What's up with Introductions?

DL 

You have a valid point, and here's my (extremely presumptuous) answer.

When you meet someone for the first time, either in-person or on forums, you have to base your behavior and reactions on what they give you. If someone comes in and just says "hi, I'm new" or something, you don't know much about them, and so your reaction is probably a polite hello back, maybe a little advice or offer to mentor them in their early times, etc. Unless you hit it off with them, as soon as the conversation is over, you might forget you even met them.

As a collective group, a massive majority of people here probably don't actually care too much about individual new members. They might never see them again. They might have completely different interests. Granted, they care enough to even go to the Introductions thread(s), but there's no instant investment in members, and I doubt half the new members or half the posters even return to that same thread later.

Now here's the thing Evilfusion.

If one cares enough to click on a new guy's thread then that obviously means he cares about giving that new guy a welcome.

Also most who DONT return are those who DONT post a lot to begin with

But I DO see quite a few that make more detailed introductions, like Demarx, and HE returned. In fact he was one of the most active posters a few days back.

And if you get into a pretty interesting convo in the intro thread chances are you'll remember that person rather than if you just post a copypaste hello intro and then move on.

Archived