Screwing with the Extra Deck for a Casual Custom Format

Just a draft idea for a casual custom format:
Like most custom formats out there, this ought to have problems popping up eventually, but I thought I'd still give it a shot.

For starters, you can't play this in any online server, due to it's nature (which you'll soon see why) so it's for IRL use and whatnot....

[spoiler=Rules]

1-The Extra Deck is now up to 5 Extra Deck stacks (I imagine them behind the S/T Zones, but whatever suits you) of up to 3 cards each. 

2-The cons:

*The cards are all public knowledge in each Extra Deck pile for both players.

*Each player must start the duel with all piles turned sideways except for 1 right side up.

*Being sideways means that the pile is disabled and so its owner cannot access that part of the Extra Deck.

3-If a player would gain Life Points, they can instead enable (turn right side up) 1 of their Extra Deck piles (yes including gain from your opponent like Upstart Goblin). If your opponent's effect is giving you the Life gain, they can first choose if they want to enable a pile of yours instead (and which one if so). If they decide to go for the Life gain as is, it is then your turn to choose.

4-If a player would inflict damage to their opponent, they can instead disable 1 Extra Deck pile from their opponent, or enable 1 of their own (no damage is inflicted if you do).

5-If a Pendulum Monster goes to the Extra Deck, you can choose which of your Extra Deck piles to put it on, and it will be affected by that pile's status just like any other card in said pile.

6-Disabled Extra Deck piles are cannot be accessed by effects like Gale Dogra, Elemental HERO Prisma, or milled via Extra Deck disruptive plays until it is enabled.

7-A player can only have up to 2 piles enabled at any given time. If you would enable a third, then another one is disabled (the choice of whoever applies from points 3 and 4 of this rule list).

[/spoiler]

It is a fairly neat concept, but the 30 card ED is just not sitting right for me for two main reasons.

A: 30 cards is a lot, even spread through 5 piles that have to be managed. That is just a massive toolbox that kinda makes the Extra Deck into exactly what it shouldnt be: a second main deck.

B: You cant play this on DN, which I sorta want to do as the idea is as I said interesting.

So I think if you put it down to 15 cards, with there being 5 piles of 3 instead, then we can eliminate both of these issues. For playing on DN, the players would simply need to tell their opponent which "piles" contain what and which one is initially active before the duel begins.

Besides that, I am interested in seeing how this goes. Will decks be more focused on Life Point gain? Will effect negation become more prominent, and Special Summon negation less so? etc.

It is a fairly neat concept, but the 30 card ED is just not sitting right for me for two main reasons.

A: 30 cards is a lot, even spread through 5 piles that have to be managed. That is just a massive toolbox that kinda makes the Extra Deck into exactly what it shouldnt be: a second main deck.

B: You cant play this on DN, which I sorta want to do as the idea is as I said interesting.

So I think if you put it down to 15 cards, with there being 5 piles of 3 instead, then we can eliminate both of these issues. For playing on DN, the players would simply need to tell their opponent which "piles" contain what and which one is initially active before the duel begins.

Besides that, I am interested in seeing how this goes. Will decks be more focused on Life Point gain? Will effect negation become more prominent, and Special Summon negation less so? etc.

Originally it's meant to produce a risk of getting the Extra Deck sealed away strategically, in exchange for being able to play a bigger Extra Deck, though you are right that 30 might be going overboard. At least I'm glad that the number can just be toned down to whichever is comfortable for everyone (like the usual 15 card limit) without affecting the way the custom format works =D

I'll edit the main post to 15, 3 card max piles sound about restrictive enough as opposed to having 6 and hardly feeling the difference. Plus the bonus that it'd be technically playable. Actually, if DN can overlay any kind of card and move them to the S/T Zone, then just use Counters to signal enabled/disabled, it's about the closest it can get but it'd still be a pain for actual S/T cards wanting space...hmmm I'm sure stuff can be figured out xD

Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you liked the concept.

Archived