The rules are too strict

zecheviktor

I have a suggestion to make for this community :)

I have noticed how inactive many of the custom card threads are. The problem is most likely that the rules for posting in these threads are too strict. It definetly scares me away from posting in someone elses card thread. I don't think there should be specific rules for card threads, honestly.

Obviously, I'm okay with the forum rules, but the special rules for the card threads are too much.
That's what I think. Do you agree?

The Custom Card rules are like that, so members design cards properly, especially in the Realistic section (the name implies a higher standard). Custom Cards is a place for members to post their creations, get feedback and hopefully improve.

Advanced Clause is there so members get proper feedback on their cards, instead of "oh nice card 10/10" because that doesn't help anyone improve. Seriously though, you only need to write 2-3 sentences at the minimum, explaining your opinion on the card, and any fixes you might suggest. We don't expect you to instantly bring up a combination for its usage in the competitive world, because I'm sure a lot of members in CC don't play competitively. It's recommended that you browse the TCG forum to get an idea for things, because again, we do expect you all to put some effort into designing stuff; regardless if you're making cards for Yugioh or another CCG.

Same with Pop Culture; while we don't expect you to perform as high as Realistic, we do expect you to put some thought into your creations. We do not want to see more Goku cards with 9000+ ATK/DEF; if you read the guides Toyo and I wrote for CC, you'll see the types of cards that you should make and the ones that you shouldn't be doing.

The rules aren't strict; just that we're pushing standards for quality throughout the entire section.

By the way though, if you had any concerns about stuff related to CC's rulebook and/or our policies, this should've been PMed to either myself or Zextra, as both of us are in charge of Custom Cards. Ideally, you should contact me about such things because Zextra is currently busy with things offline, and our third moderator is on family business.

As Cow Cow mentioned, which of the CC rules do you have problems with? I've probably clarified the reasoning for their existence (as a disclaimer, I didn't write all of them; they've been here since my predecessors' reign over the section)

If you have a general idea of what you want to say, meeting the minimum for the Advances Clause comes without even trying. You don't even have to be remotely good at the game to do fulfill it. You're much more likely to be called out on by another member for being terrible (I've done this plenty of times) at reviewing than failing to abide by the rules if you try to follow them. Though, since many people strive to see quality reviews in places such as RC instead of things like "I like it, I like the picture, or cool card," you might find the Experimental Cards section much less intimidating for the time being. Meanwhile, make sure you read up more on the game and get an understanding on the do's and don'ts of cardmaking and soon you will be able to fit in RC nicely. The bajillion guides and whatnot that are pasted around the place should help a bit, but personally the best way to learn these things is to find and listen to a member who is universally accepted by the site as good at Yugioh.

Anyways, welcome to the forum.

The rules aren't really strict. They can look oddly specific, but believe me, their boundaries are pretty lax once you start moving around the forum. Basically don't post comments like "I like it 8/10" at Realistic Cards, which I used to get those a lot from members that never came back to talk about how to raise that 8 they so randomly slapped.

It's just common sense, really. One thing is posting simple comments, and another is 3 word posts when the card's owner is practically begging for a review.

Speaking of the Advanced Clause, if you count what I just wrote in this post above this line, it's pretty close to 100 words. It does itself, though as said above, you are unaffected by that rule until you hit 100 posts...

The thing is, the rules at some point were much more simple and short, but as time has passed, new stuff has had to be added to tackle problems, so most of what the rules fear of happening HAS happened in the past to demonstrate the need for them. Though I can see why they'd come across as intimidating. I can't emphasize this enough though: They only "look" complicated. Just dive in and you'll see over time. Welcome to the forum and I salute you for reading the rules as a new member.

Yep, it doesn't apply until they hit 100 posts.

We removed that limitation in late July/early August, so essentially all members have to abide by the AC now, regardless of post count. It's been noticed that newer members are the one who generally break this, given observations in the section for the past couple months prior to my promotion. (This was discussed with Saber, Striker and Zextra before being implemented)

However, we did tone down the requirements for it slightly to compensate. It's not difficult to write 2-3 sentences on your opinion of card, its balance and whatnot.

But at least the member in question read our rules, instead of jumping into the section and breaking several of them in one shot. The rules are there so you can get proper feedback on how to improve, and that the quality of CC stays on the higher end of the spectrum.

Remember what I mentioned in both your intro thread and in here; if you have concerns about the Custom Card rules, you should PM either myself or Zextra about it.

Archived