• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 34,311 posts
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

I mentioned this sometime in an earlier thread, but to keep things tidy (and give a lot of you the opportunity to see past cards), I'll post them in one thread.

Keep in mind that some cards may not be posted in chronological order; rather I have separated them into groups based on what they do [their set IDs will be listed in the group]. I made a few things out of order, so that's why things are like that.

Anything that is new and not been posted prior has name in RED [which, right now, is limited to the senior Swords of Justice (you've already seen Keldeo and main thread is still active on page 1 right now)].

Current Status: DONE

Kalos Legendaries (001 - 003)

Tao Trio (004 - 008)

Eeveelutions (009, 014 - 015)

Lucario (010 - 011)

Eon Kyōdairyū {Eon siblings} (012 - 013)

Heatran (016)

Swords of Justice {Seikenshi} (017 - 020)

RUM Mega Force (021)

Probably going to make this a 25-card set, so one more general monster (016) and four more cards [maybe 1-2 Mega Evo sets or something associated with the legendaries.]

Anyway, CnC/fix OCG, whatever.

You're not required to CnC on all of them, because I know 20+ cards is a lot of stuff to cover in a single review.

If you wish to give a general overview of things (either of the whole set or just a select group), that's also fine. Provided you give an adequate review as required by the AC, I won't mind at all.

Well-thought out reviews will be repped.

Edited by Sakura Haruno, 02 October 2016 - 05:21 AM.
Wrong kanji on Terrakion (iseki on that one meant something NOT related to ruins)

Signature Stuff
Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Member Card 2017

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931 (Jason)

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Darj

Darj

PH-PPLC-FLCL

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

I will comment on the Swords of Justice because I helped with Keldeo and I want to be fair with the rest of them.

Cobalion: It has a "you can't play Yugioh" effect, just like the V1 Keldeo, but this time against monster effects. As I implied on Keldeo's thread, I suggest to stay away of these effects and instead go for a weaker or watered down versions of them (last only 1~2 turns, a soft-lock rather than a negation), etc., similar to Keldeo's new Taunt effect. Another option is to make the card itself impervious to card effects instead of negating monster effects, and it would also be a reference to its Steel-type:
This card is unaffected by your opponent's monster effects.

Or you could go for an Armades-like effect to counter those Hands and Shaddolls:
If this card attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

Finally, "when this card destroys a monster by battle" clause is unreliable nowadays (removal effects are rampant, the battle phase becomes less relevant after each format, etc.), so I suggest to make the effect faster. You could go for an OPT clause like Burei, or a Catastor/Nephilim clause ("At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a monster:").

Terrakion: This thing is huge. Even with the "when this card destroys a monster by battle" clause, this card can destroy up to 3 cards if nothing else gets in its way. I think this part of the card is fine, because it trades protection for raw power and destruction.

What I don't like is its ATK boost of 500 per turn, because it means that during your next turn it will reach an intimidating ATK of 3500, and will continue to get bigger. Now that we are at it, I think Keldeo's boost is fast as well, as it reaches a respectable 2800 ATK during your turn. I suggest to slow down these boosts and make them trigger during either your turn or the opponent's, instead of both player's turns.

Virizion: It looks weak compared to the rest of the Swords, and it has 1 less effect than them. Again, the "when this card destroys a monster by battle" clause is unreliable, and negating attacks is not an impressive effect. As an idea, you could improve the effects of Giga Drain/Focus Blast: Halve the ATK/DEF of the target and gain LP afterwards. After all, LP is not as important and you would benefit more from halving ATK/DEF than reducing them by 700. also halving the ATK/DEF would add flavor since Focus Blast reduces by 1 stage, which essentially halves the affected stat.

Instead of the attack negation effect, you could go for something different that represents another of Virizion's most common moves in the Pokemon game, or you could split Giga Drain and Focus Blast into 2 effects:

Giga Drain effect: Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; gain Life Points equal to half that target's ATK, [optional: and if you do, its effects are negated until the end of this turn.]
Focus Blast effect: At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a monster: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that monster's ATK and DEF are halved.

I suggest the negation side-effect on Giga Drain to make it more than a mere LP recovery effect, and to further improve Vizirion's disruptive capabilities.

In addition, Virizion has a high Sp.Defense, so I guess for a third effect you cold give Vit a DEF boost as a counterpart of Terrakion. If you go for this, then Cobalion should add DEF with its first effect as well to properly support Virizion.

Keldeo: I think you should nerf its ATK/DEF boost effect as I already pointed out.

vvb9i54.jpg

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
— As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

Stand

bkWHGLt.gif  wlWp4Vr.gif

Credits: cat6757(dA) - Neko-Slay(dA)

unknowngamer911

unknowngamer911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

i especially like the artwork. it looks fancy XD.

also, Rank-Up-Magic cards, lucario, Mega Lucario, and Rank-Up-Magic Mega Force has the best artwork. its very fancy.

10/10

Actrobat 1.png

LOL

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 34,311 posts

@Voltex: We don't need another Shi-En in terms of card negation; especially one that can be used every turn. Fixed that one on Cobalion and added the effect immunity to it [though it only blocks Poison for the most part]. Stat boosting effect increases DEF now; I had originally had it boost ATK/DEF but worried about it/Virizion since they already have relatively high DEF for Level 7 monsters [then again, Ancient Fairy/Pixie have 3000 DEF and are generic, so...] In terms of "Iron Head", works when it battles a monster now.

Fixed Terrakion's stat boosting effect [Swords Dance essentially doubles the ATK of the Poke using it, but yeah pushing it to 3000 during opponent's turn really pushes it to be overpowered very quickly]. Nerfed it to 300 ATK during your own turn and made it during your turn only. But you are right about its effect being pure destruction; considering most of its sets are generally wall-breaking types, which this card was designed after. Of course, your opponent could just Exciton/Mirror Force it or whatever though; but you already pointed that out.

Virizion's effects have been fixed accordingly [Focus Blast and Energy Ball reduce a stat by 1 stage, which is essentially making it 2/3 of its original value, but that really doesn't coordinate well]. A third effect has been added, which mirrors Terrakion [though defensively]. Outside of Calm Mind though, Virizion doesn't have much options of boosting its special defense; unless I missed something. I was going to raise it to 2700 DEF so it can better serve as a wall if it needs to (based on last effect). That being said, only Gusto/Mist Valley are capable of bringing this card out if I factor in real life Decks.

Keldeo's stat boosting got nerfed to work on your turn only [and 4 turns, so it remains constant with the other Swords that can boost every turn], though I did buff its stat gain to 300 ATK/DEF [from 200]. On your turn, Keldeo will reach 2700/2100; while it misses the 2800+ benchmark for usual bosses; it's enough to handle stuff on its own for a while. It's a little weaker than how it would be if I had left the effect as is, but encourages opponent to try getting rid of it quickly, otherwise it simply pumps up and eventually kills their monsters. In a way, it'll still reach the 3600 ATK with its "Calm Mind" effect, but just that it'll take a bit longer to get there. In a way, try to retain the Calm Mind reference that you suggested earlier, but also factoring in speed so it doesn't get overpowered quickly.

@unknowngamer: Only ones I designed on own were the Sacred Swords, both Eons and the RUM. Everything else was found on Google Images somewhere.

On that note, remember what I told you in the regular Keldeo thread; you need to give more constructive feedback on stuff. It's fine to say that you like the pictures, but we're not in the Showcase section. You need to give comments that are relevant to the card's effects/stats/design or whatever.

Signature Stuff
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Member Card 2017

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Darj

Darj

PH-PPLC-FLCL

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

My mistake, I thought that -1 stage actually was -1/2 stat reduction, but I guess that halving ATK/DEF is still more flavorful.

And yeah, Virizion uses Calm Mind to boost its Sp.Def, so you could also include ATK in its stat boost effect if you really want to; I suggested only DEF to make it more of a counterpart to Terrakion and to give the Swords different boost effects:

- Terrakion gains ATK

- Keldeo goes hybrid with ATK/DEF boosts

- Virizion gets DEF

- Cobalion supports all of them

Since Terrakion, Keldeo and Virizion get stat boosts for multiple turns, I suppose Cobalion's stat boost effect could work the same way, if only to make it more fair, even if it compromises flavor.

As for Terrakion ATK boost, I think that to keep the Sword Dance/x2 ATK reference, you could raise the original ATK, and reduce the ATK boost but make it last longer:

An original ATK of 2600, and +200 ATK during each of your Standby Phases for 13 turns.

That way, it will eventually gain 2600 ATK, essentially doubling its ATK as if it had used Swords Dance, and while it will take much longer, it won't make Terrakion less of a threat since it will reach a respectable 2800 ATK, hitting the boss benchmark, during your next turn.

Another option is keep its original ATK of 2500, and reduce the ATK boost but also make it last longer:

250 ATK during each of your Standby Phase, for 10 turns.

It would take less turns to double its ATK, but it will start weaker and won't hit the 2800-ATK benchmark during your next turn.

vvb9i54.jpg

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.

Stand

bkWHGLt.gif  wlWp4Vr.gif

unknowngamer911

unknowngamer911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

@unknowngamer: Only ones I designed on own were the Sacred Swords, both Eons and the RUM. Everything else was found on Google Images somewhere.

On that note, remember what I told you in the regular Keldeo thread; you need to give more constructive feedback on stuff. It's fine to say that you like the pictures, but we're not in the Showcase section. You need to give comments that are relevant to the card's effects/stats/design or whatever.

I Noticed, and i was talking about the BACKGROUNDS. sorry that i wasn't clear... :(

Actrobat 1.png

LOL

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 34,311 posts

@above: Either way, you do need to abide by the Advanced Clause in this section. You can talk about the picture, but the primary point of your review should focus on the cards themselves (design, effect, etc.)

Heck, you can just comment on one of the card groups [they are organized for you] with a proper 4-5 sentence review of them as a whole (or separate if you want, like Voltex has done thus far); that's fine.

@Voltex: To keep the flavor with the other Swords, Cobalion's effect should just boost them continuously for a couple turns. Then again, there are some consistency issues with running all of them in same Deck (Terrakion/Cobalion can be run together in EARTH decks like Naturia, X-Saber, Karakuris [I think] or some other stuff that I missed), so the boost will probably only affect itself for most part. Team matches could maximize this, but since most reviews are kept to a 1v1 match; won't elaborate on it much. I'll keep it at 4 turns, like the other Swords.

Virizion could use a slight attack buff as 2300 ATK on a Level 7 isn't particularly enough to run over stuff on its own; especially when only 2-3 Decks can actively make this (Gusto, Mist Valley and maybe Harpies if they choose to run a Tuner, which I don't recall them doing). It does learn Calm Mind though, so it'll help a bit. Halving ATK/DEF is still going to be retained, since it helps Virizion's cause with keeping common monsters in check. It is mostly a defensive wall, but it certainly can hold its own in battle if needed.

In terms of Terrakion, I originally planned to make him have 2600 ATK but decided against it due to its old stat boosting effect [and that finding a round number that's divisible by it would've be hard]. Can adapt the secondary option provided; retain the 2500 ATK [it's enough to destroy most things] and just make the boosts last longer (I don't really like using stat increases that aren't divisible by 100; so might retain the 300 boost it has now and have it go to 8 turns). It'll be a little off of 5000 (4900 to be exact), but this is when balancing a card and representing its actual effects / sets in the game collide. Considering that I did sort of push for this section to show better card design/balance [because of quality control], might have to do latter option. Granted, it does reach 2800 on next turn; which is enough to tie with most ace monsters, but your opponent can still kill it on its initial turn since it's still at 2500 ATK [while it's still a respectable amount + can deal with its fair share of stuff; most bosses can deal with it, along with regular effect removal]. If opponent doesn't get rid of it, their whole field will be destroyed in a matter of time [either Terrakion just flat out kills them or the Earthquake effect finishes off whatever it can't kill in head-to-head].

Might tone down its destruction effect a bit, because as you mentioned earlier; it has the capacity to mow down 3 monsters each turn; assuming your opponent's backrow and other things are dealt with.

--

I made the necessary fixes as noted above; keeps the suggestions that you've made, but also with a bit of my own input on the matter.

As for card #16 (since it is missing), either might do a standalone legendary that's not part of any duo/trio or add another Eeveelution alongside Jolteon/Sylveon. Or I can just make another Pokemon that is capable of Mega Evolution, though its Mega will have to be 022 - 025 because of continuity stuff. (Probably best if I make a standalone card right now, and elaborate on Mega Evos or some other stuff later in set 2 if I get the interest to do so)

At this point, not really minding if cards aren't exactly sorted by type, since they're spontaneous at the time of creation (considering I've made these since January).

Signature Stuff
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Member Card 2017

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 34,311 posts

Guess I'm bumping this because of the update.

Added Heatran as card #16 (you noticed that I did skip it in the earlier update). Basically, its effects are designed on more of a defensive set it can run on Smogon (Rocks to cut down the opponent's strength and its signature move in keeping the opponent from doing much with the monster targeted; factored with some burn). As stated in the notes, adding an effect that emulates Roar (bouncing) would be nice for it (could probably afford to add it. Either that, or I scrap the SR effect and make it a more offensive one [think it's a bit slow for this game].

As of now, ending this at 21 cards (20 monsters and that one RUM card). I'll save the rest for a second set if I ever get the time to do one, outside of my RC-level stuff. Maybe more Mega Evolutions or something; don't really know at this point.

Signature Stuff
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Member Card 2017

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Darj

Darj

PH-PPLC-FLCL

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Heatran looks weak in my opinion. The "Burden of the Mighty" effect is fine, albeit slow, but the other effect is underwhelming: Even while it locks the monster for a considerable amount of turns, if you target a low-Level and/or weak monster it will be pointless because Heatran can simply run over it with its 3000 ATK, and if you target a stronger monster the effect won't be too effective since it doesn't remove or weakens the threat/wall (you would have to wait for Heatran's first effect to debilitate it), and if is a Fusion/Synchro/Xyz monster chances are the opponent won't be using it as material for a Fusion/Synchro/Xyz anyways.

Another point is that, since this is Level 8, you might as well Synchro Summon a Red Dragon Archfiend or even Scrap Dragon instead to effectively remove the opponent's monster(s). In other words, Heatran is not at the level of some of the generic Synchro 8s available.

My suggestion is to add that Roar effect you have been thinking about, which might actually become Heatran's most important effect. For instance, an on-summon mass bounce effect at the cost of not attacking for that turn would look fair on a Synchro 8 with non-generic Synchro Materials in my opinion:

When this card is Synchro Summoned: Return all other monsters on the field to their owner's hand. This card cannot attack the turn you activate his effect.

The "cannot attack" restriction not only keeps the card on check, but also adds flavor because it simulates Heatran using Roar instead of using an offensive move (attacking). You can further strengthen this restriction by skipping the Battle Phase if you want. It also affects your side on the field to make it slightly more balanced by discouraging or punishing you for summoning this while you have an established field.

Finally, this is just me being picky but I think it would be better as a FIRE/Rock-Type, if only to add a bit more of originality because the FIRE/Pyro combination is overused and boring in my opinion, whereas FIRE/Rocks are scarce (searching on DN, it only shows up 2 monsters with that combination). I know the Pokemon is not even Rock Type, but it has a magma theme so it would still make sense.

vvb9i54.jpg

— Don’t forget.
Always, somewhere,
you are not alone.

Stand

bkWHGLt.gif  wlWp4Vr.gif

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 34,311 posts

I buffed the first effect a bit, making it 200 per turn instead. With that said, high Level/Rank monsters will get crippled more by it.

Added the Roar-esque effect, though in actuality, Roar only bounces 1 of your opponent's Pokes out; not everything else (but it can be seen as the bouncing variant of Exciton to some extent). At the most, you can still summon the bounced monsters again with some method (either you Pendulum Summon them or whatever). This one will be potent enough to mess with a lot of Decks.

I scrapped the second effect and just made it a generic 800 point burn. Also has an OPT clause on it, though I don't think you'd be able to get a second one out (some Decks might be able to).

As for the typing, it's changed. FIRE/Machine could have worked as well [to reflect its Steel typing], but then it becomes Overload Fusion fodder or something; factoring in the support cards Machines have to look forward to.

Thanks for your critique so far; it's helping.

Signature Stuff
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Member Card 2017

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users