Spam sub-section

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assumed this would happen, which was why I originally disagreed with the idea.

I tried to tell my self otherwise when it seemed to be a losing battle. "Maybe it'll be more like discussions, like what they do on those 'better sites' that the stupid idiot mentioned (spoiler, those forums are deader than YCM BTW)". Nope, just idiots spamming no-to-low quality posts.

"Well yeah, what else did you expect?"

I did expect crap, but I didn't expect it to be quite at this level.

I assumed this would happen, which was why I originally disagreed with the idea.

I tried to tell my self otherwise when it seemed to be a losing battle. "Maybe it'll be more like discussions, like what they do on those 'better sites' that the stupid idiot mentioned (spoiler, those forums are deader than YCM BTW)". Nope, just idiots spamming no-to-low quality posts.

I don't particularly mind randomness existing it, but I expected variety in there along with the random.

I mean, one thing is to want to do stupid topics just for the sake of starting use in the section, but I got told to go away when I mentioned something that seemed to make sense, even though it was a short one-liner and therefore should be unacceptable anywhere else in the forum.

It's like the section downright doesn't allow the "I'm not here just to be dumb, it's just that this didn't fit anywhere else" that I wanted to see.

I think most people will grow out of it and it'll quiet down a little after a while, and that this was just the initial hype.

Once again, I'm not against the randomness, but I think some members will invade more serious topics there with randomness if said topics are made over there....

It was made for people like hype beast. I didn't expect that it would turn out this lame. I got 3 laughs out of all the threads and posts. 

Comparing YCM to other forums is silly. Planet Renders (which I hoped had gotten revived, thanks for that false alarm ken) was the biggest graphic design forum readily available. It was a huge userbase who shared resources and pieces, and one of the best places to genuinely get better. Our very own OP joined from PR (right? some kid from ycm ripped something of yours or something I think?) and stayed for whatever reason. Close second was VibrantFX, pretty similar but smaller userbase. PR and VFX died over the past few years and most of the cool cats moved to Tagfreak (which I'm pretty sure is run by Morbidsheep, she was a mod on PR and made absolutely amazing fractals).

Now, most of this doesn't mean much to a lot of you, but it helps me illustrate my point.

These forums were focused 90% on design, with the Spam/Off-Topic section to help loosen the mood (even though that was pretty simple because they were chill communities).

Pika, you mentioned reddit, so I'll presume you use it. You'd have by now noticed that reddit's popularity stems from the fact that it's huge. Tons of subreddits (the equivalent of a subforum, more or less, for those who don't use reddit) all for different topics.

YCM does the same (on a much smaller scale). We're a pretty big community which spans over many subforums. Some user's interests overlap so they visit more subforums, but in general, we can split up who's into what by what subforum they use. We have the TCG crowd, the card makers, RP-ers, Showcase cats, etc.

Now, the point of having sections like General/Games/Spam is to bring these users together in a bigger joint space which doesn't revolve around any specific talent or interest. Sure, we may have threads in General where a specific subforum's crowd may take up the majority, but that doesn't happen that often. Spam's a non-serious forum to have some fun. Having it around does literally no harm to any other part of the forum. It doesn't degrade the quality of the forum (which is a silly concept in it's own). At the end of the day, this forum isn't a serious thing. It's not any kind of serious business. If anything, we can take all the spam here and focus on improving the main sections.

Everybody just relax, and excuse me for writing an essay because of my inability to get my point across well. I'm actually pretty sure I wanted to say more things but fuck it chances are most won't even read this much, so

TL;DR suck it up

Archived