Ancient Lord of Mist Valley

Bringerofcake

Ancient Lord of Mist Valley

WIND

Thunder/Synchro/Effect

7/2200/2000

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn, you can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand, and if you do, this card gains 100 ATK. If this card's ATK becomes 2600 or more this way: return it to the Extra Deck. You can only control 1 "Mist King".

My submission for Voltex's DT Retrain contest, but modified after the fact to reflect the commentary received. Now, Thunder Lord is somewhat of a coward after becoming significantly mentally damaged, fleeing from battle if it grows too powerful than its ability to keep itself in check. Balance-wise, the Armades effect seen in the contest had some flavor-esque reason for existing, but it didn't really need to be there at all, so I axed it.

To be honest, I completely missed the Armades effect being a reference to Mist Lord fightning Shaddolls, but still, I think you could have gone for a more specific or perhaps unique effect to add creativity, such as an anti-Flip effect when Mist Lord battles, an OPT lock when a DARK monster goes to the grave (like a mini-Shadow Imprisoning Mirror), etc. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add an effect that only works against few decks (unlike the Armades effect) after the bouncing effect.

So, with the added side-effect you are limiting the number of bounces to up to 4, or 3 if want to keep the monster. Limiting the effect is fair, but at the same time I feel it doesn't affect it at all, because by the time you use the 3rd bounce, you should be wining anyways since it means the opponent failed to remove the threat.

I suggest to nerf the bounce effect in another way instead, such as disabling it from attacking during the turn its uses its effect (because of its age it becomes tired after using its effect)

Finally, this is a silly suggestion but after reading your card I thought that you could add a "control of this card cannot switch" effect to further add flavor, considering the Mist Lord overcame the mind control of Fableds and could have become immune to that kind of effects.

Archived