Having More Than One Mod Check a Thread Before It is Locked

It's just slow and inefficient because there's countless times when there is only 1 active mod online while the others are offline or afk.

But I already explained that crap usually quiets itself down and gets back on track- in those situations where a couple of members "spam" a thread.

And besides I also said that if a thread CLEARLY breaks rules it won't need 2.

Things that people find questionable should not be locked on whim IMO because that is highly opinionated.

Is it legitimately hurting ANYTHING to have a thread open for a few more minutes/maybe hours?

Seems like a stupid suggestion.

I think the onus is on the topic creator to prove your topic isn't crap. If you feel your topic was unjustly locked, you can ask a super mod to weigh in. Pretty sure LZ and evil typically listen to that kind of stuff and are pretty neutral for these kinds of things.

tl;dr - is it legitimately hurting anything to have a topic locked for a few hours?

Seems like a stupid suggestion.

I think the onus is on the topic creator to prove your topic isn't crap. If you feel your topic was unjustly locked, you can ask a super mod to weigh in. Pretty sure LZ and evil typically listen to that kind of stuff and are pretty neutral for these kinds of things.

tl;dr - is it legitimately hurting anything to have a topic locked for a few hours?

Locked topic usually equals killed discussion. Also, mods should be held at a higher standing than normal members (you should know this, Pika) and having one unjustly locking a thread doesn't meet that standard. If the prosecution has the burden of proof during a trial, then the moderators should be bound by that same principle since they are essentially the judicial system here. And Pika, stop acting like an egotistical a** please. I've been noticing that, and it just needs to stop.

It seems like everyone's refering to some specific topic that no one's quite ready to link to yet, and I don't care enough to go searching around the board for it when I'm looking for Easter eggs.

I don't see how you attribute what I said to me saying mods shouldn't be held to higher standard. With regards to "unjustly locking a thread", pretty much every member in the world is gonna whine that their thread was locked unjustly.

In my opinion, mods lock topic, and give reason as to why their locking it.

If the member disagrees, send it to super mods to appeal.

Having two mods have to agree before a decision is made is stupid.

It seems like everyone's refering to some specific topic that no one's quite ready to link to yet, and I don't care enough to go searching around the board for it when I'm looking for Easter eggs.

In my opinion, mods lock topic, and give reason as to why their locking it.

If the member disagrees, send it to super mods to appeal.

Having two mods have to agree before a decision is made is stupid.

How is it stupid....that a decision was thought out in detail?
We're not referring to one topic, rather a bunch and also for stuff in the near future.

I'm confused as to what Super Mods have over normal mods. Are you seriously telling me Night has more power than Yin *shot*

And in the event that a Super Mod locks a topic? Do we appeal to YCMaker himself? I largely dislike the idea of appealing because it's one guy Vs the mods. In a sense. I admit part of my hesitation is skepticism of appealing to a mod...it just seems flawed and a waste of breath.

How is it stupid....that a decision was thought out in detail?
We're not referring to one topic, rather a bunch and also for stuff in the near future.

I'm confused as to what Super Mods have over normal mods. Are you seriously telling me Night has more power than Yin *shot*

And in the event that a Super Mod locks a topic? Do we appeal to YCMaker himself? I largely dislike the idea of appealing because it's one guy Vs the mods. In a sense. I admit part of my hesitation is skepticism of appealing to a mod...it just seems flawed and a waste of breath.

.Some decisions don't require that much thought. I assume the "stupid" part is delaying the locking of a topic that PROBABLY deserved to be locked until a second mod can extract him/herself from their everyday life to agree that yes, the topic deserved a lock.

Super Mods are higher in the hierarchy. They have more literal power than regular mods.

Appeal is probably not the right word to use. We're not going to get into heated legal battles over a locked topic. If a member disagrees on the reasoning provided (and for the record, mods are supposed to provide a reasoning when locking topics), they should discuss it with that mod. Dragging in Super Mods over something petty is a waste of time and effort. Now if the mod is genuinely being a nasty, unprofessional jerk about it, THEN you might want to consider mentioning to a Super Mod.

Granted, the majority of the time, you will probably lose the "appeal", either with the original locking mod, or with another member of the team. Mods usually have a pretty good grasp on what topics warrant locking, but I say that with the bias that I simply haven't witnessed any flagrantly bad judgments recently and therefore may be choosing to pretend it doesn't happen.

Honestly, ya'll keep preaching about some kind of topics that were locked unjustly but it sounds like nothing but hypotheticals to me. Maybe one or two topics were, in your opinion, unjustly locked a short while ago but that wouldn't warrant changing the entire moderating system

I'm clearly a terrible person who only enjoyed lording over my power and punishing people, so I probably shouldn't be speaking, but if people turn a topic into spam and... kinda get away with it, they'll think they can keep it up, or keep doing it. "Oh the last time I told a dumb pointless story that ended with Loch Ness Monster asked me for tree fiddy nothing happened. NOW I get modded for it?"

And then members raise a fuss over the rules not being applied evenly. Someone posts that dumb "ORLY?" Owl and gets away with it with a few likes, and a few quotes with nothing but "lol" written. Mods are all like: "Yeah yeah, keep it moving along.", then some other idiot replies with that dumb "Ya rly" owl and now you gotta punish people. You can't punish the first guy, because you already waved him off and told him to go about his business. It would seem unfair. Can't punish the second guy, because then you look bias. "Oh, Bob gets away with it but I dont!? Mawd aboose!"

All this suggestion would do is turn the mods to be more ineffectual. Which is bad.

thats what night did when he wraned me...

If you have concerns, you can bring it up to the other Super Mods (LZ or me), though with a glance at the warn in question last month, it seems the tone he used was because he was provoked. I would need to do more digging to find out the details of the situation.

Typically, I'd be referring to a mod being a jerk without a justifiable reason. There's the chance of catching people on a bad day, too, but either way, it would require investigating the surrounding circumstances.

Archived