Duston Support Because Why the Hell Not...?

Agro

Dustony
Spell / Quick-Play
Target 2 "Duston" monsters you control; shuffle those targets into your Deck, then draw 3 cards. Your opponent cannot respond to this card's activation if they control 4 or more "Duston" monsters.

Duston Duster
Trap
If your opponent controls no open Monster Card Zones: Target 1 monster on the field; Destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Duston" monster from your Deck to anywhere on the field. During your turn, if you control 4 or more "Duston" monsters, you can activate this card from your hand.

To be honest, I don't actually know how helpful Dustony is to a Duston deck. Do they like draw power? Meh. It requires set up, obviously, and offers incentives the more of your opponent's field you control. Plus as a quick-play you can +1 off it if played correctly.

Duston Duster was the reason I made this thread. Thought monster removal could never hurt, but being a trap, it's fairly slow.

I did not try that hard~

Yeah, Dustony is kinda useless, even in a deck that can put so many on the field, a -2 Monsters for a draw isn't that great. It would be MUCH more potent if it let you shuffle Duston from either player's field, and then draw.

Duston Duster wouldn't actually see much use, I think. Yeah, it does activate and replace 1 Duston, but it has to get set and all. I think it might do well with something like...Dustony's 4 Monster requirement, but instead of not being able to respond to it, you can play it from your hand?

I played with Dustons for a brief while, and typically all of the Dustons you ever get onto the field you will want to actually be there. It's either House for littering the field, Star for shutting down parts of the game, or the vanilla/House in order to Xyz and try to win the game. Meanwhile, one major issue with the Deck in general is that over a quarter of their Deck is dead in your hand, which means you've got less cards to make your plays from a lot of the time. Basically, you don't want ANY Duston in your hand, except for House and Star since House SSes from the hand and Deck.

Duster looks like a basic House trigger if you think that your opponent is going to play a nondestruction removal effect on it. However, this card is dead the moment your opponent puts a monster on the board. This prevents this card from being played at the times when such a card could be the most beneficial (in response to things like Castel, though you can still chain it to CED or PWWB sometimes). Then there's the last effect, which I don't really see much point in since the one Duston you do want to kill is House, who would fill the board up entirely anyways.

If Dustons need anything, it's something that would help solve their issue of all of the dead draws that almost every Duston is. The Deck, suffering from single-card-reliance on House Duston in order to do anything, would actually appreciate the increased chances of snagging a House that are much more reliable than monsters that only work when being killed in battle, like Shining Angel and Stygian Security. For a draw card, they would probably want a card more akin to Trade-In, though a Duston Trade-In feels like it'd be ill-designed. As for the Trap, right now if they want such a card, they could always just run Generation Shift (kills House, makes sure you have another if you don't win by littering) if they really wanted to. Duster just needs to do something else. Maybe there could be a card that helps you make a bigger Starduston, that way the Deck can do something without being 100% reliant on House.

Also I'm totally a better Duston player than Kano. Totally!

Also I'm totally a better Duston player than Kano. Totally!

Cute.

Anyway most of the above comments are correct. Dustony, while I nice draw engine, is a bit too situational and in many instances counter-productive. You'll want your Dustons you control for nearly all of your plays, drawing more of them would be less than ideal.

Duster is neat, but again not super fantastic in practice because it requires you have already succeeded in your Duston party. That's not what Dustons need, they need more efficient methods of setting off House or protecting him from being sidestepped.

They're nice cards and their design is fine, but in terms of practicality, they just aren't super helpful.

Archived