The Sanctuary in the Abyss - [Rise of the Darklords]

BatMed

This is the cover card of my upcoming set "Rise of the Darklords", it will include new Archetypes, like "D.Evil Hero" and "D.Evil", new support cards for existing archetypes such as the "Darklords", "Shadoll"... + and I think i'll post a fan-fiction about these Archetypes...  Anyway, this their Ace Cards, cause as you notice, it support "Shadoll", "Darklords" and my new Archetype "D.Evil HERO". [I'll archive this set in my Signature]

935609STheSanctuaryintheAbyss.png

Lore:

Once per turn, if a DARK monster you control would be Destroyed by Battle: You can send 1 monster card from hand to the Graveyard instead.

Any Suggestions ??

It's meh at best. Would be a lot better if protected a monster from any form of destruction. Maybe give it another effect or something, because it's very underwhelming as it currently is.

I'll think about that, I may add another effect.

Well, since darklord's effects resolve around graveyard-summoning and swarm, i thought about a way to help you summon them from there, something like a  "Mausoleum of the Emperor" for Dark fairys in the grave triggered by a cost that we can use in your favor. For an example:

"Once during either player's Main Phase: The turn player can discard cards x the number of monsters normally needed for theTribute Summon of a level 5 or higher DARK fairy-type monster in their respective graveyard (max. 2); that player Special summon that monster from the graveyard."

A long time ago Field Spell Cards used to affect both sides of the field. I don't see why this card wouldn't be able to affect both sides, as not everyone uses a DARK Deck and even so; not every DARK Deck likes sending cards from their hand to the Graveyard. This is just to add a bit of the idea of this card being a Field Spell Card, as well as a little player interaction.

You wrote this card supports "Dark World" Decks but the way it is worded, it only gives them protection from being destroyed in battle. This is because the effects of "Dark World" cards activate upon being discarded, where this cards sends them to the Graveyard. Which brings me to the next "flaw" of this card: cards which banish (for example: "Macro Cosmos") completely shut this card down, although the same is true for the decks which most likely want to run this card. To fix this, you should change the line "You can send 1 monster card from hand to the Graveyard instead." to "You can discard 1 Monster Card instead". 

As "Electric Wizard" already pointed out, this card is a bit underwhelming as it is.

It's meh at best. Would be a lot better if protected a monster from any form of destruction. Maybe give it another effect or something, because it's very underwhelming as it currently is.

Maybe you can have the field protect itself, or let you draw a card when it is destroyed. That said though, there are also a lot of Field Spell Cards which barely do anything spectecular (think "Mountain"). But that might just be the reason why those cards are not used as much as others. 

Also I do not quite get why added the "Once per turn" clause. Each time you activate this card's effect you must discard 1 Monster Card, and most players tend to run out of monster cards when they discard them. If you are not limited to how often you can activate its effect, I can also see this card work in an "Infernity" deck; this card can let you discard the cards which you could otherwise not get rid of.

My suggestion for its effect:

If a DARK monster on the field would be destroyed by battle, that card's controller can discard 1 Monster Card instead. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can draw 1 card.

Also funny how you used two cards which have no relation with DARK monsters ("Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech" and "The Sanctuary in the Sky") for this card's artwork, and still have artwork which fits the theme.

I hope my suggestions/vision is of any use to you.

A long time ago Field Spell Cards used to affect both sides of the field. I don't see why this card wouldn't be able to affect both sides, as not everyone uses a DARK Deck and even so; not every DARK Deck likes sending cards from their hand to the Graveyard. This is just to add a bit of the idea of this card being a Field Spell Card, as well as a little player interaction.

You know Shaddolls? yeah, they're gonna be a thing, and a two sided field spell isn't going to help the shaddoll v shaddoll match ups at all for the person who would (theoretically) take up a space in their deck for this. Technically this doesn't matter as its not a real card, but y'know...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived