Spam sub-section

I don't want to write an essay like most of the people in this section so I'll keep it short.

We had this on PR, it's a section where any off-topic/spam topics can be put because tbh, everything is getting locked these days. And don't tell me "but there's the game section", don't be stupid, I know there are a lot of stupid members here, game section is for games. I'm sure posting a topic called, "HAPPY 10TH DAY ANNIVERSARY" isn't a game (no offence to hype beast, you ma boooiii).

With that section I'm pretty sure the activity of this site is going to increase a bit, at least.

[spoiler=Riddle Me This]
AUNtDC7.png
[/spoiler]

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No support. The status bar exists for a reason, people. And believe me, it's more orderly than what other forums seem to have (quickchat box).[/thread]

The average status lasts for less than a day, almost always much less at busier hours. The majority of the threads that I assume would come out of this would last far longer than that.

I do think this is a good idea. Just having a section cordoned off for spam would genuinely increase the activity on this site. I'm fairly sure that's why General received such an activity surge; just because we were having fun saying half-meaningless things.

I understand what you are saying, though I see no use for a spam sub-section when we have a status bar since it fulfills the same purpose in the end. Also, it's much easier to make and post in a status than a thread (i.e. less clicks). If you really want to test what a spam sub-section would do, I'd be interesting in seeing that unfold; however, I would not be interested in seeing it be implemented without testing whether or not it would increase forum activity. That's just me though.

You did not write an essay, and neither will I, but I WILL give my thoughts on why I believe deciding against this is utter stupidity.

And that is, as I have mentioned in other topics, that it allows members who would not otherwise be active get the ability to be active and participate in the community. A topic allows a more stable discussion while keeping the conversation consistent in subject with the longevity a status update would never allow. Unlike a status update, the content is not transient and the people involved can feel more involved, where the forum will see less self-destructive incidents of quieter members saying "I only lurk and talk in status updates;" primarily the opposite of what a forum is made for. Allowing these topics would also allow topics that are in a grey area (like, you know, everything conceivable) a place where they would have none otherwise without the inevitable despair entailing the eradication of anything silly being crushed by various moderators soon after hanging over everybody involved's heads.

By allowing such a section to exist, the forum gains activity it would not have had, dispelling the fear-ridden concept of YCM being on its last legs and everybody disappearing, and can even allow people to participate in lesser version of already-existing topics. A place, for example, where members would sincerely be allowed to discuss the beauty of the mainstream sexes without being condemned for the absolute bigotry of instantly accusing those people to be sexist when it is rather INhuman to suppress that discussion and MORE SO to discuss how these bodies are beautiful on an artistic, intelligent level. Or, in the case of Daemon, ONE THAT DISPLAYED HOW OPEN-MINDED AND KIND THE PEOPLE HERE REALLY ARE.

Caps for IMPACT and EMPHASIS.

I understand what you are saying, though I see no use for a spam sub-section when we have a status bar since it fulfills the same purpose in the end. Also, it's much easier to make and post in a status than a thread (i.e. less clicks). If you really want to test what a spam sub-section would do, I'd be interesting in seeing that unfold; however, I would not be interested in seeing it be implemented without testing whether or not it would increase forum activity. That's just me though.

Let me point something out that I said to LZ a while back.

God f*cking damn it, we are a children's card game forum. (Note, I would never actually dare swear at Papa LZ) If something is fun, then we go for it because at the end of this day, this forum is all just fun and games. If it doesn't work, we delete it. We will still set down rules against anything that would cause actual offence (not just pictures of pretty women), but otherwise anything goes.

Full support for this. If other mods agree then we'll go ahead.

Guess this is getting my support.

If it does come into play though, post count will have to be disabled. While I would like to say "keep all the spammy stuff in games", there are some things [like hypebeast's thread] that don't really belong there so I won't. Though it does go without saying that Yin is the one who's been locking the majority of said threads.

If this will make YCM go back to its old activity level, then go for it.

Full and immediate support~

The status bar doesn't even begin to compare. You are only allowed to write around 3 lines of text per comment, and only up to 100 comments. As if only 5 display front-page ones weren't enough to say it's limited.

This is the sort of idea for which we have nothing to lose, and I'm sure many of us have at least once wanted to post a topic about something or a no-topic talk that's not as selective as a group PM, but haven't because it just doesn't go anywhere.

I'd say part of why the site is not all that active, is because of the heavy "be on topic and you better be good at this topic" mindset some places here have. So we need this. At least a try.

Spam section might sound pretty spammy because one can easily imagine the worst that could be posted as if it was the only thing to be posted.

I think good stuff will come out of it, and that many members around here know better than to make threads that arrant bans on purpose.

Don't we have enough sections that are just spam fests already? Never seen it on another forum and probably for a reason. No support, because I don't see the point. 

I'd rather have quality activity than very poor random quantity.

Don't we have enough sections that are just spam fests already? Never seen it on another forum and probably for a reason. No support, because I don't see the point. 

While I usually agree with you Yin, this time I'm in full support of this thread. So, I'll try get you to see the point.

TCG gets next to no spam, nor does RPing (thanks to Aixy-kun locking it out on sight.) Custom Cards has its own waste bin in Any Other Cards.

I've seen it on another forum (which I won't name publicly, but will gladly name through private channels) and, while their general chat section was split up into academics, controversies, and anything else...and games, anything else is still anything else. (However, said other forum doesn't make stupid threads based on shallow principles, but it does other stuff so...)

I have enormous doubts that it will destroy the "YCM is dying" trend at all, nor will it make lazy lurkers more active. Those assumptions are stupid. But the section isn't supposed to do that.

A section's role is to be a haven in which certain topics birth into discussion. Having more topics to discuss isn't a bad idea.

Needless to say, post-count should be disabled. But, there's no point not trying it since it'll do no harm. If it turns into a cesspool of stupidity, the mods can very easily go back on this.

Ergo - nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Idk what spam is to you but postint a topic about beautiful woman is not spam nor is it anyway demeaning to women. I think you just take it waaaaay to seriously as if you're an FBI agent lul.

I think if other mods agree it will happen. You don't have to moderate it anyway so you needn't worry about what going on in the section. Just relax, this is a website not a CIA HQ.

Archived