Fixing Banned Cards

So this is a problem that has been bothering me for a REALLY long time. Our Banlist is big, ugly and did I mention big? Half these cards can be fixed pretty f***ing easily. I simple word change or a OPT addition. With OCG giving us the precedence with DSF, this idea may actually have some hope of success. All ideas and inputs are appreciated.

CARD THAT ARE NOT BANNED IN ONE OR BOTH FORMATS ARE NOT INCLUDED HERE. 

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (FS: Limited)

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn: You can discard up to two of cards to the Graveyard to target the same number of cards on the field; return those targets to the hand. 

Destiny Hero-Disk Commander (FS: unlimited)

When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Draw 2 cards. Each player can only use the effect of "Destiny Hero-Disk Commander " once per Duel.

Butterfly Dagger-Elma  (FS: unlimited)

The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard while equipped: You can return this card to the hand. You can only use this effect once per turn.

Cards of Safe Return  (FS: limited)

Once per turn: When a monster is Special Summoned to the field from your Graveyard, you can draw 1 card. 

Imperial Order  (FS: limited)

Negate all Spell Card effects on the field. During each of your Standby Phases, pay 700 Life Points or destroy this card.

Magical Scientist  (FS: limited)

Pay 1000 Life Points: Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck in face-up Attack or Defense Position. That Fusion Monster cannot attack your opponent's Life Points directly, and is returned to your Fusion Deck at the end of the turn.  You can only use this effect of "Magical Scientist" once per turn.

Makyura the Destructor   (FS: limited)

During the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, you can activate one Trap Card from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Makyura the Destructor " once per turn

Mass Driver  (FS: unlimited)

Once per turn: Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field to inflict 400 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points. 

Fishborg Blaster  (FS: unlimited)

If you control a face-up level 3 or lower WATER monster: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is used as a Synchro Material Monster, all other Synchro Material Monsters must all be WATER. Each player can only use the effect of "Fishborg Blaster" once per Duel.

Mind Master  (FS: limited)

Once per turn: You can pay 800 Life Points and Tribute 1 Psychic-Type monster, except "Mind Master", to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Psychic-Type monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. 

Premature Burial  (FS: limited)

Activate this card by paying 800 LP, then target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Attack Position and equip it with this card. When this card is destroyed, destroy the equipped monster.  You can only use this effect of "Premature Burial" once per turn

Rescue Cat  (FS: limited)

You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Rescue Cat" once per turn

​Royal Oppression  (FS: unlimited)

Either player can pay 800 Life Points to negate the Special Summon of a monster(s), and/or an effect that Special Summons a monster(s), and destroy those cards. You can only use the effect of "​Royal Oppression" once per turn.

Subsitoad  (FS: unlimited)

Once per turn: you can Tribute 1 monster to Special Summon 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck, except "Frog the Jam". "Frog" monsters, except "Frog the Jam", cannot be destroyed by battle.

Tribe Infecting Virus  (FS: limited)

Once per Turn: Discard 1 card from your hand and declare 1 Type of monster. Destroy all face-up monsters of the declared Type on the field. 

Chaos Emperor Dragon-Envoy of the End  (FS: limited)

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. During your Main Phase 1: you can pay 1000 Life Points; send  Destroy all cards in both players' hands and on the field to the Graveyard, then inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

Spellbook of Judgment  (FS: limited)

During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, add different "Spellbook" Spell Cards from your Deck to your hand, except "Spellbook of Judgment", up to the number of  "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card's resolution or you can Special Summon from your Deck 1 Spellcaster-Type monster whose Level is less than or equal to the number of cards added to your hand by this effect number of  "Spellbook" Spell Cards activated after this card's resolution. You can only activate 1 "Spellbook of Judgment" per turn.

So this is a problem that has been bothering me for a REALLY long time. Our Banlist is big, ugly and did I mention big? Half these cards can be fixed pretty f***ing easily. I simple word change or a OPT addition. With OCG giving us the precedence with DSF, this idea may actually have some hope of success. All ideas and inputs are appreciated.

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
You can discard any number of cards to the Graveyard to target the same number of cards on the field; return those targets to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier" once per turn.

Not even fucking fixed, at all.

Destiny Hero-Disk Commander 

When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Draw 2 cards. Each player can only use the effect of "Destiny Hero-Disk Commander " once per Duel.

This one isn't half bad but still gives you a burst of stupid advantage.

Butterfly Dagger-Elma

The equipped monster gains 300 ATK. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard while equipped: You can return this card to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Butterfly Dagger-Elma" once per turn.

Hmm, not sure, I'm not too concerned with this one atm.

Cards of Safe Return

When a monster is Special Summoned to the field from your Graveyard, you can draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Cards of Safe Return" once per turn.
Once per turn feels like it kills it but banned cards do need to get killed to come back.

Imperial Order

Negate all Spell Card effects on the field. During each of your Standby Phases, pay 700 Life Points or destroy this card.
What the actual fuck, you didn't do anything to this really, at all.

Last Turn

This card can only be activated during your opponent's turn when your Life Points are 1000 or less. Select 1 monster on your side of the field and send all other cards on your side of the field hands to the Graveyard. After that, your opponent selects and Special Summons 1 monster from their Deck in face-up Attack Position and attacks your selected monster. (Any Battle Damage from this battle is treated as 0.) The player whose monster remains alone on the field at the End Phase of this turn wins the Duel. Any other case results in a DRAW.

​This effectively does…what, now? What purpose? No, I don't like this.

Magical Scientist

Pay 1000 Life Points: Special Summon 1 Level 6 or lower Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck in face-up Attack or Defense Position. That Fusion Monster cannot attack your opponent's Life Points directly, and is returned to your Fusion Deck at the end of the turn.  You can only use this effect of "Magical Scientist" once per turn.

No comment atm.

Makyura the Destructor 

During the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, you can activate one Trap Card from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Makyura the Destructor " once per turn
Hmm, ok.

Mass Driver

Tribute 1 monster on your side of the field to inflict 400 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points. You can only use this effect of "Mass Driver" once per turn

Once again we're effectively making this do nothing.

Fishborg Blaster

If you control a face-up level 3 or lower WATER monster: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. If this card is used as a Synchro Material Monster, all other Synchro Material Monsters must all be WATER. Each player can only use the effect of "Fishborg Blaster" once per Duel.

Once per duel effects need to be really great to warrant it, this isn't one of those situations.

Mind Master 

You can pay 800 Life Points and Tribute 1 Psychic-Type monster, except "Mind Master", to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Psychic-Type monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. You can only use this effect of "Mind Master" once per turn

Ok at this point you're just doing the same thing over and over. Except, it works with this one.

Premature Burial

Activate this card by paying 800 LP, then target 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Attack Position and equip it with this card. When this card is destroyed, destroy the equipped monster.  You can only use this effect of "Premature Burial" once per turn
Was it spammed more than that to begin with?

Rescue Cat

You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Rescue Cat" once per turn
This isn't worse than Fishborg, why is it OPT? I mean, it fits, but still.

​Royal Oppression

Either player can pay 800 Life Points to negate the Special Summon of a monster(s), and/or an effect that Special Summons a monster(s), and destroy those cards. Each player can only use the effect of "​Royal Oppression" once per turn.
You only need to use it once, but it's still stupid as fuck.

Subsitoad

You can Tribute 1 monster to Special Summon 1 "Frog" monster from your Deck, except "Frog the Jam". "Frog" monsters, except "Frog the Jam", cannot be destroyed by battle. You can only use this effect of "Subsitoad" once per turn

At least copy and paste it after the appropriate effect. 

Tribe Infecting Virus

Discard 1 card from your hand and declare 1 Type of monster. Destroy all face-up monsters of the declared Type on the field. You can only use this effect of "Tribe Infecting Virus" once per turn

I'm still confused, you only do this ONCE really….Rageki gets the job done too, imo.

Chaos Emperor Dragon-Envoy of the End

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. During your Main Phase 1: you can pay 1000 Life Points; send  Destroy all cards in both players' hands and on the field to the Graveyard, then inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each card sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

Still finishes games instantly, does it not?

Overall, I get the gist, but this feels poorly executed.

I like how all you did was slap a "You can only use [name] once per turn" clause, on like, everything.

I mean you could have, for example, been a pro and made Brionac require full Ice Barrier materials; Would make it damn near unplayable but eliminate all possible abuse with it, while it's effect stays the exact same.

And as for cards like Rescue Cat... How the f*** would "once per turn"-ing it fix any of it's issues? It's still given the wide-as-f*** range of targets that it has, and can still make plenty of Extra Deck monsters while STILL being playable off cards like Call of the Haunted/Soul Charge/Summoner Monk. Your change fixes nothing, outside of "slowing it", which hardly effects it at all. And don't say making it slower balances it, because I just mentioned that it's still fully capable of accomplishing it's abuse goal.

ITT: Put a hard OPT clause on everything. Pot of Greed can only be activated once per turn. Dimensional Fusion can only be activated once per turn! So can Yata-Garasu!

Disk Commander is still retarded because, on its Special Summon, you still get a Pot of Greed. It'll never be better than Pot of Greed as a 1/duel effect, but it's still Pot of Greed.

Elma's Dagger does not need to be nerfed to come off the banlist and be @3. It's terrible outside of the OTK and the OTK is too inconsistent nowadays even with RotA @3. The limitation makes it stop being stupid though, but it sucks beyond belief.

I'm not exactly sure if a 1/turn CoSR can exist right now. In Decks where it works, Supply Squad works crazy wonders, and this will just be a much more generic version of that.

Imperial Order is still dumb for being an easy-to-set-up card that shuts down part of the game. Imperial Order needs to be like... Majesty's Fiend or something.

You've nerfed Last Turn into a you-sided field nuke bar one that lets your opponent Special Summon from the Deck.

Magical Scientist triggers GB Gyzarus. Well, it has Ignition Beast Volcannon going for it, which is a monster kill + lots of damage. Other than that, it's a variant Instant Fusion: worse in that it probably takes up your NS and is more easily negateable, better in that it gets Level 1 stuff like 141. And Instant Fusion is dumb af.

Makyura's one of those "stupid or suck" cards as well. At best, now it can die in your opponent's turn so you can pull off a much-harder-to-stop Mirror Force or Prison... yay.

Mass Driver is worthless, and probably outclassed by something now.

I don't recall Rescue Cat being notorious for being used multiple times per turn, though that's probably happened a few times back when. Plus, Konami released support that totally breaks Rescue Cat even more ever since its ban.

Royal Oppression is still dumb because it's comparable to Vanity's Emptiness, which kills things on its own, but Oppression doesn't die to anything.

TIV arguably could have came back earlier, but its chances were shot when Atlanteans happened since it triggers them. At its very best, it's Lightning Vortex.

I don't like the idea of CED-EotE being a full field nuke, since you can just play this before you explode your hand onto the field or whatever.

I don't recall Rescue Cat being notorious for being used multiple times per turn, though that's probably happened a few times back when. Plus, Konami released support that totally breaks Rescue Cat even more ever since its ban.

The days of Rescue Cat had Premature Burial and Brionac.
Let that sink in.

Overall, I get the gist, but this feels poorly executed.

Once per turn: You can discard up to two number of cards to the Graveyard to target the same number of cards on the field; return those targets to the hand.  -Brio better?

Imperial Order no longer has a turn of cost, so you can't kill it when you want to play spells either

RC=uniflora loop for quasar

Oh, sorry on Turn, fixed now

Fishborg is a second GUB for water decks. If GUB is a OPD, then so should Borg

Sorry about Subby I was tired

No, depending on the type, TIV can need to hit again. 

CED is now a Blackrose that can burn for a cost. Chances are you're gonna be burning little compared to what IDK DSF can do.

Yes I nerfed Mass Driver cause that card is a stain on the game

You misunderstand RO as I have it. Say I flip RO, I can only negate 1 ss, so if your deck can do multiples then you're good. In this way its better than vanity for decks that have a manner of resilience 

I like how all you did was slap a "You can only use [name] once per turn" clause, on like, everything.

I mean you could have, for example, been a pro and made Brionac require full Ice Barrier materials; Would make it damn near unplayable but eliminate all possible abuse with it, while it's effect stays the exact same.

And as for cards like Rescue Cat... How the f*** would "once per turn"-ing it fix any of it's issues? It's still given the wide-as-f*** range of targets that it has, and can still make plenty of Extra Deck monsters while STILL being playable off cards like Call of the Haunted/Soul Charge/Summoner Monk. Your change fixes nothing, outside of "slowing it", which hardly effects it at all. And don't say making it slower balances it, because I just mentioned that it's still fully capable of accomplishing it's abuse goal.

I'm not interested in making a monster unplayable. I don't want it to be game breaking is all

The Uniflora 1c Quasar loop is my concern TBH

Imperial Order no longer has a turn of cost, so you can't kill it when you want to play spells either

It's still a card that shuts off a part of the game, like Royal Decree, but Spells are MUCH more relevant than Traps are. In fact, the biggest out to Decree is MST, which Order would stop.

Oh, sorry on Turn, fixed now

So, now it wipes both boards (except for one of your monsters, and your opponent can SS one) for free except for what you lose, and can be played pretty much like CED can. The disruptive factor that this card offers breaks the card.

No, depending on the type, TIV can need to hit again. 

What TGM is saying is that he knows nothing TIV is essentially a worse Raigeki. Well, it's actually a worse Lightning Vortex. TIV's biggest advantage is that it triggers Atlanteans and you can nuke multiple times, but needing to hit multiple times to clear the frontrow is a weakness (in addition to being much easier to respond to than Vortex).

CED is now a Blackrose that can burn for a cost. Chances are you're gonna be burning little compared to what IDK DSF can do.

But unlike Black Rose, CED doesn't need you to spend the resources you currently have on making it. You just put it on the field, and nuke away. It won't be as good of a nuke because of the resistance this current format has against destroying, but it still is a Black Rose that doesn't hinder your future plays much, if at all. Arguably, it's now even easier to OTK with it since you still will have a hand afterwards.

You misunderstand RO as I have it. Say I flip RO, I can only negate 1 ss, so if your deck can do multiples then you're good. In this way its better than vanity for decks that have a manner of resilience 

This is saying that you have to spend more resources just to play normally. And like Oppression as it is now, you can just make your big plays, then flip this and you get Solemn Warning 1/turn. It's saying that you can't do anything unless you can explode really big. You know how Solemn Warning, if used right, does a ton of damage to your opponent? Or how flipping Vanity's at the right time can make your opponent -1 himself or force him to keep a frontrow of weak monsters that were supposed to be Xyz Materials? This is like those, but this sticks around and doesn't kill itself.

I'm not interested in making a monster unplayable. I don't want it to be game breaking is all

The Uniflora 1c Quasar loop is my concern TBH

You can still just Uniflora or otherwise revive it next turn, you know. Looking at BA, they can get Tour Guide every turn for a few turns, and they're doing good, are they not? Cat is more versatile since you can spit Synchros or Xyzs at your opponent, and you can use Cat even if you didn't NS it.

• 3 weeks later...

And as for cards like Rescue Cat... How the f*** would "once per turn"-ing it fix any of it's issues? It's still given the wide-as-f*** range of targets that it has, and can still make plenty of Extra Deck monsters while STILL being playable off cards like Call of the Haunted/Soul Charge/Summoner Monk. Your change fixes nothing, outside of "slowing it", which hardly effects it at all. And don't say making it slower balances it, because I just mentioned that it's still fully capable of accomplishing it's abuse goal.

I made a change to oppression such that it won't be as powerful anymore

It's still a card that shuts off a part of the game, like Royal Decree, but Spells are MUCH more relevant than Traps are. In fact, the biggest out to Decree is MST, which Order would stop.

Correct, but now unless the player is using a monster mash deck or some crazy trap deck he will be fucked and 2) he will lose eventually unless he goes - to kill his own trap with something like Black Rose

So, now it wipes both boards (except for one of your monsters, and your opponent can SS one) for free except for what you lose, and can be played pretty much like CED can. The disruptive factor that this card offers breaks the card.

I gave up on this card

What TGM is saying is that he knows nothing TIV is essentially a worse Raigeki. Well, it's actually a worse Lightning Vortex. TIV's biggest advantage is that it triggers Atlanteans and you can nuke multiple times, but needing to hit multiple times to clear the frontrow is a weakness (in addition to being much easier to respond to than Vortex).

when were mermails last relevent? Give this card a soft OPT and limit it. 

But unlike Black Rose, CED doesn't need you to spend the resources you currently have on making it. You just put it on the field, and nuke away. It won't be as good of a nuke because of the resistance this current format has against destroying, but it still is a Black Rose that doesn't hinder your future plays much, if at all. Arguably, it's now even easier to OTK with it since you still will have a hand afterwards.

do you think its better to be in MP2? I'm worried that might be a finisher to battle then, You literally have to be at piss 0 state to use this mp1 unless you are playing BA and everything is rootbeer float

This is saying that you have to spend more resources just to play normally. And like Oppression as it is now, you can just make your big plays, then flip this and you get Solemn Warning 1/turn. It's saying that you can't do anything unless you can explode really big. You know how Solemn Warning, if used right, does a ton of damage to your opponent? Or how flipping Vanity's at the right time can make your opponent -1 himself or force him to keep a frontrow of weak monsters that were supposed to be Xyz Materials? This is like those, but this sticks around and doesn't kill itself.

Oppression is a lot weaker now. Your opponent can neg as much as he wants, you can only neg once

You can still just Uniflora or otherwise revive it next turn, you know. Looking at BA, they can get Tour Guide every turn for a few turns, and they're doing good, are they not? Cat is more versatile since you can spit Synchros or Xyzs at your opponent, and you can use Cat even if you didn't NS it.

I would like to test this at some pt, anyone up for a testing of RC's power post OPT?

• 2 weeks later...

You can only use this effect of "Makyura the Destructor " once per turn.

Unneeded if it's Limited.

Mass Driver is useless now... it's hard to nerf something like that, but just make it, perhaps, 800 damage.

Disk Commander:

When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Draw 1 cardEach player can only Summon 1 "Destiny Hero - Disk Commander " per turn.

Rescue Cat:

You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Rescue Cat" once per Duel.

OR:

You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s), except Beast-Type monsters, the turn you activate this effect. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase. 

Fishborg is unnecessary for OPD. Once per turn is fine.

Tribe-Infecting doesn't need to be hit. Who would run it today?

You can only use this effect of "Makyura the Destructor " once per turn.

Unneeded if it's Limited.

Mass Driver is useless now... it's hard to nerf something like that, but just make it, perhaps, 800 damage.

Disk Commander:

When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: Draw 1 card. Each player can only Summon 1 "Destiny Hero - Disk Commander " per turn.

Rescue Cat:

You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Rescue Cat" once per Duel.
OR:
You can send this face-up card to the Graveyard to Special Summon 2 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monsters from your Deck. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s), except Beast-Type monsters, the turn you activate this effect. Those monsters are destroyed during the End Phase.

Fishborg is unnecessary for OPD. Once per turn is fine.

Tribe-Infecting doesn't need to be hit. Who would run it today?

1) makyura-Unlimit it then
2) mass driver is supposed to suck
3) like your edit
4) sure either work tbh
5) it's glow up in a water deck
6) KoA and KoJ seem to think it deserves to stay banned....

Dimension Fusion:

Pay 2000 Life Points. Both players Special Summon as many of their removed from play monsters as possible. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card. You can only activate 1 "Soul Charge" per turn.

Future Fusion: 

Reveal 1 Fusion Monster in your Extra Deck and send, from your Main Deck to the Graveyard reveal in your main deck, the Fusion Material Monsters that are listed on that Fusion Monster Card. During your 2nd Standby Phase after this card's activation, Special Summon 1 of that Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck and target it with this card. (This Special Summon is treated as a Fusion Summon.) When this card leaves the field, destroy that target. When that target is destroyed, destroy this card.

Pay 2000 Life Points. Both players Special Summon as many of their removed from play monsters as possible. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this card. You can only activate 1 "Soul Charge" per turn.

This is only a partial fix. It's still horribly OP. It stops crazy loops and OTKs, but the card is still a crazy good Soul Charge. And speaking of Soul Charge, dat wording........................................ ^^

Archived