Spam sub-section

I don't think I get what kinds of threads are being suggested to go in this new section, or would be considered 'spam' and good for the section or whatnot, so can't really instantly dismiss or advocate such an idea. Except:

I think if other mods agree it will happen. You don't have to moderate it anyway so you needn't worry about what going on in the section. Just relax

Oh yes, an unmoderated section given free reign of to the people around here. That'll go so well. I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this. :rolleyes:

If it gets opened, then yeah see how it goes and if it increases activity then good luck to it (which I doubt because lazy/uninvolved people will still be lazy /uninvolved). If it becomes an incessant cesspool of inane drivel and unsuitable posts for the forum (which I suspect it will) it gets removed. Simples.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I get what kinds of threads are being suggested to go in this new section, or would be considered 'spam' and good for the section or whatnot, so can't really instantly dismiss or advocate such an idea. Except:

Oh yes, an unmoderated section given free reign of to the people around here. That'll go so well. I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this. :rolleyes:

If it gets opened, then yeah see how it goes and if it increases activity then good luck to it (which I doubt because lazy/uninvolved people will still be lazy /uninvolved). If it becomes an incessant cesspool of inane drivel and unsuitable posts for the forum (which I suspect it will) it gets removed. Simples.

Unmoderated section? You make it seem like Suigintou is the only moderator online. No one said it shouldn't be moderated. I suggested that if she did not like the idea, SHE doesn't have to moderate it. Learn to read before make such blunt statements.

YCM used to have standards. We didn't bow to spammers and give them their own section. We didn't unban people who have proven to be toxic to the environment. Instead of trying to increase the quality of the site we lower our standards? That's pretty embarrassing.

I don't see how fun is lowering the standards. Apparently you've been on this website for so long. You have no idea how well operated sites go about. Check PR, VFX, and other good quality websites. 

Unmoderated section? You make it seem like Suigintou is the only moderator online. No one said it shouldn't be moderated. I suggested that if she did not like the idea, SHE doesn't have to moderate it. Learn to read before make such blunt statements.

I don't see how fun is lowering the standards. Apparently you've been on this website for so long. You have no idea how well operated sites go about. Check PR, VFX, and other good quality websites. 

Ooh jeez, someone's touchy :rolleyes: If it really matters that much, I read the you as the general 'you all in general' offhand sense rather than the personal you 'singularly Yin', and made a sarcastic comment. After all, sarcastic comments are fun, and would surely only be encouraged and smiled upon in this spam section that you are advocating. Alright pumpkin? *Handsome Jack voice*

So anyway, seeing as I appear to have your rather agitated attention, I would like to be enlightened by examples as to what would qualify as a good fun spam thread in said section.

Ooh jeez, someone's touchy :rolleyes: If it really matters that much, I read the you as the general 'you all in general' offhand sense rather than the personal you 'singularly Yin', and made a sarcastic comment. After all, sarcastic comments are fun, and would surely only be encouraged and smiled upon in this spam section that you are advocating. Alright pumpkin? *Handsome Jack voice*

So anyway, seeing as I appear to have your rather agitated attention, I would like to be enlightened by examples as to what would qualify as a good fun spam thread in said section.

Someone's not touchy; you're just incredibly stupid.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely the Queen of Being on YCM For Too Long.

In any case, name dropping sites I don't even recognize isn't exactly going to change my mind. Even if it could, again I don't recognize those "good quality websites".

On that note, just what exactly are you all planning on posting on this "Spam Subsection" that you couldn't post in general, games, clubs, or all the other spammy shitholes on this site?

I thought Clubs and Organizations already existed?

I don't see why not, a place for less lenient rules sounds about right. That way we can members no one likes to only the spam section of YCM. 10/10 bes idea.

The amount of c***s trying to start unnecessary s*** on this site is getting my head tangled.

... lol

Oh yeah, I'm definitely the Queen of Being on YCM For Too Long.

In any case, name dropping sites I don't even recognize isn't exactly going to change my mind. Even if it could, again I don't recognize those "good quality websites".

On that note, just what exactly are you all planning on posting on this "Spam Subsection" that you couldn't post in general, games, clubs, or all the other spammy shitholes on this site?

Unfortunately, these websites that I have suggested have been around the internet since early 2004 and are still highly active; more than YCM would ever been.

The spam section holds all the threads that have been recently locked because some are "demeaning to women" (lol apparently saying a woman is beautiful is demeaning now) and some are "I don't see how we can discuss this" (which obviously could easily be discussed but I don't know what's wrong with some moderators).

And how is a club remotely equal to a section where different topics can be created?

Unfortunately, these websites that I have suggested have been around the internet since early 2004 and are still highly active; more than YCM would ever been.

>Was given suggestion "Check PR, VFX, and other good quality websites."
>Googles
>"Public Relations, Puerto Rico, Professor" "Visual Effects, Carbon VFx, Watch the Grand Budapest Hotel"

Yeah, you're either gonna have to stop being so vague on this or just stop bring it up all together. kthanks

And how is a club remotely equal to a section where different topics can be created?

People spam and talk about whatever in Clubs. So they'd spam and post whatever in a Spam Sub Section.

>Was given suggestion "Check PR, VFX, and other good quality websites."
>Googles
>"Public Relations, Puerto Rico, Professor" "Visual Effects, Carbon VFx, Watch the Grand Budapest Hotel"

Yeah, you're either gonna have to stop being so vague on this or just stop bring it up all together. kthanks

People spam and talk about whatever in Clubs. So they'd spam and post whatever in a Spam Sub Section.

I would stop being "vague" as soon as this site stops having gay "you're advertising" rules. Tagfreak or VibrantFX. Just check those.

A club is not the same as a spam section. period.

I would stop being "vague" as soon as this site stops having gay "you're advertising" rules. PlanetRenders. Just check that one.

I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be any justification for being vague on matters like this. All that does is make your standpoint weaker.

I'm sorry, but there shouldn't be any justification for being vague on matters like this. All that does is make your standpoint weaker.

Not really. It just makes your members uncommitted. Anyone who's committed to the site would stay on the site regardless of advertising or not. In PR, VFX, and TF we had a section for advertising. Everyone could advertise their own website or a website that they thought was good.

Not really. It just makes your members uncommitted. Anyone who's committed to the site would stay on the site regardless of advertising or not. In PR, VFX, and TF we had a section for advertising. Everyone could advertise their own website or a website that they thought was good.

I don't see how that is even remotely related to the point I was trying to make.

If you're using the forums as a means to evidence, you should want to provide links to those forums, and links to the sections on those forums you're talking about. You should want to hit people with the books, hard. Not be ambiguous about it.

Do you want to provide links to these places, so we can see what you mean, or not?

I don't see how that is even remotely related to the point I was trying to make.

If you're using the forums as a means to evidence, you should want to provide links to those forums, and links to the sections on those forums you're talking about. You should want to hit people with the books, hard. Not be ambiguous about it.

Do you want to provide links to these places, so we can see what you mean, or not?

I see what you mean. I thought you were commenting on why I shouldn't be "advertising".

I don't need to give you links, either way. I've stated the names of 2 websites. You can search for it. Look at the forum as a whole, not just the section. 

TagFreak

VibrantFX (haven't been there in a while, maybe the domain has been changed)

PlanetRenders (haven't been there in a while so idk what's going on or who's the admin anymore)

I see what you mean. I thought you were commenting on why I shouldn't be "advertising".
I don't need to give you links, either way. I've stated the names of 2 websites. You can search for it. Look at the forum as a whole, not just the section. 

TagFreak
VibrantFX (haven't been there in a while, maybe the domain has been changed)
PlanetRenders (haven't been there in a while so idk what's going on or who's the admin anymore)

I will get back to you on this then, I'll keep a track on the sites and will get feedback to this thread.

YCM used to have standards. We didn't bow to spammers and give them their own section. We didn't unban people who have proven to be toxic to the environment. Instead of trying to increase the quality of the site we lower our standards? That's pretty embarrassing.

Tell me why the Games section even exists. Games is 101% spam, but people enjoy it. This is a similar/exact same idea.

I fail to see how creating a new section would really affect the standards and quality of the rest of the site. Will it drag down every other section into spam? No, it is its own section for a reason, what happens in it will not leak into the other sections. In fact, it would simply contain all the spam that the other sections would rather not have.

And in the end, if it really doesn't work, we can simply remove it, easy as that. There's no harm here in trying new things, we're never going to get anywhere if we simply reject every possible change.

As for unnecessary, there's no such thing as unnecessary on a children's card game forum. The point of this forum is having fun, and if something is fun and won't screw everything over, we do it.

Tell me why the Games section even exists. Games is 101% spam, but people enjoy it. This is a similar/exact same idea.

I fail to see how creating a new section would really affect the standards and quality of the rest of the site. Will it drag down every other section into spam? No, it is its own section for a reason, what happens in it will not leak into the other sections. In fact, it would simply contain all the spam that the other sections would rather not have.

And in the end, if it really doesn't work, we can simply remove it, easy as that. There's no harm here in trying new things, we're never going to get anywhere if we simply reject every possible change.

As for unnecessary, there's no such thing as unnecessary on a children's card game forum. The point of this forum is having fun, and if something is fun and won't screw everything over, we do it.

IMAGE REMOVED

Good question. I'd say remove it but considering you're aiming to degrade the forum further, I doubt it would happen.

Um, I answered it myself - people enjoy it. God forbid people enjoy themselves during their free time on an internet forum. What you don't seem to understand is that people's definition of fun isn't always "intelligent" discussion and organized debate or collecting stamps or whatever else you do as a pastime. In fact, doing silly things and inane chatter is far more effective in relieving stress and preferred as a ways of entertainment for many.

If you're looking for uptight standards, look anywhere other than the Games and the future Spam section. Don't click on it, stay away from it. It doesn't affect you and it doesn't affect anything else either.

Good question. I'd say remove it but considering you're aiming to degrade the forum further, I doubt it would happen.

Mistress Pika has spoken, but as much as I agree with some of where you're coming from, you're not helping yourself. The Games section is popular and a contribution to the site, even if half of the stuff is... well... yeah... dumb inane silly.

At the end of the day it's a forum that's (supposedly) about YGO. There's only so much of a level of high brow you can expect. I'm not actively opposing this and if people want to try it then by all means. I just don't believe it will suddenly make inactive users active or many other users would go there if it becomes truly mind-numbing.

Do you collect stamps for fun?

Which is not that different from people collecting YGO cards (and not using them for duels), or anything else, thinking about it.

inb4SoYouCollectStamps. I collect Number cards.

And I'm still waiting for examples of what a spam thread would entail in terms of content. You were deliberately vague with the 'these other websites have spam sections' argument and then effectively mumbled out some acronyms no-one interested in researching had a hope of decoding (don't give me that advertising excuse, it was a perfectly valid reason for giving links that would have been let slide), so please, whenever you're ready. I'd genuinely like to know what you're proposing for it rather than instantly dismissing it as much as I would like to.

Um, I answered it myself - people enjoy it. God forbid people enjoy themselves during their free time on an internet forum. What you don't seem to understand is that people's definition of fun isn't always "intelligent" discussion and organized debate or collecting stamps or whatever else you do as a pastime. In fact, doing silly things and inane chatter is far more effective in relieving stress and preferred as a ways of entertainment for many.

If you're looking for uptight standards, look anywhere other than the Games and the future Spam section. Don't click on it, stay away from it. It doesn't affect you and it doesn't affect anything else either.

Pretty much this. I doubt I'd be interested in going in this section as it stands, or that it would work, but don't let me stop you.

I take it from your ascertiveness that you are currently looking for a way to impliment this already then Aix?

inb4SoYouCollectStamps. I collect Number cards.

And I'm still waiting for examples of what a spam thread would entail in terms of content. You were deliberately vague with the 'these other websites have spam sections' argument and then effectively mumbled out some acronyms no-one interested in researching had a hope of decoding (don't give me that advertising excuse, it was a perfectly valid reason for giving links that would have been let slide), so please, whenever you're ready. I'd genuinely like to know what you're proposing for it rather than instantly dismissing it as much as I would like to.

idk about yugioh or whatever, but I don't see people going around playing a strategic card game with stamps.

Look at the first post in this page before you run your mouth around. Because all your arguments are presented as if you're a 5 year old. Really, I have explained it clearly in the first post. All the threads that are getting locked in 'general' can go in the spam section. How clearer do you want it to be? You're really just proving that you want to argue with me. Open your head bro, seriously.

idk about yugioh or whatever, but I don't see people going around playing a strategic card game with stamps.

Look at the first post in this page before you run your mouth around. Because all your arguments are presented as if you're a 5 year old. Really, I have explained it clearly in the first post. All the threads that are getting locked in 'general' can go in the spam section. How clearer do you want it to be? You're really just proving that you want to argue with me. Open your head bro, seriously.

Oh really? For god's sake why am I even trying to get through to you sensibly with a simple and perfectly reasonable request? I even pointed out the card games thing myself. Sigh.

Look; I simply asked you for an example of what would go in such kind of new forum? Apparently that's a 5 year old thing to do. You responded to Pika by 'whut, do you collect stamps, hurr hurr hurr' and to me with 'can't play card games with stamps'. Which is obviously is so much more adult and mature <_< Other people (myself included) tried to find these other websites you said have this forum to see how it worked for themselves, and obviously had no chance of ever finding them.

I'm not picking an argument for the sake of it, because - believe it or not - I have much better things to do than waste my breath on you, but I am a stubborn old mule and I will fight my corner when people get shitty with me, even if I am in the wrong. I made one light-hearted sarcastic comment in response to this thread, and you retorted in a militant way. Since then all I've wanted was to see an example of what would qualify for this section, that the forums as they are don't cover and thus make it fill a legitimate gap/niche in them, which is surely reasonable. Since you have now enlightened me - in your rather brusque manner - let's have a look at all these locked threads:

[spoiler=Example Locked Threads from first 2 pages of General]

"10 Day Anniversary" - New member makes a thread about himself being here 10 days. Er, woohoo? There's a celebrate anything thread in games that covers this and is posting for the sake of posting.

"Spiderman Topic" - 2 year old necrobump

"What the fk is this thread" - Suppose this qualifies, granted.

"Fun is bad" - Non-thread made to deliberately antagonise a mod. Wouldn't exist in such a section, because the mod wouldn't bite as intended.

"Beautiful Men/Women thread" - I can understand the reasoning of they're being locked *dons tin hat* I said I understand, not neccessarily agree.

"So I got warnings" - Member wants to know why he was warned, which is a discussion for PM. Forum rules are clearly stated and easily found.

"How do you post cool pics" - Question. Answered.

"YCMaker is online" - And? YCMaker is sometimes online? That's a great thread :rolleyes:

"Thread about Coolspy's like" - Another thread about the OP. Pretty sure there's a rep count thread in Games.

"Serious question about a Joke Status" - Thread was getting flamed/nasty, so locked. I see you were involved in this, and having a go at someone seemingly for interrupting a private discussion and not keeping their nose out of an issue that was 'just between you and Kyng'. ON A PUBLIC FORUM NO LESS???[/spoiler]

In short, I honestly don't see all that much in that albiet short selection that would make the clamour for an entire 'post whatever random thought happens to drift across your mind' sub-forum that great or interesting, or how any of these examples should be just left open and moved to a different section, aside from one or two possible examples. But that's just me, and then again these topics are mostly new members not used to the forum rules, stuff that turned into a flame fest, or were made with the knowning/intention of being locked, so the content of a spam section where you were permitted to post what you want would probably be a tonne different to all this anyway. Hence why I asked for your explanation. But evidently that was too much and a very childish thing to do.

Now I'm sure you're going to come back with some mature response to my five year old response, and I'm gonna try not to rise it any further. I don't oppose this new section at all, I just won't be interested in it, and I don't think it will make a jot of difference to activity other than a few certain members posting every tiny little thing they pops into their head. Which is not neccessarily a good thing.

Allow me.

Oh really? For god's sake why am I even trying to get through to you sensibly with a simple and perfectly reasonable request? I even pointed out the card games thing myself. Sigh.

There has been a massive misunderstanding on both sides. 

Matt: Pika is a horrible role model and I don't recommend listening to her. This section cannot hurt the site to try and implement it for a test period. Some of the threads that have been locked lately (Which I will be getting too) have been locked for relatively dumb reasons.

Ali': You were being a bit vague at points, which certainly didn't help anything.

You responded to Pika by 'whut, do you collect stamps, hurr hurr hurr' and to me with 'can't play card games with stamps'. 

Pika didn't deserve a better response then that. Her point was already dismissed earlier as adding this section cannot "degrade" the site. If you don't want to see it, don't click on it. It's a section that would have post count disabled where FUN discussion is the point. "Structured" topics are generally the only thing welcome around here, even though most of them are legit horrible. This section would add a place where looser threads could be posted without risk of locking.

Other people (myself included) tried to find these other websites you said have this forum to see how it worked for themselves, and obviously had no chance of ever finding them.

Ali': Yeah, you should've linked to them. Once you made the point of them being beneficial to the forum, it no longer becomes advertising really. Rather it becomes you providing proof for your claims which would strengthen your argument. If someone warned you for advertising after that, that mod team would need to rethink about that person being a mod.

but I am a stubborn old mule and I will fight my corner when people get shitty with me, 

This is more of a personal comment on you, not trying to be rude, but this really is a bad way to see things. Some people in life are naturally sarcastic and blunt. That doesn't mean they're trying to attack YOU, it's just how they make their points. You have to learn to be able to see that. And being stubborn is bad, it causes beneficial changes to be delayed or to just not happen.

"10 Day Anniversary" - New member makes a thread about himself being here 10 days. Er, woohoo? There's a celebrate anything thread in games that covers this and is posting for the sake of posting.

The thread could have evolved into a fun discussion that could have been interesting. Having this new section could give it a chance to do that rather then being locked immediately. Also YCM NEEDS people to post for the sake of posting so that isn't really a bad thing. :/

"What the fk is this thread" - Suppose this qualifies, granted.

Qualifies, so yeah.

"Fun is bad" - Non-thread made to deliberately antagonise a mod. Wouldn't exist in such a section, because the mod wouldn't bite as intended.

Thread was actually pretty entertaining to read and fun to post in. Besides, I'm in full support with Frunk in that particular thread.

"Beautiful Men/Women thread" - I can understand the reasoning of they're being locked *dons tin hat* I said I understand, not neccessarily agree.

There was no legitimate reason to lock this thread. There was a legit discussion going on and most of the people in that thread were being respectful about it. I truly do not believe this thread should have been locked by any means. It was a decision made by a touchy mod who shouldn't have been rash. It was not demeaning.

"YCMaker is online" - And? YCMaker is sometimes online? That's a great thread

So it would be okay to have a thing about it on the status bar, but not in a section made for threads like this? Sure.

In short, I honestly don't see all that much in that albiet short selection that would make the clamour for an entire 'post whatever random thought happens to drift across your mind' sub-forum that great or interesting

It needs to be tested. That's the point of this thread. At this rate, we will NEVER know because of people who claim it is pointless to even bother trying. If we resist EVERY change that even has potential to help the site, the site will die. This could potentially bring more activity to YCM, and if it doesn't work, then it is easy to remove it. There's no reason to not give it a try.

It has every potential to work, and every opportunity to fail. But there is no reason to not give it a try, as it really cannot hurt the site when it's so easy to remove it. :/

Archived