Master of the Fog (totally not Ameno-Sagiri)

Trebuchet MS

5UQ7SAU.jpg

[spoiler Lore]Cannot be Special Summoned. When this card is Summoned: Change all face-up monsters your opponent controls to face-down Defense Position. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; change that target to face-down Defense Position. While your opponent controls a Set card, this card cannot be targeted for attacks or by card effects. If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. During either player's turn, when a Flip Effect is activated: Negate that activation.[/spoiler]

I actually planned this for that "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set" contest, but I couldn't figure out a good Summon requirement for this. So instead, I changed it to a simple "Cannot be Special Summoned" restriction. Cuts off a lot of unforeseen card interactions.

What's the most annoying bit of the Ameno-Sagiri boss fight? That "Fog of Bewilderment" move that makes you unable to hit it until it decides to lift the fog itself. That includes the bits where it prepares a Tarukaja Mind Charged Nebula Oculus while you can't do anything about it. So I adapted it into an effect that grants it protection while your opponent's cards are face-down and rendered non-public information. Just to enforce it, it has additional effects that turn opponent's cards face-down - on Summon, and then once per turn afterwards - to make it even more persistent.

Though if your opponent's monsters are all face-down, they'll simply turtle their way out until they find a Flip effect to mess with it, won't they? That's why the last 2 effects are in place, somewhat akin to its Nebula Oculus attack. It also gives the opponent no incentive to flip up whatever's flipped face-down, with exception to any pseudo-Flip effects that bypass this card's effect. A trampler that's both hexproof and unattackable while you control face-down cards really forces you to scramble to turn everything you have face-up - or expend non-targeting removal - just to handle it.

This card really is a whole lot of "yes" and very little "no." I mean, considering all the benefits - blanket battle/targeting immunity, the ability to set your opponents cards, the ability to nullify flip effects , and then the piercing damage as icing on the cake. And yet, the card is wonderfully balanced. For your opponent must control set cards, you can only use the setting effect once per turnflip effects aren't even common (pseudo-flip is more common that traditional, so yeah), and piercing damage isn't really that great of an effect as it is. Really, every benefit is counteracted by some reasonable limit/cost, and the fact that you can NOT special summon this card makes up for the "set all cards on summon" effect.

Balance, check.

Power, check.

Effectiveness, check.

Usefulness? With the current XYZ meta, and the upcoming meta, you will be swarming, guaranteed. So tribute fodder will never be difficult to obtain - the card you made will, in fact, be quite playable. Most effects target, so that's a plus that makes your card even better protected. The card is summonable, and does significant damage to all Decks. It stalls and leaves your opponent at your mercy. Quite useful indeed.

Not much else to say, great card! 

Usefulness? With the current XYZ meta, and the upcoming meta, you will be swarming, guaranteed. So tribute fodder will never be difficult to obtain - the card you made will, in fact, be quite playable.

This will also die quickly if your opponent doesn't have Set cards, to Castel the Avian Skyblaster or a Hand, or a Bottomless Trap Hole/Artifact Sanctum that was your opponent's only Set card. It's good if your opponent is sitting on only targeting cards, but otherwise it's a big expensive target.

Your opponent can Flip Summon whatever you flipped face-down if you didn't kill it, so it doesn't get self-protection from that angle.

Based on what newhat said, I would recommend adding an on-summon effect: "Your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to this card's Summon." Just as a form of security. That would kind of make up for the fact that, chances are, this card really won't last too long. That way, atleast you don't get torrentialed or b.t.h.'ed. I guess it makes up for some of the vulnerability of the card, but at the same time, guaranteed-summon effects are not widely liked, so final call goes to you

Based on what newhat said, I would recommend adding an on-summon effect: "Your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to this card's Summon." Just as a form of security. That would kind of make up for the fact that, chances are, this card really won't last too long. That way, atleast you don't get torrentialed or b.t.h.'ed. I guess it makes up for some of the vulnerability of the card, but at the same time, guaranteed-summon effects are not widely liked, so final call goes to you

The way I see it, removal is finite. Offensive threats from monsters aren't. Your opponent expending their precious BTH/Torrential on this would mean one less card to worry about for future threats you can bring out. There's always a good threat, but never always a good answer.

Unless you're a combo Deck that really banks on this card staying on the field -- Oh, right. That's what pretty much any Yugioh Deck is today.

Ok! Your logic makes sense, and yeah, I see why you wouldn't want to add something like that under the pretense of "flavor" (after all, summoning immunity is neither creative nor really fits the theme).

That said, since your theme is to lock your opponent into a face-down stupor, do you think there is any way for you to completely negate not only flip, but also pseudo-flip effects? "Effects that trigger upon a monster being flipped face-up are negated." I'm not sure of the OCG, but I'm sure it fits your theme pretty well, and, honestly, I don't think it pushes limits so much as it just supports the "set and don't flip" motif.

Honestly, I'm kind of just nitpicking^. Your card executes its function almost flawlessly (the only reason I don't say perfect is because I daresay there is no perfect card). Of course its function makes it a card that you wouldn't put in any old Deck, but I can certainly see Decks prioritizing this card as a big boss monster (or atleast running 1 to be safe). Nice card with a niche that makes it useful but not Monster Reborn exploit-in-all-decks-until-its-banned

The way I see it, removal is finite. Offensive threats from monsters aren't. Your opponent expending their precious BTH/Torrential on this would mean one less card to worry about for future threats you can bring out. There's always a good threat, but never always a good answer.

This requires you to expend two Tributes or Sinister Yoshiro. After that, killing it with Bottomless Trap Hole requires you to expend a Bottomless Trap Hole.

Unless you're a combo Deck that really banks on this card staying on the field -- Oh, right. That's what pretty much any Yugioh Deck is today.

Heard of HAT?

Archived