Atarashī Chikyū (IC)

Azure Wolf

Chris woke with a start, he was having the dream that had haunted him for the last 5 years. Each night the same event which his sister betrayed his family leading to the death of his brother and grandparents. His family were opposed to the idea of a joined superpower claiming that Britain could reclaim its own strength and recreate the British Empire. Now that was all but a wish, they were now fugitives living in Japan and part of its own military. Chris shook himself awake if he stayed in the past he new he couldn't get revenge. After he pulled himself out of bed their was a knock at his door, there was only one person that could be at this time in the morning; Yukiko Tsumemasa, one of New Earth's greatest pilots despite being 19 years old and Chris' commanding officer.

Fate looked onward on the small man-made island she stood on that was known as Sealand, the land on it consisted of merely a Concrete slab with a few buildings, but it was littered with Junk Metal on the paths and roofs, however, she walked back, and got in her mech, which then became animated by her magic as she concentrated and seemed to just do it naturally, however, that was simply due to her Technomancy. She leaped into the air, as her ring started to spin faster and faster until she started to fly, and as she did, all that junk metal flew towards her and started to attach to the ring, black-side-up, then she shot south, headed towards Africa...

It was several hours until she reached land from the south of what she thought was Africa, but was very much wrong when she looked on her map, She was reminded her sense of Direction was horrible as she actually flew above the coast of the United States, Ah well, They probably have better Technology she could go after, although it would be more difficult than those in Africa...

Chris quickly cleaned up and got dressed then moved towards the door. All he could to for now was train and when he was deployed to fight he would meet his sister on the battle field. When Chris opened the door he realized that everyone else had left the barracks and had already moved on down to the mess hall where the day's training program would be announced. Chris ran down the hall, he knew what the punishment for lateness was here. He also knew that if magic could be used inside he could easily double his speed while also reducing the amount of energy he was spending just to get to the hall. It was 6:45 am before Chris got to the mess hall, he was late and now he had two choices, taking a risk of faking illness or in sparring take on one of the top rank 3 pilots with live equipment. He already knew what he would do, in order to match his sisters strength he would have to become a better pilot and mage himself. Chris took his seat and started eating, knowing that training would be very interesting today.

Tsaku woke in a daze. For a moment, he couldn't quite get his bearings, but quickly, he recovered. He was in a pitch-black corridor and had no idea how he got there. The last thing he remembered was getting a few drinks with some of his late parents' old coworkers....and some jackass picking a fight with him. "Guess I didn't do as well as I thought I would." But it was nothing some otc painkillers couldnt fix. Just as he thought about it, the hall slowly light up. He knew better than to show of his prowess as a mage, and it paid off. He was as at home in a dark room as he was...well...at home. He headed down the hall toward the broken exit sign and steeped out into the cold city night.

"I have to get some rest." he thought to himself. "I have some serious training tomorrow and the last thing i need....is that a mech off the coast?" Tsaku cast a ball of light about 150 yards out (a projection spell was something most people didn't even know he could cast) and watched as it expanded over the coastal waters. "200 feet doesnt have to center on me," he chuckled. "That's definitely a mech, but not a model I've ever seen before." Tsaku continued toward the coast, silently debating whether or not he should investigate the "Junkyard Mech" as he suddenly decided it should be called. His apartment was on the way to the coast anyway. He had time to decide. "Either way" he thought "I'd better suit up. That much light doesnt go unnoticed. and I'm sure the pilot noticed me straight off." He tugged the string on the right side of his backpack and waited about 12 seconds as his "Light Armor Mech" assembled itself around him. "Am I addicted to nicknames?" he asked himself out loud as he lept quietly to the roof of a nearby gas station and used the HUD to zoom in on the object of his interest. He'd made up his mind to check it out, and didn't even know it yet...

Fate looked onward, trying to find a UAA Hangar when she noticed a good bunch of light, she felt like she needed to prepare for something, so she dove down low, into a city, hoping to look for some more junk metal to bring towards her mech, and found, of course, a junkyard in the middle of nowhere, so she dove into the Junkyard, hiding herself, hopefully being able to find some tech and escape with it sometime, but she had to face this Obstacle for now. She removed the map and replaced it with a Targetter, in case someone showed up, as that light already hinted so to her. All that junk closed in on her, attaching themselves to her ring and her Mech. she grinned and waited for any possible newcomers... 

Chris now was actually regretting his decision of fighting, his 'Vulpes Nuntius' for being as fast as it was wasn't holding up to well. The person he had been put up against was his own commander Yukiko Tsumemasa. He had seen previous battles involving her and it generally didn't go well for her opponents. He also knew that her mech was powered her magic and also knew that the main weakness was the back. The only problem was he couldn't get close, he heard of her magic taking down UAA mechs by overloading them. The only advantage he really had was he could use his suit without his magic, while Chris was thinking of possible strategies to defeat Yukiko he had left his guard down and in return got hit by two energy katanas, "Dammit," Chris muttered, "all I need is a decent enough distraction so she leaves her back open." Chris then realized that he could leave his mech and use that as a distraction but it was too simple. Currently the hit score was 2-15 to Yukiko, her swords were faster than his spear as was her electrical magic faster than his ice magic. He knew that if he couldn't defeat someone with electrical magic how was he supposed to defeat someone with wind, the fastest of the elemental combat magics. He had heard stories of his loyalist sister defeating people without inflicting damage on them without magic and only using her prized rapier and main-gauche. He shook these feelings out of his mind, he was in the middle of a fight he couldn't get caught up in the past. Chris let out a burst of ice, freezing the nearby area. While his mech couldn't really fly per se but really just create short anti-gravity pulses he did now that as soon as Yukiko touched the ground he had won, all he needed to do was damage one of the legs.

The "Junkyard Mech" dropped out of sight, almost as quickly as he had a light on it. "Maybe some kid got ahold of a junker and has been having a time of it" he thought. "If so, Id better get them. You can attract the wrong kind of attention, piloting a mech in a New Earth Reservation." But where to look? Then he spotted the crane. "Heh. Junkyard Mech in the Junkyard. That's fitting." As he entered the junkyard, he peeled a large portion of the light around him so that he was nearly invisible. While he could become completely invisible, he felt that if someone was frightened and detected a heat signature without a body, bullets might fly, so he opted for a more reasonable approach. Easily missed, but visible if detected. He began scanning the junkyard for standard mech energy readings, but found none. "That really is weird." he thought. But then he saw a peice of scrap fly off...by itself?

Fate looked as her Targetter beeped, and she looked where it indicated, and saw a nearly human sized mech, she thought it was for the best to show herself, since she had an advantage, from the pile she was in, she cast off a piece of scrap slowly, followed by a few more a little faster, but still slow, she then turned off the magnets on her ring, which allowed her to set aside all that scrap her Mech attracted, revealing what it actually looked like to the newcomer. she remained silent, not completely sure if she should replacer her Targeter with a microphone to try to speak to the newcomer, perhaps not knowing if said newcomer was a Leeroy Jenkins or anything, She waited for his response...

Chris took aim with his spear, with his ice magic's effective range he would have to close the distance between himself and Yukiko. Chris activated his repulsors and moved off the ground heading towards Yukiko, trying to close the distance as much as possible. With a few meters now between him and his target he started channeling his magic through his spear, but by doing so started to produce the noise of ice cracking, Chris scowled it was always the same, he was supposed to be part of a stealth group but his magic wasn't the quietest. Yukiko heard the noise and turned, Chris knew that now was his only chance, he dashed towards Yukiko's left leg, without realizing that she had already put up an electrical barrier around herself. Chris found this out too late, his spear hit the barrier which sent the electrical current through the spear. While his suit absorbed some of the shock the damage was enough to shock him and disable his repulsors. Falling towards the ground Chris realized that if he didn't win he wouldn't get another chance to defeat Yukiko or his sister, turning Chris threw his spear towards Yukiko's left leg, if by some miracle it hit he knew he had won, the spear connected with the leg damaging the engine reducing its flying capabilities, then he hit the ground.

Fate looked and tilted her head in confusion, as the newcomer, Tsaku, introduced himself. She then bowed her head down, and since her mech did not have a Face-plate, she had to use her Technomancy to convert the Targetter into a Microphone, which as she spoke, reverberated out of the mech itself "Ah, Hello... My name is Fate, it's Nice to meet you..." The proud tone was evident in her voice, but then said in a lot less prideful tone "I'm now known as 'Lost', at this moment, I'm looking for a certain place to get some pieces of metal so I can upgrade this thing". She turned the Flight ring on her Mech back on a little, causing a few pieces of junk to come towards her, and orbit her slowly, she muttered to herself, but loud enough for the microphone to pick it up, and thus the newcomer to hear it "Such shoddy pieces of metal, but they always make great weaponry..."

"Look. I'm not looking for a fight." He said, thinking of last night's bar brawl that started him on this path. "If it makes you feel any less threatened, here." He said as he caused his mech to fold neatly back into his backpack. "I saw you off the coast and didn't know what I was seeing. I had to make sure everything was ok. Im actualy looking to upgrade this guy too," he said, gesturing toward his mech's compartment. "I'm a New Earth Strategist and Coordinator, but I'm not too big on fighting if I have the option not to. You said you were lost. How about I put you up for the night, and we can see about getting you found in the morning. I have some light training in the morning, but I'm sure Jenkins wont mind pushing our session back a few hours. I even have a garage where you can park your mech, if you like." He said, brandishing a set of keys. "You can even hold on to these if you're worried about someone getting into the garge while you sleep. I live just a block back that way," said Tsaku, as he pointed to a small building about a block away.

"Oh. and if you were wondering, N.E.A.R. stands for New Earth Atlantic Reservation. That's where you are, by the way. N.E.A.R. 6. There are 9  East-Coast Reservations in all." he casually mentioned, keys dangling from his slightly outstretched hand.

Chris woke up laying in an unfamiliar bed, a quick look around told him he was in the infirmary which meant one thing he was hurt a lot more than he realize in that fight. After leaving the infirmary, an alarm started to sound. The alarm either meant that their was an enemy attack or an emergency like a fire. Rushing to the assembly point, Chris found out the hard way what the emergency was, he was hit full on by a small drone. Looking up he saw a black and blue Mech hovering about 10 meters off the ground, "Pruina Harena, stiria captionem," Chris muttered then forming a piece of ice whispered "et delinquit glacies." The Ice mutated into a small bird and fell towards the mech. The drone that had ramed him connected back to the mech, which then started heading south. Chris whipered agained and the frost on the ground disappeared and the ice bird reformed into a chunk of ice.

Giggling, Fate then said, in a more joking tone, "I would have to politely decline, Mister Tsaku, I'm pretty sure you'd do... rather unclean things to me in the middle of the Night~", She decided she was gonna have a bit of fun with this guy, She exited her Mech as a gesture that she meant no harm, but then, at that instant, it fell apart , apart from the ring, with everything turning off, perhaps answering the question of the lack of standard Mech Energy "My Mech can't be taken anyway, it's only powered by a special kind of Magic, and as far as I know of... I'm the only person that has it~" several pieces of junk flew to her hand as she spoke, and they started to change form as she held it, then more junk flew towards her as whatever it was got larger and larger, until a Civil War Replica Cannon was made from about 1/3rd of the Pile of Scrap Iron Beside her.

Tsaku laughed, "I'd be tempted, I'm sure, but I can control myself. Im guessing that your magic IS probably unique, but may be a blend of 2 or more styles of known magic. That's just my guess, however, and I would be less than surprised if this machine manipulation magic truly is a new form of magic to itself."

"So you're looking for parts?" Tsaku asked. "I take it by how you use them, that you're a scavenger? I was the same growing up, but I took a different approach to getting what I needed." he said, as he whispered something below his breath and faded from view and grabbed a piece of scrap and walked toward Fate. He quickly made himself visible again and tossed the scrap away, so as not to be mistaken as a threat. "I can manipulate light. Make things invisible or make them look larger or smaller than they are. I can even make a mirage appear, if I need to." He said as a second Fate appeared beside him for a moment, but quickly vanished. "It takes a bit out of me, so I don't do it too often. Would you like me to show you around?

Chris thought about what that mech was doing, why was it here and why did it retreat almost instantly after he started casting his magic? Turning Chris walked towards the garage where his mech was being stored. Upon opening the garage his felt something wrong. Looking into the office he saw that two of of the mechanics were dead, both with two holes in their chests, checking over them, he felt no presence of magic. Climbing into his mech, Chris felt a pain in his chest, the pain from the drome was getting to him. switching his mech on he discovered that it had taken more damage after the fight. Channeling his magic through the mechs circuits, Chris took off heading in the direction of the unknown mech. Checking his radar, he saw it heading towards North America, the capital country of the UAA.

Fate then said "Machine Manipulation you say?", afterward, she concentrated for a moment on her new cannon, as it writhed and changed form again, and after a while, It shed it's black metal to become a Much more modern cannon, very much the same, but much larger than the guns on the Mechs, "I refer to the term 'Technology Manipulation' to describe what my Magic is", Tsaku then remarked about her possible use of parts, but she bowed her head down and said "That, and I do... certain other methods, but I mostly scavenge and scrounge up the junk metal, would really love to get my hands on a Particle Cannon or something to that effect someday". Tsaku then Demonstrated what kind of Magic he did, then asked her to show her around, her response? "Sure? Why Not?".

Looking around Chris couldn't see the mech he was following, heading back towards the base he saw movement and stopped. Below him was something he didn't want to see. The same mech he was following had snuck up on him, charging its weaponry remarkably quietly for the size of them. Focusing a barrier in front of him Chris dropped towards his opponent. With the distance between the two of them getting shorter he knew that it would be too dangerous to fire the cannons his opponent had. The mech deactivated its weaponry and moved back and sent a ceasefire signal. Acknowledging the signal Chris put down his barrier and activated his radio, "Who are you?" Chris said into his microphone.

"I am only known as Nine to others, only I know my name." The voice which responded was neither male nor female but a combination of both. "Now let me pass and stop following me, I don't want unnecessary violence, and I don't want to kill a child." Hearing those words triggered rage in Chris. He didn't like being called a child and seeing what Nine had done to two mechanics he knew that violence was the last thing on Nine's mind. "Just let me past I have completed my mission and aren't you worried what other people would think of you disappearance." Chris knew Nine had a point, as soon as the bodies were found and he and his mech were gone it would arouse suspicion. Chris turned and headed back to Japan.

"Alright then." he said, "The New Earth Atlantic Reservation Number 6, or N.E.A.R. 6, as everyone likes to call it, is home to just over 400 New Earth and unaligned mages, mech pilots, and civilians." He said, as they headed down the street. "It's nothing fancy, of course. Our limited resources have to be focused on the health of our citizens and maintaining a strong defense. Mostly, you'll see mages and pilots around. The majority of the civilians like to keep a low profile, due to their overall distrust of magic and mech tech. Youve already seen the junkyard, the abandoned gas station, and where i stay. Most people, except higher level military and diplomats to and from the UAA, live in homes much like mine. I would warn you about the vultures...scavenger thieves that like to make off with mechs or trick you out of them to that end, but I doubt that would be a problem for you. Here, we're coming up on the comissary, where most people go to get food and clothing or anything else they might need." They continued walking for an hour or so, and then Tsaku said, "So that's home. What about you? You said you were lost. Where are you from?"

Fate added to the conversation, keeping it to a whisper, mainly about the UAA Diplomats part "I hope none are from the African base, I think they might be still ticked at me running off with a leg from one of their mechs" and the vultures part "And not many people realize I can form one if I want to..." When Tsaku asked about where she was from, Fate then said "I actually live just a little to the east of Ireland, at a country known as Sealand, The world's Smallest country... we're actually not recognized by pretty much any country, since it's citizens only consist of like 50 or so people, and thus unclaimed by any of the factions, That's not to say that we'd let you claim us" she finished in a haughty tone and crossed her arms, as she waited for a response from Tsaku, not knowing his response to her 'feat' in Africa

"I thought Africa used larger mechs. Or did you haul off a leg from one of those behemoths? Oh well, it doesnt matter. I dont think we have anyone from there in town right now." Said Tsaku. "I've actually heard of Sealand. A guy I ran into a few years back said that his grandfather was acquainted with Roy Bates. So what do you do for fun back home? I hear the place is different since the fire, so I don't really know what there is to do out there anymore."

Chris sat in his room thinking over what had happened, he was reckless. He had disobeyed the rules, following an intruder without raising the alarm. He got up and walked over to his computer. Switching it on he checked recent news from the EAOC. According to it there was a large uprising in China and Mongolia following harsher laws on food transport. He knew that despite the high tensions between the UAA and the EAOC both relied on China and Mongolia for a large portion of industry. Looking a bit more he also saw there was to be a international meeting taking place in Kyoto, as New Earth were a neutral faction meetings between the UAA and EAOC always took place in Japan. A downside to this was if any of the politicians were killed it would mean that both factions would enter war with New Earth. Scrolling down he saw something he didn't want to see, one of the guards for the EAOC's ambassador was his sister. At this moment Chris received an e-mail, opening it he saw that he was one of the people selected to guard New Earth's President.

Fate then said "I actually hauled off a leg off of one of the big 'behemoths' as you say." When Tsaku asked about what she did for fun, and how things were different after the fire, she responded first of what she did for fun "Well, For fun, I just travel around, collecting junk, and turn them into all sorts of mundane stuff such as Solar Panels, Kitchen knives, such and such, I also have fun trying to push my Technology Manipulation, see how far into the future I can go with things" she took that cannon from earlier and focused hard, it writhed as it shifted forms again, Light glowing from her hands as it did, she closed her eyes, thinking that something might go wrong, but when she opened them, in her hands laid a large hilt, it was black, and large enough for a Mech to hold it, yet she held it with a single hand. "My Technology Manipulation requires Ideas to guide it, the more powerful the person, the farther into the future they can delve with ideas"

"That's quite interesting." he said. "I wish we could continue, but I have to get some rest. My original offer stands. If you would like, you'r welcome to sleep at my place. I can stay on the couch while you take my bed." Tsaku added, "In either case, I'd like to meet tomorrow and see what we can do to help figure out where you need to be going. That is, if you still want to go there."

Fate Giggles to Tsaku and said "Again, I'll decline, you'd need your rest, besides, I have pretty tight requirements to sleep, and I doubt your bed will pass them~", Fate then turned and said to Tsaku "Besides, The place I want to go is a place I've been to many times before, you've already done enough to help out, so thank you, and bye~" Fate then walked back towards the junkyard, to the pile of junk that was her Mech, and put it on, Her Flight ring then shot towards her, with a massive amount of junk following it, as if it was drawn to it like a magnet, attaching each and every piece that followed on the ring and on the mech, which then flew out of the junkyard, and took off, holding her new sword as a prized piece...

As Fate flew out of the USA Airspace, she had changed her Microphone into a map again, hopefully flying to Africa this time, however, She was not paying attention and unintentionally rammed another mech, causing her to be on guard and turn away a little, changing her map into a microphone again, just in case her accident victim spoke...

(> BTW Radiant, Advanced Clause says 4 lines of text, not 4 sentences <)

Archived