Utopia

.Rai

Never have I wanted to recommend a show so badly as this.

I've rambled for ages about this show, but I can say without a doubt it's the best thing I've watched on television for years. Dark thriller with sci-fi elements, and some of the most colourful cinematography you've ever seen. A US adaptation is coming to HBO with David Fincher (Fight Club, The Social Network) at the helm, but the UK version is ridiculously hard to top.

For fans of Breaking Bad or Fargo. For a tl;dr plot blurb - a graphic novel written in the 1980s by a scientist gone mad supposedly predicts various disasters; in the 2010s, a sequel has been discovered and ends up in the hands of some comic book forum misfits. And now they're on the run from a shady organisation that wants the manuscript.

4oD in the UK. Here's the thing on Youtube for those not in the UK. Or buy the boxset.

If you're looking for a representative of what the show is like (and its ridiculous dark humour), here is a spoiler-free opening sequence from Series 2. Have a go, watch it:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEqyyotENQ[/media]

So I'm 3/4 of the way through e1 and the colours are fantastic, but the plot is eh and the writing is often sketch.

What about the plot's eh? Although, most of it makes no sense in episode 1, it's mostly introductory. It gets absolutely insane later.

I dunno plot isn't particularly enthralling yet is mostly what I mean.  I'll watch the whole thing though

Wherever you think the plot is moving, it's probably not that. trust me mr goose sir

Personally though, Series 2 is better plot-wise, mostly because it delves more into the villains: who are brilliantly written characters. The protagonists are fairly boring people for the most part.

Is S2 out?

Indeed. Finished last week in the UK. Not out on YouTube yet as far as I can tell, so the Hola browser extension + finding Utopia on 4oD is the most obvious way I can think of (except torrenting, which I don't like to recommend).

How was the finale?

SPOILERS:

[spoiler=spoiler]

The finale is fairly good.  The early tip off about the twist was a tad bit obvious but the twist was great and tied really well into E1 which is nice since I was starting to think that whole "where is whatever" stuff was really silly.  

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler='you have been warned']
i'm somewhat confused, was the whole reason the network wanted the manuscript just so they could get their hands on Jessica hyde?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=woop woop response episode 6 spoilers]Yes, in a nutshell. The manuscript's somewhat a distraction - Milner doesn't actually want the manuscript: as she says, "just a bunch of old drawings made by a crazy man". She does know that the manuscript will lead her to Jessica (hence all the ridiculous 'Where is Jessica Hyde' stuff) as Jessica's searching for the manuscript as well (because it does have a formula for Janus in it).

Although, only Milner's aware of Janus being in Jessica. A lot of this is cleared up in Series 2 though, especially the first episode.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=woop woop response episode 6 spoilers]Yes, in a nutshell. The manuscript's somewhat a distraction - Milner doesn't actually want the manuscript: as she says, "just a bunch of old drawings made by a crazy man". She does know that the manuscript will lead her to Jessica (hence all the ridiculous 'Where is Jessica Hyde' stuff) as Jessica's searching for the manuscript as well (because it does have a formula for Janus in it).

Although, only Milner's aware of Janus being in Jessica. A lot of this is cleared up in Series 2 though, especially the first episode.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler='response to possible spoilers']

well that's a shame, it kinda makes the season feel like... everthing that happened was pretty pointless.[/spoiler]

[spoiler="response to possible spoilers"]
well that's a shame, it kinda makes the season feel like... everthing that happened was pretty pointless.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=here comes the response train]To an extent, I agree, but Series 1 is fundamentally a mystery drama. Every mystery must have a big reveal, and for a big reveal to be good as intended, there must be sufficient subversion throughout. The reveal's been foreshadowed the whole series (hence why the incessant rattling off of "Where is Jessica Hyde?").

Definitely check out Series 2 though. The tone's very much different: since the main mystery's been revealed, it's got more of a standard thriller vibe at this point. So you're less likely to get downer moments like that (although, on the other hand, the manuscript served its purpose; and it definitely had a purpose).[/spoiler]

My thoughts as of watching the season 1 finale:

I swear to god I just wrote an entire essay explaining why this is easily one of the most brilliant pieces ever constructed by mankind and even that seemed like it wasn't worthy. 

If you've seen it; you already understand, if you haven't, fix your fucking life please.

My thoughts as of watching the season 1 finale:

I swear to god I just wrote an entire essay explaining why this is easily one of the most brilliant pieces ever constructed by mankind and even that seemed like it wasn't worthy. 

If you've seen it; you already understand, if you haven't, fix your f***ing life please.

Yeah, the finale's insane.

Dae gave a link for Series 2 in the thread, check that out too. Of the twelve episodes, Series 2, Episode 1 is probably my favourite. Shot in 4:3 aspect ratio, switches the yellows with oranges, new soundtrack with analogue synths, all because it's set in the 70s. I'm sure I can say that unspoilered, it's fairly obvious from the outset.
I did finally realise what Utopia reminds me of. Stanley Kubrick mostly, because both directors use one-point perspective. In that respect, the show's similar to Wes Anderson's stuff too. Another person who uses one-point perspective. Both have bold colour work too.

I have yet to see the finale, but am I insane for siding with Letts?

Also, Arby is awesome. Sucks that Lee had to bite the dust. I liked him too.

[spoiler=series 1 woop woop]I mean, part of the show is the fact that the morals of the villains are actually quite reasonable. The statistics they're using are actually true, for instance. Wilson's certainly sympathised with Letts.

Watch Series 2 after. Their morals are explained in far greater detail. And a lot of surprises you'll like.[/spoiler]

Archived