Yuri.archetype [7/7]

Aix

Let's combat homophobia! Legalize gay marriage! At any rate, this archetype features monsters with two effects, but you can only activate one of them per turn, depending on the monster's battle position, and since its battle position is decided on Summon, you have to think ahead just a little about which effect you want. Not really that hard, but whatever. Note that the effects activate during either player's End Phase.

[spoiler=DUAL-EN001 - Dualist Duet]5uN8xg3.jpg
When this card is Summoned: You can change its battle position. During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position. - Attack Position: Add 1 "Dualist" card from your Deck to your hand. - Defense Position: Negate the effects of up to 2 face-up cards your opponent controls until the next End Phase.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN002 - Dualist Hunters]8s7wk2y.jpg
When this card is Summoned: You can change its battle position. During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position. - Attack Position: Set 1 card your opponent controls. - Defense Position: Destroy 1 Set card on the field.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN003 - Dualist Swordswomen]ZEyEPEg.jpg
When this card is Summoned: You can change its battle position. During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position. - Attack Position: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field or destroy this card. - Defense Position: Add 1 "Dualist" card from your Deck to your hand.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN004 - Dualist Daemons]NlI1KnN.jpg
During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position. - Attack Position: Discard 1 "Dualist" card, then, banish 1 card on the field. - Defense Position: Add 1 "Dualist" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only apply each effect of "Dualist Daemon" once per turn.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN005 - Dualist Embrace]7kXftx8.jpg
Banish 1 "Dualist" monster in your Graveyard; draw 1 card and add 1 "Dualist" monster with the same name as the banished card from your Deck to your hand. You cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Dualist" monsters the turn you activate this card. You can only activate 1 "Dualist Embrace" per turn.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN006 - Dualist Tranquility]2glYa96.jpg
When this card is activated: You can target 1 "Dualist" monster on the field; if that monster would be removed from the field, you can destroy this card instead. You can Normal Summon 1 "Dualist" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set, but you cannot Special Summon monsters from your Extra Deck this turn. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=DUAL-EN007 - Dance of the Dualist]Ef1VX8e.jpg
When a card effect is activated: Change the battle position of 1 "Dualist" monster you control; negate that card's effects, and if you do, destroy it. If you activate this card during your opponent's turn, you cannot activate other cards or effects this turn, except the effect of the "Dualist" monster whose battle position was changed.[/spoiler]

I was going to suggest changing first eff to "When this card is Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position" but then I realized that would actually take away from it's ability to Special Summon. I like how that bit was thought out.

I would, however change this:

During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position.

to this:

During each players End Phase, Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the Battle Position of this card:

Duet: I like this, but should probably only negate 1 card, since it can search too. Otherwise, seems balanced and playable

Hunters: Seems great! I might lower its atk to 1700 or 1800, but thats just my taste

Swordswomen: 2 searchers? Im guessing I can look forward to some rank 4 Dualist Xyz? Nice card overall, but stardust will eat this card alive...hope you have an answer to that

Daemons: Cant change battle position of this one? Was that on purpose? Also...another searcher? Is this going to be like the gusto recruiter loop? Im curious what the overall strategy is for this archetype.

tranquility: instead of just tacking on the no SS clause, you should also say that said clause applies only if you activate the first effect

The other spells and traps seem very good. Very...Konami-ish, If that makes sense

Overall: Me likey

Very good cards! I agree with F.U.R.Y that the S/Ts are very Konami-ish and I don't think any changes need to be made there.

(Though the pictures would have be censored into unrecognisable squiggles - that is, if they released such cards at all in the TCG, due to the core concept behind them... maybe a Japanese-only set?! That would be awful for us TCG players.)

I think the deck is starting to look very much like a control, grind, Staple Trap-heavy archetype; they remind me of Gravekeepers, Pure Geargia (and, oddly, 4-Axis Fire Fists...) 

Due to my preconceptions of the playstyle, Daemons' discard effect seems cost-heavy and slightly out of place, but that's just an opinion; feel no need to act upon it.

Oh, and I LOVE the art of Duet. Realistically, the negation effect may need some nerfing, but I'd like to keep it as it is.

It all seems very well thought-out and the end result is great and balanced by the End Phase activations. I'm surprised you could find all those specific pictures... or do you make them yourself?

Daulist Hunters: (Attack Position) Do you mean take control of one set card your opponent controls?

No, it just means to flip a card face-down. I don't know if that's the proper grammar for doing that, I guess I gotta go read the OCG guide again.

I was going to suggest changing first eff to "When this card is Summoned: You can change it to Defense Position" but then I realized that would actually take away from it's ability to Special Summon. I like how that bit was thought out.

I would, however change this:

During the End Phase: Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position.

to this:

During each players End Phase, Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the Battle Position of this card:

"Apply this effect, depending on this card's battle position." was actually copy and pasted from Gagaga Cowboy, so I can confirm that it is the correct OCG.

Daemons: Cant change battle position of this one? Was that on purpose? Also...another searcher? Is this going to be like the gusto recruiter loop? Im curious what the overall strategy is for this archetype.

Yeah, it was purposefully done to balance it. Main strategy, I would say would be to slowly eat away your opponent's card advantage while maintaining your own, it's very slow so when building a Deck with these guys to test, I actually put in three Swords of Revealing Light.

Im guessing I can look forward to some rank 4 Dualist Xyz?

Only if I find that this Archetype is lacking or too weak.

Very good cards! I agree with F.U.R.Y that the S/Ts are very Konami-ish and I don't think any changes need to be made there.

(Though the pictures would have be censored into unrecognisable squiggles - that is, if they released such cards at all in the TCG, due to the core concept behind them... maybe a Japanese-only set?! That would be awful for us TCG players.)

I think the deck is starting to look very much like a control, grind, Staple Trap-heavy archetype; they remind me of Gravekeepers, Pure Geargia (and, oddly, 4-Axis Fire Fists...) 

Due to my preconceptions of the playstyle, Daemons' discard effect seems cost-heavy and slightly out of place, but that's just an opinion; feel no need to act upon it.

Oh, and I LOVE the art of Duet. Realistically, the negation effect may need some nerfing, but I'd like to keep it as it is.

It all seems very well thought-out and the end result is great and balanced by the End Phase activations. I'm surprised you could find all those specific pictures... or do you make them yourself?

Yep, the Deck is very much a control/grind archetype, at least, that's the best way to take advantage of them. You see, Daemons' effect is basically a once per turn Spellbook of Fate in that it doesn't even target, so I really needed a cost, besides, most of cards of this archetype search so you'll be able to maintain advantage.

I keep track of a lot of artists on Deviantart and Pixiv so I have access to a massive number of good card images.

Archived