Japan to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation

The first comment on CR I see sums up my thoughts exactly. Also if the prices and content offered were remotely worth the price I would actually pay more often. Neat though, and I am not encouraging piracy in any way. Seriously though what they charge for this stuff is ridiculous. 

Edit: The site they plan to make sounds kinda stupid atm. It just gives me that heavily watered down for foreign audience vibe, like JUMP. If any of you have seen JUMP manga, I hope this makes sense.

If it goes through, we can pretty much say goodbye to watching our subbed anime and forced to watch/read 4Kids/Viz stuff (or whoever's responsible for English dubbing).

Same goes for scanned manga [meaning that Arc-V thread and to an extent, the Naruto thread will be pointless to keep runing, as most of us won't be able to see them anyway (except for Darkplant or some other YCM members in Japan right now)].

That being said, it just says the Japanese government will "request" operators of said sites to do it (given the wording); it's up to them to abide by their wishes. Granted, a lot of said series aren't done yet or have a large gap between Japan/USA (and other area) releases and/or discontinued; so some people might not have a choice but to do it. Not saying that I support piracy in any way.

(If you watch a lot of anime/read manga, then probably worth the $10 or so. If not, it's too expensive)

I used to subscribe to Shonen Jump for a time until they went digital, so I can probably guess that's what it'll look like (this new "legal" site).

While I don't know many ways to get manga, Crunchyroll and Hulu have been getting more and more anime, so I think those will take their place pretty easily with an increase in what is offered. Personally, I'm worried about manga, since while I know Crunchyroll has manga they don't have much of an offering.

I used to subscribe to Shonen Jump for a time until they went digital, so I can probably guess that's what it'll look like (this new "legal" site).

WSJ is a REALLY good service. They are only 5 days behind, at thats only because the scans are leaked copies. Sadly, it isn't much of a source since you'd only get: Naruto, Toriko, One Piece, Bleach, Nisekoi, One-Punch Man, World Trigger, HunterXHunter, and Seraph of the End. Not much of a line up.

Eh I'm pretty sure this is just Japan taking a shot at China.

Rather than trying to stop piracy they should try to give us more advantages by buying stuff. Like bundling figures with the blurays or something. Booklets and promotional art really isn't enough anymore since those can be scanned and uploaded online.

I don't read enough manga to resort to getting a subscription to something. The biggest problem between anime and manga is that anime can pretty easily offer advertisement with commercials. I wonder if a manga site of a similar variety could offer that for a free account. There aren't enough manga I want to read, so having a free option where I can read the ones I do would be nice.

Hulu and Crunchyroll have offered every anime I've wanted to watch. Anything else I want to watch is worth buying. And anything available on Crunchyroll and Hulu that I WANT to buy costs too much on DVD and Bluray. That's probably the biggest issue here, since prices in the US are put to a dumb amount because of how much they cost in Japan.

So here's the legal fun part: if an anime or manga isn't licensed in your country, it isn't illegal to download it or post it for everyone to see. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Welp, looks like nome of the sites I use are being targetted, so w/e.

I'll be honest, I really do try to support the industry as much as I can (i.e. buying cosplays, figures, dvds and other merchandise) but the thing that really kills me is that they'll release like 2 episodes in a set and charge $60, and if it I want to buy a whole series I can't afford that.

Manga Reader and Manga Here are the two to really look at.

If either can turn into a manga-CR, or if CR can really fucking step up its Manga game, I probably won't care.

YouTube is also worth mentioning since anything that uses anything from anime is likely to get hit really fucking hard now.

Oh. Okay.

I have very little respect for people who pirate anime and live in the US, anyway. For people outside the US...good news! This isn't going to affect anything!

...particularly since the main source for fansubbed anime isn't even on that list.

Manga Reader and Manga Here are the two to really look at.

If either can turn into a manga-CR, or if CR can really fucking step up its Manga game, I probably won't care.

YouTube is also worth mentioning since anything that uses anything from anime is likely to get hit really fucking hard now.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens to stuff like AMVs and what not. 

And again, I feel like manga is going to be affected a lot worse than anime, and as a big fan of manga this makes me sad.

Agreed. I'm not as big a reader of manga, but there are more than a fair amount of shows that I've passed on waiting for new episodes to read the manga instead. Attack on Titan, I don't think I've seen an episode past the first one or two. I ONLY read the manga for that one. Just today, I started reading the manga for Noragami to see both the changes between it and the anime, as well as get more of a story I really enjoyed. I tend not to go out searching for manga to read without knowing about the anime first, though, but I don't think I'd love Haikyuu as much as I do, and wouldn't be watching the legally streamed episodes on Crunchyroll, if I hadn't gotten into the manga just after the announcement that they were making an anime. So yeah, I hope some good, legal sites who can somehow sustain free accounts pop up out of all this. Even if I have to watch commercials while reading manga, I'll definitely deal with it.

And yeah, AMV's, abridged shit, and reviews, even. I'm fully expecting to see a repeat of the Let's Play thing that happened a while back.

Personally, I don't mind people uploading old stuff you can't buy from the company anymore (like, 80-90's going back,) nor is advertised in any form. In this case, it's a good way to share and preserve history now that they aren't available in stores.

But, for current stuff, I support the companies cracking down on piracy since they're making money off of it. These companies release anime with the intent of profiting from it, and making it available for free online when there's still profit to be made isn't supporting the companies.

Toei had planned to make a Tokusatsu channel that included Sentai and Masked Rider shows with official subs for international fans, but they backed out, likely due to the availability of their franchises due to fansubbers.

Bushiroad uploads official dubbed episodes of their Buddyfight anime every Friday on YouTube for free, and douchebags on the pirate sites still stream it anyways, and with ads.

Toei had planned to make a Tokusatsu channel that included Sentai and Masked Rider shows with official subs for international fans, but they backed out, likely due to the availability of their franchises due to fansubbers.

Bushiroad uploads official dubbed episodes of their Buddyfight anime every Friday on YouTube for free, and douchebags on the pirate sites still stream it anyways, and with ads.

As a fan of Toku that news made me really sad. I have no other way to watch it outside of the fansubs so I have to use them. I think the only anime I watch on a site is Pokemon, and thats becaue you can't watch that.

Yea, thats upsetting. Like, if you can't legally watch something, fine I get that, but if you have a lega means to watch something use it. Personally I love ads since they give me a break from watching to look at my social media and I can support things I like without doing anything.

10402718_776065995778776_341673191167783

I hear this is the list of sites being targetted.

I hope not, I see Chia-Anime on that list and that's the main site I go to now for my subbed anime needs.

Is there a site I could be able to go to that isn't on that list in order to watch Yugioh ARC-V, Tokyo Ghoul, and Black Butler: Book of Circus?

http://manga-anime-here.com/

Here's the site they're setting up. Looks like the idea is to have a database that will direct people to sites they can read the manga/watch the anime legally at. Can't seem to figure out how to access the anime side of all this, but manga is leading to Viz Media, Crunchyroll, Weekly Shonen Jump, and Random House, the latter of which I'm unfamiliar with.

Actually, I'm unfamiliar with how all of them deal with manga (besides Weekly Shonen Jump), do any of these have a way to read manga for free? And what's their rate of updating?

Still a lot of things I think can be done better, obviously, but this could be a good start.

I hope not, I see Chia-Anime on that list and that's the main site I go to now for my subbed anime needs.

Is there a site I could be able to go to that isn't on that list in order to watch Yugioh ARC-V, Tokyo Ghoul, and Black Butler: Book of Circus?

Tokyo Ghoul and Black Butler are on Hulu, albeit everything will be a week late. If you want it on time, legally, you'll need to subscribe to Funimation.

I use Gogoanime to watch a fair amount of my anime; didn't see it on list unless I skimmed over it too quickly. Although I do use AnimeUltima/Plus/Freak, etc sometimes and those are on list, but I probably won't mind too much. Youtube is a definite target here; shouldn't have been surprised to see it, along with Dailymotion (considering I was using it to watch ZEXAL subs most of the time). I don't mind the ads, since I can just take care of some personal stuff in the interim while they air before my shows.

TBH, I only watch three anime series (though they're ones that are still popular; mostly Pokemon XY [and any back episodes I missed over the years] and Arc-V/5Ds, but Naruto Shippuden is on the list in the event I am bored). Manga-wise, a lot of the sites I use are listed (Mangapanda, Mangafox, etc) so that spells trouble there; even if I'm only reading Pokemon Adventures and Naruto lately; former still hasn't released Emerald in English yet.

Granted though, I'd try to buy the graphic novels and/or DVDs when they come out, but sometimes the bookstore doesn't carry the novels or the price of a DVD set is a killer (about $45-50+).

As for AMVs, since lots of people use them, not sure what'll happen. They're pretty much gestures of appreciation for the series/its creators; though Japan may think otherwise and assume they want to claim it as theirs; even though disclaimers ARE in most of them (either in the video themselves or in the description). 

@Dark-Scar: You can try Gogoanime for Arc-V things; I usually go there to watch stuff. I believe British Soul does post a link to the raw episodes when they're out though in official thread.

I use Gogoanime to watch a fair amount of my anime; didn't see it on list unless I skimmed over it too quickly. Although I do use AnimeUltima/Plus/Freak, etc sometimes and those are on list, but I probably won't mind too much. Youtube is a definite target here; shouldn't have been surprised to see it, along with Dailymotion (considering I was using it to watch ZEXAL subs most of the time). I don't mind the ads, since I can just take care of some personal stuff in the interim while they air before my shows.

TBH, I only watch three anime series (though they're ones that are still popular; mostly Pokemon XY [and any back episodes I missed over the years] and Arc-V/5Ds, but Naruto Shippuden is on the list in the event I am bored). Manga-wise, a lot of the sites I use are listed (Mangapanda, Mangafox, etc) so that spells trouble there; even if I'm only reading Pokemon Adventures and Naruto lately; former still hasn't released Emerald in English yet.

Granted though, I'd try to buy the graphic novels and/or DVDs when they come out, but sometimes the bookstore doesn't carry the novels or the price of a DVD set is a killer (about $45-50+).

As for AMVs, since lots of people use them, not sure what'll happen. They're pretty much gestures of appreciation for the series/its creators; though Japan may think otherwise and assume they want to claim it as theirs; even though disclaimers ARE in most of them (either in the video themselves or in the description). 

@Dark-Scar: You can try Gogoanime for Arc-V things; I usually go there to watch stuff. I believe British Soul does post a link to the raw episodes when they're out though in official thread.

Thanks for the site recommendation, I'll try using it and hopefully it won't get hit by this operation.

Just to see who's in agreement on this issue:

It's okay to be disappointed that a way you have to watch anime/read manga which you couldn't otherwise access will go away, but it's not like it's our RIGHT to view the anime/manga illegally, and it's understandable why they would do this.

And because of that fact, we'll just have to bear it. However, in return, what we as consumers should push for is more consumer friendly policies and availability. If anything good comes of this, it will be that more and more anime get put on viewable sites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, etc. where they can be viewed for free, albeit with commercials (which I do hope most of us will deal with rather than see that as far too much of a hassle). That manga somehow finds a similar route, as the current availabilities spread the consumer's dollar too much to viably allow readers to get into all the manga they would otherwise read. And above all else, at least for me, make the dvd's and blu-ray's cheaper. I would rather not spend $100 on 25 episodes. Get into the $60 range, then we'll talk. I'm a gamer, I'm used to that pricing.

Archived