RC Improvement Discussion Thread

Aix

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tutoring thread seems to have gone out of style at this point, so it shall be unstickied as such. Since AoC got its post count re-enabled, we can move the Duel Portal thread back over there + posts will still count towards your overall stuff. The rest of them: this thread, Aix's thread, Toyo's guide and the OCG writing guide can remain.

We do have a rules announcement that Black wrote to consolidate everything (that was his idea; it's only been updated by us to more/less reflect the changes made since last month). Though since a lot of newbies aren't reading them [even with the reminder at the top of the forum], might as well write separate rules for each section. It'll take up more thread space, yes, but it keeps things easy to read + specific to their sections. We don't want to be issuing warns to newbies for not obeying the rules

Threads are being moved because: 1. Usage of Fake/Custom Types/Subtypes, 2. Blatantly overpowered (see latest thread Striker moved; promotes more drawing for Spellbooks), 3. Wrong section (either members posted Written Cards in here, Pop Culture is in here and so on). Unless you're referring to the cleanup in AoC in getting Joke Cards their own forum to spam in, because we did move about 40-50 pages worth of stuff [whatever could be moved]; so yes, it is a lot of threads. As mentioned earlier, AoC should be for new concepts that are done properly; not contain trollfaces or other nonsense.

Otherwise, we don't move too many threads around. Contests just get moved to the finished area when they're done, so it keeps the active section clean.

The problem is "blatant overpower" since firstly that is almost always arguable, and more importantly something to be fixed rather than just moved. If someone posts a card to RC instead of AoC they want it to be realistic. Help them fix it or give them a chance to argue its balance instead of moving it. Cards aren't posted as finished products. 

Drawing once per turn is no longer unrealistic, and if it were changed to once which this card is on the field it would become balanced while maintaining the original concept.  If it had to be normal summoned for its effect to work it might be balanced, if it had to be flipped faceup it definitely would be balanced (both of these with the OPT clause).  That card was the opposite of unfixable AND the OP clearly wanted to fix it since he had already started changing it.  

I didn't see what the original effect was, but on further review of the card, the OPT clause should keep it from going out of control. Now if it were drawing everytime you activate a card, then it remains in there.

Given that fix, I moved it back in here.

As for other cards that got moved to AoC; they got moved because they introduce new concepts not present in the game (i.e. the Gemini Synchros in another thread I CnCed this morning or a Fake Type). If your card is realistic enough to post in here, you should do it but there's no rule preventing you from doing it in AoC; both sections are held to the same standards, just that one section allows Fake Types and all that stuff and the other one requires you stay within the realm of things Konami made.

As for your rule comment Goose, it is being discussed over PM with the other CC mods.

As a newbie myself, I think one of the biggest problems is the lack of members and activity themselves: few people become engaged in the community, and few people review. For example, scrolling through RC, someone sees a badly designed card with lackluster effects and mispellings, and, instead of taking the time to fix it, he/she just moves on, thinking, "Oh, this isn't worth my time."

I don't mean to deliberately pander to people with low attention spans (like me), but I think a good way to combat this would be to implement a more intuitive comment system, a la Reddit or a better version of Youtube. Someone comments, and you can reply to that comment, creating an independent "comment chain" that encourages discussion amongst a particular sub-topic or whatever. You could even "like" the original comment to bump it up.

Of course, this does imply a fundamental shift to the site itself, and wouldn't work very well outside of card reviews and such, so I'm open to other ideas.

Now on the OTHER hand, a casual reviewer could come across a great card, with a few minor errors. However, the topic already has a few comments and reviewer nods, thinking "Oh, someone else already knows what he's talking about. I'll leave it to him then," instead of contributing their own thoughts.

So, while we want substantive reviews and remarkable insight, we should also allow some form of leniency, at least to promote discussion from people too busy/lazy to say a lot in a single post. Taking a less "this is serious business" approach and trying to encourage discussion as well as complete critques will draw some great activity, I think. Of course, this is coming from a noob and a (before joining) lurker, so I'd be cool to hear a vet's opinions on this. Thoughts? :D

We are trying to get this section to be a bit more open with how cards are being graded.

There are some members here who feel that pushing cards to be competitive-level standard will make this section better; it will not. The quality will rise, yes, but what happens to the section in general? It essentially becomes "You must play competitively in order to post here" and that's not the point of the section.

I suppose you can blame the standards here on a majority of members here playing competitively. We do have the occasional members that really chew out cards with bad design; their opinions do have merit to an extent, as they've seen their share of stuff in the tournaments and in recent things. It's fine to point out any possible combinations that push existing stuff into the overpowering/broken range, but do so in a calm manner and refrain from using profanity. (There will be some really bad cards, yes, but that doesn't allow you to lash at the member). Keep in mind that not everyone pays attention to new stuff or whatever goes on in the tournament state.

Granted though, you do need to consider other cards when creating/critiquing them, so some degree of knowledge of existing stuff is needed. Keeping up with current things in TCG or Wikia would be in your best interest.

As for adding to the existing conversation, you could just agree with what others are saying, and elaborate on why YOU think that helps the card become better. You should offer your own suggestions; they may not be the best thing for the card, but at least you gave it a shot.

You are not expected to give a review linking the card to the metagame, but just give some degree of comments that shows your thought about the card + how it can be changed.

Ideas to get this place more active have been pitched earlier on in the thread, and are being discussed over PM; not only here but for the entirety of CC. While we do stress making cards that are properly designed, we don't want CC to be a section where only veteran members post their creations, and casual/newer members are left out.

Ah, I completely agree with the spirit and goal of making YCM more awesome! Your points are both valid and poignant, and I think help if everyone read 'em XD

I think a lot of these ideas are good ones: the Hall of Fame gives cool peps a day in the limelight on top of being an educayional resource for members like me, and the bootcamp/buddy system could be startlingly effective, if we could garner enough interest from more people.

Well, I think the best way to change things is to DO things, so I'll try to set a good example and/or be more active in the communes. Interesting, very interesting, in any case. I'll try to come up with some more ideas later.

Okay, so there actually hasn't been anything done in order to try to educate the newbies.

"If there is hope, it lies in the newcomers." ~ Konami Smith

I've been thinking that if we could get them to actually talk real-time, that would be good. To hit two birds with one stone (although both birds are two means to the same end), I'd say getting a program of experienced members challenging them to DN Duels, where there is live chat, and you can also get them to become better players which would in turn make them understand balance a little better (while design can be spoken about in the chat).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but what if we had a "YCM Card Catalog." It would be similar to the Hall of Fame idea, but here's where Im going with this:

Say once a month, a mod/group of mods decide on a top 10 list from RC Singles and maybe a set or archetype or some portion/combination thereof from RC Multi-Cards, and add them to a Gallery on the main forum page or pinned into each respective RC Section. It would be like an ongoing contest of sorts and at the same time, would show newer members what goes into a good card, and serve as inspiration for anyyone looking for fresh ideas, And since cards would have to be chosen/voted in by a mod(s), there wouldnt be such a risk of people flooding an area with spam or inferior cards.

I've also heard that cards can be coded for ygpro. I think a lot of people would love the idea of playing a duel with cards they've made on here.

• 2 months later...

I read the first few posts and kinda got bored.... anyways... I would like to say, I have posted several treads (six to be exact) on RC with swarms of cards.  I only got CnC on 1 forum (oh, and 1 card on a second forum), with the CnC being on only a fraction of all the cards.  So... personally, I'm not seeing this crazy, tear apart the minnows stuff.

The above is true prior posting.

Just keep in mind that a lot of people don't like grading sets, especially particularly large ones.

To make things easier on members, we allow you all to give CnC on 1-2 cards in the set initially; then cover the rest at a later time as you see fit.

Or simply summarize the set's function as a whole in 3-5 sentences; should it be quite large.

There's also the case of Written Cards; I'd like to reiterate the fact that there is absolutely NO shame in posting a Written Card. I really don't know why there's a negative stigma here about posting/commenting in those sections.

I know you all would like to have your cards neat and organized with a picture, but sometimes suitable pics can be difficult to find. If you find a picture that fits later, you can always edit the thread + let one of us know so we can move it.

Just keep in mind that a lot of people don't like grading sets, especially particularly large ones.

To make things easier on members, we allow you all to give CnC on 1-2 cards in the set initially; then cover the rest at a later time as you see fit.

Or simply summarize the set's function as a whole in 3-5 sentences; should it be quite large.

There's also the case of Written Cards; I'd like to reiterate the fact that there is absolutely NO shame in posting a Written Card. I really don't know why there's a negative stigma here about posting/commenting in those sections.

I know you all would like to have your cards neat and organized with a picture, but sometimes suitable pics can be difficult to find. If you find a picture that fits later, you can always edit the thread + let one of us know so we can move it.

I agree wholeheartedly.  As a newer designer, it is very thrilling to get feedback, even if it's 1-2 of a set.

We are trying to determine a way to encourage more people to CnC, but so far nothing's really worked.

Then a lot of members, including you and some others, would be getting replies + not resorting to the bumps as often.

And just for the record guys, following the Advanced Clause is not hard.

Just mention something related to the card's design/flavor/flaws, etc within 1-2 sentences and you're fine.

You all are capable of writing that much, right?

Archived