[Sakura] Shuîrán

Flash Flyer - Sakura

pPNL5Sf.jpg

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 2 Wyrm-Type monsters in your Graveyard. When this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent. If another face-up Wyrm-Type monster you control would be destroyed by battle or by an opponent's card effect, you can destroy this card instead.

Basically, a Wyrm-Type (or Genryu) that can SSed by banishing 2 dead ones in your Graveyard. It can sacrifice itself to save another Wyrm if one should die by your opponent's hand and pierces on its own when needed.

(Name is derived from the Chinese word for "water" and a corrupted version of the word for "dragon")

Also meant to be my comeback card for RC; won't discuss the last one because it's not worth mentioning anymore.

IMG Credit: http://draconity.yolasite.com/resources/Water_Dragon_by_yapi.jpg

This one should be much better.

Anyway, please CnC.

Reps will be provided for properly-written comments.

Your last effect is not Trigger, even if you want it to be.  It's continuous.  

If another Wyrm-Type monster you control would be destroyed by an opponent's card (either by battle or a card effect): You can destroy this card instead.

If another face-up Wyrm-Type monster you control would be destroyed by battle or by an opponent's card effect, you can destroy this card instead.  

Even if it didn't have have the protection effect it's a very VERY easy SS of a Level 6 2300 Beaters.  The card is good, balanced, and very so usable.  

I don't know how much Yang Zings would use this card (the only Wyrm-Type in existence as of now).  The Level goes well with Jitou as you can SS Baxia and Beelze (or any other generic Synch :cool:.  With Chiwen it could make Yazi or any other Generic Synch 7.  It's more live late game, and would probably be used 1-2 if at all in Yang Zings.  The protection effect is however completely useless for Yang Zing for obv reasons.  

As of now, I see very little play with this card.  But it's good, so it will probably see play in many other Wyrm Decks in the near or even distant future, ones that want to protect their monster and not destroy them lol.   

Technically speaking, it's supposed to be a standalone Wyrm, but Yang Zings might be able to put it to some use (not really sure how either).

As you mentioned, it's more of a late-game thing; whether or not you need a quick monster to attack/defend your LP; use as Synchro bait for your Extra Deck or a Rank 6 [though Wyrms lack any Xyz right now]

As for the protection effect, yeah I screwed up on the OCG, but I intended for it to be continuous. Yang Zings are the only Wyrm-based Archetype in existence right now; hopefully Secrets of Evolution releases some more of them (probably will), so this card has more uses for play.

Again, thanks for commenting.

Think I'm happy about how this turned out so far; at least it's relatively fair for what it does.

For now it will most likely be used in a "Yang Zing" Deck, since those are basically the the only usable Wyrm-Type monsters. Futhermore, due to the speed at which "Yang Zing" monsters can fill up the Graveyard, this card can easily be Special Summoned mid and late-game, maybe even early game (a Synchro Summon with "Yang Zing" only monsters, your opponent destroyed 2 of your monsters last turn). Not to mention the fact that all "Yang Zing" monsters replace themselves when destroyed, so you can even Tribute Summon it if the need arises (though I wonder when that will be the case). 

As has already been said, in most cases you would rather have your "Yang Zing" monsters destroyed; but there is a Wyrm-Type monster you might want to protect: "Yazi, Wickedness of Yang Zing". It already has targeting protection, and based on the Synchro Materials, can be protected against Spell and/or Trap cards as well as battle. This card can protect that monster in the odd case your opponent would destroy it with a non-targeting monster effect. Also, due to this card destroying itself, "Yang Zing Creation" can replace it when it protects one of your Wyrm-Types. 

But enough about "Yang Zing". From the few other Wyrm-support cards (as well as their names), we can infer that they are somewhat related to Dragon-Type monsters. I am refering to "Xyz-Ray Pierce" and "Dracocension". These might, however, be the only cards that relate Dragons to Wyrms; but I have a feeling it becomes more of a Fish, Sea Serpent, and/or Aqua relation, but only time will tell. Either way, you might want to include Dragon-Type monters in its effect; either for its summoning, protection or both (though the latter 2 might be pushing it).

Due to this card having 1600 DEF (why not 1510), "Unmasked Dragon" cannot Special Summon it; quite a shame, but maybe it is better that way. Lastly you can treat your monsters as Wyrm-Types with "DNA Surgery" or "Spring of Dragon Souls", so this card can protect any monster you control. In case of the latter this card can protect the Special Summoned monter when "Spring of the Dragon Souls" is removed from the field. 

Even with all the above, I cannot really give a real indication for how strong or weak this card is; just because we do not yet have a lot Wyrm-Type monsters. Though I do think that this card is alright as it is, since I don't expect Yu-Gi-Oh! to release a card that combos far too well with this card.

Though I could not really give you any suggestions to improve this card, I do hope you have some usage for my vision on it.

I did consider it supporting Dragons, but given that they already have a great deal of support as is, I opted not to give Dragons more support than they already got.

But yes, Yang Zings are the only Deck that'll be running this card (if ever); until more Wyrm Archetypes are released.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind for future fixes.

Wyrm/Genryu have only been out for the past two sets [or about 4-5 months], so yeah it's expected that not much is known about them, nor of any usable combinations.

That being said, you can either Tribute Summon this card manually, or banish things in a pinch for a quick wall (or monster that can take down moderate threats); factoring in an extra protection effect.

Won't elaborate on the Yang Zing part, but the hope is that they make more of them [Wyrms] in the future [which might happen].

Otherwise, should be simple enough.

Last time I checked, Wyrms don't really banish their stuff (I may be wrong though).

It is a possibility if they make a version of Eclipse Wyvern or something, yes, but we'll have to see what Secrets of Evolution has in store for us.

As mentioned multiple times already, given there's not too many Wyrms out there besides Yang Zings, it's hard to really determine a niche for this card's usage. Either it works as a standalone beater or as a quick Level 6, should it be required in a pinch or something.

Yeah, it would work in conjunction with stuff like that, though we don't mention those because they lack consistency.

If Wyrms get new cards that can work with Helios, Macro Cosmos or something along those lines, then we can potentially mention it.

Might be nice if SECE introduces something like that, but we'll have to see.

Anything else though (from other members)?

On the matter that Wyrm-Types banish cards, there currently are 3 cards that do something like that (in 1 case it is a drawback). You have:

Quite a substantial amount of banishing cards, especially when you take into account how little Wyrm-Type / Wyrm-Support has been released. That is not to say that it would be a good idea to run Wyrm-Types in a "Macro Cosmos" Deck, as the 'released' cards focus on controlled banishment; which "Macro Cosmos" does not. Also; banishing this card instead of destroying it, causes it to miss out on the goodies ("Supply Squad" and "Yang Zing Creation").

Another trait a 'lot' of Wyrm-Types seem to share is related to ATK and DEF:

• Main Deck "Yang Zing" monster have either 0 ATK or DEF;
  • "Lindbloom" has 0 ATK and causes monsters to use their DEF for attacks;
  • "Night Dragolich" has 0 DEF, and reduces the DEF of Special Summoned non-Wyrm-Type monsters by their DEF (essentially causing it to become 0).

Though I don't see how this card can blend in with that trend, without either becoming rather weak (lowering its ATK) or 'too' searchable (lowering DEF, and thusa target for "Unmasked Dragon").

Maybe these 'new' insights can help you refine this card. But as I have already stated, I think this card is good the way it is. What you do with this blabber is up to you, but I hope you have some usage for it.

Like the rest of your comments, I am taking them in consideration. (Again, I'm not familiar with everything Wyrms do at the moment, so I probably missed/overlooked things; in which case, I did in terms of overlooking their banishing stuff)

I might use your insights for a different Wyrm card in the future; possibly to go along with this card or combo with the existing stuff.

Archived