A possible new moderator.

Zextra and I have been discussing this issue for a while now [and this is also being discussed concurrently with the other moderators].

As many of you know, Zex was the only CC moderator for a time until this past July, when Striker, myself and .Saber were promoted to help keep stuff in line. However, we had that incident with Striker (scroll down a few threads and you'll find it), which caused him to resign voluntarily and then .Saber quit due to lack of interest in YCM (and as a result, the Custom Cards section). I had informed you all about .Saber's resignation via a news announcement, as he didn't wish to publicly announce it himself like Yin/Phosphorus (Rinne) had done.

Think that's enough background info, so I'll cut to the chase and tell you why this exists.

Basically, Zextra and I have considered some potential members to replace Striker and .Saber as Custom Cards moderators, based on their activity in the section and knowledge of the game.

At the moment, Zex and I can handle the general CC forums on our own, but the Other TCG sections are something that's beyond our reach of effectively moderating. While both of us do play other card games, either they're not really in existence anymore or our knowledge of the games in question aren't quite high enough to effectively offer fixes and promote good design. We're looking for a new CC mod who knows the TCG/cardmaking state well; and also is adept at other CCGs besides Yugioh. Right now, that person is Nai (Ain, or whatever names you may refer to them by).

(At the time of this thread, only other games that are relatively popular in CC are Vanguard and MTG; former of which are made by Black / Ain.)

There are some other members whom we have in mind (such as Gadjiltron, Voltex/ABC; should they be willing to accept), but we're planning only one new mod at this time. (3 mods should be optimal for CC; if we need to go the 4th one, it will be considered when needed, but not right now.)

I've also spoken about this with Night via PMs during the Striker affair, so he knows about the potential nominations.

---

The question was originally posed in one of TGM's statuses ("If Nai becomes a mod b/c of Aix..."). I asked Ain if they'd be willing to accept that role after explaining what they were needed for [which is essentially help us out in regular CC, and provide help on the other games]; they said "yes".

We chose Ain because of their knowledge of other CCGs, namely CFV (which is a popular game here); alongside general knowledge of cardmaking and the TCG for Yugioh. Ain is also well known around YCM; even though they've only been here for a year and a half now.

[I recall reading that Black had a recommendation of them back in April or so; does that still hold now?]

----

We have considered the comments from the Striker debate thread, and to avoid another incident like that, this thread is here to voice your concerns about the matter before a new moderator is promoted.

(While the mods discuss our opinion of the issue, the rest of you are free to voice your thoughts here)

Is Ain a good pick for CC modship or are there better options?

Explain your reasoning, and remain civil while doing so; thank you.

(Members who have 100 posts or more are eligible to comment. We'd like to get the opinion of members who have some understanding of what's going on in YCM & the section itself.)

Ain, you may want to explain your thoughts in detail about this as well, considering this is more or less about you being possibly promoted if the rest of the staff (and YCM) thinks it's okay. Zex and I are fine with it, as we've discussed this issue since the Striker incident.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's how I think the process for moderator selection should go:

1. ask for who is actually interested in the position

2. moderators discuss who from those responses they want to be a mod

3. mods consider how that member is respected among the userbase 

4. moderators appoint said qualified, interested, and respected person to the position.

EDIT: liked -> respected

The third reason you noted was one of the factors in deciding potential candidates this time around. 

We chose people based on their skill set and how well they're liked/known around YCM.

Of course, it means nothing if the member doesn't want to do it. That's why I asked Ain (although in a status reply instead of a formal PM) if they're willing to accept the role. Since .Saber left, CC needs a mod who knows the metagame well enough to make calls on things. I have some knowledge on what's going on, but I don't feel that it's high enough to go it alone.

I had mentioned the above names: Nai/Gadjiltron/ABC/Voltex in the mod forum during the Striker affair as potential replacements. Black nominated the last two during the CC mod vote (and I agree with them, based on observations of those two).

Gadjiltron had my personal recommendation, because as shown from his reviews in RC and even in card contests, he definitely knows what he's doing in terms of flavor/cardmaking and their links to real things. I think a lot of people know who he is, but I may be wrong as to the extent.

As for the first one, that's why the issue was brought up in the mod forum after discussing it with Zextra. At the moment though, the others haven't weighed in on it

It's not my call to fully decide on whom gets to replace .Saber/Striker in the section; needs to be brought up with Night/evilfusion/LZ since they can promote the newer staff members [alongside Aix and whichever of the normal mods are left now], along with the rest of your opinions.

(Because this will be a member in charge of keeping part of YCM in order; it's important that they can have your respect and do their job properly)

evilfusion, I sincerely apologize if I'm overstepping my boundaries by posting this sort of thread.

@Aix: Come to think of it, no they haven't.

In the Other TCG forum, yes. Here in CC, where they're being recommended: Not so much.

They do have 2 1v1 contests they participated in; but for the general sections, I haven't seen too many comments.

Hmm, I suppose that their activity here isn't as high as I had originally thought.

But perhaps that was a good reason for posting this: actually figure out if our nominations are even active in the section we want them in; because those were made a couple weeks ago.

So more or less, it boils down to Gadjiltron (his activity is definitely there, but whether or not he'll be willing to take that role is unknown since we didn't ask him yet), Voltex, ABC; and pretty much whoever else you all think is suited for the position.

The main things needed right now (at least for Zex and I) are:

• knowledge of cardmaking/TCG to some extent
  • someone who is adept at other CCGs besides Yugioh.

Like I mentioned earlier, they should be active in whatever section they're being nominated for [or least show some degree of activity in there].

It does no good if we have a mod in charge of a section they're rarely active in.

(Granted, I don't post as much as I'd like to in CC [despite being in charge of it, alongside Zex] due to lack of ideas and academia, but I am still around to give fixes when I need to; and keep things in order.)

Well, I was planning to return again to RC/CC/1v1, but the Halloween event got me sidetracked.

But, I'll support Gadjiltron as an alternate option. He's really active at reviewing, and to me, that alone would make him quite a nice mod, activity is pretty much one of the most important value that a moderator could have.

@Striker: I'm technically doing contest stuff as well; though I leave most of the 1v1 stuff up to you in most cases.

(If I have to intervene, it's usually for people not following the voting requirements).

But helping out that section also helps; HOWEVER, they need to contribute to the other sections as well. This is something J-Max mentioned when he voted no on your staying as a mod.

Like Aix mentioned when he wanted to get rid of the mandatory judge exam, there needs to be a better way to teach members what constitutes a good/bad card than forcing it on them. (I remade the exam to be optional)

@Ain: Yeah, that's why I chose him and you as nominations.

But if you're going to return to CC after the event ends; then it'll help a lot.

I remember Aix saying that you nominated her [Ain] in the original nomination thread; just needed to check if that still holds six months from that point (now), and it does.

That being said, the other mods should weigh in with their opinions, especially evil/Night given they usually handle the promotions.

Aix mentioned he's fine with Nai getting promoted [though he just needed to check if she's actually in the section where we need her services].

I feel like Ain would be great as a mod, have thought so since Black brought it up at the beginning of summer. Even so, he is not too terribly active in CC from what i have seen. Gadjiltron, though he had never come to mind, feels like a great option as well.
Tl;dr either sounds fine, though i feel Ain could be better used elsewhere, like, idk, RP.

Just asking, is there a level-limit or something that you have to be like the number of posts or stars or something else that you need to be to be a mod?

Not necessarily.

At one point, we did have a mod with less than 1,000 posts (TyrantKing10); never really saw him do much as a moderator back in 2009.

The decision's based on how active you are, and your relationship with the community; so post count does play some factors from what I understand of any mod promotion policies (considering most of the mods are over the 5,000 mark; Axi currently isn't but it doesn't really matter).

Also, do people know who the heck you are? Have you proven yourself to be capable of handling situations appropriately (such as not getting into flame/spam wars with other members), etc? How active are you in the section we're eyeing you for?

There's a lot of criteria, but I don't believe post count really factors into any staff decisions,

Well Black nominated Nai in the first place back in April.

(However, our decision to nominate Nai was based on our own observations of them)

Gadjiltron feels like the best decision.

Either him or Nai would work.

More or less, CC needs a new copy of .Saber [or in accurate terms, someone who understands the TCG well enough]

As noted earlier, Nai knows about CFV stuff, so that's a huge help for us (considering it's popular).

I don't like double posting, but this is more or less relevant to the original thing (Ain being considered for a mod position).

Yesterday, Aix has mentioned that he will taking a break from YCM for an undisclosed period of time; and will need a replacement to fill in while that happens; said replacement being Ain (by his own recommendation).

In a similar vein to how they were approached for the CC offer, Ain was asked on their feelings about assuming the RP/Fanfic position + filling in. They're willing to take the position (and if possible, assist with CC duties as well); assuming RP doesn't take too much difficulty to moderate. [I don't frequent that section].

So, what are your thoughts on this? (Should change the title to "Possible new moderator" since it's not really about Ain's recommendation to the CC staff anymore)

If this is the case, we'll need to speak to Gadjiltron about wanting to accept the position. Or he can voice his opinion in here; either way should work.

And as usual, the other mods should have a say in the issue.

While speaking with Ain, if given the choice, they'd prefer to take over RP/Fanfic [but can help in CC when needed].

With the consideration that the mod forums are relatively quiet now [and we don't want a similar situation to what happened in your case (choose a mod b/c we need a new one], best that you all weigh in before replacements are named.

Archived