First MTG Deck: Token Spam

Going to be flat out honest and say my knowledge on deck construction in MTG is little to nothing. I know you want about 22 land and that's all I know.

So far the plan is to use/open with

Land: 23

City of Brass-4

Grand Coliseum-4

Gaea's Cradle-2

Glimmervoid-3

Reflecting Pool-3

Lotus Vale-3

Deserted Temple-4

Creatures:

Elvish Mystic-4

Fyndhorn Elves-4

Defiant Elf-4

Artifacts:

Alloy Myr-2

Opaline Unicorn-2

Astral Cornucopia-4

Crucible of Worlds-3

Sorceries:

Gelatinous Genesis-4

Revive-4

Trade Secrets-3

Hurricane-2

Enchantments:

Doubling Season-3
Day of the Dragons-2

Maybes:
Nomadic Elf
Agent of Masks

The deck is currently in revision obviously. All I thought of really. Apologies if the deck matches any other current deck. I was just clicking on random card and browsing lands. The deck is running multicolor because I was thinking of using different color's effective spells and making it work. I know the deck has obvious drawpower problems and exhaust itself too easily. I need help getting that fixed. As for the win condition.

The layout for how I get the win condition. Use the elf synergy and spam fast. Use Gaea's Cradle(I know only one can be active) to get that extra mana for each creature. The idea is to then use Genesis to get as many tokens as possible then slaughter as best as I can. Turn after I get more mana from tokens and the elves. Keep getting it higher with the more tokens I add from Genesis and eventually invest most of the mana into Astral and use it as a pseudo-land purely because the amount it gives me each turn. With all the extra mana I keep spamming tokens with Genesis but also use Doubling Season to potentially make that token count even higher. Depending on my opponent's strength Day of the Dragons can be used with all the tokens and elves along with Doubling Season to potentially have a lot of 5/5 Red Dragon tokens.

Note: I was thinking of adding potential burn. Some Devil card and I think Hurricane works similar. I am new to the game I had my first match yesterday with my friend's Sliver deck which reminds me. He says the whole mana engine I made along with better draw power could potentially make a dangerous rainbow Sliver deck. Any help I can have with that over PM?

>Doubling Season

Gooood luck trying to get that card, though. It's quite expensive due to EDH shenanigans and stuff. Won't be nice seeing opposing planeswalkers ulti from the get-go, either.

Would recommend Parallel Lives instead. It only affects you, and doubles your token output. Also it's cheaper. as a cheaper alternative.

EDIT: Realized Doubling Season isn't symmetrical.

With that much mana there's better uses than dumping it into astral cornucopia. You have a pretty basic shell of an elfball deck. Look up some legacy elf lists to get some ideas on what to do. Is this a cocatrice deck or do you plan on actually making a physical deck? Because if its the latter, I hope you have a few thousand dollars to spare.

The best way to learn the game is by playing it. If you can, join in some draft or sealed events at your LGS, its the best way to learn the game and the cheapest way to grow your collection. Do some research into the major formats (standard, modern and legacy) and find which one interests you most. Just note, modern and legacy are pretty advanced formats that require you to know how the rules interact with each other. Plus they are very expensive to buy into. Standard is the cheapest in the short run but ends up being the most expensive since the cards in standard rotate every several months.

Some good programs to learn how to play on your own time are the Duels of the Planeswalker series. I personally thing duels 13 is the best one but D14 has some extra game modes. You can get them on Steam. Another good program is Forge. Its a free program that has draft and sealed simulators that you can play against (really dumb) AI. Its a great tool for learning and deck testing. you can find it at http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge.

You're running two colors, you really don't need city of brass. Same with Grand Colosseum. City is best for 3 or 4 color decks that splash another color. Lotus vale is nice but with gaeas cradle you have more than enough fast mana, plus, you can drop crucible and make room for some other cards. Some better land cards to use are shocklands. Theres a whole cycle of them for each color pair. The U/G shockland is Breeding Pool. Shocks are really good since they count as both basic land types and they can come into play untapped. A good utility land for this deck is Boseiju, Who Shelters All. It makes your stuff uncounterable, which is pretty useful for a green deck. You can also use a couple of Dryad Arbors. They are lands that are also 1/1 creatures. With Green Sun's Zenith, you can have 2 lands out on turn 1. Also, drop revive and replace it with Eternal witness. It does the same thing but its not limited to green cards and its a creature.

I'm mainly using Grand and Brass as a starting mana pool until I get Lotus Vale. It's any color mainly and the damage isn't that bad early game. It also leaves my deck freedom to expand other ideas that include other colors. I originally wanted to use some Angel card that gave me one or two life for each White spell used. I would then spam these White spells in the form of token sorceries. Lotus Vale will use Brass and Grand for sacrifice. Since Lotus Vale gets me the three mana each turn I would need for my basic stuff. Even then I'm mainly on the idea of having more mana than this deck looks like it needs. I guess the better word would be overkill. I love the idea of Dryad Arbor and Green Sun's Zenith. It thins out the deck which the deck appreciates.

I have a question on the Mana Confluence suggestion. -4 Brass or Grand and +4 Mana Confluence maybe? I understand that without my Artifacts Glimmervoid is a dead draw and card on the field. I understand now. Good suggestion. Thank you.

Archived