Mnemonics- Extra Deck Concept, Tweaks Appreciated

Draconus297

Okay, first and foremost, sorry for the lack of pretty pictures, but I can't do art. I'll describe as best I can.

I'm sure everyone remembers Toons, and what jerks they were back in the day- even to the person using them. A big problem was their reliance on a Spell Card that was too easy to send to the Graveyard.

Now what if (bear with me now) we designed an Extra Deck monster with a reliance on a specific Spell Card- one that wants to be in the Graveyard.
Meet Mnemonics.

Mnemonics, as far as monsters go, are really interesting in that they have no Level, no Rank, none of that. All Mnemonics are Level 0. In addition, you're not allowed to summon a Mnemonic unless the Spell Card "Remembrance" is in the Graveyard. The kicker: the combined Level of the monsters you send to the Graveyard is the number of Memory Counters on the Mnemonic monster you just summoned. All Mnemonics lose a Counter every Standby Phase, and some shed Counters to activate certain effects. Once a Mnemonic runs out of Counters, it banishes itself and anything else on the field. So, you can use low-level monsters for Mnemonic Summon to get rid of some card that's really pissing you off, or high-level monsters to give your Mnemonic staying power. It's your choice, really.

"Remembrance" and some example Mnemonics:

Remembrance
Spell Card
When this card is activated, send it to the Graveyard. While this card is in the Graveyard, its effects and the effects of Mnemonic monsters cannot be negated. Once per turn, you can send this card in your Graveyard to your Deck and banish 3 face-up monsters you control as Mnemonic Materials to Mnemonic Summon 1 Mnemonic Monster.

Nyx of the Night
DARK - Spellcaster/Mnemonic/Effect - ?/?
3 DARK Spellcaster-type monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and only if the Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon this card were all Spellcaster-Type monsters. This card's original ATK and DEF are each equal to the total respective ATK and DEF of the Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon it. While this card is face-up on the field, LIGHT monsters cannot be Summoned, and the effects of all LIGHT monsters on the field are negated. Once per turn, you may remove 1 Memory Counter from this card to add 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard, or that was banished, to your hand.

Typhon, the Original Monster
WATER - Fiend/Mnemonic/Effect - ?/?
3 Fiend-type monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. This monster's ATK and DEF are equal to the number of cards in the Graveyard and Banished Zone x500. If this monster deals more than 2000 damage during one Battle Phase, both players must discard all cards in their respective hands to the Graveyard. You may remove 3 Memory Counters from this card to allow it to attack again during the Battle Phase.

Supreme Draconic Paladin
LIGHT- Dragon/Mnemonic/Effect - 4000/3000
1 Spellcaster, 1 Warrior, and 1 Dragon-type monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. Once per turn, you may change the Type of this monster between Spellcaster, Warrior, or Dragon type. This monster gains 300 ATK and DEF times the number of monsters the same type as it is in the Graveyard and Banished Zone. This card cannot be destroyed or banished by the effects of Spell or Trap Cards. Once per turn, you may remove 6 Memory Counters from this card- select 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap). Your opponent discards cards from the top of their Deck to the Graveyard until they draw a card that matches the type of card you selected. If your opponent discards 10 or more cards by this card's effect, skip your next Standby Phase.

Limitless Slime
EARTH - Aqua/Mnemonic/Effect - 500/500
3 EARTH monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 500 for every Memory Counter on it. Every time a card effect is activated, place 1 Memory Counter on this card. You may remove up to 12 Memory Counters from this card to negate the effect of and banish 1 monster your opponent controls of a Level or Rank equal to the number of removed Counters. Once per Duel, if your opponent would activate a card effect that would cause you to lose the Duel, remove all Memory Counters from this card to end the Duel in a DRAW- you may only activate this effect if "Limitless Slime" has 15 or more Memory Counters on it.

Ireblaze, Protector of the Weak
FIRE - Warrior/Mnemonic/Effect - 4500/4500
3 Normal monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. If your opponent targets a monster on your side of the field with 1500 or less ATK for an attack or card effect, change the target to this card. If your opponent destroys a Normal monster on your side of the field, this monster may attack your opponent's Life Points directly during your next Battle Phase. Once per turn, you may remove 1 Memory Counter from this card to Special Summon 1 monster with 1000 or less ATK from your hand.

Crystallized Thought
WATER - Psychic/Mnemonic/Effect - 0/0
3 monsters with 2000 ATK or less
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. As long as this card is face-up on the field, monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects. Every time a Memory Counter is removed from this monster, increase its ATK and DEF by 500. This monster may only be targeted for attack by a Mnemonic monster.

Oceanus of Torrential Oceans
WATER - Aqua/Mnemonic/Effect - 0/?
This monster can only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and only by banishing 3 Aqua-type monsters you control. This monster's DEF is equal to your current Life Points. At the end of a turn where you took damage to your Life Points, your opponent takes an equal amount of damage. As long as this monster is face-up on your side of the field, monsters you control are immune to your opponent's card effects. As long as this monster is face-up on your side of the field, you cannot control monsters Level 6 or higher, and you cannot Xyz Summon.

Furious Asura
FIRE - Fiend/Mnemonic/Effect - 5000/1200
3 Fiend-type monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing 3 monsters you control. When this monster attacks or is attacked, increase its ATK by the ATK of the opposing monster during damage calculation only. If this monster destroys your opponent's monster by battle, it may attack again.

Midnight Magician
DARK - Spellcaster/Mnemonic/Effect - 3750/3150
"Dark Magician" + 2 Spellcaster-type monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing the above Mnemonic Materials. Once per turn, you may remove 1 Memory Counter from this card to negate and destroy a card that targets a card you control. When a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Memory Counter on this card. You may remove up to three Memory Counters from this card per turn- inflict 700 points of direct damage to your opponent's Life Points for every Memory Counter removed this way. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 600 for every Spellcaster-type monster in the Graveyard.

Ruby-Eyes Anthracite Dragon
DARK - Dragon/Mnemonic/Effect - 3600/3000
"Red-Eyes Black Dragon" + 2 DARK monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing the above Mnemonic Materials. Once per turn, you may remove 2 Mnemonic Counters from this card to Special Summon one Dragon-type monster from your Graveyard or Banished Zone. When this monster leaves the field, Special Summon one "Red-Eyes" monster from your Graveyard or Banished Zone.

Sapphire-Eyes Pearl Dragon
LIGHT - Dragon/Mnemonic/Effect - 4500/3750
"Blue-Eyes White Dragon" + 2 LIGHT monsters
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing the above Mnemonic Materials. When this monster is Mnemonic Summoned successfully, Dragon-type monsters you control are immune to your opponent's card effects until your third Standby Phase after this effect was activated. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 1000 for every Dragon-type monster in the Graveyard and Banished Zone.

Gem-Eyes Yin Dragon
LIGHT - Dragon/Mnemonic/Effect - 5000/4500
"Ruby-Eyes Anthracite Dragon" + "Sapphire-Eyes Pearl Dragon"
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing the above Mnemonic Materials. Transfer all Memory Counters that were on the Mnemonic Materials when they were banished to this card. As long as this card is face-up on the field, Dragon-type monsters cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 1000 for every Dragon-type monster in the Graveyard and Banished Zone. Once per turn, you may remove 3 Memory Counters from this card to Special Summon one Dragon-type monster from the Graveyard or Banished Zone.

Gem-Eyes Yang Dragon
DARK - Dragon/Mnemonic/Effect - 5000/4500
"Sapphire-Eyes Pearl Dragon" + "Ruby-Eyes Anthracite Dragon"
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and by banishing the above Mnemonic Materials. Transfer all Memory Counters that were on the Mnemonic Materials when they were banished to this card. Increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 900 for every Dragon-type monster in the Graveyard and Banished Zone. Once per turn, you may remove 2 Memory Counters from this card to Special Summon one Dragon-type monster from your Graveyard or Banished Zone. When this monster leaves the field, Special Summon one of the above Mnemonic Materials from your Graveyard or Banished Zone with 3 Memory Counters on it (ignore all Summoning conditions of that monster).

Well, any ideas?
Questions, comments, concerns?

I was thinking on the card formatting looking like a ripple between Ritual blue and Synchro white.

Okay, here's how it works:

1. Get Remembrance into the Graveyard.
2. Mnemonic Summon.
3. Send Remembrance back to the Deck.

Basically, this prevents flooding the field with Mnemonic monsters, and if you only have (or need) 1, you can put it back in the Graveyard to give protection from Skill Drain, Fiendish Chain, and the like. Which is why it has both OPT and sending back to the Deck.

Ok. That does make more sense. There are a few ocg/psct fixes. I'll try to run thru them on your spell and on nyx. I'll come back and add more later, maybe.

[Spoiler=Remembrance]

Normal Spell

When this card is activated, send it to the Graveyard. While this card is in the Graveyard, its effects and the effects of Mnemonic monsters cannot be negated. Once per turn, you can send this card in your Graveyard to your Deck and banish 3 face-up monsters you control as Mnemonic Materials to Mnemonic Summon 1 Mnemonic Monster, then, if you did, place "Memory Counters" on that monster equal to the combined Levels of the Mnemonic Materials that were banished this way.

The negation prevention, at first glance, seems a bit OP. But after some thought, the time it would take to make this card OP is ridiculous, unless you're really lucky. So it kind of balances out. I am a bit worried that this card works in the grave, no matter how it got there. But that is only a big deal if the other cards make it a big deal. However, foolish burial and dark world spells make this card a bit abusable.

EDIT: I just realized that either player can take advntag of the protection effect of this card, if they have any mnemonics out. That being sai, I think the card balances out

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Nyx of the Night]

DARK - Spellcaster/Mnemonic/Effect - ?/?
This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and only if the Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon this card were all Spellcaster-Type monsters. This card's original ATK and DEF are each equal to the total respective ATK and DEF of the Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon it. While this card is face-up on the field, LIGHT monsters cannot be Summoned, and the effects of all LIGHT monsters on the field are negated. Once per turn, you can remove 1 Memory Counter from this card to add 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard, or that was banished, to your hand.

The ATK/DEF on this guy seem a bit much when coupled with its effects. I would say, make it half of the combined ATK/DEF, maybe. The effect that prevents LIGHT monsters from being Summoned could be watered Down a bit to make it more balanced. Maybe a level/rank restriction or specific type of summon could be stopped (Normal or Special). I understand these guys CAN be dificult to summon, but there are plenty of decks out there that dont mind banishing monsters at all.

[/spoiler]

Thank you, F.U.R.Y.

Nyx is honestly meant to be bullcrap powerful, as these cards are going to be used for an arc in a Yu-Gi-Oh! anime I'm making, and I want something stable that can allow our protagonist to use it once he's taken it out of the hands of the villain of the week. Kinda like how our cast took cards from villains in Battle City, or Yuma with the Numbers.

The big deal with Mnemonics is that they have to be really strong- a major plot point is that all the Synchros and Xyzs are released onto the world again, and yet the Mnemonics are meant to represent a real threat even then- hell, our protagonist, rival, and "best friend" archetype are all using monsters that would break the modern metagame, and these are meant to give them issues. I mean, not all of them will be Heart-eartH, but you get what I'm saying.

Hey, there's a question I'd like to ask:
Could you guys make Mnemonic monsters that honor a few old archetypes or cards you really liked?

See, a big thing with Mnemonics is that they are literally just memories. The Spell Card "Remembrance" having to go to the Graveyard symbolizes forgetting the old, and it getting shuffled back into the Deck shows that the memory was jogged, or "came back", if you will. The slow loss of Memory Counters shows that, over time, we forget even our strongest memories- and Limitless Slime can gain Memory Counters so quickly because it's so disturbing that you can't forget it easily. Lastly, Mnemonic monsters nuke everything on the way out because, once you forget why you were doing something, nothing really matters.

Now, I don't expect a huge surge of Mnemonic cards (or possible Mnemonic support), I hope to get at least a few cards.

Hello again! Here ya go!

45325.png

This monster may only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance", and only if the Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon this card were all Spellcaster-Type monsters. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard; You can add 1 "Rememberance" from your Deck to your hand; Special Summon 3 "Memorial Tokens" (Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0).

EDIT: I have 2 recommendations for an update to the wording of your Summoning Conditions:

Must first be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance"...

or

Can only be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance"

Also...the OCG in my effect is off a bit because i was lazy and just copypasta'd the conditions. Good rule of thumb...never use may...alway use can. This is because the card effects arent by permission...but by ability the correct ocg for my mnemonic would be as follows

Must first be Mnemonic Summoned by the effect of "Remembrance" All Mnemonic Materials banished to Mnemonic Summon this card must be Spellcaster-Type monsters. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard; You can add 1 "Rememberance" from your Deck to your hand; Special Summon 3 "Memorial Tokens" (Spellcaster-Type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 0).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived