CC Moderation Vote

Night

My vote is: No.

Whether or not Striker is a good mod is irrelevant at this point. He's obviously done something, what I don't know and to quite frank don't fucking care to know, in the past that has caused such a stigma against him that he's lost the respect of much of the member base, and a leader with no respect isn't an effective leader, because nobody gives a shit about what he has to say because they already have a bias dislike towards him. Whatever he did to become hated, was obviously severe enough to carry through to the present day, and it doesn't matter whether or not he has changed or not he's tarnished his own name, and therefore damaged his ability irreparably to change the site other than his one section for the positive.

Tbh he can't just be a support mod for 1v1 I mean that really doesn't help the section improve as from what I've read Saber and Zextra are busy with irl complications, then that leaves only Sakura to take care of everything and were hardly better than were we left off. To be perfectly honest though at this point I feel there's no saving CC as anybody who gave even a remote shit about it has jumped ship, because of the quality of the cards posted on there.

Finally to address the "potato incident" imo he shouldn't have tampered with the image at all, because I've seen alot meaner things come out of the CC and OCG sections that have received no attention.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But background isn't enough, and "support mod" is such a load of crap.

CC doesn't need support. It has nothing but support moderators atm, from what I see. And the only one that actually does anything beyond filing reports (which I cannot see) is Saber... who seems to be busy in real life and as such can't do much.

Sakura doesn't do anything, really, and from what I've been told is kept for their ability to help with the server/CPs. Striker doesn't do anything bar Leaderboard (and for the claim it's improved, I would love to see some example of this), Saber's not incredibly active, Zextra's not active.

So the whole CC Mod election thing did nothing but get us exactly where we started, but with 2 mods who do next to nothing for CC and 2 mods who aren't active enough. Managing reports is important, but that doesn't even seem to be a major issue anymore. So what's needed is a leader. Instead we got... "support Zextra, oh ye of little to no design knowledge!" because the two mods with half an idea aren't around much.

Like, "support" seriously boils down to "manage reports", in this case, given how vague Striker was. Locking threads as well, but...

You're mods. This whole "you were elected to support" is bull. CC doesn't need "support moderators". It needs leaders. And the section does not have leaders, but instead mods that don't really know which way is up or down in moderating CC. If you cannot lead the section, as all moderators should aim to do (Zextra being the technical leader doesn't make you any less a leader, and if the rest of the mods fed you that bull then I apologize on their behalf), then you shouldn't be a moderator. Plain and simple.

Then the "but what has he done wrong?" argument doesn't hold up. Doing nothing (again, barring reports) is akin to inactivity. If you demote inactive mods, why would demoting a mod who does nothing be any different?

Honestly, I think the biggest issue here is that the mod team even gave Striker power. Despite his insistence on credit for the leaderboard, I think not putting him into the spotlight would have been better for him. No, he's not the worst member ever... But he's not a good moderator. The community has minimal respect for him and shoving him into the moderating position took respect from him because he started acting as if he deserved respect. And what merits did he have to get the position? The leaderboard he constantly touted as some major achievement. It's a cool idea. It gets flak for still being bad, but that could've changed with time... But it hadn't changed either before or after Striker became a mod. It's the same swill.

Promoting him as a moderator has only worsened the forum. It has caused the members to lose even more faith in a mod team who was already on the edge of being completely hated due to the conduct or lack thereof with many of its staff members. Even the mods people thought were good before are just seen as "oh look, another corrupt leader that doesn't listen to a word we say". I think maybe 1-2 have any respect left from the community's older members and members in the know. I've got a small number more, but not many.

I can honestly say that the mod team, as it is, makes me miss Pika being a moderator. You know, the one I tried to get demoted, and in doing so got demoted? I at least knew Pika had the best intentions for the forum at heart, even if clothed in a major power trip.

"You made a snowman, here have a plow!"

Does that sound logical? At all? That just sounds like the person in power will, rather than use it effectively, announce their authority over everyone's snowmen and respect or pay... Which kinda happened.

I think that if you let him continue to try to earn respect by trying to polish the leaderboard more and more instead of handing him a position where he would feel like he deserved it suddeny would have done both him and the site so much more good. Instead you people promoted him on what I can only guess to be impulse. And look where it got you. Instead of listening to the member base, you insisted that he deserved it for one half decent idea.  But wait... that's not why...

I apologize to Striker that he was promoted in an experiment to prove the memberbase wrong about him as a moderator, instead of on his merits, as I have been informed. I really do think you would have been better off if you refined yourself some more before ever coming close to power. I mean, J-Max is improving rapidly, and I had figured he was thousands of miles past hopeless, so surely you can, too. Being promoted at this time was completely unfair to you, and the moderators who did such should be ashamed they did that to you.

Thank you. This is the type of insight I've been looking for since this situation began. It's so hard to get to the core when so much is obscured by vague rationale and blatant bias.

I have no idea what your sources are in terms of what the CC mods do or don't do. I can't refute the claims on the basis that I don't know the information, either. CC is not my area of interest, so I rely on feedback from members or other mods when it comes to judging the quality or lack of. Of course, I think we can agree that Zextra's inactivity, temporary or otherwise, is why we were looking for CC mods in the first place.

"Support" in this context is indeed for the menial things like locking threads, etc. The appeal to Striker at the time was he had good ideas on how to improve the section, but lacked the oomph needed to convince me that he should be given the reins to the section as a main mod. I was the one who initially labeled him as having potential as a supporting mod, and my own choice of label is what convinced me to give him the chance when the subject came up regarding a potential third promotion. 

You make a comment about Striker "started acting like he deserved respect". I'm afraid I don't follow this. I haven't seen an example of this behavior or attitude change, but then again, I don't see the need to argue over viewpoints, seeing as I already confessed to being all but oblivious to the CC section.

The real fascination your wall of text gave me is less about Striker and more about the mod team in general. I'm admittedly fascinated by feedback with rationale behind it, as it allows me to reflect on things more to see the opposing viewpoint. Here you mention members beginning to view mods as akin to corrupt leaders. A...harsh analogy, I feel. Not listening, on the other hand, is a legit concern and one I can understand.

Looking back at the discussion involving the CC mod promotions, I can actually agree: Striker's promotion was essentially impulse. It was handled and discussed dreadfully, and even then, we acknowledged the potential for massive backlash, but considered the potential exceeded the risk factor. Perhaps it was a naive hope, or simply rushed through to passing without serious consideration. I can plainly admit that it was poor decision, and mishandled at best.

But background isn't enough, and "support mod" is such a load of crap.

CC doesn't need support. It has nothing but support moderators atm, from what I see. And the only one that actually does anything beyond filing reports (which I cannot see) is Saber... who seems to be busy in real life and as such can't do much.

Sakura doesn't do anything, really, and from what I've been told is kept for their ability to help with the server/CPs. Striker doesn't do anything bar Leaderboard (and for the claim it's improved, I would love to see some example of this), Saber's not incredibly active, Zextra's not active.

So the whole CC Mod election thing did nothing but get us exactly where we started, but with 2 mods who do next to nothing for CC and 2 mods who aren't active enough. Managing reports is important, but that doesn't even seem to be a major issue anymore. So what's needed is a leader. Instead we got... "support Zextra, oh ye of little to no design knowledge!" because the two mods with half an idea aren't around much.

Like, "support" seriously boils down to "manage reports", in this case, given how vague Striker was. Locking threads as well, but...

You're mods. This whole "you were elected to support" is bull. CC doesn't need "support moderators". It needs leaders. And the section does not have leaders, but instead mods that don't really know which way is up or down in moderating CC. If you cannot lead the section, as all moderators should aim to do (Zextra being the technical leader doesn't make you any less a leader, and if the rest of the mods fed you that bull then I apologize on their behalf), then you shouldn't be a moderator. Plain and simple.

Then the "but what has he done wrong?" argument doesn't hold up. Doing nothing (again, barring reports) is akin to inactivity. If you demote inactive mods, why would demoting a mod who does nothing be any different?

Honestly, I think the biggest issue here is that the mod team even gave Striker power. Despite his insistence on credit for the leaderboard, I think not putting him into the spotlight would have been better for him. No, he's not the worst member ever... But he's not a good moderator. The community has minimal respect for him and shoving him into the moderating position took respect from him because he started acting as if he deserved respect. And what merits did he have to get the position? The leaderboard he constantly touted as some major achievement. It's a cool idea. It gets flak for still being bad, but that could've changed with time... But it hadn't changed either before or after Striker became a mod. It's the same swill.

Promoting him as a moderator has only worsened the forum. It has caused the members to lose even more faith in a mod team who was already on the edge of being completely hated due to the conduct or lack thereof with many of its staff members. Even the mods people thought were good before are just seen as "oh look, another corrupt leader that doesn't listen to a word we say". I think maybe 1-2 have any respect left from the community's older members and members in the know. I've got a small number more, but not many.

I can honestly say that the mod team, as it is, makes me miss Pika being a moderator. You know, the one I tried to get demoted, and in doing so got demoted? I at least knew Pika had the best intentions for the forum at heart, even if clothed in a major power trip.

"You made a snowman, here have a plow!"

Does that sound logical? At all? That just sounds like the person in power will, rather than use it effectively, announce their authority over everyone's snowmen and respect or pay... Which kinda happened.

I think that if you let him continue to try to earn respect by trying to polish the leaderboard more and more instead of handing him a position where he would feel like he deserved it suddeny would have done both him and the site so much more good. Instead you people promoted him on what I can only guess to be impulse. And look where it got you. Instead of listening to the member base, you insisted that he deserved it for one half decent idea.  But wait... that's not why...

I apologize to Striker that he was promoted in an experiment to prove the memberbase wrong about him as a moderator, instead of on his merits, as I have been informed. I really do think you would have been better off if you refined yourself some more before ever coming close to power. I mean, J-Max is improving rapidly, and I had figured he was thousands of miles past hopeless, so surely you can, too. Being promoted at this time was completely unfair to you, and the moderators who did such should be ashamed they did that to you.

I like this, but you missed defining what a leader should do. Evilfusion doesn't change TCG, but most people would agree Evilfusion is going fine. 

Yes.

The amount of hostility that's been risen shouldn't be ignored. But I know Striker and I know he does care for the site and always wanted to become a mod in order to better the place.

I believe if he can earn a second chance here, after seeing the reasoning behind everyone saying he's bad, then he'll clean his act up and learn from what happened here to make a renewed and better effort in modding CC.

Plus, I think I recall someone somewhere saying Saber and Sakura mentioned it being nice to have him around to pick up the slack.

In which case, if he is demodded, there should probably be someone else to take his spot.

Yes.

The amount of hostility that's been risen shouldn't be ignored. But I know Striker and I know he does care for the site and always wanted to become a mod in order to better the place.

I believe if he can earn a second chance here, after seeing the reasoning behind everyone saying he's bad, then he'll clean his act up and learn from what happened here to make a renewed and better effort in modding CC.

Plus, I think I recall someone somewhere saying Saber and Sakura mentioned it being nice to have him around to pick up the slack.

In which case, if he is demodded, there should probably be someone else to take his spot.

As a bit of clarification, if Striker does get demoted (which appears to be the majority opinion right now) and we really need that support mod to fill in while Zex/Saber/myself are away, I have a few suggestions in mind for a potential replacement; mentioned one or two of them originally when the idea was brought up.

I recall Aix saying at one point that he'd be willing to watch over it for a bit, had mine and .Saber's promotions not occurred.

I'll be honest, I don't know Striker.  At all.  Like, before today, I'm pretty sure I didn't even know he existed in the first place.  Which means all I really know about him is what's discussed in this thread.  He's a CC mod who has put most - if not all - of his modding efforts in the direction of the 1v1 threads, he's responsible for the Leaderboard, and it seems there was some incident in the past involving him and a potato.  Could somebody please enlighten me on this infamous potato incident we're all bringing up?

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/321599-serious-the-traps-ama/page-2 (Incident started over here)

After checking the Link for the Potato thing, I am not a bit confused. Striker just asked nicely to take it down and didn't explode. This is what I get from looking at things at face value.

My thoughts still stand on Striker as a Mod though. Needs to give the rest of the section some love even if he is a "Support" Mod, which is a dumb term by the way. Either you are a Moderator or you are not.

To be honest, some of the other mods, including myself, didn't know what happened initially. I only saw that one thread of Dae posting Striker as a potato and the follow-up things; didn't see the original one that sparked this whole incident.

It was only a few days ago that we found out where the offending post that started this whole mess was. And yes, Striker simply asked Hina to take it down and refrain from making further jokes about the matter; no drama, just a simple request.

I can't say for certain that people will change their minds about Striker, now that some evidence regarding the start of this has been given, but there's one more thing you can factor into your decisions, whatever they may be.

My thoughts still stand on Striker as a Mod though. Needs to give the rest of the section some love even if he is a "Support" Mod, which is a dumb term by the way. Either you are a Moderator or you are not.

From what I've heard, he does work with the others on the rest of the section. He's just more public about the 1v1 stuff.

After seeing the post about the potato incident I'd like to redact that part of my argument, but my opinion still stands in the fact that he is not respected, and therefore cannot be an effective mod.

Why? If he tells someone to not break a rule and they go "Lol, you're Striker, I don't respect you so nope." Then they are an idiot. Unless you mean something else, if so sorry.

From what I've heard, he does work with the others on the rest of the section. He's just more public about the 1v1 stuff.

Why? If he tells someone to not break a rule and they go "Lol, you're Striker, I don't respect you so nope." Then they are an idiot. Unless you mean something else, if so sorry.

No not that, I'm talking more about trying to implement stuff, or improve the forum. Any changes or suggestions he makes to improve the forum would automatically be met with a predominantly negative opinion, and could very be dismissed by the members just because he's Striker. I mean he can't improve the forum if people don't give a crap about what he says. Really I think the best good Striker could do is as a member and just leave 1v1 to him, and promote a 1) someone who's active in CC 2) well versed in good card making and lore 3) cares about the section 4) is popular among the members.

No not that, I'm talking more about trying to implement stuff, or improve the forum. Any changes or suggestions he makes to improve the forum would automatically be met with a predominantly negative opinion, and could very be dismissed by the members just because he's Striker. I mean he can't improve the forum if people don't give a crap about what he says. Really I think the best good Striker could do is as a member and just leave 1v1 to him, and promote a 1) someone who's active in CC 2) well versed in good card making and lore 3) cares about the section 4) is popular among the members.

That is the most back-asswards argument I've ever read.

If his very valid ideas are being rejected on the sole basis that he is Striker, that does not make him unfit to be a mod. It makes the userbase a horrible shithole.

Moderatorship is NOT a popularity contest and your reasoning is trying to make it exactly that. Being liked is not a requisite for moderating a forum, being good at moderating and looking out for the improvement of the forum is. Striker meets both of these conditions. If Striker isn't being respected despite doing everything to deserve it, that is not his fault and he should not be punished for it. Instead, we need to more actively communicate that Striker just isnt the same person he was back then, and thus at the very least doesn't deserve absolute disrespect.

If his very valid ideas are being rejected on the sole basis that he is Striker, that does not make him unfit to be a mod. It makes the userbase a horrible shithole.

Moderatorship is NOT a popularity contest and your reasoning is trying to make it exactly that. Being liked is not a requisite for moderating a forum, being good at moderating and looking out for the improvement of the forum is. Striker meets both of these conditions. If Striker isn't being respected despite doing everything to deserve it, that is not his fault and he should not be punished for it. Instead, we need to more actively communicate that Striker just isnt the same person he was back then, and thus at the very least doesn't deserve absolute disrespect.

Sure modship isn't a popularity contest, but they should be someone well liked in the community (of course being able to do their job properly first and foremost) so that when they are given that power it doesn't come as big "fuck you memberbase we don't give a shit about your feelings or what you think!"

Sure modship isn't a popularity contest, but they should be someone well liked in the community (of course being able to do their job properly first and foremost) so that when they are given that power it doesn't come as big "f*** you memberbase we don't give a s*** about your feelings or what you think!"

While I don't agree with Duston's reasoning (That Striker deserves respect. Of course hardly anyone I think deserves respect to be fair.) I do have to admit that I don't quite get your reasoning.

I don't think it comes off as a "fuck you" simply because they didn't choose him or not choose him based on people's feelings about him. They chose him cause they thought that he could do the job. As long as he does it (Which the other mods have confirmed he does) it should be fine.

And your two posts are the most biased posts I've seen in this thread.

What very valid ideas? This is the problem. Even if he has them, even if he scraped up the respect for them, where are they? If he's not a member who deserves respect and hasn't proven that he deserves the respect that comes with the position, why should he be respected or taken seriously?

You have YET to supply proof for any of your statements, as opposed to past experience supplied by many members and the lack of doing anything bar reports/Leaderboard stuff that are apparent. Striker has in no way shown himself to be good at moderating nor has he shown to be looking out for the improvement of the forum; Only the leaderboard/1v1 which are, at the core, his entire ego on the site.

It's common knowledge that the "potato" bullshit was overblown, but that doesn't change the core issue. This was merely what brought it to light. And "but the very reason he's on the block is a flaw" isn't an argument when this has been an issue for three months that the mod team had totally avoided until now.

He hasn't changed. He's never changed. The fact that your argument boils down to "people change", yet you refuse to defend your points is reason enough to spell out how your points aren't holding any weight. 

I'm not even giving him "absolute disrespect". In fact, if you read above, I did give him respect as a human being. Do I have to respect him as a mod? Hell no.

Thank you. This is the type of insight I've been looking for since this situation began. It's so hard to get to the core when so much is obscured by vague rationale and blatant bias.

I have no idea what your sources are in terms of what the CC mods do or don't do. I can't refute the claims on the basis that I don't know the information, either. CC is not my area of interest, so I rely on feedback from members or other mods when it comes to judging the quality or lack of. Of course, I think we can agree that Zextra's inactivity, temporary or otherwise, is why we were looking for CC mods in the first place.

"Support" in this context is indeed for the menial things like locking threads, etc. The appeal to Striker at the time was he had good ideas on how to improve the section, but lacked the oomph needed to convince me that he should be given the reins to the section as a main mod. I was the one who initially labeled him as having potential as a supporting mod, and my own choice of label is what convinced me to give him the chance when the subject came up regarding a potential third promotion. 

You make a comment about Striker "started acting like he deserved respect". I'm afraid I don't follow this. I haven't seen an example of this behavior or attitude change, but then again, I don't see the need to argue over viewpoints, seeing as I already confessed to being all but oblivious to the CC section.

The real fascination your wall of text gave me is less about Striker and more about the mod team in general. I'm admittedly fascinated by feedback with rationale behind it, as it allows me to reflect on things more to see the opposing viewpoint. Here you mention members beginning to view mods as akin to corrupt leaders. A...harsh analogy, I feel. Not listening, on the other hand, is a legit concern and one I can understand.

Looking back at the discussion involving the CC mod promotions, I can actually agree: Striker's promotion was essentially impulse. It was handled and discussed dreadfully, and even then, we acknowledged the potential for massive backlash, but considered the potential exceeded the risk factor. Perhaps it was a naive hope, or simply rushed through to passing without serious consideration. I can plainly admit that it was poor decision, and mishandled at best.

The information is the forum itself. I won't claim to know reports, and from the sounds of it Striker does take care of them, but that's not enough. He sticks to his corner and tinkers around in it.

And I know. I'm the one that made the thread saying we needed new Mods. It just didn't work out best for the section at all. (And no, I don't mean me. If I'd been offered the position, I planned to throw it back and say eff off, and I told multiple people such.)

I should not have said "starting". The issue is that Striker never changed. The moment the leaderboard took off at all, he started touting his baby as a reason for respect. He got none because, as activity inspiring as it was, it was the same low quality as ever. Giving him a mod title was the same thing. He still acts like he deserves respect for simply being a mod/leaderboard, and the mods basically encouraged this by giving him the position when his only achievement of note was the leaderboard.

He still doesn't have that oomph, but now he has been given a reason to believe he does. I've yet to see an idea of his for RC work/even show up, outside of the Leaderboard, which brings us back around to the fact that he just has powers to manage a thread/system he had total control over anyways. Promoting someone for menial work makes no sense. If that's what you wanted, why not just make Damage Control moderators? Those are still in the system, to my knowledge, and are just restricted Moderators to do what's needed and nothing more. This seems much more fitting for Striker AND Sakura, though I don't feel that Striker should have a position of power yet, anyways.

I thank you for the honesty. Knowing that someone on the mod team is man enough to admit their mistakes makes me feel a lot better about the mod team, even if most of it is... Outdated and/or not what the site needs. At nicest.

As for the leader point:
This is what RC needs. Someone to take their hand, encourage them with good design over bad, and so on. It doesn't need "janitors" that come around, clean messes, do rounds, and then sit back. It needs someone to teach them and unite them, if only a bit.

The issue is that it's a gateway to the forums for new members. You cannot change new members, which was something I tried too hard to do in my day. They do need to be filtered to reduce the spammy and overall useless comments, but you can't be too harsh on the newbies.

You can, however, change existing members. They are and will be around, so they're there for molding... when our moderators don't understand how to better educate them due to a fundamental lack of design knowledge. 

The mod team refused to see this side of the argument, but when you consider that Koko and I are often credited with CC's best days, you have to wonder why; Despite my harsh approach, for example, I knew what I was doing. I knew the design for the most part, I knew when something had potential/was doomed. Koko knew better than me, but was more the "leader" of the two of us. I did much more of the grunt work due to more time on my hands, but she was the legionnaire of our pair. We could have been a bit less strict overall, but the standards were still at their best.

You can't expect CC to be perfect by any means, but leaving it an ill informed pile of, pardon my French, s*** is no better. Striker and Sakura (seeing as they're the most active CC Mods) both lack fundamental understandings of design. I've seen both of them make bad designed card after bad designed card; Hell, Striker made a better Deep Sea Diva and Sakura made a 3 Mat R4 that outclassed most of the existing ones in an instant with being power.

Sakura, at least, uses their lack of meta knowledge to defend their inability to lead the section, even though design is far deeper than the meta. They also act as if being overpowered is the only type of bad design.

Striker... I forget what he used to say about his designs, but meh. He has consistently made badly designed cards due to either not limiting enough or not doing enough; generally the former.

And CC is going to continue to suffer from being a shithole while mods that don't know what they're doing in design run it. Yeah, it's hard to find mods who have half an iota, but you found Saber, right? And Aix isn't the worst, despite not being the best.

And even then, the mods could still learn... But I haven't seen them learn. They've never asked Koko or myself for help or advice, either as former moderators or card designers. You can apply this to the member gap, as well. And you know what, I'll apply the fact that I am in no way nice to the mod team as a whole to it. But Koko's there for the 3 non-Striker mods. We're even still in contact with Icy, so every relevant CC Mod is still in reach in some way or another. I'd be willing to help if they wanted it, but they don't.

JoshIcy and I both pinned extremely badly designed cards in the past. Why? To have people discuss them and figure out for themselves what all was wrong. The mod would guide them along when needed, but it was a way to encourage the community to improve on their own. I was more harsh to the original posters, and Icy was more lenient of the posts in the threads, but the overall idea was the same.

There are also CC tests; Cards with design flaws purposely put in, with the hopes that members understand why. They can get rewards for such, like reps or points, from the mod team for doing a good job. And they improve with time.

What we have now are inactive and/or unknowledgable moderators who aren't fit to lead the new members, much less older ones.

I can think of two members who would be better suited than Sakura right now: A Background Character/A Bloo Character and Voltex Curse.

Neither excel in design, but I see the both of them trying a lot. ABC is almost always on the spot, and he made the best post in RC in the last year. Voltex often messes up in design, if only in minor amounts, but he actively desires to learn what he's doing so that he may improve.

Both of them are far less than perfect designers, but I think they could handle the load, earn the respect needed, and grow alongside their community as card designers in order to improve the site. And I'mm sure that both of them are more than willing to ask for some help when they need it.

And perhaps moderators like that are for the better. In that they an stumble, they can make mistakes, but that makes them down to earth. And design isn't finite, despite some rather strong opinions that form over time. There are many constants, but there are just as many variables, and this is what makes design unique.

Zero Chill/Lonk designed cards that treat their name as polymerization for support purposes. Were they well designed? Hell no, but they put forward an intriguing idea to work with. And this can cause growth in the community if they realize this. Mods included.

And I understand that Sakura's more for mod utility in managing the server and whatnot, but that doesn't mean you can't do better for CC.

I just think that the choices for CC moderators were poor, especially Striker given exactly why he was elected in addition to who he is. He'd even be better as a General mod than CC, IMO.

At the end of the day, Striker is not what CC needs. He is not in a position to be respected, he is not in a position to improve the site, and he is not someone ready for power; Nay, he was harmed by it.

He just isn't the hero we truly want, need, or deserve.

I'm not going to vote simply because I know it would be accused of being biased, but I am going to make my opinion here clear.

Striker should not have been made a mod at this time. Maybe in the future he could, but at the moment, this was a huge oversight of the mod team and honestly, it should embarrassing to them that this decision was made. Striker is not in any position to handle modship. The level of respect he holds is minimal, his ability to make rational decisions is questionable, and he hasn't done much to claim that he earned the position.

That said, this is not Striker's fault. He's been doing better then he used to do by a landslide. His ability to handle himself HAS improved from the days I remember, and he's usually better at handling criticism. However, that does not mean he should be a mod by any means. Personally, I feel like the mods owe Striker an apology for putting him in the spotlight in a time that would only cause more harm to both his, and their, images.

To be quite frank, the rest of the mods have been discussing this for a while, and you are right about it being a stupid idea to promote Striker without much thought. After consideration, we thought the matter over and decided that it was, indeed, a premature promotion for him.

When the matter was brought up two months ago, we thought Striker would be able to handle being a support CC moderator and keep things in order (despite the backlash from the community as demonstrated here); that was certainly not the case in the end.

Reviewing this issue, Striker's promotion was rushed and not properly looked over like many mod appointments are, as in the case of .Saber and myself. In essence, it was more of a "let's promote Striker because he's familiar with CC" and less of "Is Striker capable of making rational decisions in keeping YCM/Custom Cards in line, while being able to garner respect from many of you who have doubts on him".

If it hasn't already been stated by himself earlier (or in the other thread), Striker is willing to step down as a moderator, should enough support be given in the issue. The testimony from the rest of you has certainly given a definite answer of how your opinion of Striker stands.

That being said, I don't intend to be the spokesperson for the rest of the mod team when I say this; I will defer any more in-depth comments on this issue to evilfusion and/or one of the more senior mods.

Should Striker remain a CC mod: Not only do I think Striker should remain a CC mod, but I think everyone who voted against him should be permabanned ;D

Serious answer: I don't really care, you shouldn't count my vote anyway since I don't know or care about this forum anymore.

I don't recall ever hearing a good reason as to why he should be banned. All I'm reading by barely skimming it is "The Potato Incident" and "He doesn't do enough".

The Potato Incident seems way overblown with everyone saying something else. It's all just hearsay and name calling, at best.

For "he doesn't do enough", what SPECIFICALLY! would you like done? And to follow up, have you told him or the other mods that you wanted this done?

Ultimately I don't care and nothing I say is gonna change anyone's mind. Just I guess... something to think about?

I'm probably going to get backlash for this, but it's important to think about what you all actually want out of CC and how you intend to get it.

The main argument for why Striker should be demodded is really that no one who wants him demodded felt that he should ever have been made mod in the first place.

In general, my opinion on the matter is that CC is a lost cause and anyone you could possibly put up for the position won't do much more than what the moderators clearly set as the job description and work requirements: moderate the section to make sure everyone is acting civilly and following the rules, just like any other moderator on this site. Nothing more.

There seems to be the opinion of several outspoken individuals that a mod needs to improve the section. Not as far as spamposts, rulebreaking etc., because that's what several of the mods are doing, but as in that the cards need to not be so shitty and the card makers need to learn how the yugioh meta works so that they don't keep making shitty cards. For a mod to do that, however, it's likely they'll need to be the one regularly commenting on all the threads and suggesting improvements, which means that they would both A.) require the knowledge and expertise to offer such critique and B.) be able to comment on basically every shitty thread that gets posted.

Now, it's possible you could get multiple members who know their s***, and multiple members who are willing to actively comment on everything in sight to help guide improvement, but how many members fall into the prior category and are willing to put in the time and effort needed to fall into section B as well? How many of those members would the memberbase be legitimately satisfied with while also capable of being trusted by the mod team to fulfill their duties without overstepping their authority? And are there enough possible mods you can name so as to lighten whatever burden there would be to actively comment on as many shitty threads as possible? Do they even want to be a mod? If not, then is there a way current mods can get them to comment in CC anyway? If so, then why hasn't anyone suggested such a way and why are such members not currently commenting there?

TBH, I don't think it is necessarily the moderator's job to improve the section directly, but rather indirectly, by essentially making an environment capable of improving the section by getting the knowledgable members into the section to improve the cardmaking skills of those who many members see as the detriment to CC. But how would one go about that, and is it possible to do it without just scaring off new members who post shitty cards because they're new? And if it's possible to get members, even those who are only mildly knowledgable on the meta, to consistently comment on a section in desperate need of it, then why hasn't it been done already? How would any of you go about doing it? If someone's tried, why hasn't it worked? And do you legitimately think there are specific members on this site whom you can point to to make this sort of improvement a reality in a way that will truly satisfy you, and, again, is a member who actually wants to be a mod?

Because I sure as hell don't.

And as much as I disagree with the decision to make Striker a mod in the first place, I can't honestly say I have reason for him being demodded.

*logical points*

I agree. Basically, my opinion on the matter is this. Frankly this potato incident is not the first time a mod has overstepped their bounds. I recall a few months ago there was issus with mods locking threads with little reason. The thing is, when that happened, nobody caledfor anybody to be demoted. Why? Because they weren't Striker.

Having low opinion of somebody does not mean in any way that you should hold them to higher tandards than the rest. That is literally setting them up to fail. At this point, I believe that Striker could do a better job as a mod if he weren't so busy having s*** flung at him by the populace.

My vote: He should stay.

Let's take the shit slinging out of the equlasion as I believe that people are using this as an excuse to let Striker get away with things. Let's pretend that Striker was made a Mod by his own Merit. What exactly has Striker done for CC? When Sakura and aber teamed up, things were done. The Rules were worked on and even expanded to cover PC (I am very happy for this btw), finally got rid of the cancer that was Joke Cards (well moved them out of AoC at least) and Sakura especially, I have seen a lot of activity from him. 

Now let's look at Striker. Since his Promotion, I have seen him nowehere but 1v1. Sure this isn't a problem persay as he does keep the place tidy and well looked after (See? I complimented Striker, I am not a Tyrant). However he was assigned as a "Backup" Mod. The term should not even be used. When I was promoted back in the day, I had reigns over Pop Culture but asked almost immidiately for the whole section to cover. I didn't want to see other sections go to Shit just because I could only do one section.

I will admit that Striker has done a good job on his section but its not enough. If he had shown more love for the other parts of CC, my vote would have been different. But take the Shit slinging out of the equasion and we have a 1 Trick Pony. Sorry Striker... 

Almost all of Agro's point completely fails in the fave of the fact that Koko and I /did/ improve CC, if only a bit. It reverted without a form hand continuing to guide it, but it did improve for a time.

Like, did no one in the past few posts read my post? Because you keep rehashing points I already tackled.

Also, no one is holding Striker to higher standards. If you think they are, get your head out of your ass.

I'm just really annoyed that you people are ignoring a completely logical post in favor of stating either the same thing or incorrect things over and over.

Archived