So, Yeah, Fan-Made YGO Anime . . .

Draconus297

Alright, this has been an idea on my mind for a long time (since before I showed up here, even), and I'm getting to some finishing stages- I'm trying to make my own version of a YGO anime. We'll follow some standbys, we'll poke fun at things that never made sense, we'll strip away the plot armor, and we'll show just how down and dirty this children's card game has gotten since its roots in LoB.

So, here's my basic information so far:

Yuuto Otsuka
Our resident protagonist, who has our stereotypical anime-character insane haircut. Now with more weird colors!
He's a bit of a savant, to the point where he's an utter juggernaut of a Duelist, but can't seem to keep any other part of his life on track. He tends to take some things too seriously, and yet can't seem to muster up enough seriousness to not joke about things that really shouldn't be joked about.
Runs an "Aeon" Deck, (my own creation- all four of these characters' Decks are) which revolves primarily around banishing everything. Has his standard 2500 ATK monster in the form of "Infinite-Eyes Aeon Dragon", his trump card in the form of "Vessault, Master of the Aeons", and his random high-DEF monster in the form of Aeon Guardian.
He is actually responsible for setting our plot into motion- on a visit to a kind of "museum of Dueling", he accidentally breaks several old monuments, releasing the cards and souls of the major enemies of all the previous protagonists. Instead of reporting this to proper Dueling authorities, he decides to get his friends together to get them back.
I like where I went with some of the plot sketches so far, but the fact that he has no surname bothers me. What I made sure to do, however, was follow the trend of all protagonists' names starting with "yu".

Toru Tsubochi
The best friend character, who has more of a stake in this than meets the eye . . .
He just seems bizarrely old-fashioned, referencing things that are beyond old. A lot of the time, he needs to be reminded of things that he should know.
Runs a "Spellbound" Deck, which revolves around getting out a central monster who can bring everyone else out with little more than a slap on the wrist. His favorite is "Spellbound Swordswoman", who my artist has decided to draw with an appearance that more than passingly resembles Saber of Fate/Stay Night. I've decided not to comment.
Jumped at the chance to help out when Yuuto suggested they search for the cards themselves, and is quite eager to Duel in general. Despite this, he doesn't seem to take Dueling very seriously, cracking jokes and making intentional mistakes just to see what his opponent will do.

Victor Pryde
Because what would the original anime have been without Kaiba?
Very cold and distant, and with his high opinion of himself, one would think he's arrogant- but he's just that good. He doesn't ever really seem to smile, but will occasionally crack a smirk when he knows his opponent's going down hard.
Runs a "Platune" Deck, which follows effects that trigger every time a card enters the Graveyard. He especially loves bringing out his "Platune Sergeant Song Dragon", which attacks every time a Platune's effect goes off. Supposedly it can even get stronger . . .
He joined with Yuuto's cause because the old myths that surround ancient Duelists who could only be beaten with extreme outside help looked like a fun challenge. He's even taking on some of the more powerful ones alone . . .

Yukako Otsuka
Every YGO anime has had a female character around. Most of the time, however, they don't do much. Not her.
She's really aggressive, tending to threaten people with large, sharp objects when things start going south. Interestingly, however, she's kinda protective of her brother Yuuto, and shares the same group of friends.
Runs a "Combat" Deck. This focuses on its central monster, "Combat Maiden Tareya", who can attach (specifically attach, so her Spell/Trap Card Zones remain clear) up to six "Combat Aid" monsters to herself, powering up and getting stuff done along the way.
When she heard what her brother had done, she was appalled, and almost called in the authorities for him. However, she realized that Yuuto was finally taking responsibility for his actions and decided to help out.
She doesn't have a voice actress yet, if anyone's interested.

Now, I decided to lay out the first major arc this way to slowly lay on the affectionate nods and 'take that's. In addition, our second arc's Big Bad is quite possibly the first major female villain in the series as a whole, so that'll be fun.

Any commentary, suggestions, questions, or villains from GX/5Ds I should include ('cause I only seriously watched the original and ZEXAL)?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villains from GX and 5D's include the Shadow Riders, Sartorious (might have spelt that wrong), Yubel, Nightshroud, The Dark Signers, Goodwin, Paradox, Z-ONE, Aporia. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. (The Shadow riders and Dark Signers are groups of Villians for the season 1 of GX and season 2 of 5D's respectively).

Character Names - Yuuto Otsuka (Protangonist), Yukako Otsuka (Female character) and Toru Tsubouchi (Best friend character).

Only ideas but I agree with Noober that as Victor is a Kaiba like character have him play as a villain for a bit until Yuuto releases the previous villains.

Well good luck in writing it.

Thank you, guthixman.

Interestingly, I have written 3 Yuuto vs. Victor Duels- but none of them are scripted. Basically, the voice actors for the characters are actually going to use the created cards to Duel, and will be in-character for the whole thing. Considering that two of them don't really impact the plot (and none of them take place in the "Mnemonic" arc, for some really obvious reasons- just Summoning a Mnemonic monster turns the Duel into a Mnemonic Duel, in which the loser is locked inside that arc villain's head and, considering her insanity, that's downright impossible to survive), I'm thinking that Victor can be a villain just about as much as Kaiba was- having a very small arc (three chapters of the manga or ONE EPISODE of the anime) before getting into the supernatural stuff.

Also, I feel I should mention that plot-wise, Synchro and Xyz monsters were locked away after 5Ds and ZEXAL, respectively, but the release means that all Synchro and Xyz monsters were permitted to roam free again, which means that cards that never saw facetime in the anime before may get a second chance in the "Unveiling Chaos" arc.

In the Mnemonic arc, I don't have too many Mnemonic monsters finalized, so I'm thinking of accepting YCM-made sets that include a Mnemonic as Villains of the Week.

The arcs, as laid out:

Pride of Pryde
Unveiling Chaos
Mnemonic

Does anyone have ideas regarding matchups with the GX/5Ds villains?

For an example, let's use Marik of Battle City.

Toru would probably take forever to defeat him, if he succeeded at all- the Spellbound deck swarms relatively weak monsters, and thus Marik's principle strategy of weakening monsters would be devastatingly effective. However, it would be just as bad of an idea to match him up against Victor, whose Platune deck revolves around the Graveyard, and so Marik would only last two turns (if that)- not conducive to interest. So, I set Yuuto against him.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question-

I was told to set up Victor's primary monster, "Platune Sergeant Song Dragon", as a four-stage-growth monster.

The original monster is the Fusion "Platune Sergeant Song Dragon". (It attacks every time the effect of a Platune monster activates [if the opponent controls an Effect Monster], and it negates the effect of whatever it battles.)
The second form has the predictable triple heads and is a Synchro- "Platune Admiral Ballad Dragon". (It does the above, plus cuts the ATK of any Fusion/Synchro/Xyz/Pendulum monsters it battles in half.)
The third form reverses its color scheme from black/blue to red/white, and is an Xyz monster- "Platune General Symphony Dragon". (It does the above, plus nukes the backfield when you detach Xyz Materia.)

Now, to make a fourth form, I would need to use Ritual, Pendulum, or my own Mnemonic setup- that isn't the problem. The problem is continuing the pattern- I would need another physical change, a military rank higher than General, and a piece of music more complex than a symphony. Any ideas?

In regards to the first question I would need to see the effects of some of the Spellbound and Platune cards to think of match ups.

In regards to the second question I am truly stumped I checked and couldn't find any military ranks higher than General and I know barely anything about music but what I could find makes me believe that a symphony is the most complex type of music so I recommend bringing "Platune General Symphony Dragon" down a notch to a lower military rank and choose something else for it. An idea is to make the base something like "Platune Private Sonnet Dragon" and move everything up 1 so "Platune Sergeant Song Dragon" becomes the synchro and so on.

That is just an idea and I will gladly help with match-ups if I can get info on the cards.

This is going to be a long one, so buckle up.

First and foremost, to address the matchup problem:
The Spellbounds- http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/318479-spellbound-mellaxis-set/

The Platunes-
Platune Cadet
EARTH - Level 1 - Warrior/Tuner/Effect - 250/250
When any card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is not 1, increase this monster's Level by 1. When this card is destroyed, Special Summon 1 "Platune" monster of equal or lesser Level to this card from your hand.

Platune Private
EARTH - Level 2 - Warrior/Effect - 650/650
When any card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 3 or higher, increase this monster's Level by 1. You can lower this monster's Level by 2 to Special Summon 1 "Platune Cadet" from your hand or Graveyard.

Platune Supplier
WIND - Level 2 - Machine/Tuner/Effect - 700/600
If, when you roll a die, the result is 6, add a "Platune" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. If this card is destroyed by a card effect, you do not need to Tribute monsters to Normal Summon monsters Level 5 and higher on your next turn. If, when you Synchro Summon a monster, this monster and the other monster(s) have a combined Level higher than the Synchro monster, summon a "Supplies Token" (EARTH - Machine/Tuner - 0/0) of equal Level to the difference between the Synchro monster's Level and the Level of the monsters offered for Synchro Summon.

Platune Sentry
LIGHT - Level 2 - Warrior/Effect - 300/1000
If, when you roll a die, the result is 4 or higher, select and activate one of the following effects:
-Increase this monster's Level by 1.
-Select one card in your opponent's hand. If its Level is lower than this card, send it to the Graveyard (Spell and Trap Cards count as Level 0).

Platune Lieutenant
EARTH - Level 3 - Warrior/Effect - 1250/1250
When any card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 4 or higher, increase this monster's Level by 1. If a "Platune" monster of a lower Level than this monster increases its Level, increase this monster's Level by 1. Once per turn, you may lower this monster's Level by 2 to add one "Platune" monster of a lower Level than this monster from your Deck to your hand.

Platune Medic
LIGHT - Level 3 - Spellcaster/Effect - 700/1800
When the effect of a non-Dragon "Platune" monster (besides "Platune Medic") activates, increase the Level of any monster you control by 1. If a "Platune" monster you control is targeted for an attack or card effect, you may lower this monster's Level by 2 to negate the attack or effect.

Platune Codebreaker
DARK - Level 3 - Spellcaster/Effect - 1200/1300
When any card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. Activate one of the following effects based on the result:
1-2: Your opponent cannot activate Spell Cards this turn.
3-4: Your opponent cannot activate Trap Cards this turn.
5-6: Select one card in your opponent's hand at random. Special Summon one "Platune" monster from your hand of equal or lesser Level to your side of the field (Spell and Trap Cards are treated as Level 0).

Platune Double Agent
DARK - Level 4 - Warrior/Effect - 1600/1600
You can Normal Summon this monster to your opponent's side of the field. Every time a card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 5 or 6, increase this monster's Level by 1. If this monster would be Tributed or used to Special Summon another monster, you may lower its Level by 1 to negate the Summon. As long as this card is face-up on the field, no other monster on the same side of the field may not attack or activate its effects.

Platune Shocktrooper
LIGHT - Level 4 - Warrior/Effect - 2000/1600
You can only Normal Summon this monster if you control no "Platune" monsters. If the effect of a "Platune" monster activates and your opponent controls a monster, this monster must attack. If the monster targeted for this attack is of equal or lesser Level to this card, negate its effect.

Platune Paratrooper
WIND - Level 4 - Warrior/Effect - 1650/1650
If you control a face-up "Platune" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Every time a card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 4 or higher, add 1 "Platune" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Platune Artillery
FIRE - Level 5 - Machine/Effect - 3000/0
Every time a monster card is sent to the Graveyard, increase this monster's ATK by half the monster's original ATK until the End Phase of this turn. If your opponent activates a card effect in response to this card's attack, discard 1 Spell or Trap Card from your hand to negate the effect and prevent a Chain.

Platune Marine
WATER - Level 5 - Warrior/Effect - 2100/1750
If you control no monsters, you may Special Summon this monster from your hand. If this monster battles a monster with equal or greater ATK, cut its ATK in half during damage calculation. If the effect of a "Platune" monster (besides "Platune Marine") activates, increase the ATK of all "Platune Marine"s you control by 100.

Platune Marksman
EARTH - Level 5 - Warrior/Effect - 2000/1800
If this card is added to your hand during your normal Draw Phase, discard it to the Graveyard immediately. This monster may declare an attack while in your hand. If you activate this effect, all Battle Damage this card inflicts, becomes 500.

Platune Special Forces
DARK - Level 5 - Warrior/Effect - 2050/2050
If there is an active Field Spell Card, you can select one Level 4 or lower "Platune" monster you control- it may attack your opponent directly this turn. Every time a card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. Based on the result, activate one of the following effects:
1-3: Look at all Set cards on your opponent's side of the field. They remain face-up (but not activated) for the rest of this turn.
4-5: Destroy all Spell Cards your opponent controls.
6: Destroy all Trap Cards your opponent controls.

Platune Spotter
LIGHT - Level 5 - Warrior/Effect - 1900/1800
Every time a "Platune" monster is discarded from your hand or Deck to the Graveyard, add it to your hand during your next Main Phase. When you activate this effect, roll a six-sided die. Based on the result, activate one of the following effects:
1: No card effects may be activated until the End Phase of this turn.
2-5: If a "Platune" monster deals damage to your opponent's Life Points, increase the damage by 300.
6: If a "Platune" monster deals damage to your opponent's Life Points, change the damage to the monster's original ATK Points.

Platune Major
EARTH - Level 6 - Warrior/Effect - 2100/2000
Every time a card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 4 or higher, declare one card name. That card cannot activate any effects this turn.

Platune Corporal
EARTH - Level 7 - Warrior/Effect - 2500/2200
Every time a card is sent to the Graveyard, roll a six-sided die. If the result is 5 or 6, increase this monster's ATK and DEF by 100.

Now you see why I can't use lower military ranks.

Interestingly, all four main characters have "Memory Engine" cards, starting from the second arc.

Yuuto- "Memory Engine Alpha"
Summons "Dark Magician", "Elemental HERO Neos", "Stardust Dragon", or "Number 39: Utopia" at random.

Victor- "Memory Engine Beta"
Summons "Blue-Eyes White Dragon", "VWXYZ Dragon Catapult Cannon", "Red Dragon Archfiend", or "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" at random.

Toru- "Memory Engine Gamma"
Summons "Red-Eyes Black Dragon", "Super Vehicroid", "Black-Winged Dragon", or "Number 32: Shark Drake" at random.

Yukako- "Memory Engine Delta"
Summons "Harpie's Pet Dragon", "Cyber Blader", "Black Rose Dragon", or "Number 101: Ragnazero" at random.

I think I'd like to make a villain/Deck with a couple of Mnemonics in it. Im thinking Dark Worlds. Like a combination of real/anime/custom made cards. What do you think?

Also, if you'd like, I can make some mnemonics for you, since i can work my way around the template. Just shoot me the card art and eff's/stats, if you're interested

I've given some thought into your second question and while its not a military rank used now you could use 'Legate' for Platune dragon's final form. While I'm not sure if it would be higher than general it was one of the highest ranks in the Roman army. I'm still not sure on the music half though, you could keep the ranks the same but use Sonnet for the first stage and Symphony for the last as I previously recommended.

In regards to match ups I think Victor would be good against Sartorius as both Arcana Force and Platune decks rely on luck but there are cards which can help with coin flips and there's a field spell that lets you select Arcana Force effects. While Toru I'm still not sure In the final season of GX Jaden faces a duelist who uses a Horus lockdown so it could prevent him from bringing out his boss monsters though the duelist wasn't really a villain, just someone to progress the story. 

For the Memory Engines the Unknown ones Victor's GX one (as he is the rival character he would be based of Chazz) would either be VWXYZ Dragon Catapult Cannon or the three Normal Ojamas + Ojama Delta Hurricane. Toru's would be one of the Super Vehicroid or UFOroid Fighter for the GX one and either Blackwing Armor Master or Black-winged Dragon for the 5D's. Yukako's would be Cyber Blader for GX and Black Rose Dragon for 5D's.

Victor vs. Sartorius?
Guess I have a GX episode or two to watch.

I do minor enemies, too. Anyone memorable.
I planned a Dimitri appearance right after I saw "The King of Copycats!", after all.

It gets better. Victor only has one non-Platune in his Deck during the first arc:

Lady Luck
LIGHT - Level 2 - Warrior/Effect - 600/600
During each End Phase, flip a coin. If the result is tails, control of this monster switches to your opponent (if your opponent does not have any empty Monster Card Zones, select one monster on your opponent's side of the field to take in exchange). When a card effect (besides that of this card) that involves a coin toss or die roll is activated, you can change the result to any desired value.

For memorable minors there are duelists like Bandit Keith, Bones, Esper Roba,  the knight guy Aki duels in 5D's and that doctor/hypnotist Ruka duels in 5D's.

Sartorius is the main villain in the second GX arc. If you do Lady Luck could be a game change card for Victor if he duels Sartorius.

If it's okay could I create a one-time character. If its OK I can PM you a decklist for the deck. I could also provide voice acting for him, if you accept.

Character - Christopher Sarumara

17 years old with shoulder length light gray hair and blue-eyes, his size is average for his age. Runs a 'Alchemical Beast' deck. This desk is based off elements on the periodic table. It is capable of summoning fusion, synchro and xyz. The fusions for as powerful as they are their effects have drawbacks. For example 'Alchemical Beast - Praseodymium' can attack your opponent directly but it increases one of your opponents monsters ATK and DEF by 1500 and allows it to attack directly on your opponent's next turn.

If you are setting it out like the other animes you could use him as someone to boost Yuuto's confidence.

On another note if you're stuck on something I am more than glad to help.

Here is the wider draft for the series:

Pride of Pryde (16 episodes- not completely drafted)
A massive Dueling tournament is in town, with a massive prize to boot- a rare card, $2 million, and four tickets to the Museum of Dueling before it opens! Yuuto, Yukako, and Toru all enter, agreeing to share the prize if any of them wins, but it won't be easy . . .

Unveiling Chaos (full episode count not established)
When Yuuto, Yukako, Victor, and Toru take advantage of their advance tickets, Yuuto accidentally smashes several of the displays, letting the energies of Duelists past roam free! The four of them agree to hunt down all the escaped energies, but, considering who these Duelists were, it won't be easy . . .

Mnemonic (full episode count not established)
When he was defeated, Arkas gave a disturbing revelation- Yuuto unleashed more than just past Duelists. Mnemonic cards, the powerful memories of monsters the world knew long ago, are in the hands of Duelists the world over! To make matters worse, they all want all the Mnemonic cards, and whoever loses a Mnemonic Duel becomes only a memory! Their new objective laid out before them,our four heroes seek to get all the Mnemonic cards and end this . . .

Some cards that are planned to be pretty common (Polymerization in GX common):
The "Glorious" cards and the "Retrieval" cards.

Glorious Draw
Quick-Play Spell
Both players select one monster they control, negate all of its effects, and banish it. They then draw cards equal to the Level or Rank of the banished monster. If either player does not control any monsters, they draw an equal number of cards that their opponent drew by this effect.

Glorious Ankh
Quick-Play Spell
Select two monsters from the Graveyard and Special Summon them, ignoring Summoning conditions. Then, your opponent selects two monsters from the Graveyard and Special Summons them. Monsters Special Summoned from the Graveyard cannot attack or activate their effects this turn.

Glorious Searchlight
Quick-Play Spell
Declare the name of one card from your Main Deck. Draw cards from your Deck until you draw the declared card. Your opponent then draws cards equal to the number of cards you drew.

Glorious Alchemy
Quick-Play Spell
Send one monster on the field to the Graveyard, and Special Summon one monster from the Graveyard of the same type as the target monster to the target monster's controller's side of the field.

Retrieval of the Champion
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select one monster in the Graveyard- shuffle it back into its original owner's Deck. During each of your End Phases, pay 300 Life Points or destroy this card.

Retrieval of the Spellbook
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select up to two Spell and/or Trap Cards from either Graveyard- add them to your hand. During each of your End Phases, pay 300 Life Points or destroy this card.

Retrieval of the Exile
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select up to three banished cards- send them to their original owners' Graveyards. During each of your End Phases, pay 300 Life Points or destroy this card.

Also, I was planning on a filler episode with an Arkana/Aster Phoenix character. Problem: the most likely character to get such an episode would be Yuuto. Yuuto's Aeon monsters, sharing a theme, also share a color scheme- blue, green, and silver. To help with identifying whose monsters are whose, the mirror Deck will need a sufficiently opposite color scheme. The only combination I could come up with, however, was red/orange/gold, which looks considerably more heroic than Yuuto's Aeons. What to do . . .

Glorious Ankh
Quick-Play Spell
Select two monsters from the Graveyard and Special Summon them, ignoring Summoning conditions. Then, your opponent selects two monsters from the Graveyard and Special Summons them. Monsters Special Summoned from the Graveyard cannot attack or activate their effects this turn.

Glorious Searchlight
Quick-Play Spell
Declare one card name. Draw cards from your Deck until you draw the declared card. Your opponent then draws cards equal to the number of cards you drew.

Glorious Alchemy
Quick-Play Spell
Send one monster on the field to the Graveyard, and Special Summon one monster from the Graveyard of the same type as the target monster to the target monster's controller's side of the field.

Retrieval of the Champion
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select one monster in the Graveyard- shuffle it back into its original owner's Deck.

Retrieval of the Spellbook
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select up to two Spell and/or Trap Cards from either Graveyard- add them to your hand.

Retrieval of the Exile
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, select up to three banished cards- send them to their original owners' Graveyards.

I like Ankh

Searchlight is WAY OP. Declare a card that isnt in your deck and get to 0 then opponent empties deck and you end your turn ftw

alchemy and champion are iffy...i would call them limited if anything

Spellbook is OP because it can infinitely recycle Spells and Traps...especially if you run 2.

Exile is interesting

-------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions...

For Searchlight,

I would suggest that the first sentence be changed to "Declare the name of a card in your Main Deck."

OCG/Suggestion for Alchemy

Send one monster you control  to the Graveyard, and target 1 monster in your Graveyard with the same Type as the sent monster; Special Summon that target.

Champion

Add a maintenance cost to the end. Maybe "During each of your Standby Phases, pay 300 LP or destroy this card."

Spellbook

Once per turn, target up to two Spell and/or Trap Cards in either Graveyard; add them to their owners' hands.

I could fix Searchlight so one can't declare a card they don't have. I hadn't even thought of that.

I find it interesting how you set up Alchemy to be used only on one's own monsters- most of the occasions where I've written it in, it's been used offensively, sending powerful beaters to the Graveyard and replacing them with hilariously weak monsters of the same type.

Maintenance cost, huh?

Hrm . . . I suppose. Perhaps that will suffice for all of the suggested Retrieval cards?

I like how you mentioned restrictions on cards.

There is actually a written-out moment in the tournament where someone is disqualified for using a banned card (that only exists on paper for now, it's not a real card)- a little BS number I call "Planet-Shattering Kaboom!"

No, I won't spoil what it does.

Archived