Forgiving Graveyard

X2FNbadX

aq3R2VK.jpg

Once per turn, during your main phase, you can add 1 card from your graveyard to your hand. If you do, place 1 Z Counter on this card. During your standby phase, you take damage equal to the number of Z Counters on this card x 300. You can tribute this card with 3 or more Z Counters to discard 1 card.

I was hoping to see if this is either under/overpowered, especially in a Zombie deck.

This card is incredibly overpowered simply because it allows you to add any card from your Graveyard to your hand. Even restricting it to only adding monsters wouldn't help your case. And then there's the fact that it's continuous which means you can keep on accumulating card advantage, and not just any card advantage but cards you choose.

Right now, the card is a little overpowered. You can choose to not send the card to the Graveyard to discard a card and keep adding any card to your hand and place counters on this card. Sure, you take 300 damage per counter on it, but before that actually makes an impact, you probably would have already won the duel after around 4 Z Counters, considering you can keep recycling cards such as Rekindling, Soul Charge, Raigeki, etc. And as for the last effect, it seems really out of place; it's a really random effect concerning counters.

My suggestions would be to limit it to monsters or a specific type of card. Of course, it should come with a cost. The simplest cost is Life Point payment, so I'd recommend that. Also, with how powerful it is, even if it does add a specific type of card, I think it would be a better idea to limit how many times you could use it, where you have to send it to the Graveyard once it has x Counters on it.

Suggested effect:
"Once per turn, during your Main Phase: You can pay 500 Life Points; add 1 monster from your Graveyard to your hand. If you do, place 1 Z Counter on this card. If there are 3 or more Z Counters on this card, send it to the Graveyard."

Everyone has pretty much covered what I wanted to say about this card except this;

To balance this power further I would create a limit to the amount of "Z" counters this card can have. What you can also have as well as the LP cost is another LP cost when the card is destroyed.

Right now the card is simply too overpowered. 

I agree, it's op...I differ in opinion as to how to fix it. I think that the LP cost should be a maintenance cost. Like Messenger of Peace. I also think that you should up the cost to 600-800. And I agree with those who said monsters only.

Possible effect rewrite:

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can pay 300 Life Points; add 1 monster from your Graveyard to your hand, and place 1 "Z Counter" on this card. You can Tribute this card with 3 or more "Z Counters" to discard 1 card. During each of your Standby Phases, pay 700 Life Points or destroy this card.

Radiant F.U.R.Y. makes a very good point. I sat here for 10 minutes trying to think of how this card can could be useful and at the same time balanced. After that, I had a general idea of what I wanted it to be, but I knew that the community would be able to assist in the final draft, which is exactly what has happened. Thank you, Radiant F.U.R.Y., Oriannis, Nobility, MY HAIR'S NOT A KURIBOH!!!, and Kaiser Aix for your inputs. Expect to see an updated (NOT OP) version of this card soon.

Archived