Photo

OCG/PSCT Thread: Writing your card properly!

* * * * * 5 votes OCG PSCT Official Card Grammar Problem Solving Card Text

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts
Update List (Last Updated: 02/11/17 at 13:18 CET)

Content

1: Introduction: What to expect and why this thread exists

2: Too Long, Didn't Read

3: What is OCG?

4: SET & PSCT

5: Colon and Semi-Colon Integration and When/If

6: Summons that do not start a Chain VS Effect Summons

7: Conjunctions and effects in sequence

8: About Quotes and about Archetypes

9: Targeting Effects

10: "You can activate this effect

11: Setting up a Token monster

12: How to properly use Monster Types and Attributes

13: Attributes and Types

14: Using 1 VS a/an properly

15: SET and PSCT, what to write and not write

16: SET/Simplified Effect Text

17: PSCT/Problem Solving Card Text

18: The small x and how to use it

19: Bullet Holes and how to use them

20: Once per turn clauses

21: Excavate, what does it mean?

22: Don't Use "to Target" anymore

23: New wording changes in the TCG and OCG

24: "But", The Hidden Conjunction

25: Do not use "When you do" anymore and mandatory effects errata

26: Do not use "until the End Phase" anymore

27: Face-up and face-down and when to use it

28: Exactly 1 card VS a card(s)

29: Wording Flip monsters properly

30: Ignition, Trigger and Quick Effects

31: The Wonders of the Parentheses

32: Fusion Monsters and how to word them

33: Trap monsters and Pseudo-Trap monsters

34: Notice about mandatory effects

35: Union monster important update

36: A lot of important new term changes and additions

37: Link Monsters, Extra Monster Zone and more important changes

38: Word List, Explanations and Usage Explanation Information

39: Word List, Explanations and Usage List Part 1

40: OCG Quiz

Edited by Zaziuma, 02 November 2017 - 07:19 AM.

·Toot

·Toot

Why Do I Look Up To You?

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts
Spoilers are no fun. I like seeing the paragraphs. Lol this is nice though.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Spoilers are no fun. I like seeing the paragraphs. Lol this is nice though.

It's way too long without them. I wish YCM had those lines, the code for them on DNF is [ hr ], with the brackets closed, but it doesn't work on here.

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• Face-Down Untapped Position
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • Alias:Gadjiltron

Thank you for taking the time to write this guide. I usually reference similar card effects to figure out how to write my cards. Due to the way PSCT changes, and some reprints not being updated when I reference them, I often find myself still using some terms that have been scrapped. Now there's a thread to reference the latest adjustments, including the ones that have appeared in DUEA that I didn't notice.

MegaMan Battle Network series cards - Cards for Battle Network 1-6 present
Lunar Knights cards

I haven't really switched up my font to match my name. Let's correct that.

Contest Awards

38531Gadjiltron.jpg

Yemachu

Yemachu

Woomy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

This is a really nice guide, although a little bit long. There, however, seem to be some small mistakes, or things I would have done differently.
Here is a list of small mistakes/oversights I could find, as well as some suggestions:

• Regarding "11: Setting up a Token Monster ":
    • Token monsters are always Normal Monsters, any effect it seems to have ("Fiend's Sanctuary" for example) is just a lingering effect of the card that summoned it. In your glossary you stated that they are treated as Normal Monsters, but I think it should be a little bit more appearant and would probably be best of in this category.
  • Regarding "31: Word List, Explanations and Usage List":
    • Where you speak about the 3 Decks, you say cards that at no point may there be an Extra Deck Monster in your Main Deck and vice-versa. Though you mention that new concepts might ignore this, Pendulum Monsters already do;
    • Under the explanation of effect damage, you say "Image X damage", I would assume you meant to say "Inflict X damage";
    • Although it might seem redundant to explicitly say that your Deck is shuffled after searching/returning cards, it does make difference for which cards can be activated as shuffling is the last thing to happen.
    • You can combine this category with "32: Words without Explanations", by placing all explanations and alike in spoiler-tags. Though this might be more a matter of preference. 

There might be some more mistakes, but these are the things I could find. But don't worry, making mistakes is part of being human.

Thanks for this great guide, and keep up the good work!

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Quoting is being weird so...

"Token monsters are always Normal Monsters, any effect it seems to have ("Fiend's Sanctuary" for example) is just a lingering effect of the card that summoned it. In your glossary you stated that they are treated as Normal Monsters, but I think it should be a little bit more appearant and would probably be best of in this category."

Right, I'll make that more apparent.

"Where you speak about the 3 Decks, you say cards that at no point may there be an Extra Deck Monster in your Main Deck and vice-versa. Though you mention that new concepts might ignore this, Pendulum Monsters already do;"

Probably something old I haven't updated. I am going to update the Word Explanations section soon, so I'll change that then.

"Under the explanation of effect damage, you say "Image X damage", I would assume you meant to say "Inflict X damage";"

Oops, fixing that soon!

"Although it might seem redundant to explicitly say that your Deck is shuffled after searching/returning cards, it does make difference for which cards can be activated as shuffling is the last thing to happen."

Like, "when...you can" and such? Could you provide an example of that happening?

"You can combine this category with "32: Words without Explanations", by placing all explanations and alike in spoiler-tags. Though this might be more a matter of preference."

That's something I want to do as well, just a matter of getting my fat arse up and actually doing it.

-Noel-

-Noel-

Fin.

• CC Judge
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Edit: Ignore this, my bad.

Posted Image

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Alright, I fixed those issues.

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

I'm not certain over whether to use "when/if/while" for conditions of Continuous Effects.

Lunar Knights cards

Contest Awards

38531Gadjiltron.jpg

JustAnotherDuelist

JustAnotherDuelist

..In America!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Haha, rushed the test and got 5/10. I suck. Nice guide though.

Yemachu

Yemachu

Woomy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

"Although it might seem redundant to explicitly say that your Deck is shuffled after searching/returning cards, it does make difference for which cards can be activated as shuffling is the last thing to happen."
Like, "when...you can" and such? Could you provide an example of that happening?

After looking for some evidence/examples, it seems as though this was more of a interpretation mistake from my side. I assumed the last thing to happen would be to shuffle the Deck in case of cards like  "Howling Insect" or "Troop Dragon", and therefore you could not chain a card like "Bottomless Trap Hole". However, after looking at the errata of some cards ("Giant Rat" among others), it appears that newer cards have it removed; as well as the fact that it does not create timing issues. So just let's pretend as I have never said that...

That being said, I have  suggestion for something which you might want to add to this guide: typical word/effect order. You have already written a little bit about this in the sections about "Bullet hole" and Flip effects. There are however some more things which are often in a similar order. This order might not be completly correct, but it is to illustrate what I mean with effect order:

1. FLIP effect;
  2. Summoning effect/restriction ("You can Special Summon this card by...", "Cannot be Special Summoned, except by...");
  3. Continuous effects ("...cannot be targeted...", "This card gains 500 ATK for each...");
  4. Ignition Effects ("You can target 1 monster...");
  5. Name wide effect limitation ("You can only activate this effect of "Card Name" once per turn, and only once that turn.");
  6. Bullet hole effects ("● 3 or more: This card gains...").

With word order I mean the order in which the specifications of a certain card are placed, for example: "Target 1 Attack Position Level 6 EARTH Warrior-Type Synchro Monster..." (can you guess which card I had in mind?), instead of "Target 1 EARTH Synchro Attack Position Warrior-Type Level 6   Monster...".  I used different colors the different specifications, but I think you have figured out yourself.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

After looking for some evidence/examples, it seems as though this was more of a interpretation mistake from my side. I assumed the last thing to happen would be to shuffle the Deck in case of cards like  "Howling Insect" or "Troop Dragon", and therefore you could not chain a card like "Bottomless Trap Hole". However, after looking at the errata of some cards ("Giant Rat" among others), it appears that newer cards have it removed; as well as the fact that it does not create timing issues. So just let's pretend as I have never said that...

That being said, I have  suggestion for something which you might want to add to this guide: typical word/effect order. You have already written a little bit about this in the sections about "Bullet hole" and Flip effects. There are however some more things which are often in a similar order. This order might not be completly correct, but it is to illustrate what I mean with effect order:

1. FLIP effect;
  2. Summoning effect/restriction ("You can Special Summon this card by...", "Cannot be Special Summoned, except by...");
  3. Continuous effects ("...cannot be targeted...", "This card gains 500 ATK for each...");
  4. Ignition Effects ("You can target 1 monster...");
  5. Name wide effect limitation ("You can only activate this effect of "Card Name" once per turn, and only once that turn.");
  6. Bullet hole effects ("● 3 or more: This card gains...").

With word order I mean the order in which the specifications of a certain card are placed, for example: "Target 1 Attack Position Level 6 EARTH Warrior-Type Synchro Monster..." (can you guess which card I had in mind?), instead of "Target 1 EARTH Synchro Attack Position Warrior-Type Level 6   Monster...".  I used different colors the different specifications, but I think you have figured out yourself.

I actually had something about wording order up before, but I took it down for the reason of it being too nit picky, and Konami sometimes not really following their own "rules" in that regard. There are some things that I could mention though, the ones that they do seem to actually stick to most of the time, such as Special Summon only monsters text being first in the text and having the limitations be after the effect you're using.

The below I also had, but I think most people are not THAT dumb that they wouldn't write it in a sense that sounds right. And again, Konami sometimes doesn't stick to their rules, especially with the placement of the position, so yeah, I could probably do that again.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

New section called "Ignition, Trigger and Quick Effects". I will be updating the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" as my next thing, putting each into their own spoiler and fixing some of the wording and what not. That will probably take a while, since there's a lot, so I'll probably be releasing some of it at at an interval.

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Maybe include a small section for how to phrase conditions. Usually for cards that have name-altering, archetype-associating, or Type-introducing modifications that can't be negated and always in parenthesis.

Lunar Knights cards

Contest Awards

38531Gadjiltron.jpg

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Maybe include a small section for how to phrase conditions. Usually for cards that have name-altering, archetype-associating, or Type-introducing modifications that can't be negated and always in parenthesis.

Added a section about that, it will probably be updated regularly.

Also, I have put up the first few words of the new "Word List, Explanations and Usage List".

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Is there a significant difference between "cannot declare an attack" vs "cannot attack"?

Lunar Knights cards

Contest Awards

38531Gadjiltron.jpg

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

Is there a significant difference between "cannot declare an attack" vs "cannot attack"?

I think the only difference there is is that if a card that already declared an attack gets affected by something that prevents it from attacking, then the "cannot attack" will stop it and "cannot declare an attack" will not.

Cirrus

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

The list of glossary words does not include the word choose. This is possibly quite important as the word allows selection without targeting at activation, which is sometimes relevant; different wording will allow selection at resolution (just "destroy 1 card your opponent controls", etc). There's also no information in your guide that notes the fact that older rules text "select" does not necessarily transfer to new rules text "target" ... which might be useful as a corollary to the inclusion of the above.

Relevant wikia info here:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Select

(otherwise very useful thread but I digress, my brain gets stuck between MtG oracle text and YGO wording sometimes so this is a helpful reference when that happens)

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Ti'zo the Drive-Imp

• Exiled
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,448 posts

The list of glossary words does not include the word choose. This is possibly quite important as the word allows selection without targeting at activation, which is sometimes relevant; different wording will allow selection at resolution (just "destroy 1 card your opponent controls", etc). There's also no information in your guide that notes the fact that older rules text "select" does not necessarily transfer to new rules text "target" ... which might be useful as a corollary to the inclusion of the above.

Relevant wikia info here:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Select

(otherwise very useful thread but I digress, my brain gets stuck between MtG oracle text and YGO wording sometimes so this is a helpful reference when that happens)

Hm, I guess I forgot about that, there are plenty of words that I'm sure still aren't up there. Thanks for the head up.

I should really get to updating the word list soon though, but I not really been motivated to do so. Hopefully I can get of my arse and do this soon.

OmgAWhiteGuy

OmgAWhiteGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

So I was reading through and I can't really figure out if I've got this right. For a deck I'm making my monsters have 'During the End Phase: tribute this card then Special Summon 1 archtype monster from your deck,

Is this correct OCG and if I do not have targets remaining in the deck, do I still have to tribute for a cost-type scenario?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users