[Finished][Archetype Contest]

Aix

[background=transparent]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R7sas8bWN4[/size][/background]

As the title implies, this is a contest where you can submit archetypes for me to judge. This is your once in a lifetime to get your archetype judged.

However, even I’m not crazy enough (any more) to judge like twenty archetypes, so I’m going to have a short preliminary round to cut out the crap. You have until Friday to submit a single card into this thread. At the end of the week, I’ll be taking 5 members as participants in the main archetype contest.

Note that compared to single cards, an archetype is considerably harder to judge on playability and balance, so bear with me. I don’t claim to be perfect in regards to balance and card design either. You are allowed to argue your standings when I give out the results.

[spoiler=Rules]All YCM rules apply. Don’t be an idiot.

You must participate in the preliminary round first which ends on Friday. I will not be judging the preliminary round, I will simply accept 5 contestants to participate over the weekend. If someone drops out, I will choose another person.

The deadline for the main contest is to be decided.

There is no entry fee.

You do not have to make new cards for the preliminary round nor the main contest. You can submit your old singles/archetypes.

You are allowed to make a maximum of 10 cards for the archetype including Extra Deck.

Written cards are allowed for both the main contest and the preliminary. Pop Culture cards, however, are not. This is for the sake of the design factor, I do not want to judge cards which I am unsure of the flavour of.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Judging]I will be the sole judge for this contest. I do not use a rubric, but I will review each of your archetypes. (not card by card)

Things to consider when making an archetype. Balance will be judged according to how well it would theoretically do in the current TCG meta. However, be careful of design as such a high power level makes it easy to make horrendously designed cards. Flavour is something I will be noting on. Creativity means a deal to me.

Another thing to consider design-wise is skill. How skillful your archetype is will play a big factor in your chances of winning. Note that deckbuilding skill is also a thing, it is not a good idea to make an archetype where the player is likely to just run 3 each of every card.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Prizes]You are making more cards so naturally the prizes will be greater.
First Place: 3000 Points + 2 Reps
Second Place: 1500 Points + 1 Rep
Third Place: 700 Points
[/spoiler]

Good luck and have fun.

3 Questions.

1. Can we submit archetypes that we have posted here on YCM before?

2. Regarding the following:

Another thing to consider design-wise is skill. How skillful your archetype is will play a big factor in your chances of winning. Note that deckbuilding skill is also a thing, it is not a good idea to make an archetype where the player is likely to just run 3 each of every card.

What if our archetype was designed to be small (7~9 cards) but is optimal (all cards have a purpose, lacks cards with impractical effects or that wouldn't add anything to the deck, etc.) and gets support from existing cards, and thus requires all of its cards to be run at 3 for a consistent deck? For instance, it has 4~5 monsters for a maximum of 12~15 archetype monsters, which is more or less the usual monster count of the standard deck. (I guess you could see Burning Abyss as a realistic example of this).

Can we submit that kind of "small but effective" archetypes?

3. Can we submit archetypes that support and/or get support from an existing archetype or monster(s)?

3 Questions.
1. Can we submit archetypes that we have posted here on YCM before?

2. Regarding the following:

What if our archetype was designed to be small (7~9 cards) but is optimal (all cards have a purpose, lacks cards with impractical effects or that wouldn't add anything to the deck, etc.) and gets support from existing cards, and thus requires all of its cards to be run at 3 for a consistent deck? For instance, it has 4~5 monsters for a maximum of 12~15 archetype monsters, which is more or less the usual monster count of the standard deck. (I guess you could see Burning Abyss as a realistic example of this).

Can we submit that kind of "small but effective" archetypes?

3. Can we submit archetypes that support and/or get support from an existing archetype or monster(s)?

1. Yes.
2. Would a player be inclined to possibly not run certain cards @3 for the sake of tech? Well, you can if I deem it reasonable. If you are making a 10 card archetype though, do not make every card an absolute crucial factor. At any rate, this is just a small thing.
3. No, unless you are making an archetype around only one or two existing cards.

1u6cHtX.jpg

You can only use the effect of "Beetron Supreme" once per turn. You can send 1 face-up Spell/Trap card you control to the Graveyard to target 1 face-up Card on the Field; send it to the Graveyard.

Didn't want to call it Beetron Supreme, but I couldn't think of a better name, so whatever.

1. Yes.
2. Would a player be inclined to possibly not run certain cards @3 for the sake of tech? Well, you can if I deem it reasonable. If you are making a 10 card archetype though, do not make every card an absolute crucial factor. At any rate, this is just a small thing.
3. No, unless you are making an archetype around only one or two existing cards.

2. Well, in the archetype I had in mind, the answer to that question is yes: a couple of cards are better run as 1 or 2-ofs. And 7~10 card archetypes do leave space for official card staples, techs, etc. so I guess deckbuilding skills are involved anyways.

3. I see. I have actually made an archetype that "adopts" an existing monster as a boss, while it supports a rather underused Extra Deck monster.

With the questions answered, If you don't mind I would like to submit my "Darzorc" archetype; I believe you have seen it before.

Here is my entry card:

[spoiler=]

WXEnSxk.jpg

2 Level 4 monsters
This card is unaffected by your opponent's Trap Cards. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy that target, and if you do, if it was a Trap Card, banish it instead of sending it to the Graveyard, then you can Set 1 card with the name of that Trap Card from your Graveyard.
[/spoiler]

1 more thought: How about requiring a sample decklist when submitting the archetype? So it will be easier for you to understand how the archetype is intended to be played.

Here's my single one:>>> I mean I'm in (well, I want to anyways) 

RUS4t07.jpg

Effect:

If this card is Discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect while you have 5 or less cards in your Graveyard: Target at least 1 of those cards(max 5); Banish them, and If you do, gain 1000 Life Points for every card banished that way. While this card is in your Graveyard, place 2 Gate Counters on it every time you take damage. During your Main Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard while it has 10 or more Gate Counters on it, and If you do, increase this card's ATK and DEF by 200 x Gate Counters on it until your next Standby Phase. This card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects during the turn it was summoned or flipped face-up. Banish this card when it leaves the field.

Joining this with an archetype of Thunder-type monsters. Introducing the Energix!

[spoiler=Energix Blader]

mwWy1WE.jpg

Once per turn, if your opponent controls a monster and you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). This card cannot declare an attack the turn it is Special Summoned this way. When this card is Summoned: Add 1 Thunder-type monster from your Deck with 500 DEF or less to your hand, except "Energix Blader". If this card attacks while you control no Spell/Trap Cards: Your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap Cards until the end of the Battle Phase.

[/spoiler]

Joining.

[spoiler='Entry']

SLvI6W6.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned in face-up Attack Position: You can target 1 card on the field; banish it. When this card is targeted for an attack or by your opponent's card effect: Draw 1 card, then change this card's Battle Position. You can only use this effect of "Celestial Knight" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

I'm in.

El-Shaddoll Aphelion
WIND/Level 6/Pyro/Fusion/Effect
ATK/DEF: 2400/600
1 "Shaddoll" monster + 1 WIND monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned. When this card is Special Summoned, you can banish 2 "Shaddoll" cards from your Graveyard and add 1 "Shaddoll" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. This card is unaffected by the effects activated by your opponent's Special Summoned monsters. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Shaddoll" Spell/Trap card from your Graveyard to your hand.

I'll participate as well

[spoiler: Card]

CWm9cUb.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler: Lore]

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn during either players turn target one monster in the graveyard. Until the of the turn this monster gains targets ATK, DEF, Effect, Type, Attribute, and Name, As long as this card is face up on the field neither player can summon a monster with the same name as this card.
[/spoiler]

Here you go... This card supports the Hecate archtype which uses the Hecate cards from season 0 that were never printed. The sisters power them selves in a brute manor, as well with this being the boss card.

[Spoiler=Hecate Mother]

u9UIw6!.jpg

[/Spoiler]

btw the image is broken, I'll extend the deadline a bit so fix it up.

Since the img is broken... I'll take the chance to change entry. This is for my soon to be posted "TicTok" monsters. They work on gaining field presence in a swarm like manor. Their are only 2/7 main deck monsters tht are Level 4, but the deck has many tricks up it's sleeve to ensure this card's presence. I will make a link when Topic is posted.

[Spoiler=TicTok Gazer]

YtSZQzb.jpg

[/Spoiler]

So there you have it... this is the boss monster. Btw... All TicTok monsters have and End Phase effect. Might be worth mentioning their gimmick. C: (sorry bout my glitches... hey I got an idea)

Archived