Keywords

I was wondering if Yu-Gi-Oh! could benefit from using more keywords, as Magic and Vanguard have been doing.  My theory is that if keywords were to be used a bit more to describe certain effects or groups of effects, it would be easier to come up with new gimmicks or mechanics using pre-existing effects/mechanics that can be reused by stamping those keywords on various monsters (particularly monsters in an archetype), and also, it would help a lot in saving space on the text box.

Currently there are a few keywords, most notably (to me) "piercing".

Do you think using more keywords could benefit the game, or is it a bad idea?

Targetting for Battle -> Selecting

Targeting for card effect: Targeting

Cannot be targetted for Attack -> Unselectable

Cannot be targetted by Effect -> Untargetable

Cannot be destroyed by card effects -> Indestructible by Effect

Cannot eb destroyed by battlle -> Indestructible by Battle

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Summoned by X and cannot be summoned other ways. -> Nomi. Summon by X.

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Mus tfirst be summoned by X. -> Semi-Nomi. Summon First by X.

etc

just to make it shorter.

Spinning is returning to the top of the deck

I forgot that was a thing for a moment, lol...

Spinning doesn't even make sense as a word…let alone for this game.

For some reason my dictionary isn't seeing spinning as being a verb…?

A noun meaning something completely irrelevant to the act of spinning?
This is confusing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be nice if Yugioh implemented keywords. It'd also help make easy support for cards that have certain effects as an extra group.

As of right now, Union would benefit from this. It'd just be shortened to a single word, and so it'd be able to affect all monsters of that category as the game updates itself. For example, if Konami decided all Unions now protect from any destruction instead of just battle destruction like the older ones, they'd just need to update it in the rule book to have it take effect for everything automatically, instead of leaving the older cards even more obsolete. Then any specific viable targets for them could just be added in a parenthesis or something. Like:
-Burning Beast

Union ("Freezing Beast")

or

-Machina Gearframe

Union (a Machine-Type monster)

etc.

It'd shorten the battle protection clause, the un-equipping clause, and the equip clause, which is like 6 lines of text.

Gemini Monsters would benefit from it too. They are invariable as far as I know so yeah.... just the word "Gemini" would suffice.

I think "Excavate" was pretty meh, even if the intention was good. Personally, I think they should have made "Excavate" the equivalent of "Scry" from MTG, 

Example: Scry (2) = Look at the top 2 cards of your Deck and return each to the top or bottom in any order.

It'd actually be saving up words instead of just replacing "reveal". Then they should have made an archetype to use the key THIS way instead of Sylveans (don't get me wrong, their controlled mill mechanic is also entertaining, but for a space-saving key word being introduced, which Excavate isn't.... )

The piercing line was a good thing, but I think they could have just added the single word "Pierce" and shorten it all the way, unless they plan on making Piercing Effect Damage someday, in which case the way I just wrote it in 3 letters still is more effective....

Spirit could have been self sufficient and not just a sub-type name, until they made a Spirit that could be Special Sumoned and had to be.... If they erased that single monster from existence they could....

FLIP can't possibly though. Its nature dictates that FLIP monsters often have non-flip effects and it still needs to be addressed which effect it is, unless they made it like Pokemon and added a name to the attacks, or in this case, a tittle, but that doesn't have a real translation for Yugioh..... it wouldn't work.

Other than that there isn't much more nowadays. Things like double attackers, multi-attackers, don't have enough members to warrant it. Special Summon monsters cannot shorten it because they still need to address their specific method in full. Attackers in defense position could technically get one technically. Special Summon from the Graveyard could simply be "Revive" since it is actually a very common effect....... Finally, there could be ideas in the future like for example, monsters that can target other monsters you control for attacks.... little things like that, but many of those are arguable since they might very well be single archetype ideas... then again, so are some of the actual Sub-types we already have....

In short, I like the idea of Keywords...

Archived