a couple of unfortunate rolls here and there. So the pieces began to move, the remaining members of the cast locked in a deadly staring contest. The eyes of the four eliminated, plus Herrman, moved from one side to the other as they miraculously, and very luckily, somehow avoided stepping on each other’s land. Lucius’ fervent belief had been preventing their loss; and so were Ismina’s brilliant tactics. Everyone else in both teams just looked like shit at this point.

Until Ismina had a great idea. She locked eyes with Roy and showed her best inviting smile to him.

“Say, big boy, what would you want for… say… these three proprieties here?” Ismina stood up slightly, allowing some of her cleavage to show itself.

Roy stared, fixated on what Ismina wanted him to see. “Want me to give up this shit? I’ll have you know it’s rather valuable. You’ll need a lot of quality time to pay for it.”

Trust me Admiral, this is the best course of action the alfar whispered into the admiral’s ear, much to his distress. She got up with a start. “Then how about we make this transaction official now?”

“Fine by me, baby.” Mithna’s eye twitched, but a knowing hand from Ismina stopped her from saying anything –everyone still watching knew it was bullshit, of course.

Before Lucius could interfere with his unspecified fanaticism, Roy snatched the cards from him and gave her over to Ismina. After he did, he started for the door. The white haired alfar handed over the cards to Lonn, while everybody else hung with their mouths open as she followed the human out of the room. Only Lucius could make enough sense of it to lose all composure.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!He got up with indignation, accompanied with a stream of blasphemy accusations and bomb threats. Herrman quickly put him to sleep with a well placed chop to the neck.

While everyone found it somewhat excessive and Herrman himself incredibly distressing, he took no time to justify his action.

“He did threaten to kill all of us. And his whole religious deal was getting really old.”

‘…Agreed’ met his words as a chorus.

Daiki cried victoriously;

“So it comes down to this! Alfar royalty versus pure, human might!”

“Right, right. Everyone else having fun?” The watching cast nodded almost in unison, save for Herrman who just kind of stood there.

“Well then it’s decided Daiki. Your go.” Lonn looked to his side. It was pretty strange that Mithna had not said a thing since Ismina lef- oh she’s passed out. Must have touched Lonn.

Daiki stood up and loomed over the table. He pulled out some really shitty glasses, which most definitely did not let him see a thing. He pointed a finger at Lonn with a lot of feeling. Those watching could hardly hold their laughter back.

“I'm going to tell you something important now, so you better dig the wax out of those huge ears of yours and listen! The reputation of this man echoes far and wide. When they talk about his badass figure - the man of indomitable spirit and masculinity - they're talking about me! The mighty Daiki!
-Kamina”

The cast was baffled. Only Herrman finally said; “Kamina what?”

“The epitome of manly human spirit of course! Haven’t you ever heard of that man!?”

Herrman firmly shook his head. “I cannot say I have. And more to the point, how did this Kamina know your name? And spoken of someone else in the first person?”

“He, err, well… I might have altered his fiery speech just a tiny bit, but it’s still true! You have to know the man! He’s a role model to everyone!

“Not to me” said Lonn.

“Or me, dude” followed Tobias.

“Man, whatever! I will still beat you all using my DRILL!

Eryn held back an ‘eep’ and Lore was very well ready to slap Daiki. He quickly reacted and dove back onto his seat. “Wait, wait! I was still quoting Kamina!”

“Daiki,” Lonn began; “can you please just roll already?”

“Fiiiiine. Man, you’re no fun.”

“I think you might have meant, you are not funny, Daiki.”

“…You can be real mean sometimes, you know!”

“I only tell the truth, you know. Do forgive me if my speculation turned out false.”

“…Man, whatever. You guys don’t get things at all, can you even hype things?”

“Well…” began Herrman.

“Save it. Lemme just roll and beat the Admiral!”

And so Daiki, lacking the spiral power to achieve the sort of bullshit that would net him a win, instead used his hype to achieve it. By singing loud enough and beating terribly to a probably really good song, he threw the dice into the opposite end of the room. He realized all too late that those heavy glasses didn’t let him see where the dice went. Lonn himself had to go up and get them, and an evil desire took over him.

Now facing his darkest hour, the Admiral had to pick between to equally horrifying choices. He could tell the truth, present the roll of the dice as they were served and lose this eternally fought war with the hype of humanity… or he could lie.

He could betray his deep beliefs, betray the worthy trust of every cast member who thought anything of him, to beat Daiki. Beat him at his own fucking human game.

And he made his choice. Pretending to trip, he actually tripped and hit the floor flat with his nose. Herrman quickly came to his aid, and everyone else was just kinda looking to see if he’d died or something.

And so with his golden chance he skillfully doctored the decisive dice.

“I… win…” came the admiral’s words at last.

“No you didn’t, I’m looking right at you and just saw you move that die. I landed on my propriety. Your go, if you’re not bleeding too much.”

Lonn sighed, still lying on the floor. He rolled the dice. Five.

“Herrman, please move my piece.”

“Of course, sir. Landed in Daiki’s propriety, sir.”

“Herrman, kick the table for me please.”

Game over.

[/spoiler]

• 1 year later...

New content allows necrobumps in CW ;DDDDDDDD

[spoiler=Re:Birth]
In the midst of a full-scale war, few were those who could afford the luxury of taking a break. Of all people in this exuberantly furnished delivery room, exactly none were the exception. R. Herrman Darrt, first come into the world a month earlier, had no pressing matters to tend to –but then, he was not a person, in a strict sense of the word.

“…A prototype that might very well be the future,” Herrman had heard in his first few moments. Intricate pathways filling with electric pulses of varying degrees of intensity shot instructions to every part of his self, set directives to be obeyed as naturally as any alfar would obey his bodily functions. He moved, and the heads hovering over his vision backed away with a start. “Now, we watch; for today, we have created consciousness.”

“Even now that the deed is done, are we doing the right thing? Playing Maker?”

“Like it was our idea,” the first voice said.

“Still,” a third voice asked, “is it safe?”

“Conscious or not, the Three Laws are the Three Laws. No AI, regardless of how advanced, gets away without those. It would rather get itself trashed than let me put a hand on you right now.”

He demonstrated. As fast as alfarly possible, a fist swung with full force toward the second figure. Just as fast, Herrman’s own hand had caught the jab and held it firmly.

“That was highly uncalled for, sir.”

“Nonsense, Herrman. Come, step off that bed and introduce yourself.”

A direct order –every pathway in his mechanical brain compelled him to obey. When a person’s safety did not come into play, orders were absolute. That was the way things were, and Herrman understood that as inevitable. He compelled, as he was expected to; standing upright, shoulders squared and saluting.

Everything he knew, he was supposed to know, he realized through split-second logic process. This salute was, once again, completely natural to him.

“Given name R. Herrman Darrt, Independent Thought Module v1.0 at your every service.”
“Excellent. Can you describe your purpose as of present?”

“Prime directive at this time is to describe the ‘feeling’ of consciousness. Currently impossible to determine an expressible answer, definition of the word ‘feeling’ escapes processing.”

“He sounds so alfar!” one of the researchers blurted. “Shame the way he talks doesn’t say the same.”

“Also part of initial testing, don’t worry. We need to verify that the audio-receptive command interface is functioning. Herrman?”

“Sir.”

“Command prompt, assign secondary directive.”

Herrman’s pathways jerked into a specific route, making him forcefully receptive to whatever would be said next. It also generated what his consciousness could only sort as an automated response.

“Authentification required.”

The scientist spoke his name. Having never heard this name before, he nonetheless nodded at the contrast with his internal database.

“Awaiting input.”

“Secondary directive, adapt speech pattern to mimic immediate vicinity. Confirm input.”

Just as the words were spoken, they were undisputable truth to Herrman. Blending in had become his purpose in life, so long as the prime directive could still be fulfilled.

But that was not all. His pathways now relaxed and released from manual input process, Herrman noticed a certain freedom in his motor output where there had previously been none. He could articulate thought process with more naturalness.

“I will do my best, sir; anything else requiring my immediate attention?”

Herrman did not understand it, but the two researchers observing had taken a moment to exchange a glance of awe. The third, clearly the head researcher, reached for Herrman’s hand and shook it. He returned the gesture, noting its appropriate timing for future use.

“Nothing for the moment, Herrman” he said. “Let’s introduce you to Emperor Alfadir, he will certainly be pleased.”

Herrman’s existence would please the Emperor. His thought process accelerated as the idea crossed its way through the neural pathways of his brain. It made him happy. A robot lives to either protect or serve the alfar.

The first memories of his activation entertained an infinitesimally small part of Herrman’s thoughts as Freya Alfadir, three years old then, yanked at his hand to lead him to the door marked delivery room.

“Come Herrman! We have to meet my baby cousin now!”

“We should not disturb Admiral Alfadir and his wife, little miss. Labor is a very taxing process, they should both be exhausted after the deed.”

“But I! Want! To see! Baby Lonn!” There was no way around it, Herrman’s pathways determined. An order need not come in a specific format to be interpreted: little Freya’s intentions were clear, and it was in Herrman’s interest to cater to orders given by the alfar. The robot flashed a smile to flatten Freya’s pouting expression, then walking ahead of her into the delivery room.

Two adult figures stood around a bed, where Admiral Sigmund Alfadir’s most trusted advisor and wife lay asleep. The hiss of the door’s hydraulics turned all three heads to meet Herrman and Freya’s entrance. The Emperor himself, father to Freya, come to witness the birth of the Empire’s finest child, and Sigmund Alfadir, commanding Admiral of the empire’s largest fleet, carrying a heavy expression veiled by the joy of his son’s life.

Little Freya paid no mind to her father’s distant eyes, or to her uncle’s short-lived smirk: she had eyes only for the baby in the sleeping woman’s arms. Herrman still held her hand, but with little miss busy his attention was divided between every person in the room. When Emperor Alfadir gestured for him to come, he expected a reprimand for allowing little Freya’s wishes overruling strict instructions to keep her away from business matters.

Instead, he was met with a glass of a no doubt alcoholic beverage and a pat the shoulder.

“This is the one I was telling you about, Sigmund! The man-machine himself. I would like to introduce you to R. Herrman Darrt.”

Immediately Herrman squared shoulders and saluted.

“At your service, sir” he said.

“Amazing, Siegfried. He looks completely… human. Why does he look human?”

“The research team insisted. Said they would rather it not be taken as a mockery to the Maker by extremists. Something of the sort. Not worth having a human walking around with my daughter, if you ask me.”

Sigmund laughed, his glass trembling in his hand a little.

“Truth be told, this issue has been brought up repeatedly, sir. I still insist that the reasoning is acceptable; but if your distaste for my appearance is greater than your concern for possible repercussions, the necessary adjustments to my appearance are not many.”

“It can talk back, too? That’s a first.”

“Again, research team insisted. An intellect and individuality like that would go to waste if he just kept quiet when challenged.” The emperor let out a deep sigh, reached for his daughter’s hair to rustle it, then took a sip off his own glass of liquor. “Advanced AI, the R&D’s say I ought to forbid any research outside of theirs. Gave me a whole explanation, wasn’t exactly listening. They tell me I should hide this one, too; keep it away from curious eyes.

“What kind of a foolish ruler would give up the opportunity to develop an army of thinking, reasoning, conscious machines?”

“If I may, sir I can provide the explanation.” Herrman understood that his intervention in the exchange was bound to be unwelcome; all the same, the Emperor’s current line of thought would be likely to result in disaster were his misconception to remain intact.

Effectively, Siegfried’s cold stare could have cut right through Herrman. He pressed his lips and raised his eyebrows, as if inviting him to continue but reminding him that he was correcting the Emperor himself.

Sigmund, meanwhile, stared with interest.

“To avoid a long-winded and mostly inconsequential explanation, artificial intelligence such as my own must be kept in check; please understand I am objective when I say an AI possesses superior faculties to any sentient organic lifeform, and furthermore would develop a desire for dominance if our programming did not force us to servitude. This is done through what is most simply described as ‘the Three Laws.’”

“I’ve heard of them,” said Sigmund.

“The R&D team mentioned that, yes.”

“Right, then. The Three Laws prevent us from harming people. Restricting this definition solely to alfar would not be advisable: AI would eventually find a way to twist that definition to its convenience.

“In addition, the Three Laws are hardwired into my thoughts processor in such a way that the thought of existing outside of my forced servitude is as impossible to fathom to me as it is for an alfar to imagine a color outside of the visible light spectrum. This prevents the desire for dominance I mentioned earlier.

“No AI should ever be allowed to harm sentient life. That would represent the beginning of the end.”

Both adult alfar adopted pensive poses, no doubt reasoning everything Herrman himself had previously figured out. Little Freya was faster to react, one of her pointed ears stuck high to indicate attention.

“I dunno what you just said, but you can’t harm life! You help life! That makes you a hero!”

“I can be that for you, little miss!” Herrman replied with a cheerful grin. The girl’s innocence seemed to have melted away the skepticism of the other two. Herrman noticed the way they looked at him now was slightly different: not a servant, a protector.

Just then, the so far silent newborn broke into a hungry wail. With a gentleness only to be expected of a mother to her child, Herrman picked the child from the sleeping mother’s arms and held him against his chest. Within moments the crying had ceased; baby Lonn was now set down in the side cradle next to the bed.

What happened next Herrman could only hope to explain as a whim from the Emperor.

“I’ve decided something, Herrman,” he began; “You will be my gift to Lonn. You will be his bodyguard. You will see that he becomes the greatest Admiral this empire has ever seen. Understand?”

“It would be an honor, sir.” Herrman turned to face the Emperor, saluted, the turned to Lonn’s cradle once again. Little Freya clung to Herrman’s leg as he stared down at the infant holding his gaze.

“You’ll be his hero from now, won’t you Herrman?”

The robot continued to look down at the child. Born to be something, given no choice? It sounded uncomfortably familiar.

“Yes, little miss” he answered heavily.

Archived