Contest... In America [FINISHED]

wightpower

Sorry for the bad joke. You know, there are a lot of mythological creatures, and religious and cultural influences in many of the cards we use in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and of course many still that come from our plans for the future and our ideas of what lies beyond our homeworld. Still, I often feel that I don't quite see enough influences from my beloved Western Hemisphere, and so the purpose of this contest is to make a card with obvious American influences.

To clarify, I'm not talking about making some red, white, and blue transforming Abrams tank with bald eagles in the background. While awesome, I don't want your card to beat people over the head with its theme. I am also not just talking about the United States. I mean the whole Hemisphere. From Greenland and Canada all the way down to the southern tip of South America, and everything in between, your card's name, effect, or visual influences must come from somewhere in the New World. It doesn't have to be Native American. Rather, it must clearly come from American influences, native or otherwise. I will accept a wendigo-themed monster just as easily as I'd accept a conquistador or headless horseman theme, for example.

• This is a short contest. From the time that you join, you have until Saturday June 14th to finish your card.

• The entry fee is just 10 points. There is no maximum in case you want to raise the stakes, but I only ask for 10. If you took part in my previous contest, you get free entry in this one.

• The prizes are the same as usual. 50% of the pot to 1st place, 35% to 2nd place, and 15% to 3rd place.

• Cards should be realistic. No pop culture cards or joke cards. That being said, please have fun with the design process and feel free to think outside the box and try new things if you want. I don't oppose the pushing of envelopes.

• Any type of card is allowed, but anything that requires material must use existing cards from the real game. If you make a Ritual Monster, you must also make its Ritual Spell Card.

• Don't make anything that's being released in the newest series. I don't know anything about Pendulum monsters or whatever that new sort-of-but-not-really-dragon type is. Just stick to everything from Zexal and earlier.

• I'm the only judge. This probably won't be big enough to warrant any more than that.

• As long as you have a card submitted by the deadline, everybody earns a consolation prize of free entry in my next contest.

That's about it, I guess. Good luck, and God Bless America!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Pot: 400

Entrants:

• Electric Wizard

• UnendingEmpire

• Degritone

• Gadjiltron

• Magemeek22

• Syber_sypher

• YakimuraTheWarlord

Sending points. My card:

S4SQyAL.jpg

If you control no monsters: You can reveal this card in your hand: Special Summon this card to your opponent's side of the field. During the End Phase, while you control this face-up card: Your opponent chooses 1 card on your side of the field; send that card to the Graveyard, then change control of this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard by its own effect: you can Special Summon this card to your side of the field, but its effects are negated and it cannot attack.

Some history: This card is based on Benedict Arnold, infamous traitor of the American Patriots. Ironically, before his treachery, he was one of our most well-respected soldiers and leaders - the "American Hannibal", so he was called. As such, he was a deadly and lethal enemy, as well as a treacherous and deceitful ally - truly a "fickle foe".

Yup, everyone from my previous contest gets free entry into this one (I'll be spotting the pot 100 points to make up for it all).

@Unending Empire: Awesome card. You just shot out of the gate with that one. I'm not too familiar with Stormalong, but I really like this concept.

@magemeek22: Interesting play on the most vilified traitor in US history. I feel like I'll be more favorable to this card if you make it more like an original monster based on Arnold, rather than the man himself. Still, not a bad card.

@Gadjiltron: American history is best history.

Then here's my card. It embodies everyone I know in real life.

[spoiler=Gung-ho Redneck]Ugxm1f1.jpg

Cannot be destroyed by Zombie-Type monsters (by battle or by card effect). You can discard 1 monster; place an amount of Ammo Counters on this card equal to the level of the discarded monster +1. When this card battles: You can remove any amount of Ammo Counters from this card; increase this card's ATK by 200 for each Ammo Counter removed until the End Phase. During the End Phase, if this card has no Ammo Counters on it: Place 1 Ammo Counter on this card and increase this card's ATK by 100.[/spoiler]

TFtmard.jpg

[spoiler Lore]Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed by battle. When this card is targeted for an attack or by an opponent's card effect: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; shuffle that target into the Deck.[/spoiler]

I chanced upon Ceremonial Bell, a card from very far back. I recalled the Liberty Bell being a significant part of American history, so I went to do some research. I was particularly interested in looking for its associated dates to translate into one of its stats - however, its most significant date was 1776, when the Bell was allegedly rung after the signing of the Declaration of Independence. A monster stat with a very weird number that isn't a multiple of 50 won't do. However, another significant date was 1846, which was the earliest mention of the crack in the Liberty Bell. I eventually decided to round that number off to 1850 and make this an American cousin of Ceremonial Bell.

While pondering the effect I would give the Bell, I looked up Liberty at Last! Admittedly, said card was based off the French Revolution, but I'll take a few liberties (pun definitely not intended) here. The Bell's ringing was associated with the Declaration of Independence, so I decided to give it a watered-down version of Liberty at Last - but when your opponent chooses to strike (and ring) it, be it for a targeting effect or an attack. The once-per-turn indestructibility by battle is for functionality reasons, ensuring the other effect gets to go off at least once, even if you're Set in face-down Defense Position to avoid taking nasty battle damage.

F'TAAAANG!

points sent. here's the card.

[spoiler Entry]a66jjqt.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler Lore] Lore: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by Tributing three Level 5 or higher Fairy-Type monsters from your side of the field. This card cannot be destroyed or Banished. If you would take battle damage from a battle including this card, you may Banish a card from your hand, and if you do, your opponent takes damage equal to the damage you would have taken. [/spoiler]

[spoiler Mythology it's based on] Gici Niwaskw is the great creator god of the southern Wabanaki tribes. The name literally means Great Spirit, a common phrase used to address God in many Native American cultures.

So, basically I turned that into what I think a god is and does, a god would be indestructible and would exact revenge on those who would attack him. only I turned the exact revenge idea into a pay for ability. [/spoiler] 

Awesome! Finally an American Indian card. I think you translated its legend to a card effect very well. My only concern is that there are a lot of level-5 or higher fairies that are very useful on their own. Even though this card has a very useful effect, I feel like a real player might not go with it because of the cost of taking away 3 potentially better Fairies, you know what I mean? Maybe that's just me. That said, I really like the last effect. I would totally be a dick an attack more powerful monsters with this card so my opponent keeps taking battle damage instead of me.

wjEC8uC.jpg

3 Level 10 EARTH monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by using a Rank 7 or 8 Warrior-Type Xyz Monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.) Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 "America Token" (Warrior-type/EARTH/Level 10/ATK 2000/DEF 2000).  You cannot Special Summon other monsters during the turn you activate this effect. Once per turn: You can tribute 1 Token; destroy 1 card on the Field.

@Yakimura: Welcome!

@Electric Wizard: That's the most badass FDR I've ever seen! I commend you for doing exactly what I didn't want you to do, and forgive you because it's so metal. Anyway, I like the effect. Neat idea letting it take on other Xyz Materials as its own. My only problem is the name. I can't actually see FDR's features at the image's size, and I'll like this card a lot more if you change the name to not directly reference the man himself. Something original like "Mecha President", or something you came up with yourself will greatly improve this card.

Awesome! Finally an American Indian card. I think you translated its legend to a card effect very well.

thanks. i'm glad you like it.

My only concern is that there are a lot of level-5 or higher fairies that are very useful on their own. Even though this card has a very useful effect, I feel like a real player might not go with it because of the cost of taking away 3 potentially better Fairies, you know what I mean? Maybe that's just me. That said, I really like the last effect. I would totally be a dick an attack more powerful monsters with this card so my opponent keeps taking battle damage instead of me.

dang. I'll edit it a bit. not too much, but a tweek here and there

here it is:

YkiWTOt.jpg

Lore: This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned, except by Tributing four Level 4 or higher Fairy-Type monsters from your side of the field. This card cannot be destroyed or Banished. If you would take battle damage from a battle including this card, you may Banish a card from your hand, and if you do, your opponent takes damage equal to half of the damage you would have taken.

Here's my entry :3

v56ghR2.jpg

2 Level 7 Aqua Monsters.
Once per turn, you may detach all Xyz Materials on this card( Min. 2), and if you do, move this card to the Spell/Trap Zone and treat it like a Continues Trap Card. If this card is face up in the Spell and Trap Zone, once per turn, you may banish this card; Special Summon this monster from the Banished Zone the turn after you use this effect. If this card was Special Summoned this way; increase it's Attack and Defense by 500 for each WATER Monster in your Graveyard that were used as Xyz Materials.

@Syber: Yeah, I think that's a little better. Makes it a lot more versatile to summon.

@Yakimura: Awesome! Glad to see some Mayan themes. I like the whole "water cycle" effect you gave him. Feels rainy. My only problem with it is that it's very roundabout and goes through a whole bunch of different positions before finally getting a stat boost worth all the effort. I don't know how you could improve on it or change it, but it feels like kind of a slow effect for now. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

@Magemeek: Yes! I really like the edit. Definitely what I was looking for, and you executed the lore behind Arnold very well. Really cool.

@Everyone: Alright guys, the final day of the contest is coming to an end. You all have until 11:59pm to update your final cards. At midnight, I'll start judging. These are so far very good, and I can't think of any major problems with anything I've seen. This might be one of the hardest judgements I've passed on a contest, and I might change the prizes if I feel I need to reward more than just three of you. We'll see. Otherwise, you all definitely get a free-entry coupon to my next contest. Great job, all of you.

Alright guys, here are the Final Results. As usual with me, there are no number grades, just paragraphs explaining my personal feelings about your card, and the prizes you may have earned based on how much I liked it. I'll admit, this was the hardest contest I've ever judged, and you should all be proud of yourselves for making some great cards. I've decided to keep the prize limit to the top 3 cards, and as promised, you all have free entry to the next contest I make. That said, many of you entered this one for free, so I don't feel so bad not giving you points. Oh, and make sure you thank Electric Wizard for donating the lion's share of the points to this contest, for no other reason than because he is a Real American.

UnendingEmpire: "Tuscaroran Maiden". This was instantly one of my favorites in the contest. You got the whole idea down perfectly, just as I had hoped. You loaded so much lore from an American legend into this single card, I was really impressed. The cute image didn't hurt, either. For a while, I was convinced this was going to get first place, but your competitors soon matched your own genius, and I had to look more into her effect. I feel like the cost of your other monsters for her summoning and effect make her a much harder monster to use, and only by swarming other WATER monsters on the field can you get the most milage out of her. Despite how powerful her effect makes her when attacking, she's a huge risk on defense, and useless if you can't get your tribute fodder on the field. I love that she requires some tactical guile to use effectively, but her drain on your other resources, and specific WATER source of power cuts heavily into her splashability and usefulness. That said, I still really like this card, and applaud your style.

Magemeek22: "Hannibal, the Fickle Foe". This is what I love to see: great improvement from an already satisfactory card into a great entry. I was really glad to see you take the lore of Benedict Arnold and turn it into something original that still shouts out to one of America's most notorious traitors. Even without his effect, you've got a 2000 ATK 4-star, and that's just fine. With his effect, you've got a tricky, side-switching monster that can throw plenty of monkey wrenches into either player's plans. I liked that, but I felt like the effects came with too many risks. Most possibilities from its effects seem to result in giving your opponent a 2000 ATK goon to betray you with, and while I get that that was the point, executed perfectly, I felt like that makes for a dangerous card, one that most players would avoid having anywhere near their deck.

Degritone: "Gung-ho Redneck". This was a very fun card, with a very interesting effect. I loved the Ammo Counters concept, and its automatic immunity to zombies was a nice touch. I don't feel like it's underpowered at all, and actually makes for one of the more splashable beatsticks I've seen, given its quick ability to generate ATK. As a 4-star, it's still simple enough to get on the field, and there's really no risk to it. It might be too powerful, that said, but I don't really see anything wrong with it. Very well done. Winner Second Place.

Gadjiltron: "Liberty Bell". I loved that you related it so much to the classic "Ceremonial Bell". Very cool. One of the better defensive monsters I've seen in a while, its immunities and ability to shuffle away any monster you want, friend or foe, is a really interesting idea. Definitely comes with Marshmallon-levels of annoyance if used by the opponent, but I really like how you went about turning the Liberty Bell into a monster. Great job! Winner First Place.

Electric Wizard: "Franklin D. Roosevelt". I'll state again that my biggest issue with this card was deliberately using Roosevelt's name, instead of going for a more subtle reference to the president. That said, it was kind of my only problem, as this was a really cool idea for an Xyz Monster. Its normal cost seems difficult to pull off, but its secondary cost of using another Xyz Monster makes it much easier to get on the field. I loved its effects that let you farm Xyz Material to get more access to its effects, and its Token-generating and sacrificing effects were balanced well. Side note: I feel like his effects wouldn't be what FDR would have if her were a monster, you know? Maybe something more defensive or Life Point supporting? Anyway, great card, and I still love the image.

Syber_sypher: "Gici Niwaskw". Another great improvement midway through the contest. I'm glad you touched up the summoning cost a bit, and I feel like it's much more versatile than it was before. A very powerful monster, and you fit its mythology into the effect very well. Would love to see more Native American cards in the real game, you know? Its effect is simple, but brutal and very useful, even if its limited by its summoning materials a bit. Not a splashable card, but using this in a Fairy/Warrior deck would let you easily menace your opponents. Love it. Winner Third Place.

YakimuraTheWarlord: "Prime Deity of Rain: Chac". Another great Xyz Monster and a great Native American monster. Again, I commend how you turned its rain-theme into a water-cycle-like summoning and empowering effect. That was really cool. My problem with it is still how roundabout that is to summon it, and how long it can take to get him on the field. It's also the kind of card that could've easily been made as just an Effect Monster, as it doesn't make active use of its Xyz Material until it special summons itself back to the field. In which case, it's at its most powerful when it has no Materials to get rid of, while many Xyz Monsters are balanced solely by their effects only working when they have more ammo to spend on effects. You know what i mean? I don't think its overpowered, or underpowered, but the amount of time needed to get the most milage out of it and the two 7-stars you have to get rid of to start its water cycle make it seem not worth the effort. Still, I loved how you went about making the effect. It was a great idea.

God, that was really hard to judge. Again, I'm proud of all of your hard work, and I hope to see you all again in my next contest.

Archived