I did say I liked the idea [Galactic Fusion]

Blake

gea3nO7.jpg
This card's name is always treated as "Polymerization". Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand as Fusion Materials. If you Fusion Summon a monster: You can banish this card and 1 Fusion Material Monster that was used for a Fusion Summon from your Graveyard; Draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Galactic Fusion" once per turn.

Credit to Zero Chill/Lonk for the base idea, I just felt like expanding on it.

Not strictly superior to Polymerization, and the latter effect shuts off the +1 support Polymerization has.

Wasn't sure how to word the last effect, so went with that to be safe.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Harpie_Channeler

Found it. Not exactly the same, but it is named "Harpie Lady" when it uses it.

I'd say the OPT Polymerization restriction would be better off using this card's printed name instead. It'd be the only card I know of that has an OPT clause like that, where the original counterpart is not limited at all, and that is weird. Probably nitpicking but that's about the only complaint I have. The card is ok, and it would have been nice to see this kind of variants back in the old days before they thought about Miracle Fusions and whatnot. 

Oh, well, yeah, there's the part where it only fused from the hand. That takes away some potential chances to use it, like giving a purpose to a revived material, but I suppose it can still fulfill its job.... It wouldn't be problematic if it was a strictly better Poly like that, but I guess your idea is to not have Poly outclassed.

The latter effect is worded accurately. The Fusion Summon is performed as part of the card effect. Once the Fusion Summon completes and the Chain is emptied (this card's usually Link 1 anyway), the game state still remains closed to check if the Fusion Summon triggers anything. As the turn player, you then have the opportunity to trigger that second effect since, barring any other existing card effects, all the prerequisites are in the Graveyard. The way it's worded would also prevent missing the timing, if that's of any relevance.

Restricting to the hand cuts off enough accessibility that it can fairly compete with the original Poly, while the extra draw-1 effect is a fair tradeoff for said restriction. Would really make people think between running this and the original when building the Deck.

I'd say the OPT Polymerization restriction would be better off using this card's printed name instead. It'd be the only card I know of that has an OPT clause like that, where the original counterpart is not limited at all, and that is weird. Probably nitpicking but that's about the only complaint I have. The card is ok, and it would have been nice to see this kind of variants back in the old days before they thought about Miracle Fusions and whatnot. 

Oh, well, yeah, there's the part where it only fused from the hand. That takes away some potential chances to use it, like giving a purpose to a revived material, but I suppose it can still fulfill its job.... It wouldn't be problematic if it was a strictly better Poly like that, but I guess your idea is to not have Poly outclassed.

I'm not really sure. According to the gamestate, its name is Polymerization, so using this card's name wouldn't matter... But then again, the effect name of Number 69 doesn't change with its name... I have no idea x-x

Though, I just remembered harpie channeler, and she says Harpie Channeler. Good to know now, cause you made me remember that somehow. So I'll change that.

That type of design is wrong, even if not problematic. In YGO, without "mana" costs like Magic/Pokemon/whatever, it's hard to not make something strictly better in design because the types of cost in YGO either make or break a card completely.

The latter effect is worded accurately. The Fusion Summon is performed as part of the card effect. Once the Fusion Summon completes and the Chain is emptied (this card's usually Link 1 anyway), the game state still remains closed to check if the Fusion Summon triggers anything. As the turn player, you then have the opportunity to trigger that second effect since, barring any other existing card effects, all the prerequisites are in the Graveyard. The way it's worded would also prevent missing the timing, if that's of any relevance.

Restricting to the hand cuts off enough accessibility that it can fairly compete with the original Poly, while the extra draw-1 effect is a fair tradeoff for said restriction. Would really make people think between running this and the original when building the Deck.

I meant the once per turn clause, I know the actual secondary effect clause was more-or-less correct.

I'm not really sure. According to the gamestate, its name is Polymerization, so using this card's name wouldn't matter... But then again, the effect name of Number 69 doesn't change with its name... I have no idea x-x

Though, I just remembered harpie channeler, and she says Harpie Channeler. Good to know now, cause you made me remember that somehow. So I'll change that.

I did think about that (well, I thought of Harpie Dancer, but both have an OPT clause), but the difference is that both Dancer and Channeler are treated as Harpie Lady by an effect, and only while in the field or grave, unlike the other sisters (#1, #2, etc.) who are treated as Harpie Lady by a rule/PSCT. So, this card's case remains unique.

I think going for "Polymerization" is safer because, taking the PSCT literally, this card is always treated as Poly, so a card named as "Galactic Fusion" technically doesn't exist, and thus any restriction on "Galactic Fusion" wouldn't apply. Just to put an example of this: if you called "Galactic Fusion" with cards such as "Prohibition", as far as I know, it wouldn't stop either player from using this card.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, Konami's version feels more balanced because it takes materials from the field, and thus you must somehow summon them first, and you get the card draw once the Fusion hits the grave, if it ever does, or if another Fusion Monster was already there.

It doesn't make the fact that both you and, to an extent, Zero Chill/Lonk called an alternate Poly with a "draw 1 card" effect any less amazing, though.

To be honest, Konami's version feels more balanced because it takes materials from the field, and thus you must somehow summon them first, and you get the card draw once the Fusion hits the grave, if it ever does, or if another Fusion Monster was already there.

It doesn't make the fact that both you and, to an extent, Zero Chill/Lonk called an alternate Poly with a "draw 1 card" effect any less amazing, though.

Between Pendulum Summon, E-HERO Blazeman, and Furnimal Owl, I'd say the opposite; Using the hand requires you to garner resources and not play a better Fusion card (G-K Fusion, Shaddoll Fusion).

By summoning a monster to search this card/pendulum summoning to get more value off of the summon because they go to the ED instead of the grave, you are, in essence, making it harder to be live. This won't always be the case, but it easily can be.

This one may have more combo potential and be more live in general, but with the direction the game is going, this one is less effective than its IRL counterpart.

Points taken. It is true that some Fusion Materials are easier to put on the field than on the hand, and by taking materials from the hand you can't use that Normal Summoned Blazeman/Owl as Fusion Material with this card, nor use Pendulums from the Extra Deck as materials.

But as you already pointed out in the TCG thread, this is basically the inverse of Konami's version, so I guess it has different applications, niches, etc.

Archived