Doctor Who?! Why is there no page for this?!

-Dom-

I'm sure that there already is a thread about Doctor Who, but I can't find it anywhere obvious, which seems very strange. Therefore, I would love to either talk about everything that is Who (the show obviously, but also novels/audiobooks or games if you're into that, theories on the new series with Capaldi coming soon etc), or just be directed to an already existing page like this before I seem too stupid.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me... I need to continue watching the classic series. I think I'm about half-way through the 4th Doctor.

Favorite Doctor is 9th, ofc. Favorite companion is Leela (imo, the only companion in the revived series that comes remotely close is Donna.)

If you're only into the modern stuff that's fine, and I'd advise watching series 7 (it's less dark, and has bigger "blockbuster" episodes with little knowledge about the show needed to enjoy them.

@Thar: are you up to Key to Time series yet? That's a cool one (haven't seen all the classics/very few, but I have seen that whole series), and has Romana. I personally think that Leela wasn't really relatable enough as a companion (having said that, Romana's one of my favourites as she can do stuff; keep up with the Doctor, regenerate etc - her 2nd incarnation is much better though).

@Duston: I probably agree with you about Clara being one of my favourites, as she is the right combination of resourceful and relatable, what a companion should be. Leela was a bit too much, as was Ace (being able to make a Dalek need to call for reinforcements with a baseball bat?!) and Amy, while her background was interesting (how she was emotionally unstable/relies on childhood imaginary friend) her characterization by the writers was annoying. 

@Duston: I probably agree with you about Clara being one of my favourites, as she is the right combination of resourceful and relatable, what a companion should be. Leela was a bit too much, as was Ace (being able to make a Dalek need to call for reinforcements with a baseball bat?!) and Amy, while her background was interesting (how she was emotionally unstable/relies on childhood imaginary friend) her characterization by the writers was annoying. 

Amy was my favorite until Clara joined him. I thought she was really great, its just that Clara is better at what Amy does, in a different way.

9th and 10th Doctors were my favourites and Matt Smith was good but the writing for a lot of his series was awful. Bring back Russell T Davies please (I know it isn't going to happen). 

As for companions, I didn't like Donna because she fkin cried in almost every episode and it just got annoying. I first started watching Doctor Who with the modern series and Chris Eccleston so Rose was always my favourite because I was easily pleased as a kid and didn't really think about whether what I was watching was good or not. Clara was good but again the bad writing ruined it for me. Amy was terrible because everything was made out to be about "love" or Amy's imagination or something really gay and cheesy. Martha was very mediocre and not very memorable. 

Only really into the modern series. I have friends that are obsessed with classic Doctor Who but I'm not that fussed. 

@ Saber: I kinda have to agree with you that the modern series is better; the classics had a lot of cool plot ideas(probably more so than the 2005- series) but the scripts and 20 minute episode format meant not much happened (and it was the definition of a cheap sci fi in terms of monsters and effects). As for the new series, they have definitely improved the script sharpness/humour and the monster ideas (I mean Slitheen were good by RTD, but Weeping Angels, Shadows, Prisoner Zero and the Silence- Moffat writes better monsters) but the 1-episode characters suffer due to the need to be introduced and done with in 45 mins, and companions are either now uninteresting or unrealistic and cheesy. While I thought Clara coming up with the idea to save the Doctor in the Series 7 Finale at his grave was really clever and great development for her, it was kinda ruined by mentioning soufflés, and her later convincing the Time Lords to give him more regenerations just cos was really grating.

@Thar: yeah she's badass, those animal skins, dat knife, and of course:

[spoiler='THAT SLAP']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKKvHxD_FmI&feature=player_detailpage  [/spoiler]

I've only seen the modern reboot of the show so doctors 9 through 11.

Loved Matt Smith with Amy and Rory as companions.

And since it was simple to do my mother and I recently made jammy dodgers like two days ago. Gotta love what silly things you'll do cuz you like a show.

I grew up watching classics on KERA right after Red and Green show. I remember very little, Somehow the plot of one of his male companions being brainwashed/taken by The Master comes to mind.

@Thar: he is easier to forget than Mickey Smith. I got tired of Amy/ Rory half way through series 7. My favorite is SJS.

Having said that, I'm already sooo hyped for a new, darker Doctor that I think he's a contender for favourite already.

Fool. Each and every single Doctor is bound to be a contender for favourite~

Master confirmed for recast in series 8 :D.

Nope. Just highly rumoured~

Oh so this is a thread now, cool.

I recently spent a couple months watching the entire modern series. And 9th is for sure my favorite Doctor.

And Rory is my favorite companion, hands down.

I'm so excited to see how Capaldi does. To be honest I'm not too impressed by Clara, her personality seems a bit...confusing. Like, she seems to be just what is needed at the time.

I really want something different for a companion, most of the modern companions have been 21st century women, I'd like something new. An alien, or someone from the past or future.

And I really want there to be a dog companion. Like, a regular dog. Not JUST the dog, but also a dog.

Ah, nice to see I finally get a dedication page, even if it is in the wrong forum.

But seriously, yes. I was originaly hesitant to watch the show back in 2009. But I gave it a shot with Series 4 and fell in love soon after. I even own two sonic screwdrivers and a official replica prop from Rubbertoe.

Matt takes the cake for me for the modern doctors, though I can understand why many people don't like him with the flamboyant attitude and a taste of clothing that could even make 6 cringe. Captian Jack was a great companion, but moving him to Torchwood was a bad idea. The character changed too much and started to become a mix of 9 & 10.

For the classic docs, I'll go for Davison/McGann. Paul really should get a time-war-era series if Torchwood finally get replaced.

I have faith in Capaldi and his return to the dark who, but I do expect the fear factor to not return. The audience has shifted to teens and young adults, and we're much harder to scare with our exposure to the world.

Matt takes the cake for me for the modern doctors, though I can understand why many people don't like him with the flamboyant attitude and a taste of clothing that could even make 6 cringe.

Not sure if you noticed... But the fanbase got over that years ago. Now they all love him.

This criticism comes with every new Doctor that waltzes in, but it usually fades away after a year or so.

Captian Jack was a great companion, but moving him to Torchwood was a bad idea. The character changed too much and started to become a mix of 9 & 10.

You kiddin'? Without Jack, Torchwood would've crashed and burned into the ground. Not only did Torchwood put him into the spotlight and expanded upon his character, it also gave DW fans something to churn on during the gaps in-between different Series.

And I don't see any 9 or 10 in him. I see Jack Harness being oh-so-lovable Jack Harness...with a few centuries of experience added in, thanks to Bad Wolf. Maybe you simply kept comparing them too much.

I have faith in Capaldi and his return to the dark who, but I do expect the fear factor to not return. The audience has shifted to teens and young adults, and we're much harder to scare with our exposure to the world.

...has 'shifted'? Dude. The fear factor is an essential part of Doctor Who that's been standing by it for over fifty years now (case in point: the legendary 'hiding behind the sofa' phenomenon), it's something that will never go away, and in case you haven't noticed, children and young adults alike watch it.

Oh, and don't underestimate Moffat. Sure, he can make overly-complex plots and stuff, but he's also able to churn out things as legendary as Blink. Monsters like the Weeping Angels and the Silence - it's what he's best at, frankly.

Just because we're harder to scare doesn't mean that DW should stop trying. It's not Star Trek or Star Wars, after all.

Favorite Doctor of the modern era got to be the 11th. The War Doctor would be my second even if he appeared only on the 50th anniversary.

Favorite Doctor from the classic era is a tie between the 3rd and the 4th. 

Favorite companion so far would be either Donna/Rory. 

Master confirmed for recast in series 8 :D.
Too bad the two actors I know would be perfect,James Nessbit, and Mark Shepard, wont be him

Mark Sheppard already appeared on the show, along with his dad playing an older version of him. Plus, being on DW would mean less BAMF king of hell - Crowley.

Series 8 single sentence previews from SFX #251, from an interview with Moffat (not really any spoilers)

801. Clara trying to cope with her best friend being someone else. A terrifying monster.
802. Gritty Dalek ep that goes into the last place in the universe the Doctor should be.
803. Very funny Robin Hood story all about being a hero and whether the Doctor is as a good man.
804. The story of a date and the Doctor having what appears to be a mild nervous breakdown. Tiny guest cast, no CGI. A bit of Coupling. Quite scary.
805. A Doctor Who heist movie with a cracking monster, one of Neill Gorton’s best.
806. What effect would slipping away with the Doctor have on your life? A hoot with some serious bits. Bit like The Lodger.
807. Proper drama with monsters and all the Doctor Who stuff that you could want. Also features a callback to a past episode (sort of).
808. Moffat playing the long game with a callback to something from Matt’s first series. A brilliant idea of a monster. Foxes singing.
809. A horror story that starts off with a very cute idea and becomes really quite frightening by the end. One of the best ever sight gags in it.
810. Boldly beautiful, lyrical and poetic. A fairytale, but not Moffat fairytale. Quite different with a clever main visual idea
811/12. High octane action, with Cybermen and some proper UNIT stuff. Strong emotional story about Clara and the Doctor and the fact that the way they interact might not be healthy for everyone around them.

I got into doctor who around when the 50th anniversary special aired and I have been hooked since. I have watched all the episodes of the modern Doctor Who and I'm now working on the classic Doctor Who series. I'm almost finished with season 1 and I do enjoy William Hartnell's portrayal of the First Doctor even if he is a little stubborn and crabby at times. I've even managed to find the episodes on dailymotion, they even have the lost episodes by playing the audio, which is still 100% intact, to some surviving images/clips of the episodes although there are some that have been recreated via animation. I've still got a long road ahead of me as there are still 25 more seasons and a movie to go and I will make sure to enjoy every second.

Also, make sure to watch the new season of Doctor Who coming in late August. Good luck to Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived