Yes, that's its real name.
[spoiler="images of the system"]
20140829_051638.png20140829_051845.png
20140829_052017.png
[/spoiler]

New features:
- New 3DS has screen size that is 1.2 times larger than the regular 3DS
- Added a small joystick on the right-side, that is based off the Gamecube’s C-stick
- The ZR and ZL buttons that are on the Circle Pad Pro are also included in the new 3DS series, in addition to newer brightness adjustments, and improved 3D viewing angles.
- New Nintendo 3DS will ONLY use Micro-SD cards, along with a new feature that will make it easier to transfer media files to and from PCs.
- Improved browser that’ll make things easier to browse the internet
- CPU is getting powered up

I should also note that they are remaking Xenoblade Chronicles for the 3DS, but it will only work on the New model. This makes me a bit salty, but then again, the 3DS wasn't exactly a power house handheld to begin with.

FAQ page:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/29/nintendo-answers-questions-new-nintendo-3ds/

Sources:
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/29/new-nintendo-3ds-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-announced-powerful/ (and the nintendo direct itself)
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/29/xenoblade-chronicles-remake-announced-new-nintendo-3ds/ (and the nintendo direct itself)

Discuss.

Unlike the DSi it seems that no one can ignore this thing. 

Also I thought that it was MicroSD AND SD but its INSTEAD. Damnit Nintendo. At least they basically said "hey guys this is for MH4".

It seems like on older games the c stick is the same as the d-pad, while I assume newer games will find some new use for it. I hope you can map it to do ABXY.

I bought my first 3DS on launch day, I'd totally be up for getting this, assuming I can transfer all my stuff over to it.

Its already been confirmed that it will be using the same OS from the 3DS with some tweeks here and there, and the original 3DS already came with the transfer option, so you will be able to transfer your data to the New 3DS just fine.

Its already been confirmed that it will be using the same OS from the 3DS with some tweeks here and there, and the original 3DS already came with the transfer option, so you will be able to transfer your data to the New 3DS just fine.

Awesome. Don't want to lose those 20 Ambassador games. :3

I understand why the Xenoblade port is exclusive. Something like Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D showed the 3DS's capabilities of having ports of Wii games, but there are still games that require more CPU, so the New 3DS is capable of playing those games. At the very least, it's closer in concept the DSi, but this is more of an upgrade to the 3DS than the DSi was to the DS. Although, I wonder if there would be a New 2DS.

While I got the original 3DS, at least it wouldn't make it pointless if I upgraded to this. I got the Ambassador Games, after all, so that makes my time with that 3DS worthwhile. Not to mention the games I had for it.

The only problem with this model is that there will be games that only work for it.

That's it. Otherwise, it's a great new model that allows for games to be developed with multiple control schemes in mind.

Well, that, and still not having a system that connects games to an account and not to a single console COME ON

Do we have any sort of release date or price range?

The price will go for 16,000 yen for the New Nintendo 3DS, 18,800 yen for the New Nintendo 3DS XL, when it gets released on October 11, 2014 in Japan.
It was also noted that the New Nintendo 3DS models aren’t expected to be released in North America or Europe within the year.

Last 2 lines from the article from the 1st article I posted.

1 Yen is equal to 0.009608 US Dollars right now, so 16,000 yen should be equal to around 154 US Dollars

EDIT: Made an important change in the OP. Apparently, it only supports Micro SD card. Only more reason not to trade-in or sell my 3DS yet, since standard SD cards usually have more storage space than the micro SD cards, and micro SD cards already max out at 32gb right now.

EDIT2: Added the FAQ page

I'm just glad that this will give Xenoblade Chronicles more recognition as a Nintendo franchise.  Then people will stop saying that it's a 3rd Party game (that's a pet peeve for me).

I'm guessing people don't know Nintendo owns Monolith Soft. Although, I would like to see The Last Story and Pandora's Tower get some expansion. Operation Rainfall did good, so I want to see how far the results of their campaign can go. 

The only problem with this model is that there will be games that only work for it.

That's it. Otherwise, it's a great new model that allows for games to be developed with multiple control schemes in mind.

Well, that, and still not having a system that connects games to an account and not to a single console COME ON

Here's hoping that, with this console, Nintendo makes a heavy eShop revamp.

Unless it gets some games I'm really interested in I'm perfectly fine with just using my plain old 3DS. It's a nice upgrade but I don't want to spend the money. Especially since I don't even have a Wii U yet.

This.

I do kinda like this though because it means Nintendo can expand on the games it has on the 3DS with the larger, more advanced CPU. The SD card only thing makes me kinda salty though.

I'm guessing people don't know Nintendo owns Monolith Soft. Although, I would like to see The Last Story and Pandora's Tower get some expansion. Operation Rainfall did good, so I want to see how far the results of their campaign can go.

That would be cool as well.  Also, you'd be surprised with how many people are ignorant on who owns Monolith Soft, and it hurts bad.

Except making games that only work for the new system is going to completely split the userbase, confuse consumers, and it's too soon from the original 3DS release and not enough of a power boost for anyone to consider changing to the new system.

Like this is the same problem that made the idea of Nintendo making a new system to replace the wii u already a bad idea.

For Nintendo's sake, I hope that the exclusive games for the system ends with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Except making games that only work for the new system is going to completely split the userbase, confuse consumers, and it's too soon from the original 3DS release and not enough of a power boost for anyone to consider changing to the new system.

Like this is the same problem that made the idea of Nintendo making a new system to replace the wii u already a bad idea.

For Nintendo's sake, I hope that the exclusive games for the system ends with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Thank you.  This is a really risky move.

This is a good video on the confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzcXJ2oTHg

Outside the game thing though, this whole thing is all a really cool thing.

Like, just only consider the processing power as everything besides the games will work faster, which is cool. If developers treat it the same way, everything's okay.

Because think about all the other upgrades: they've taken the useful accessories for the 3DS and built them INTO the system. Circle pad pro, amiibo pad. Then added better 3D mechanics and made the screen work better while outside (I think?) That's pretty damn sweet. 

More Processing Power? The PSP did that in only 1 Console revision, the 2000. From 222 mhz to 333 mhz. This is feeling like a real Cash Grab by Nintendo, especially with the news regarding Xenoblade. Yes, I know there was exclusive games for the DSi which felt like a Cash Grab because of the DS Popularity. Only reason Nintendo is doing this is due to the sudden surge in sales. I doubt it would happen if the Sales figures were like before. 

More Processing Power? The PSP did that in only 1 Console revision, the 2000. From 222 mhz to 333 mhz. This is feeling like a real Cash Grab by Nintendo, especially with the news regarding Xenoblade. Yes, I know there was exclusive games for the DSi which felt like a Cash Grab because of the DS Popularity. Only reason Nintendo is doing this is due to the sudden surge in sales. I doubt it would happen if the Sales figures were like before. 

Which might make sense if I wasn't so sure that this will end up being a bad idea in the long run. 

Cash grabs only work if they let you grab more cash. 

Which might make sense if I wasn't so sure that this will end up being a bad idea in the long run. 

Cash grabs only work if they let you grab more cash. 

Oh it will sell like Hot Cakes..... The 3DS has new Pokemon games and the like coming out soon, also with the Holidays close by, Nintendo could release this close to December and it would fly off the shelves. Just like the latest Iphones and stuff.

Archived