Spam sub-section

"10 Day Anniversary" - New member makes a thread about himself being here 10 days. Er, woohoo? There's a celebrate anything thread in games that covers this and is posting for the sake of posting.

The thread could have evolved into a fun discussion that could have been interesting. Having this new section could give it a chance to do that rather then being locked immediately. Also YCM NEEDS people to post for the sake of posting so that isn't really a bad thing. :/

You can't be serious about encouraging a vanity thread. It should be self-explanatory why threads like such shouldn't exist.

"Fun is bad" - Non-thread made to deliberately antagonise a mod. Wouldn't exist in such a section, because the mod wouldn't bite as intended. 

Thread was actually pretty entertaining to read and fun to post in. Besides, I'm in full support with Frunk in that particular thread.

Violates the rule of flaming, ergo the thread was intrinsically wrong to create in the first place. You shouldn't even be trying to defend it.

"YCMaker is online" - And? YCMaker is sometimes online? That's a great thread

So it would be okay to have a thing about it on the status bar, but not in a section made for threads like this? Sure.

But, threads like this shouldn't have their own section, because the amount of discussion this could generate would fit in a status bar.

Just needed to offer insight that a lot of people have overlooked.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't need much discussion.

Let's just try it. There's no harm in that. If it doesn't work, we delete the section and go on with our lives.

Jesus, YCM Drama is even worse than in 2011.

Well, it needs to go beyond the mods first.

Just needed to offer insight that a lot of people have overlooked.

That fun is bad thread is hardly flaming. Not even the strictest definition of flaming can frame that as such. It was calling out a mod for doing their job poorly, constantly.

IDK how the vanity thread point makes even remote amounts of sense. Why can't people be vain? Isn't that what post a pic of yourself is, to a lesser degree?

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?s=a13f5fc1de9accf3139cf6710b70ca5b&showforum=23

This exists. Clearly, DGz is dying because it has a crazy spam kingdom. Clearly it degrades the quality of the forum.

And the greatest hypocrisy in this thread, for anyone arguing against a spam subforum, is that games is used as such anyways. Why could games not just be reformatted as such? It wouldn't hurt anybody, in any way, to just admit what everyone treats the games subforum as.

So basically, we already HAVE a spam subforum, but no one wants to admit it's such, because we're "too good" for that or some such stupid s***.

EDIT:

I'm neutral on this subject, truly, but at least be realistic and make coherent points.

That fun is bad thread is hardly flaming. Not even the strictest definition of flaming can frame that as such. It was calling out a mod for doing their job poorly, constantly.
Complaints about someone's behaviour on the forum is to be taken to Private Messaging, to what my knowledge serves me, specifically because this thread wasn't handled in a mature way, and reasonably could've caused the member in question to feel harassed. According to our rulebook, that is flaming, so...

IDK how the vanity thread point makes even remote amounts of sense. Why can't people be vain? Isn't that what post a pic of yourself is, to a lesser degree?

Firstly, what is someone just so happens to say something in said thread that the vain-glorious one doesn't necessarily like? Boom, we've got a bichin' fest.

Secondly, what kind of shallow person would seek such attention, when they can very well just get it from their friends elsewhere? Like Skype, Facebook, etc.

Thirdly, the simple act of creating such stupid threads does nothing good for the reputation of a person, simply painting them as either an egomaniac seeking attention, or somebody who really needs friends - so why the hell should they even be remotely considered okay?

Fourth, why would you want to create a vanity thread? To boast? Who in the right mind would want to convey such utter arrogance?

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?s=a13f5fc1de9accf3139cf6710b70ca5b&showforum=23

This exists. Clearly, DGz is dying because it has a crazy spam kingdom. Clearly it degrades the quality of the forum.

Can't see it, ain't a member of the forum, so...insight, please.

And the greatest hypocrisy in this thread, for anyone arguing against a spam subforum, is that games is used as such anyways. Why could games not just be reformatted as such? It wouldn't hurt anybody, in any way, to just admit what everyone treats the games subforum as.

So basically, we already HAVE a spam subforum, but no one wants to admit it's such, because we're "too good" for that or some such stupid s***.

I don't see why this couldn't happen. Seems like the easiest way to make the change, without having to do something as silly as making a whole new section for what we already have.

I think I found a way to strike a balance between those who want a Spam subforum, those who are neutral, and those who oppose it. Why not make the Games subforum the Spam subforum? Games would still be allowed within it, but it would include other topics that would constitute as Spam. For those who oppose this, a similar thing was done with Any Other Cards. It was once a place where new card concepts and the like were placed. Now Joke Cards and RC's broken cards are sent there to be with those other threads. This would essentially be the same thing as what I'm proposing as a compromise.

I think I found a way to strike a balance between those who want a Spam subforum, those who are neutral, and those who oppose it. Why not make the Games subforum the Spam subforum? Games would still be allowed within it, but it would include other topics that would constitute as Spam. For those who oppose this, a similar thing was done with Any Other Cards. It was once a place where new card concepts and the like were placed. Now Joke Cards and RC's broken cards are sent there to be with those other threads. This would essentially be the same thing as what I'm proposing as a compromise.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Interesting. We could try.

EDIT:

I'm neutral on this subject, truly, but at least be realistic and make coherent points.

ayfkm i just said this and now you come in and tout it like a new idea

Well, reading this thread at least explained stuff.

Technically, General in um...general is our "spam" subsection. What exactly does General not already cover?

I admit I may have forgotten the valid discussion points when reading the member-to-member conflict posts.

General is our "have orderly discussion that doesn't belong in other sections" section. It is hardly our spam and "get our silliness out" section. Believe it or not, General does have standards when it comes to keeping spam to a minimum among other things (e.g. Yin's recent locks in General threads). What people here want is a section to get the silliness out. Games and the status bar do that, but people want more than that.

Eh, I was hoping the "Spam" section would just be "a section where topics that don't quite fall into all the other subsections could be posted" instead of like "a section where everyone tries and fails to be funny".

Not saying everything has to be all serious business just... the section just looks like an extension of dumb one liners and low effort posts.

Eh, I was hoping the "Spam" section would just be "a section where topics that don't quite fall into all the other subsections could be posted" instead of like "a section where everyone tries and fails to be funny".

Not saying everything has to be all serious business just... the section just looks like an extension of dumb one liners and low effort posts.

Thanks for the update.

Did you seriously expect intelligent content in a spam forum? You might want to reconsider your expectations.

Maybe looser topic rules can be introduced and people who want a more serious discussion in a topic that is miscellaneous or doesn't fit anywhere else can put a certain tag behind their topic's title and that would apply the loose rules? That way it can be full of the people failing to be funny and people who want an actual discussion can implement a few set rules by putting that tag.

Maybe looser topic rules can be introduced and people who want a more serious discussion in a topic that is miscellaneous or doesn't fit anywhere else can put a certain tag behind their topic's title and that would apply the loose rules? That way it can be full of the people failing to be funny and people who want an actual discussion can implement a few set rules by putting that tag.

Good idea, I'll add that to the rules.

Pika it will be until people grow bored of it, which they will without fail.

I'm trying to learn to auto filter it, so I can see the topics in general I actually want to read. Aix is looking to see if we can exclude sections from the last post list.

Archived