Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set Contest (Finished)

Requirement: Make a monster that cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be a realistic card. Stretch you creativity!

Fee: (Your number of stars)2 Max fee is 25 points.
Pool donations are accepted.

Pot: 349

Thank You Aqua for the Donation!!!

Deadline: DEADLINED

All contestants and judges get a rep.
Contestants: (if you have a plus after your name it means that you have paid and submitted, if you don't have anything after your name it means that you paid the points but did not submit your card yet, if you have a minus it means that you did not pay yet)
1. Degritone+
2. josholche+
3. Ethan G92-
4. Aqua+
5. magemeek22+
6. UnendingEmpire+
7. JustAnotherDuelist+
8. TEM23+
9. Ascended Dragon Sage(formerly Thunderclap)+
10. Kamishiro Ryoga+

Judges: (Not Accepting Any More)
1. Rrrtttyyyuuuiii
Rubric:
Creativity: /10
Picture and Name: /10
OCG: /30
Usability: /20
Balance: /30
Total: /100

2. sharpretina24
Creativity: /10
TCG/OCG :/10
Name/Picture (Is it blurry?, Is it related to the name?): /5
Spelling, Ygo, Grammar etc. /5
Total: /30 (will be multliplied by 3.3 and rounded off)

3. Overfrost
OCG: /22
Balance /21
Personal Liking /4
Aesthetics /3
Total: /50 (will be multliplied by 2)

4. Sakura Haruno
Balance: /15 - Is card broken/abusable by existing stuff?
Creativity: /15 - Did you make something that we already saw or something rarely used or new?
OCG/Spelling: /15 - Are you using proper OCG [PSCT] and correct grammar usage as per the standard rules of English.
Theme: /5 - Did you follow the directions and are using Types/stats/Attributes that exist in the actual card game
Total: /50 (will be multliplied by 2)

Prize:
1st. Place: 40%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 20%
4th Place (if 10 or more contestants): 10%

If you don't want to join, please leave a reply about why you don't want to so that my next contest can be better. Thanks! :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, why not? Gives me an excuse to finally use the art I used in the card.

Points sent.

[spoiler=Knight of the Night]BnX2m6P.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 3 DARK monsters you control. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you Summon this card. When this card battles: Banish 1 DARK monster from your hand or Graveyard; inflict damage to the defending monster's controller equal to the combined ATK of all monsters they control, then negate the attack and end the Battle Phase. When this card is destroyed: You can banish it; your opponent loses 1000 life points.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

I have issues with contests that have very wide criteria like this.

"Any monster that has the "No Normal Summon/Set" restriction" covers a lot - not just monsters that have only that sentence as their Summon restriction, but it also encompasses Nomis and semi-Nomis. Granted, the sky's the limit for creativity, but it goes both ways - it's very possible for someone to create a carbon copy of an existing card and slap on the restriction, and still be legible.

Not to mention the design goal isn't clear. What kind of effects should I aim for? Something generic, or something flavourful? Something to support an existing archetype? Something that works with the game in a way never seen before? It's the endless possibilities that trap me in a position where I can't find a good direction to go.

This is just my two cents on contests like these. Others may think differently.

Coincidentally, I'm not as fond of sandbox-style games for roughly the same reason.

I have issues with contests that have very wide criteria like this.

"Any monster that has the "No Normal Summon/Set" restriction" covers a lot - not just monsters that have only that sentence as their Summon restriction, but it also encompasses Nomis and semi-Nomis. Granted, the sky's the limit for creativity, but it goes both ways - it's very possible for someone to create a carbon copy of an existing card and slap on the restriction, and still be legible.

Not to mention the design goal isn't clear. What kind of effects should I aim for? Something generic, or something flavourful? Something to support an existing archetype? Something that works with the game in a way never seen before? It's the endless possibilities that trap me in a position where I can't find a good direction to go.

This is just my two cents on contests like these. Others may think differently.

Coincidentally, I'm not as fond of sandbox-style games for roughly the same reason.

Thanks for helping me. I edited the criteria so you can take a look at it.
Don't worry, Degritone. Your card still meets the criteria.

Thanks for helping me. I edited the criteria so you can take a look at it.
Don't worry, Degritone. Your card still meets the criteria.

Don't edit the criteria on a whim, especially after members have submitted for it.

You'll have to think through it carefully before even penning it down, and if you want to double back there's a short time before people begin signing up.

Sending points. Submission:

vEAnxxI.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Cannot be Special Summoned except by its own effect. You can banish 3 "Dark Magician" or "Dark Magician Girl" monsters from your side of the field, hand, or Graveyard; Special Summon this card. Monsters from the Extra Deck cannot activate their effects. When this card would leave the field: banish this card; Special Summon the monsters banished for this card's Summon.

I'm down; sent the fee plus some extra

EDIT: Here ya go; my entry
6QnzUSN.jpg
[spoiler=Lore]Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If you control a face-up Machine-Type monster equipped with a Machine-Type Union Monster, you can Tribute that monster; Special Summon this card from your Hand. Once per turn, you can target 1 Machine-Type monster in your Hand or Graveyard; equip that target to this card. This card's ATK is equal to the total Levels of all monsters equipped to it x200. While face-up on the field, this card is also treated as Machine-Type.[/spoiler]

You're in! Gave you a rep.

vEAnxxI.jpg

You need card lore

Here's my entry.
[spoiler=my card]
HDz3ll0.jpg
Cannot be Normal Summon/Set. Must be Special Summoned by the effect of a "Madolche" Card. And cannot be Special Summoned other ways. While you control a "Madolche" Spell/Trap Card this card is also Fairy-Type. When this card in your possession is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: Shuffle this card into the Deck. When this card is Special Summoned: Shuffle 1 card on the field into the Deck.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='As promised']
Dy81gVB.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Cannot be Special Summoned unless you control no Special Summoned monsters. If your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card is Special Summoned OR when your opponent Special Summoned a monster: Target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; while this card is face-up on the field, take control of that target. If this effect is activated, this card cannot be destroyed by battle until the end of this turn, also your opponent takes no damage until then. You can only use the effect of "Illya, the Illusion Charmer" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

Sure, why not? Gives me an excuse to finally use the art I used in the card.

Points sent.

[spoiler=Knight of the Night]BnX2m6P.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 3 DARK monsters you control. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you Summon this card. When this card battles: Banish 1 DARK monster from your hand or Graveyard; inflict damage to the defending monster's controller equal to the combined ATK of all monsters they control, then negate the attack and end the Battle Phase. When this card is destroyed: You can banish it; your opponent loses 1000 life points.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

vEAnxxI.jpg

I'm down; sent the fee plus some extra

EDIT: Here ya go; my entry

6QnzUSN.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.  If you control a face-up Machine-Type monster equipped with a Machine-Type Union Monster, you can Tribute that monster; Special Summon this card from your Hand.  Once per turn, you can target 1 Machine-Type monster in your Hand or Graveyard; equip that target to this card.  This card's ATK is equal to the total Levels of all monsters equipped to it x200.  While face-up on the field, this card is also treated as Machine-Type.[/spoiler]

Here's my entry.
[spoiler=my card]
6S1rnJX.jpg
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='As promised']
Dy81gVB.jpg
[/spoiler]

To keep track of all the entries

Archived