Secret Anime Exchange: Endless Summer 2014

Agro

Somehow, this ended up in my hands, so that's cool. You know what isn't cool? Summer. It's hot outside where I am right now, and I'm not a fan. You know what is a fan? The fan I got right next to me. It's blowing wind into my face. You know what isn't my fa- wait. The point is is that it's summer and like Fusion did last year, we're going to throw all our names into a hat, have a random other person draw it out and secretly give the name drawn an anime to watch. But unlike last time, I'm going to put up a little rule for the anime you have to choose.

Main Rule

The anime you choose must relate to summer, whether in the ideas presented, the concept of the show, the events that happen, the location in which it occurs, the characters in the show, or any other way you think the show offers a representation of the summer time.

This is a very open rule. You can choose an action-heavy space odyssey to reference the summer blockbuster movies. Shows that just happen to involve vacations or the great outdoors, too. Obviously, shows by the pool side, on the beach, or shipwrecked on the ocean. Summer sports like baseball and soccer. Music festivals, parties, and general fun. It's a very open rule. Hell, maybe I should change it to Main Guideline instead. The idea is that entrants should try to stick to the guidelines, but it's okay if you want to or need to stretch guidelines. Avoid having your whole argument for why a show relates to summer be that for one episode they had a generic beach episode. That's not gonna fly. But it's fine if the rest of the show actually does relate to summer in some way, even if it takes place in the winter. So with that out of the way let's get on to the important bits.

Free-I.jpg

Yes, Nagisa's bits are important. I mean- I'm using "Free!" as the most obvious example of, like, anything you could possibly relate to summer. It helps that the newest season has "Endless Summer" in the title. A season of which you're not allowed to use, as will become apparent in the rules that follow. So, without further ado, let's DIVE right into Nagisa's swimsuit the rules.

Main Guideline

The anime you choose should relate to summer, whether in the ideas presented, the concept of the show, the events that happen, the location in which it occurs, the characters in the show, or any other way you think the show offers a representation of the summer time.

RULES
Rule 1. You cannot in any way reveal who you are choosing an anime for. This is a given, but I'm restating it to make you look like an ever bigger fool if you do squeal before the end of the event.
Rule 2. Anime Selection ground rules:
- Selected shows cannot be ongoing.
- Must be 25 episodes or less so that it can be finished by the deadline. (Single or multiple seasons– depending on the length of a season– of a longer show are allowed, as long as they're capable of being standalone from the rest of the show)
- Must have subtitles/translation and must be freely available (preferably legally viewable through sites like Crunchyroll or Hulu).
- You cannot select an anime knowing the recipient will not like it, however that does not mean that a recipient HAS to like the selection.
Rule 3. There are 4 deadlines to keep in mind:
- July 7: Deadling to ENTER (by posting in this thread)
- July 15: Deadline to SUBMIT ANIME to Agro through PM.
- July 31: Finish WATCHING ANIME you were given.
- August 5: Have posted your IN DEPTH THOUGHTS on the anime you were given by posting in this thread. You can submit your response at any point after July 15, but like I highlighted, the response must be IN DEPTH. Folks are giving you these anime because they want to hear what you think about the shows, so be respectful of your giver just like you'd hope they'd be to your submission.
Rule 4. To reiterate the information in Rule 3:
- Enter by filling out the application and posting it in this thread.
- You will be PM'd by me, Agro, on July 7, informing you of the entrant of whom you will give an anime to.
- You will respond in the same PM (or a different one if you cannot find the original) to Agro, with a message including the name of the anime you are submitting, preferably with a link to where to watch said anime by July 15.
- You will then be PM'd by Agro informing you of the anime you will watch on July 15 or 16. (hopefully on the earlier date)
Rule 5. I am the middleman in this whole event, so if you have issues, feel free to PM me. If you're given an anime you've already seen, let me know and I'll get it straightened out as quickly as possible.
Rule 6. And if you're cool, you'll suggest an anime for Agro to watch that you think he'll like, too.

- Here's My Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/AgroDrago
Rule 7. When filling out the application, try not to whittle down the possible shows someone can submit to you. The idea of this event isn't just to give you an anime you know you'll like, but something that you MIGHT like, but that you may not know you like until you watch it. Don't be afraid of being put out of your comfort zone a bit.
Rule 8. The Event begins today and ends on August 5, or once all anime have been responded to, at which point the secret exchange no longer becomes secret and you can reveal yourself to the recipient of your gift. I will also post a list of who-got-who at that time, as well as collect all the responses into one post.

Rule Ex. If you happen to finish your anime and want another one, feel free to send me a PM asking to see if your giver will offer up another. Please have posted your written response BEFORE requesting another anime, to make choosing another anime easier on the giver. You don't need to write anything in depth for any anime past the first, but offering some form of comment is preferred. And as Fusion did last year, if they don't respond, I'll send you a gift myself, although you won't know it was me until the event is over~
*Subsequent anime that you are requested to give past the first are not limited by the "summer"-theme guideline.

Participation Gifts:
I kinda dropped all my points before my leave of absence, so I don't have THAT many to offer. Because of this, if folks would like to offer points up to me for use as gifts for participating in this event, I don't intend to use them for anything else.
- For every individual piece of commentary you post on the anime you're given, I will give you a rep or 300 points (points while supplies last). You can mix and match what you get for what comments (5 pieces of commentary for 5 reps and 0 points/4 reps and 300 points, etc.)

[spoiler=Application]
Name:
Anime List: Please post within a spoiler or link. If you do not have an anime list already made, try to list some/most of the anime you've seen.
Episode Limit: The 25 episode limit can be viewed as more of a guideline by your giver, depending on if you don't mind going higher or lower.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?:
Other: What else do you think your secret anime santa should know about you before they offer you up a show to watch?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Exchange Entrants"]
1. Aix
2. CDDRodrigo
3. D.A.
4. Dae
5. Ene
6. Greiga
7. Kirito
8. Mitcher
9. Rapid
10. syber_sypher
11. Tenta
12. Thar
13. Wildflame
14. Zai
[/spoiler]

So that's it, let's get going

Now, seeing as I've already injected Free! into this post, here's a video that will both entertain and rot your brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyzIyhDM2Zk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name: Wildflame
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Wildflame
Episode Limit: I'd rather go for 12-13, seeing that I will be going on a trip in the middle of this thing
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi. Harem, I guess, but I wouldn't hate seeing one for a change
Other: Ehh..., nothing in particular, I'm open minded about pretty much anything

Name: Ene
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/-Ene-
Episode Limit: Eh, 13. Still deciding to do this despite all the other things I might get behind on, but I'll still make sure to deal with this.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi, hentai, horror
Other: I'm not that fond of mecha either, but not enough so that I'd be against it for an open minded change of pace. I'd personally rather it not be so actiony though, but it would probably be fine.

Name: Mitcher
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/danna45
Episode Limit: I don't mind how long it is, bring it on.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi, Horror, 5-minute shows
Other: Anything goes, really. Moe, fanservice, edge, 2deep4u, generic, I'm up for anything.

Also, someone who appreciates Nagisa THE best boy, good man, you deserve a thousand praises.

Well, This sounds fun. Actually Just made an Anime List, so since im still adding to it its not very accurate.

Name: Zai
Anime List: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Zaifire Again, not quite so accurate yet.
Episode Limit: 50-ish
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi,
Other: If its a mecha show, chances are I've seen it or at least heard of it. Consider this a challenge to you to find one that I haven't. Otherwise, I'm game for anything you want to give me.

Yet hentai is still on the table for all of you except Ene!

I make my priorities clear :3

BTW, I have a question: How exactly do I submit the anime? Do I have to pick a show and pick someone that I want to suggest it to, or do I just throw a name of an anime and you'll choose who'll get it?

BTW, I have a question: How exactly do I submit the anime? Do I have to pick a show and pick someone that I want to suggest it to, or do I just throw a name of an anime and you'll choose who'll get it?

:T Rod Read Rules

Rule 4. To reiterate the information in Rule 3:

- Enter by filling out the application and posting it in this thread.
- You will be PM'd by me, Agro, on July 7, informing you of the entrant of whom you will give an anime to.

- You will respond in the same PM (or a different one if you cannot find the original) to Agro, with a message including the name of the anime you are submitting, preferably with a link to where to watch said anime by July 15.
- You will then be PM'd by Agro informing you of the anime you will watch on July 15 or 16. (hopefully on the earlier date)

Name: Thar
Anime List: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StoneColdLoki/anime
Episode Limit: I'm a 13 episode kinda guy, but that's only a preference. 52 episodes MAX.
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Yaoi, Mechs, Love, and Shonen.
Other: Yandere is my non-guilty pleasure. I also don't care for stale characters as long as the plot is interesting. Fanservice is a plus.

Name: Rapid
Anime List: OHSHC, Free!, tbh with you I don't even remember which animes I've already watched. 
Episode Limit: 25
What Anime/Genres are you NOT interested in?: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Other: Please don't send me anything about robots. I hate robots with a burning passion. 

Yeah I guess. It's just not my cup of tea, ya know.

Well I mean, is it the robots or the action with suits or whatever.

idk, ignore me. I'm not the one that has to gift anyone anything (for the most part) 8D

Archived