Names!

(GigaDrillBreaker)

General is active now? TIME TO MAKE A TOPIC!!! 

Anyway, what are your favorite names, (male, female, unisex, whatever) and why? Least favorite? Do you like your own name? Do you wish your name was something else? [URL=http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/065/ec1/d96/resized/randy-marsh-meme-generator-im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-an-off-topic-forum-900dea.jpg]Is this topic relevant in any way[/URL]?

So yeah, discuss the wonderful topic of names!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's three names I've grown fond of, and if I have children these are at the top of the list.

William/Will. It just sounds nice, and versatile, William/Will could be anything.

Astrid. It's a really pretty name imo. This would be for the first girl.

Penelope/Penny. Love this name, don't have a real reason. Except it sounds really cute with my last name, which of course I'm not revealing.

Penelope/Penny. Love this name, don't have a real reason. Except it sounds really cute with my last name, which of course I'm not revealing.

Yes. So much this. I love the name Penelope so much, if I ever have a daughter that will be her name. I think it has to do with the character in LOST, but it is also the name of Odysseus's wife... so that is cool, I guess.

You dont happen to have my English teacher, do you? Because this is what we talked about in class today. o.o

Anyway, ill say in here what I said in there: I like my name, it comes from my two Grandfathers' first and middle name (One from each). I prefer to think i've come to define what my name means, not that my name defines who I am.

Also, when you Google my name the first three results are former Dukes, one of whom is the father of William the Conqueror.

Oh, and I want my son to by [My name], Jr. Because I personally thing legacy names are really cool.

My name is fine. It feels rather bland to me, but that's because I've lived with it for over 2 decades. It may seem cooler to someone else.

As for names I like, as a writer, I've got quite a few of them just by looking up names for characters.

Favorites at the moment are Caiden, Aiden, Erik, William, Flynn, and Ennis.

My name is fine. It feels rather bland to me, but that's because I've lived with it for over 2 decades. It may seem cooler to someone else.

As for names I like, as a writer, I've got quite a few of them just by looking up names for characters.

Favorites at the moment are Caiden, Aiden, Erik, William, Flynn, and Ennis.

What about Erik makes it better than Eric?

For my own name, it's alright, got too used to it to say if it's cool.

And like Agro as a writer I go through a lot of names. The ones I mentioned are my current favorites.

But another problem is I make so many characters that if I ever named a child I'd have to be careful about naming them after my own characters. (For instance love the name Aiden but I have an arrogant a**hole character named Aiden in some stories.)

What about Erik makes it better than Eric?

Natively Scandinavian name, rather than bastardised into English.

I'm Finnish, so yeah.

Either name is actually fine. It comes down to spelling and I know several Eric/Eriks. It's just that the one I've been e-mailing a lot is Erik, my editor, so I used that. I don't care much about "bastardizing," as spelling is very arbitrary when it comes to names, and in the end, rather meaningless, with the pure purpose just to do something different (which I can support)

It's why we have interesting names like Shaniqua

Whatever that was supposed to be.

I like the names Jaden and Robin a lot, for whatever reason. I might name my kids those some day, though maybe not.

I also have a particular penchant for the name Christian since it's basically a family name for me at this point.

Names I don't care for...I'm probably gonna offend some people here and I apologize, but I don't like the name Michael. It's so freaking common that it feels over-saturated for me.

At my one bussing job, I have come to work with 7-8 different Mikes over the course of 3 years. Not to mention the 10 Mikes I knew from high school and a Mike I'm good friends with right now.

If I have a daughter: Hina

Serious: Since my name is made up and based on my mom's name, my mom is helping strengthening the stereotype of Black people. Hooray!

I always liked the name Corey and Carlos, from magic school bus because he my bro, but I'm not Spanish, so it would be weird for my kid unless he  have some kind of Spanish in him.

For my dog or other kind of pet: Toshi.

[spoiler=If you want to know why, watch this video.] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGXWDqQB3NU[/spoiler]

I like my name, since I'm technically named after a mythological hero. (Might explain why the protagonist in a fic of mine is named after me)

As for other names, don't think I have that many outside of Sakura (which I use for naming a lot of my pets / my current nick here and on some other sites), my girlfriend's name and some other Japanese names I look up on some name site.

There's three names I've grown fond of, and if I have children these are at the top of the list.

William/Will. It just sounds nice, and versatile, William/Will could be anything.

My name is Will. If you want your child to be bullied at school for being called "willy", "willy ham" etc. then by all means call your child Will.

Archived