A possible new moderator.

I find myself posting mostly in Realistic Cards, Roleplaying, and Misc.  General, as well, but I'm not sure how needed someone is around that section, if at all.  I am a semi-active cardmaker, but I've had a bit of trouble balancing things in the past.  I like to think I have my head on straight these days.  I think Marcos and Zai can attest to how straight-edge I can get when I'm serious about something.

Honestly, I'd like to be in charge of making sure General is in order, with Roleplaying as an easy second choice, as that's the other place I like to call home.

I think Legend Zero is somewhat in charge of General, last time I checked; but a second staff member to keep an eye on it while he's gone might be of use.

Considering the kind of stuff that's been posted in that area lately, might be good to have someone to keep order within the area; because things can get out of hand.

Other mods haven't really said anything about Zai taking over for Aix though.

Not commenting on Agro though.

Granted, he's been here a while and is popular with a lot of you, but not quite sure where he's most active in, nor if he's suited for the role.

(If he's chosen, what does he plan to do for the section he's given charge of?)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm not really fit for the role, but I'm on this website about 18 hours a day, and I'm on General quite a lot.

No offense but being on a lot isn't really enough. Otherwise I could be a mod, which would be a bad idea. There's plenty of other things that matter, as has been said many times in this, and other such threads.

....What happened with this by the way? We still have had no news about new mods lately.

I know I'm not really fit for the role, but I'm on this website about 18 hours a day, and I'm on General quite a lot.

Considering you joined less than 3 months ago, you haven't really made yourself well known among YCMers.

Maybe in a year or so, you'll be considered; if you can prove to us that you'd be a good fit.

I would say age is a factor against you as well; considering most of the staff is over the age of 18 (Axi being the exception at 16-17, I believe).

---

I say this from experience; back in 2009, I somewhat nominated self in a similar vein to what you're doing now; more or less got chewed out by Sushi.

Dark days, indeed. 

No offense but being on a lot isn't really enough. Otherwise I could be a mod, which would be a bad idea. There's plenty of other things that matter, as has been said many times in this, and other such threads.

....What happened with this by the way? We still have had no news about new mods lately.

Pretty much summed it up.

Activity is a good thing, but also you need to be well-established here and gained our respect.

Technically speaking, this was brought up with the other moderators (and with Night personally); Nai's a good choice from what they've seen of them. However, that's about it.

Not quite the discussion when I was considered, along with .Saber and Striker.

Although they're holding off on the promotion (Nai is) due to health reasons at the moment. As for Zai and Gadjiltron, those are still up on the table.

Considering I still have threads from the mod forum in my content, I know they have been talking amongst themselves.

Yeah, we have; but just that section is dead lately.

Surprised that you still see them; even though you resigned and shouldn't be able to see stuff in there.

I should note that evilfusion did mention good things about Gadjiltron when the point got mentioned; mainly that he's shown to act maturely.

That being said, while Nai deals with their health issues (and I told them to let us know when they feel better + are ready to take the position), Aix's sections lack an active moderator to watch over them. Zex and I will be fine managing the CC area on our own for a while longer [not that either of us has problems].

Considering you joined less than 3 months ago, you haven't really made yourself well known among YCMers.

Maybe in a year or so, you'll be considered; if you can prove to us that you'd be a good fit.

I would say age is a factor against you as well; considering most of the staff is over the age of 18 (Axi being the exception at 16-17, I believe).

---

I say this from experience; back in 2009, I somewhat nominated self in a similar vein to what you're doing now; more or less got chewed out by Sushi.

Dark days, indeed.

That's just the way it is, I suppose...

But I do agree with you & CowCow. I not very well known by everyone and I DID join 3 months ago.

Although I don't really think age should be a factor, as I can be very mature/ responsible when I need to be. Only problem is that I won't be respected because of my younger age.

Out of fairness, we DID have a 13-15 year old moderator back in the old days [think that one was Hioco or something, who's now retired and certainly older than he was back then].

Same goes for glasstin/Hobbes back then (for comparative reasons, is a week/half younger than I am).

Then again, Aix got promoted at 15-16 last year, so age isn't really a factor here (even though rest of us are either college-age or working force). I think Mugen's 17 or 18; haven't checked his profile lately.

In essence, it boils down to experience and respect among YCMers.

Like I mentioned earlier, you're still relatively unknown + haven't shown that you have the mindset to be able to break up arguments if any AND be in charge of an entire section (including locking/deleting threads, enforcing section rules, handing out appropriate warns/bans as deemed necessary. etc.) Wait a couple years after you've gotten better known here.

---

Anyway, with regards to Zai and Gadjiltron, former still needs to be discussed. I know Aix mentioned it before he left, but not much discussion on it; could possibly be that rest of us don't frequent the area often to know who's a good fit. Best person who knows is Phosphorus, since he was a co-mod alongside Aix (and subsequently was nominated by him).

If Ain is dealing with health issues and Fanfic/RP really needs a mod to watch over it, then we can try getting opinions on Zai's promotion (since Aix had him as a secondary option). Or one of the current staff can check in from time to time; much like how Flame looks at Other TCG.

(As you've noticed, we can moderate all sections on YCM; just that the section we're assigned to is just the area our efforts should be most focused in. I deal with CC mostly [b/c that's my section, along with Zex], but I deal with things in the other areas when needed.)

Think Night can handle the GFX section on his own.
Judging from activity lately, a second mod isn't really warranted now.

You could fill Yin's other role in Anime/Manga though, but don't think you're interested in it.

I'm definitely interested in that actually. I'm really big on graphic design and anime/manga. Even if showcase doesn't need another moderator, if Anime/Manga needs one, I could be a moderator for that and a backup for showcase.
All up to you guys though. I know I'm not very active on ycm at the moment but that's mainly because I feel like I don't have a place and I don't contribute to much here. This would change completely though haha.

I don't foresee things getting hectic in A&M; maybe aside from some occasional flare-ups or essentially anti-shipping things, as shown lately from the Naruto ending.

Think Roxas is in charge of the area as well, last time I checked, but I understand he's busy with work and other things offline.

I'll leave this up to the rest of YCM if you'd be a good moderator for A&M (and a backup for Night if needed). Hopefully the rest of the mods (who are still here) give their two cents on the matter.

I don't really frequent Anime&Manga; I go in there, yes, but only for the Arc-V thread and the occasional XY/Naruto stuff.

To be perfectly fair, this thread was opened mainly for Ain's supposed promotion for Custom Cards (and later RP, as nominated by Aix to fill in) and how you all felt on the issue.

Then, Gadjiltron and Zai were brought up for CC/RP respectively.

In essence, the point was for you all to give your opinions if Ain or whoever else was nominated would be a good fit for whatever job. While yes, getting new replacements for the staff who recently resigned would be nice; we'd like to see who's the best fit.

(A word of warning; not all of the staff members frequent every section here, so it proves difficult to really say how well you contribute in there, when you're being considered.)

The rest of the staff does not want a repeat of what happened to Striker last month; considering that one of the complaints were that we aren't being transparent with you all, in regards to potential mod candidates.

Keep in mind that I'm still the youngest of the mods, in terms of holding the title, so I don't intend to speak for the rest of the staff when I say this. However, while you all may have opinions on who's best; Night/evilfusion/LZ have the final say in who gets promoted (though certainly not without some discussion from the rest of us, and factual evidence that would suggest that there shouldn't be problems).

I'm definitely interested in that actually. I'm really big on graphic design and anime/manga. Even if showcase doesn't need another moderator, if Anime/Manga needs one, I could be a moderator for that and a backup for showcase.
All up to you guys though. I know I'm not very active on ycm at the moment but that's mainly because I feel like I don't have a place and I don't contribute to much here. This would change completely though haha.

trying-too-hard-gif.gif

I mean I hate everyone so in theory Ain wouldn't be the worst pick because I hate her one of the least, I'm just chatting crap for real though just don't pick someone who is an asshole and we are all good. Although if you are a sexy asshole you can get away with it.

The activity of a section is almost completely irrelevant as mods only rarely ever act as damage control and even if anything arises most of the time the sections dedicated mod isn't even online so someone else handles it. 

New mods can offer far more to the forum than merely locking threads and issuing warns. That's what makes the proposition of new mods in our current state quite pivotal and something we should not only take seriously but also something we need to act on. 

CC needs more mod support, that's obvious. We've already got one mod set to be instated within the week, we'll see about promoting another if need be.

More importantly we need to mend our current staff team taking into account the fact that we lost some kids recently, 3 or so general-purpose mods is honestly something that could prove to be fairly beneficial. 

What can mods do that normal members can't beyond damage control?

Access the acp, and as a subset implement features, manage members/forums with greater ability, check overlooked logs, etc. Honestly with access to the acp the change a mod can make is essentially limitless since there's shit in there that we don't even know about yet, every week someone finds something new in there seemingly by accident.  

Aside from the acp there's general forum implementations that are done and spoken about in the mod forum, some that never actually gain traction and others that just don't get support, with more mods eager to make changes this would happen far less frequently.  

A few questions.

What mods do we have now that are active? How many usually are needed?

What is it that mods do on a day-to-day basis? And what do they need to be able to do?

This isn't just questions for now, but also for the future.

Sakura, FD, evil, Roxas, Mugen and myself. With Zex, LZ and Aix being on temporary leave. 

As you can see, it's pretty aparent we're short staffed as this is the lowest we've ever had, 12-13 active staff members has always been the staple it seems. 

What we do changes on a daily basis, some days there's nothing to do and nothing to discuss and some days there's constant deliberation. I'd rather not throw anyone under the bus but as of late it's just been very quiet and it seems as though no ones doing anything except doing their rounds, checking reports (if that) and then heading off. Some of us have been doing this shit for a long time, and for some the motivation and enthusiasm dies out. Again, that's why new mods are pivotal to keep the team fresh with new ideas and constant discussion in an effort to make progress. 

Aside from joining the discussion when major implementations are being made, mods don't actually need to do anything. If you get promoted we trust that you'll be able to take care of shit yourself, be innovative and be responsible enough to not fuck anything up. 

In terms of what we want from a potential new mod, ingenuity and enthusiasm, that's it really. I personally don't want someone who's going to get online, read the reports, check their section, issue warns, check the mod forum, agree with everything I say and then log off. I want someone who can offer something that the rest of us can't. If there's something you know for sure you can do to benefit the forum, whilst also being able to take on the responsibility that comes with being a mod then I don't see why you shouldn't already be a moderator. 

What we do changes on a daily basis, some days there's nothing to do and nothing to discuss and some days there's constant deliberation. I'd rather not throw anyone under the bus but as of late it's just been very quiet and it seems as though no ones doing anything except doing their rounds, checking reports (if that) and then heading off. Some of us have been doing this s*** for a long time, and for some the motivation and enthusiasm dies out. Again, that's why new mods are pivotal to keep the team fresh with new ideas and constant discussion in an effort to make progress. 

This is one of my biggest things when I see these mod discussions. There always seem to be people who think that more mods aren't needed/the ones that are around are fine/adding more mods will make things worse.

This put what I think very well. New blood is important because it can get new ideas into the moderation forum fairly easily compared to trying to get a current mod to do it for them. It's about more than keeping the forum functioning, but also about keeping it alive.

I agree with the older mods losing enthusiasm and motivation, just because it's a fact. Anyone who's been doing something for a long time is gonna lose motivation, and eventually it'll start to seem like a chore, new blood in the moderation team is a way to combat that staleness.

Sakura, FD, evil, Roxas, Mugen and myself. With Zex, LZ and Aix being on temporary leave. 

As you can see, it's pretty aparent we're short staffed as this is the lowest we've ever had, 12-13 active staff members has always been the staple it seems. 

What we do changes on a daily basis, some days there's nothing to do and nothing to discuss and some days there's constant deliberation. I'd rather not throw anyone under the bus but as of late it's just been very quiet and it seems as though no ones doing anything except doing their rounds, checking reports (if that) and then heading off. Some of us have been doing this s*** for a long time, and for some the motivation and enthusiasm dies out. Again, that's why new mods are pivotal to keep the team fresh with new ideas and constant discussion in an effort to make progress. 

Aside from joining the discussion when major implementations are being made, mods don't actually need to do anything. If you get promoted we trust that you'll be able to take care of s*** yourself, be innovative and be responsible enough to not f*** anything up. 

In terms of what we want from a potential new mod, ingenuity and enthusiasm, that's it really. I personally don't want someone who's going to get online, read the reports, check their section, issue warns, check the mod forum, agree with everything I say and then log off. I want someone who can offer something that the rest of us can't. If there's something you know for sure you can do to benefit the forum, whilst also being able to take on the responsibility that comes with being a mod then I don't see why you shouldn't already be a moderator. 

Okay yeah I see, certainly short staffed. Though, no offense but I hadn't noticed much of a change, beyond not seeing them around. I'm sure there's things I can't see that are issues but it's how it looks from my perspective

And that, that's just it that I was wondering about. It really does feel like mostly all that's being done is typical day to day as you said "making rounds". Which is probably why I haven't noticed much different lately, even with mods leaving.

Hmm. I see then, that makes perfect sense. In this case. I personally think that we can say no to Gadj and Voltex. No offense intended but from what I've seen it seems they would be just that, doing their rounds, maybe with some other stuff. But that's just one person's opinion. We don't want to put someone up who we don't know will make a splash.

Right now, CC should have about 3-4 mods, given it's one of the main areas for members (Three is fine, but if a 4th one is required in severe cases; it can be looked into).

As Night noted, Ain should be promoted soon, after their health improves from what they mentioned to me in PM. 

Zex and I are holding things down on our own for the time being, though extra help would be appreciated; given both of us are university students + have our own RL issues. 

On that note, I don't recall if Icy had any help in CC (except for J-Max and I think Yankee if memory serves me correctly) when I was still here in 2011.

Like to remind you that I was gone during the era of Black/Koko; yes, those two could handle things on their own, but things are different now.

In terms of improvements in CC, there are some things that I had in mind when I applied for the mod position; some of them have already been dealt with, and others are still WIP. The main goal is to increase the quality of content made in CC; which has been done, but perhaps not as much as we'd all hoped. 

--

For a reminder, Ain is slated to take Fanfic/RP for Zex, while filling in the hole left by .Saber. 

Until the promotion goes through, I suppose I'll be keeping an eye on things in there; in addition to my usual area. 

--

With that in mind, if we don't consider Gadjiltron/Voltex due to ideas (granted, Voltex did try to revive the Hall of Fame, but it didn't turn out so well), I really don't think any of the other frequent vets in the section would be worthy of consideration. If there are any, feel free to speak up about them. 

Possible candidates are still being looked at, based on their activity/mentality in the section and YCM as a whole. But outside of the aforementioned ones (Ain, Gadjiltron, Voltex), no one else really strikes me to be honest. 

Archived