How Important Is It To Hide What You're Playing Game 1?

Considering how much of the Deck (particularly the monster lineup) can be guessed just by seeing one of the archetypical monsters, it would be optimal to hide whatever deviation from the norm you're using unless absolutely necessary. Surprise factor is often incredibly exploitable when it sets in.

It really depends upon what THEY are playing. I remember against FF it was a pretty big deal, because the early tenki searches are quite reliant on whatever the matchup is. Mind crush is seen occasionally, though it is really a sideboard card so playing around it seems silly. I guess the real answer is that if you can do it, do it, but if it will harm your deck's function at all, don't even bother.

I came to a choice today between gaining a bit of card advantage now or waiting to use it later in order to hide what I was playing. I chose the latter and I wonder if that would be the better choice with Shaddolls.

One of my friends has a story of the game 1 of his match that got him his invite.

So he was playing Constellars teching Bear and Tenki, not terribly unusual. His opponent was playing FFs, so my buddy decided, since he opened Tenki, to pretend he was playing FFs as well. This went on for a few turns of just tenking and popping opponent's bears and such. Finally he goes "Summon Pollux?" and his opponent is stupefied. He thought he'd been playing the mirror so he hadnt set resources aside for a sudden Pleiades.

Dustons I know definitely need the surprise factor of G1, which is why they do significantly better in singles than in matches, and always will until/unless they get a card to help them function G2-3. If opponent knows you're gonna be trying to ram House asap, they aren't going to play as aggressively until they can stop you; they will change the way they place with that foreknowledge.

Not sure this is quite the point of the thread, but I play Infernity and have an Infernity playmat, but I don't use the Infernity playmat if I'm playing Infernity in case my opponent thinks I'm playing Infernity because of the Infernity mat and they decide to go first, putting me at a disadvantage since I'm playing Infernity and Infernity always wants to go first.

...I think I just broke the world record for the most amount of times "Infernity" is used in one sentence.

I had a Ninja deck with an interesting side that I used for fun at locals. Game 1 would be Ninjas. Game 2, I would do a complete 15 card side and be playing Gate Heros. Game 3, throw all 15 cards in again and pull 15 out. Opponent now no longer knows if I'm playing Ninjas or Gate Heros. :3

I've also won a game 1 using generic backrow (warning, mirror force, etc) and beating down with ONE generic monster (I think it was Thunder King at that time). Opponent sat there confused as to what to do for game 2 as I causally sided hate against him.

I've won plenty of games using my Kuriboh deck (Earned me a invite, back in the day) which would revolve around burning as quickly as possible whilst controlling the field, it was ace! I'd then side into Junk cards and completely change the way the deck worked and churn out as many SS synchro monsters as possible after they had sided out all their defensive cards. I think having a versatile side is more important than screening G1. 

• 5 weeks later...

I've won plenty of games using my Kuriboh deck (Earned me a invite, back in the day) which would revolve around burning as quickly as possible whilst controlling the field, it was ace! I'd then side into Junk cards and completely change the way the deck worked and churn out as many SS synchro monsters as possible after they had sided out all their defensive cards. I think having a versatile side is more important than screening G1. 

since game ones are generally slower, this kind of thing is definetely possible. full 15 card change outs are powerful deck tools and keeps the game n your favor no matter what the opponent's knowledge of your deck game 1 is.

Archived