Rai Talks Music. Go Post Songs.

.Rai

[spoiler=Best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pma7osBMedg

[/spoiler]

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3u22OYqFGo[/media]

I love this song to the moon and back!

Oh, also some music!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZD5CC8wn4[/media]

Probably one of my recent favourite videogame themesò

http://youtu.be/iB7DEnfJUbc
The outro to A$AP Rocky's most recent track, At.Long.Last.A$AP. Personally, this track has a much more different style when compared to some of his past tracks, which were a bit more mainstream in my opinion, as this particular one pays homage to A$AP Yams, who had passed away in January of this year.

[spoiler=Wednesday>Saturday]

[spoiler=Best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pma7osBMedg

Well, that was very 90s. Relatively repetitive, hilariously cheesy, the guitar solo was actually quite good and surprisingly restrained for the context of this song. Very standard fast rock fare. Chromatic bassline is quite fun though.

Do me, do me!

The opening guitar riffs in this are hugely fun. They have a vague Eastern flavour, since they remind me a lot of either sitar playing, or zither-esque stuff. Very well done emo song, with an incredibly fresh, surprisingly unsappy production style, which I do applaud. The touches of strings in the texture, and synth keyboard are great. Arcade Fire or Coldplay-sized stadium sound actually. The transition about 2 minutes in is very well handled. It plays into a lot of expectations of big anthems, and does it incredibly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6IPtRIDzoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4CjB-7IT4o

Just my two favorite songs from one of my favorite game OSTs ever ^w^

I'm a big fan of Child of Light's OST. I'm already aware of coeur de pirate's pop music work, so it was really cool to see her work on a game like this. The OST gains a lot from moving away from traditional orchestral flourishes and emphasising piano and acoustic guitar (as you'd expect from a non-traditional composer like coeur de pirate). It's not a hugely groundbreaking soundtrack, but it suits the game perfectly, and gains a lot from just having a main theme that's incredibly memorable that works incredibly well throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQBnlWAMq_Q

All hail the Doof Warrior.

Drums, drums, drums, drums. While I do imagine that the entire soundtrack is basically drums this heavy, hearing one track is actually okay. It's basically Hans Zimmer's incessant percussion thing turned up to 11. Fairly generic, but it definitely doesn't skimp on the drums, and also features them at a much faster tempo and pace than you'd usually expect. The quickly panned electronic flourishes make the cue a bit more interesting, as well as that squelchy bass. Fun tension centrepiece. Obviously, not much in the way of melody, especially since it's basically based on one chord the entire way through, but that was to be expected. God knows why this is a seven minute cue though, but I'd probably have to watch the film to know.

I looked though a lot of pages but not everything so sorry if I ever post stuff that's already been talked about.

That first main theme reminds me a lot of that Lana del Rey track from the Great Gatsby soundtrack if only because of almost identical instrumentation and a very similar verse melody. Basically standard JRPG-esque fare, by virtue of a sweeping melody done by a strings section, and lush, film score orchestration. The last half-minute is quite lovely though. The harmony introduced by the second violin is slightly off-kilter (I'm guessing it's being harmonised pentatonically), as well as the harp flourishes.

Always thought the Mario franchise had great music, and Mario Kart usually comes out very well. Mario Kart has absolutely no fears on being cheesy as hell, so there's something incredibly satisfying by combining the two cheesiest things known in the music universe: 80s guitar solos, and Kenny G-flavoured saxophone. The back-and-forth dialogue between the two instruments is fun, but the best bit of the track in my opinion is more subtle: it's the phrase at 0:53 that has those mad descending sequences, and the step up into a harmony that's genuinely incredibly interesting compared to the rest of the track, since it clashes directly with what the funk organ's doing.

It's never occurred to me how much intricate guitar solos sound like music fit for Baroque harpsichord, but it does. The drumming's very clean, very understated, to make space for Slash to do some fancy ass guitar work. It does often sound quite raga-like in execution, which is never a bad thing. The acoustic intro is quite fun too, and showcases the long chord progression that the rest of the track uses in much quicker time.

[spoiler=At the time of posting, there is a Dirty Harry marathon on]

Bass is intensely fun. Horns are so long that they do threaten to go out of time, but manage to keep up quite flawlessly, which is a nice change from the bullet-crisp horn blasts you get so much of the time. You do get the latter in this track, but it's the former that are really interesting. All that record scratching. It's so sillllyyyyy.

This is the best version of Twister.

That flow is identical to the Pokérap. Just saying. I could take or leave the rap, bit cheesy, but the production does suit it. There's interesting horn blasts and a vague breakbeat feel to it from a lot of UK dance genres, and then some calmer sections with retro synth keyboard interspersed. It's pretty interesting. I like the detail of those industrial synth beeps every so often. They liven up the production a fair bit. The last 30 seconds are also a really great shift of gear, with the introduction of new instrumentation and that Middle Eastern riff.

Oh, also some music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZD5CC8wn4

Probably one of my recent favourite videogame themesò

Fairly standard anime-style theatrical pop song. Production's a little bit inert, but the main melody's incredibly catchy, and I really like the simplistic, but still interesting chromatically descending chord progression that you hear in the guitar parts. And marimba solo. 

http://youtu.be/iB7DEnfJUbc

The outro to A$AP Rocky's most recent track, At.Long.Last.A$AP. Personally, this track has a much more different style when compared to some of his past tracks, which were a bit more mainstream in my opinion, as this particular one pays homage to A$AP Yams, who had passed away in January of this year.

THE VIDEOS DEAD

Since I don't unfortunately know what the track you posted was, I'll talk a bit about A.L.L.A in general then. I think it's a pretty great album. I marginally prefer Long. Live. A$AP just because it felt a bit more bombastic, especially with him just coming onto the scene, but A.L.L.A is probably a more cohesive work? More complete anyway. The singles like LPFJ2 are incredibly good too. The Miguel/Mark Ronson/Rod Stewart track, Everyday stands out for me: the various stylistic shifts throughout the track are unapologetically and entirely unprepared. And poor Yams. It's pretty easy to see how important A$AP Yams was to Rocky.

Definitely not bad, although I feel like the melody sounds slightly off. Nothing major, but it resolves in a weirdly artificial way (although obviously still catchy as hell). I like the production though. Very solid synthpoppy, chiptune-inspired stuff à la Madeon or Owl City, with that soul/R&B-pop twist that everyone's starting to experiment with (Owl City bringing in Aloe Blacc, Madeon experimenting on You're On). Drums start to get immaculately detailed at the 3:15 mark. Great production on that synth that just takes you from nowhere at 3:40. Absolutely gorgeous sounding synths from there onwards. Lovely little song. Probably could see changing up the chords, and the end of the melody, but nothing to detract from its charm. Also, it's really refreshing to see such a joyfully choreographed music video.

I do vaguely remember this song. Classic pop rock stuff. It does bare an uncanny resemblance to Kylie Minogue's material sort of a few years after this, although most late 90s stuff sounded similar to this. Fairly repetitive, but the verses and chorus has a certain elegance to them that a lot of modern songs don't really capture in the same way that so many 90s artists did. Production's also very understated, as you'd expect, but very well executed.

[spoiler=This]

[spoiler=And this]

Basically nothing happens in that first track, but it's great mood music. It's very tricky to find music that sounds good looped like that without getting horrendously grating on the ears. This stays within dealable levels. The offset of the second bar really surprises me though. Starts off too early, but pauses to let it carry on to where you expect it to be later. Nice trick to make it less obvious where the loop is.

Second track is quite fun. Drum kit sounds very organic, almost like cowbell or woodblock at times, which is surprising. Very typical of this style, but the verses and choruses are great. Melodramatic, well done harmony, and a nice, flowing chord progression. Never get tired of these guitar solos either. They're super fun.

f8231071a30b6aa15b56a43b237b2021.pngSTO

STOP PLAYING WITH OUR EMOTIONS YOU HEARTLESS CANINE D:

And I guess I'll leave you this.  Have never played Crypt of the Necrodancer but have wanted to (but really just found this cuz Jonathan Young)

Wednesday's Saturday, right? :P

Not played Crypt of the Necrodancer, but it's a really interesting concept for a game having seen gameplay, and the soundtrack's probably vital to the perception of the game. The hard rock, melodramatic metal thing I can take or leave, but the song's very well done. Weirdly suits the aesthetic of Crypt of the Necrodancer very well. Old school camp, RPG fantasy stuff goes hand-in-hand with this style of music in many scenarios. Really cool interpretation of the Necrodancer soundtrack. Some very cool nifty guitar work too.

"Well, that was very 90s. Relatively repetitive, hilariously cheesy, the guitar solo was actually quite good and surprisingly restrained for the context of this song. Very standard fast rock fare. Chromatic bassline is quite fun though."

You should hear it when used in-show. It really serves its purpose as an action song.

Since i've recently been obsessed with the album Lungs by Florence + The Machine i decided to post 2 of my favourite songs from the album (even though i LOVE all the songs)

Now excuse me while i turn into a wood nymph and listen to this amazing album for the ?????th time.

Because you've gotta love a classic. Especially when it's on the beautiful Jeff Wayne War of the World. 

EDIT here's a second since I started listening to it; 

It's feels a little different to his normal work (Or at least a large portion of his more popular stuff), in that it is not a very similar sounding song about love in one manner or another, so I kinda want your thoughts on it. 

Archived