New Custom Cards Moderator(s)

Blake

So you're complaining that members aren't taking a stand when there's only 1 mod running the section....
Have you even read this thread or RC?
Passion and effort are bullshit when there's no driving force behind it to make it work. Without mods actually enforcing things, like the woefully under enforced Advanced clause, nothing will change.
Your post was nothing but hot air, so please either contribute more than a mock rant or don't post.

Read the first part of my post, please. I said I'd give a more detailed post. All I did was simply say what was on my mind while on my phone. And quite frankly, there is a difference between talking and acting. People talk about wanting to support change, then we see it not happening or it happening weaker than what the talk brought. I'd like to point out some of the changes you and Koko brought out like the Card of the Week and the Bi-Monthly exams. I admit they were great ideas that could have improved things, yet their impact was weaker than what I think people thought would happen. Granted, you know more about why those didn't work out. Also, people- especially you- need to stop taking shots out of others for speaking their minds. I know you've read that recent thread reponding to Toyo's rant. Whether you like it or not, the members create the atmosphere of the section. I see members here that are wanting to step up and change things. What needs to happen now is everyone coming together either on Skype or in a PM and discuss ways to get things back on track and actually get them implemented. I'm sorry if this sounds like hot air to you, but it is time to get things done and sometimes saying things like that can ignite the flame and get things rolling.

Damn, surprised I said all that on my phone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You spewed hot air that summarized what everyone else had already said, and then you tried to turn it into a self righteous crusade and paint yourself as a victim when you're called out for your shit.

Wow, maybe you should be a mod. You'd do well in politics.

Yes, people need to try, but if there's no enforcer... Nothing I enforced so the trying is moot.

Josh/Icy announced it, everyone sent votes in to him for the top 3 they thought would be good mods, he tallied the votes.

3 CC Mods seems optimal, IMO, because it means someone should almost always be able to tend to it.

Proposed the voting idea in the mod forum, it's yet to get any traction. Alternatively I also proposed a scenario in which everyone decides on 3-5 likely candidates and then we promote 2 or so people whom we all agree upon from the pool. 

I agree with you on the latter proposition, 3 seems to be optimal. 

In a perfect world, evilfusion would be more than competent at the job. However, this is not a perfect world, and we don't want to throw off the balance of having one moderator look after multiple sections.

Although, we could just promote him to head admin...

In a perfect world we'd have 12 evilfusion's and the rest of us could retire. 

I thought Yankee was helping out with CC stuff when he came back? Guess he's busy...

Don't recall ever seeing anything formally relating to what his new position would be after he was bumped down from his former Super position.

I mean, I doubt the mod team would remod me after the show pika made anyways, so I'm definitely not trying to get modship myself. If a fluke got me reelected I'd take it, but I just want better for the section.

Already proposed, same with Koko, like I said prior in that status though, I'm fairly certain it'll go either way. In the event that it doesn't happen however, just know that it's not because any of us believe you don't want what's best for the section and forum as a whole.

Sometimes change is genuinely necessary. 

I'll get a more detailed post in tomorrow when I'm on my laptop, but I'd like to say a few words. In all honesty, we cannot as members expect a single mod to handle the stress of their job on their own while we just sit idly by expecting them to magically make things better. Members should step up for the betterment of CC and YCM as a whole. Mods, while having an abundance of power and influence on the forum, cannot simply change something and have it be a success or see it last. Us members have to step up and take the initiative. Somethings we have to do ourselves in order for them to get done or at least get noticed. That involves interacting with the mods and helping come up with ideas with them that could better our overall experience here. I think that is the point that people tend to miss. We can do things without modship. It just takes passion and effort in order to see it through. I'm not saying we don't need another mod to help Zextra with CC, I'm just saying that us members need to step up as well. If we don't, then we shouldn't expect things to change and we'll all continue to moan and complain about the poor quality of YCM as a whole. And that is my rant for this evening.

Regardless of how you perceive him, I genuinely believe that this sums up perfectly what being a "good member" means. Not waiting for others to make changes but instead making those changes yourself. What's the difference between a moderator and a member? We can sticky shit. Essentially, we're all just members regardless, and most of us just want to make being here enjoyable for ourselves and everyone else. 

So you're complaining that members aren't taking a stand when there's only 1 mod running the section....

Have you even read this thread or RC?

Passion and effort are bullshit when there's no driving force behind it to make it work. Without mods actually enforcing things, like the woefully under enforced Advanced clause, nothing will change.

Your post was nothing but hot air, so please either contribute more than a mock rant or don't post.

Have you seen Showcase '08 - '12? 

What moderation? Shadius sitting around mocking people, and Hioco logging on once a year?  We only had a single mod then too, it was just Yin and all we required of her was the occasional lock and pin.

What's considered the best time in Showcase was also a time when we had no leadership in the form of staff. How did we do it? We stepped up, changed shit by communicating with one another, finding out what worked and what didn't. If someone didn't like something we solved it without the need to quarrel. We acted as a community. 

And before you say "well, Showcase is a completely different section." You're correct, but that's because we decided a long time ago, to again, act as a fucking community. 

I do agree that it's easier when there is a definite leader to act as the enforcer but it's also very easy to rely on that. 

Read the first part of my post, please. I said I'd give a more detailed post. All I did was simply say what was on my mind while on my phone. And quite frankly, there is a difference between talking and acting. People talk about wanting to support change, then we see it not happening or it happening weaker than what the talk brought. I'd like to point out some of the changes you and Koko brought out like the Card of the Week and the Bi-Monthly exams. I admit they were great ideas that could have improved things, yet their impact was weaker than what I think people thought would happen. Granted, you know more about why those didn't work out. Also, people- especially you- need to stop taking shots out of others for speaking their minds. I know you've read that recent thread reponding to Toyo's rant. Whether you like it or not, the members create the atmosphere of the section. I see members here that are wanting to step up and change things. What needs to happen now is everyone coming together either on Skype or in a PM and discuss ways to get things back on track and actually get them implemented. I'm sorry if this sounds like hot air to you, but it is time to get things done and sometimes saying things like that can ignite the flame and get things rolling.

Like I said prior, I agree with you and unlike many others I genuinely believe you're not just speaking out of your ass, but the entire time I was waiting for the part when you'd finally grow a pair and just bluntly say that you want the position. 

I legitimately don't understand why there's such a negative stigma in proposing yourself for a position. We all know you fucking want it, make it official. If you apparently need my permission, you've got it.

If someone can exclaim they want to be the President without getting shit for it, then I'm pretty sure you should be able to safely say you want to moderate something as trivial as a fucking yugioh forum. 

That goes for anyone else as well, if you want the position, make it apparent, as long as you genuinely want it for the right reasons, then there's no shame in going for what you desire. 

I feel so loved.

In a perfect world we'd have 12 evilfusion's and the rest of us could retire.

I think I'm going to sig this in an extremely rare show of egotism.

In any case, TCG and CC are entirely different types of sections. TCG is actually easier to moderate than it used to be, since most trolls and such are gone, whereas CC will probably always be filled with subpar designs made by stubborn people in a forest of topics that are hiding the rare gems built by geniuses. While I don't doubt I'd be qualified to mod the section, I'm not interested in the section. Custom cards don't appeal to me personally, so I wouldn't go in there unless directed to. Or if I see "Galaxy-Eyes" slipped into a topic title. But only if it's in Recent Topics, because I have the entire CC section minimized.

I'm glad Night said that, because my pair and I have decided that we would actually quite like to be a CC mod. I have good enough knowledge of the TCG and every time I go into the RC section I review/create cards based on their impact on the TCG metagame. That is what needs to happen more in the RC section. The only reason I don't go in there that often is, really, because it is full of crap. People have posted most of what CCers need in order to make the section decent enough with regards to rules and guides, but it isn't really being enforced properly. Most of the cards posted in RC aren't actually realistic at all, and reviews of cards are extremely lacklustre.

I have a couple of my own ideas as to how the section could be improved, and I certainly have time to implement them and to be active in general. I probably wasn't the first person to come to mind when thinking of new CC mods, but I am putting myself out there anyway.

As I mentioned in the Status Bar earlier, I am still learning a lot about the game itself but in terms of keeping the section under control, I can manage that. Past experiences or no, I did a pretty good job keeping CC under control and also revolutionized Pop Culture :P

Not bragging here of course and you are welcome to ignore me but the offer is always there if needed.

As Night as given us his Blessing. Yeah, I have previous Mod Experience and would be more then happy to Mod CC again. I won't rule with a Iron Fist but I will be damn sure to talk things over with the other mods to whip the section into shape again.

As Night as given us his Blessing. Yeah, I have previous Mod Experience and would be more then happy to Mod CC again. I won't rule with a Iron Fist but I will be damn sure to talk things over with the other mods to whip the section into shape again.

No offence, but I'm pretty sure the mod team will not make a moderator out of any of the previously permabanned members because that just feels as if it's going to be asking for trouble.

Personally I would love to just see Masao take up the job, but I highly doubt that he would ever actually want to do it.

Now that I think of it, indeed you members can do just as much as any mod, so I have a different idea I think would be ideal for choosing the guy with permanent responsibility. In a bit, I'll go post an RC Improvement thread where you all pitch in your ideas (I have a few of my own), and we'll all work to make those ideas work. This'll be a test of your abilities to get things done and see how helpful you actually are. For now, for this project, I'll take the helm if a leader/moderator should become necessary.

As Night has given his blessing for self-nomination and after an hour or so to think about it, I've decided that I'm ready to step up to the challenge of keeping the CC section in line.

I'm usually around the CC section daily since coming back in late September 2013, so I have a good idea of what goes on in there. I didn't say this in Toyo's rant thread, but lately the quality of posts has gone down; especially with newer members posting stuff that really shouldn't be in RC (including posts that only offer OCG fixes and nothing to the card's playability and so on). The card I gave CnC to in RC was some variant of Blue-Eyes that was blatantly OPed. What's more though, some of the members in there only said "follow (member)'s fixes" and didn't bother to mention any of their own thoughts on the card, essentially breaking the Advanced Clause.

As such, I have a couple ideas about how to get RC to work better [and to some extent, the other parts that compose the Custom Cards section in its entirety]. One thing would be to definitely enforce the Advanced Clause in the section, so cardmakers get less comments say "oh this effect is too long, shorten it" or simply OCG fixes whose quality is subpar and start receiving criticism that actually proves to be useful. That could be done by making those notes Toyo and other members wrote more apparent (since I'm sure some members don't even read them). I'll go post some of my suggestions in that thread of yours, Aix.

In terms of actual experience of keeping a forum in order, I moderate another site that I access concurrently with this one (not mentioning the name because it's advertising, but it's a bit smaller than this one in terms of members/activity level) in addition to its IRC channel. As of now, there haven't been any problems with how I manage stuff over there: Make sure threads don't get necrobumped/lock them if needed, handle spambots on a regular basis, make sure rules are obeyed, keep any/all flame and troll wars to an absolute minimum, etc.

EDIT (Pointed out by Black):

This would fit more of a general mod app, but since this is a CC one, I didn't add something related to how I'd promote design. I will do that now [didn't do it originally because of time when I wrote this].

If by a stroke of luck I become another CC mod to assist Zextra, I would encourage members to make better quality cards that people aren't going to throw up over. Now, I'm not saying that everything should be at the level you can throw it into the competitive state (since some of us don't play tournaments or know what the hell goes on in meta), but they should be decent enough that they can function well on their own, but don't implicitly promote overpowered strategies [much like what Toyo has mentioned in that thread]. While it's fine if a card can be balanced on its own, it doesn't help if it fuels other cards to do nasty things, so also in a way, try to steer people away from making stuff that's been overdone or overpowered in the game (i.e. Number 16, Rulers, Fire Fists or whatever is dominant at the time).

I'll be frank about this part: I haven't played a competitive duel in my life (either in real life or on online stuff, such as the DN tourneys that occasionally show up here) due to personal/time constraints, so my knowledge/understanding of the meta is lacking compared to those in TCG and by extension, members in the CC section. However, I know some things about meta and things that certain Archetypes have plenty of and what they could use. I've had my share of giving some Decks more tools to play with than they deserve; so I suppose those experiences helped me realize what kind of stuff should be made in RC and what's better off in the AoC section. Essentially, promote creating cards that can work well in the game, but not recycling overused/broken concepts and of course, making sure they're coherent enough to survive the standards of RC. 

Needless to say, don't think anyone is suited for moderatorship sans someone who knows what their talking about.

I'm pretty damn sure a damn harsh moderator is needed.

Someone who'd not be even slightly forgiving to breaching the Advanced Clause.

We have the good cop in Zextra. Where's bad cop?

Needless to say, don't think anyone is suited for moderatorship sans someone who knows what their talking about.

Armz.

He deserves it and you can expect him to uphold rigid policies very...rigidly.

We don/t want a "Bad Cop" as they would more then likely be a complete Ass and be a terrible mod. We need Mods with compassion and the ability to put their foot down when required without looking like a Tyrant.

We don/t want a "Bad Cop" as they would more then likely be a complete Ass and be a terrible mod. We need Mods with compassion and the ability to put their foot down when required without looking like a Tyrant.

I'm calling bull, specifically because Koko and Black's good cop, bad cop had RC in a much better state than it currently is.

I'm calling bull, specifically because Koko and Black's good cop, bad cop had RC in a much better state than it currently is.

So you mean one really nice Mod and a Mod with a stick up their ass that likes to put down everything a member does? (Not saying Koko and Black are this but my Analogy of the situation mentions it). No... We need 2 Mods with equal understanding of each other and the Members of their section to be a good fit for the Forum. We don't need Miss Sugar Coated and Mister Demon Overlord thank you lol.

Nothing against you Kyng as you are all right as a member but I just feel that my way would be more beneficial to the Forum.

So you mean one really nice Mod and a Mod with a stick up their ass that likes to put down everything a member does? (Not saying Koko and Black are this but my Analogy of the situation mentions it). No... We need 2 Mods with equal understanding of each other and the Members of their section to be a good fit for the Forum. We don't need Miss Sugar Coated and Mister Demon Overlord thank you lol.

A better analogy'd be a strict teacher who's going to make you into a damn good card maker because of their discipline, and a nice teacher who'd make you into a damn good card maker because of their approachability.

No, we almost definitely need a bad cop to Zextra's good cop at the moment. Black did a great job at keeping people in line with his bad cop attitude honestly, as the section was probably at one of it's best points during the time we were moderators. This isn't to say the bad cop act will be a permanent arrangement, but we definitely need somebody strict and "unforgiving" to keep the section in line right now.

I agree with the good cop bad cop. For the intents of RC, we need it because we need the bad cop in order to bring up those standards and the good cop to do damage control and keep people from getting too upset.

Have you seen Showcase '08 - '12? 

What moderation? Shadius sitting around mocking people, and Hioco logging on once a year?  We only had a single mod then too, it was just Yin and all we required of her was the occasional lock and pin.

What's considered the best time in Showcase was also a time when we had no leadership in the form of staff. How did we do it? We stepped up, changed s*** by communicating with one another, finding out what worked and what didn't. If someone didn't like something we solved it without the need to quarrel. We acted as a community. 

And before you say "well, Showcase is a completely different section." You're correct, but that's because we decided a long time ago, to again, act as a f***ing community. 

I do agree that it's easier when there is a definite leader to act as the enforcer but it's also very easy to rely on that.

Point was more that a mod of the section should have knowledge as to wtf they're doing. In addition, it's really, really hard to make a community out of RC when most people come and go and those who stay refuse to improve. Not impossible, but it needs an iron fist to push it forward. 

Like I said prior, I agree with you and unlike many others I genuinely believe you're not just speaking out of your ass, but the entire time I was waiting for the part when you'd finally grow a pair and just bluntly say that you want the position. 

I legitimately don't understand why there's such a negative stigma in proposing yourself for a position. We all know you f***ing want it, make it official. If you apparently need my permission, you've got it.

If someone can exclaim they want to be the President without getting s*** for it, then I'm pretty sure you should be able to safely say you want to moderate something as trivial as a f***ing yugioh forum. 

That goes for anyone else as well, if you want the position, make it apparent, as long as you genuinely want it for the right reasons, then there's no shame in going for what you desire.

My only problem is that striker basically summed up everything then wrapped it in a shiny new bow, which he basically admitted he did to me, albeit not on purpose.

I'm glad Night said that, because my pair and I have decided that we would actually quite like to be a CC mod. I have good enough knowledge of the TCG and every time I go into the RC section I review/create cards based on their impact on the TCG metagame. That is what needs to happen more in the RC section. The only reason I don't go in there that often is, really, because it is full of crap. People have posted most of what CCers need in order to make the section decent enough with regards to rules and guides, but it isn't really being enforced properly. Most of the cards posted in RC aren't actually realistic at all, and reviews of cards are extremely lacklustre.
I have a couple of my own ideas as to how the section could be improved, and I certainly have time to implement them and to be active in general. I probably wasn't the first person to come to mind when thinking of new CC mods, but I am putting myself out there anyway.

Still says nothing about Card DESIGN, which is important to a moderator. This seems like an app for a manager, but not a CEO, so to speak. You need to come in and be a good example of designing cards, not just how they impact the game. There are many people who could take the job based on impact in the TCG, but cards like Inferno Reckless Summon, Gale Dogra, Gate Guardian, etc. exist and are in no way well designed, whether because they're unfair when they go off, have degenerate combos, or just plain suck beyond words.

Personally I would love to just see Masao take up the job, but I highly doubt that he would ever actually want to do it.

This but won't happen =[

Now that I think of it, indeed you members can do just as much as any mod, so I have a different idea I think would be ideal for choosing the guy with permanent responsibility. In a bit, I'll go post an RC Improvement thread where you all pitch in your ideas (I have a few of my own), and we'll all work to make those ideas work. This'll be a test of your abilities to get things done and see how helpful you actually are. For now, for this project, I'll take the helm if a leader/moderator should become necessary.

RC Improvement threads never worked. They're a nice idea, but they always turn into bickering about whether the section should stay "realistic" or not and get nowhere.

As Night has given his blessing for self-nomination and after an hour or so to think about it, I've decided that I'm ready to step up to the challenge of keeping the CC section in line.

I'm usually around the CC section daily since coming back in late September 2013, so I have a good idea of what goes on in there. I didn't say this in Toyo's rant thread, but lately the quality of posts has gone down; especially with newer members posting stuff that really shouldn't be in RC (including posts that only offer OCG fixes and nothing to the card's playability and so on). The card I gave CnC to in RC was some variant of Blue-Eyes that was blatantly OPed. What's more though, some of the members in there only said "follow (member)'s fixes" and didn't bother to mention any of their own thoughts on the card, essentially breaking the Advanced Clause.

As such, I have a couple ideas about how to get RC to work better [and to some extent, the other parts that compose the Custom Cards section in its entirety]. One thing would be to definitely enforce the Advanced Clause in the section, so cardmakers get less comments say "oh this effect is too long, shorten it" or simply OCG fixes whose quality is subpar and start receiving criticism that actually proves to be useful. That could be done by making those notes Toyo and other members wrote more apparent (since I'm sure some members don't even read them). I'll go post some of my suggestions in that thread of yours, Aix.

In terms of actual experience of keeping a forum in order, I moderate another site that I access concurrently with this one (not mentioning the name because it's advertising, but it's a bit smaller than this one in terms of members/activity level) in addition to its IRC channel. As of now, there haven't been any problems with how I manage stuff over there: Make sure threads don't get necrobumped/lock them if needed, handle spambots on a regular basis, make sure rules are obeyed, keep any/all flame and troll wars to an absolute minimum, etc.

Again, it's not just keeping the forum in order. You need to have a true grasp of card design, be it in terms of elegance, quality, or flavor. All of the above, really. Nothing in this post uses that as a platform, only that you'd be a good janitor. I'm not saying "no", but offer something of substance, because this IS just a janitor application.

No, we almost definitely need a bad cop to Zextra's good cop at the moment. Black did a great job at keeping people in line with his bad cop attitude honestly, as the section was probably at one of it's best points during the time we were moderators. This isn't to say the bad cop act will be a permanent arrangement, but we definitely need somebody strict and "unforgiving" to keep the section in line right now.

I agree with the good cop bad cop. For the intents of RC, we need it because we need the bad cop in order to bring up those standards and the good cop to do damage control and keep people from getting too upset.

FMT_Will_Powers_Nervous_1.gif

But yeah, give a reason in terms of card design you should be elected. Your metagame knowledge and modding experience don't mean a lot when you can't even police design properly.

I legitimately don't understand why there's such a negative stigma in proposing yourself for a position. We all know you f***ing want it, make it official. If you apparently need my permission, you've got it.

If someone can exclaim they want to be the President without getting s*** for it, then I'm pretty sure you should be able to safely say you want to moderate something as trivial as a f***ing yugioh forum.

Alright, I guess it's time for me to finally say it. I do want to become moderator of CC. Two main reasons I haven't came out bluntly was the stigma that others held of the thought of me becoming mod and the fact that I was thinking of why I wanted the job in the first place. I mean, I had to think about what it means to be a mod in general and the difference between a mod and a member. As you pointed out Night, there is little difference between a mod and a member. Any mod and prospective mod should understand that. Also, Custom Cards really needs to start acting like a community. Toyo's rant tells me we have a long way to go if we can't talk thinks out over PM before resorting to rants. And on the topic of good cop and bad cop in terms of mods, a bad cop is a terrible idea. I mean, I'm not comfortable with the potential for said mod to blow up while being harsh in enforcement. We've seen that happen before, and I don't want to see it again. Not saying we don't need an enforcer, but it can't be one that'd be overly harsh. We are trying to build a community after all, and we shouldn't try shunning others with our anger.

Well, I nominate Aqua-Hina, I think she'll do well, also she is always active and she has enough experience considering cards' design...

But seriously, In spite of the efforts being made by Aix and Toyo☆ and other mod, RC section still falling apart O.O ...

I've never liked when people suggested a "harsh" mod. There have been examples of harsh mods, and many of them went too far to the point of being a-holes. Crab and Pika both had eras where everything they said or did was borderline nasty, rather than just firm and unyielding. (Granted, Crab wasn't really trying to be anything else).

Having a "good" mod and "bad" mod doesn't really work with section moderation. With good cop/bad cop, the bad cop is being intimidating and hostile to pressure the suspect into confessing quickly. The good cop is there to be a foil, coaxing the suspect into giving up the information freely, for leniency or support, especially from the bad cop. That can't work with mods. The dynamic doesn't exist unless they're a partnership for a common goal.

Things I consider important for moderators is knowledge of the section they're watching, and a good attitude. They don't pick fights with members, and they know how to explain their reasoning. A harsh mod is more likely to just outright insult the other person, which makes them unapproachable and sparks a defensive reaction that counteracts the intent of improving them.

Firmness, but not unpleasantness.

Well, I nominate Aqua-Hina, I think she'll do well, also she is always active and she has enough experience considering cards' design...
But seriously, In spite of the efforts being made by Aix and Toyo☆ and other mod, RC section still falling apart O.O ...

Terrible choice, given the amount of terribly designed cards Aqua Hina pumps out.

Terrible choice, given the amount of terribly designed cards Aqua Hina pumps out.

Excuse me O.O .. are we still talking about aqua-hina ?? cause as I see, she had that taste of "a good card designer", and I think that everyone in RC will agree, and to improve it, check out the contests section.. but anyway, each one of us has his own points of view :D ...

Still says nothing about Card DESIGN, which is important to a moderator. This seems like an app for a manager, but not a CEO, so to speak. You need to come in and be a good example of designing cards, not just how they impact the game. There are many people who could take the job based on impact in the TCG, but cards like Inferno Reckless Summon, Gale Dogra, Gate Guardian, etc. exist and are in no way well designed, whether because they're unfair when they go off, have degenerate combos, or just plain suck beyond words.

I'm pretty sure I know enough about card design. Of course there are cases where cards are really badly designed but still have no impact on the game, and they should be avoided too. I'm obviously not going to base my idea of what a good card is just on its impact on the metagame. Things like mass summoning and ridiculously powerful cards with ridiculous drawbacks are something to avoid. Something like Horakhty (while being rather a caricature of an example) is the kind of thing I really don't like. Even Rekindling and Return from the Different Dimension are good examples of terrible design that still didn't have much impact on the game for quite a while. I pointed out the whole "impact on the real game" thing because its something that is extremely overlooked in the RC section and it does need to be improved in that way, that's all.

Archived